Rd 4, Pick 128: RB Ray Davis, Kentucky

He could've gone earlier.  This board is WR spellbound in a negative way.  Having said that, draft some freaking WR's in a WR rich draft.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Blank Stare said:

Sorry to have upset the board gestapo. I said get some speed at the receiver position, as in more. As in additions to what we already have. You know to address the whole explosive plays they think they are missing. 

I think fans think it far more than the Bills do.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

As I said in the discussion thread Ray Davis was my favorite RB in this draft. He is a complete 3 down back who can block in pass pro and has great hands out of the backfield with a strong compact body to run between the tackles. Yes he's older but that doesn't matter with RB's as most of them only get 1 contract anyways.

I think too with NIL in place we're going to see guys that are 23-24 coming out of the draft more often. We're seeing it a bit at an extreme right now as many of these kids come from the extra COVID eligibility as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Great video on Davis on ESPN right now.

Nice little feature - gotta root for the young man

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

He’s a good pick, but I’m not sure I love Beane’s draft strategy thus far. I would feel a lot more confident if we had doubled up on WR.

Maybe they have a veteran trade or Michael Thomas in mind. 

This actual pick though is fine, he’ll be a good addition to the room.

I mean Beane's approach should definitely be focused your confidence level.

• Eyeroll 1

23 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I mean Beane loves his mid round RBs. 

Seems like a decent enough player but really is there any difference between what you can get in round 4 and round 6 or 7 these days? They are a dime a dozen.

Don't hate the player but hate the position and the Bills insistence on using mid round picks on RBs.

A ridiculous thing to say in general.

No one would say that for any other position--to say that is just buying into the stupid illogical 'conventional wisdom' that says running backs are a dime a dozen,  and no longer vital.

Last year disproved that and this year will continue to do so.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Just from a high level philosophy, drafting a safety and a RB with two of our first four picks is bad strategy. The players might be good. But there is extremely low upside with that strategy. It's the two least valuable positions on the team.

You must have said this 100x now...we finally know where you stand after this one

Let's see how things play out.  Davis is a very good player.  Bishop likely steps off the bus as a starter, and future key piece of our secondary.  Coach knows Safeties and if he wanted Bishop (enough to try moving up in the 2nd), he must see some excellent potential.

Nothing worse than ppl getting upset, at an instant.  You did the same on Keon in Jan/Feb, then came around on him.

Point is, we won't know until football starts and how these guys will be integrated in our schemes/impact they make.  We do know that we just lost our key safety tandem, had to use retread at RB2, and had no DT3 behind Ed that could stay healthy/make an impact.

Time will tell, this is a key draft for Beane so if it blows up in his face then I could see a new GM in 1-2 years

4 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

All evidence to the contrary after Brady took over. Cook was the main office of weapon for this team for the second half of the season. I don’t see how that is debatable.

Some people here just don't get it. Despite all the evidence to the contrary they have their heads FIRMLY buried in the sand.  Amazing....truly amazing!

11 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

He’s a gamer. And Cook has limitations. We need tough backs to get those tough 1st downs deep in the playoffs. 

We had Ty Johnson making those plays for us after signing him off the waiver wire.

It's no surprise the board's favorite picks are the safety and the RB. It is easy to find decent NFL caliber players at those spots, and Bishop and Davis both look like day one NFL caliber players. But we don't need just NFL caliber players at easy to fill spots. We need guys at premium positions that make plays. In the 4th round it is of course harder to find those guys but I would still rather try than do the safe thing and draft a dime a dozen RB.

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

I don’t care if he turns out to be better than Thurman.  It still won’t make up for drafting Maybin the year I actually went to the draft.  

He’s quite the artist you know, got any free room on a wall?

1 minute ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I mean Beane's approach should definitely be focused your confidence level.

What a useless comment that adds nothing other than you being mad about an opinion. 

26 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He may be the best RB in the draft.  Beane is 100% need-shopping in this draft - it is what it is, he has zero job pressure.  Good players but I question the value.

If he's the best RB in the draft, how in the hell is that not good value getting him in the 4th round??????? Holy Crikey. Peoples are crazy here. Seems to me a good pick if you get the best guy at a position.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Beane is drafting like he has a lifelong contract with the Bills. We have so much need and RB is not one. 

how is rb not a need? We have James cook and Ty Johnson who is a journeyman type player. If cook went down you had Ty Johnson and literally nothing else

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2