[Vague Title]

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep the 2018 Quarterback class was not my finest hour. For sure. But the "oh anyone who gets something right that GMs get wrong is just throwing ***** at the wall and getting some to stick" is a way of deflecting any criticism from the professionals who sometimes despite all their information make bad choices because a) they misevaluate; b) they convince themselves that what they want to be the case is the case when they have roster holes. 

Hey gunner when you watched Fords tape did you see a guy that could be an adequate tackle with some upside, and a better guard with upside. Or was that just me. For whatever reason he just couldn't put it together, and it may have been no more than horrible work ethic

Edited by ScorpionZero

2 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

This has been a much tougher draft compared to the last few (which is well beyond mosts fans attention spans...) because we have so many more holes to fill this season. When you look at how many players have left, starters and depth, it really brings to light how daunting this offseason is. In the last few offseasons, Beane had filled all the holes, to some degree, before the start of the draft. There was no way to do that this time around. Bills came due, and players aged out this year. There are no luxury picks, no flyers, and no BPAs at unneeded positions for this draft, and by the end of the day, all holes will not be filled.

That will all make this draft a much less satisfying experience for a lot of fans. And it probably also means that Beane/McDermott have to prioritize certain traits in a different order than in previous drafts. Leadership, and durability are probably getting more consideration this time around. Concepts like "raw, but has a lot of potential" are probably less attractive this time around. It is what it is. All I can say is, GO BILLS!

I define holes as lacking guys as starters.  We don’t have holes from that perspective.  Every team is always looking to add or improve depth.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Oh come on. Stefon Diggs is a better player than Curtis Samuel. By any scale. 

Maybe, but what Diggs did in the last 10 games of 2023 is easily replaceable and I’m pretty sure Samuel is up to that particular task.  Hell, whoever they draft today might be up to it…

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. That is the way to see this pick. We have upgraded on Gabe Davis as WR2. But if you see Curtis Samuel therefore as the Diggs replacement we have significantly downgraded at that spot.

there is no Diggs replacement for the offense imo. And there won’t be one.

The offense is changing as a whole. It’s why Diggs was phased out the second half of the season. It’s why Shakir emerged as the leading yardage and reception receiver on the team to close the season.

• Like (+1) 3

For me it is the fact two defenders were taken and one is already only going to be a backup. We couldn't find a backup DT later and taken another WR?

Where is the sense of urgency to get Allen help?

Lastly this last 48 hours just reinforces the fact McDermott makes all the final decisions in this organization.  And until he is gone we are wasting Allen and destined to fail. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. That is the way to see this pick. We have upgraded on Gabe Davis as WR2. But if you see Curtis Samuel therefore as the Diggs replacement we have significantly downgraded at that spot.

It’s all about how you maximize their talent. Samuel is a very good receiver and I trust that Brady will find ways to leverage what he brings to the offense and complement Kincaid, Shakir, and Coleman. We will create matchup problems and have a solid set of receivers with great hands and strong YAC ability. I am looking forward to moving on from Diggs and Gabe.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, balln said:

But our qb doesn’t play that game. Won’t play that game. Even if you get Josh Allen on his best behavior … all

game kc playoffs. He still passed up diggs for a harder longer pass to Shakir. Had 2 mins left. Needed that diggs first down underneath catch -and another first down to get td. 

so I just don’t think Allen will

suddenly change 

Spot on! Coleman seems like he would excel with contested catches that requires a little touch. That isn’t what Allen does best. On the surface it doesn’t seem like a good fit. Let’s see how it plays out. I thought Leggette would’ve been perfect with Allen’s skillset. 

7 minutes ago, ScorpionZero said:

Hey gunner when you watched Fords tape did you see a guy that could be an adequate tackle with some upside, and a better guard with upside. Or was that just me. For whatever reason he just couldn't put it together, and it may have been no more than horrible work ethic

I thought Ford was a guard. I thought he'd be a good NFL guard, but that was where I had him.

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I define holes as lacking guys as starters.  We don’t have holes from that perspective.  Every team is always looking to add or improve depth.

That's not how I would define holes. When your best DB after the starting five is Cam Lewis, that's a hole. DT, and DE are holes. Having both starting LBs coming off significant injuries, and nothing beyond them represents a hole, IMO. I'm frankly not certain that the hole left by the departure of Mitch Morse has been filled. Obviously, there is was hole at WR. We lack a power back. Bass-o-matic utterly crapped out at the end of last season. We lost core special teamers.

Agree to disagree, but I think we got holes!

I don't know why some here think they know better.

There is simply no comparison between what scouts do & what anyone on here could possibly do in terms of research & sheer time put in looking at all of these prospects.  Some who were criticizing the Coleman pick probably saw one youtube video of him, if that.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, balln said:

Like what is their philosophy? Ground and pound and dominate the short and intermediate passing game? Have the biggest guys on offense ?

Absolutely 

McD himself helped bring in this Two Deep/ keep everything in front of you era against the elite QBs.

When Brady came in last year suddenly we had a good running game and Cooke was allowed to cook.

Ball control, shorten the game, keep your D rested….. what one should expect from a Defensive coach. Coleman and Kincaid is like a two TE set where both can catch. IF Coleman can block, even better.

If we get some outside speed next year, we are off to the races again while not getting Josh killed this year.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep the 2018 Quarterback class was not my finest hour. For sure. But the "oh anyone who gets something right that GMs get wrong is just throwing ***** at the wall and getting some to stick" is a way of deflecting any criticism from the professionals who sometimes despite all their information make bad choices because a) they misevaluate; b) they convince themselves that what they want to be the case is the case when they have roster holes. 

Im absolving GM's from criticism at all, and that criticism is what comes later when you know what players are or aren't after stepping on the NFL field and showing who they are.  

I am saying on draft night, these people who have done NONE of the research, no less than 1% what the GM's know and have on these players right now that run around literally coming unhinged on draft night because a guy they "know" wasn't drafted over a guy the "didn't know" is absurd.  And citing the one time out of a hundred they guessed right on a past decision using hindsight is 20/20 is even dumber.  

Its fine to have favorites, its fine to not know who guys are.  But instead of melting down because it wasn't who they expected, maybe go look into that player and see why he was the pick and the kind of player he is instead of starting threads to fire Beane or melting down and whining in every thread because the Bills didn't take a guy a WR at 33 who is actually still on the board in the 4th.  

40 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Coleman will be a WR1 for us.  What people are not realizing is we are not trying to "replace" Diggs and Gabe, we are building a different style offense all together for what Joe Brady wants to do.  We are in now way are trying to get Davis 2.0 and Diggs 2.0 and their focus now is clear about that and Beane has said as much.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This post is so self aggrandising and shocking.  You actually think you're more than a fan that likes putting time into the draft as a hobby.  

36 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Samuel was the Davis replacement. He's a 7-800ish yard receiver in this offense. Coleman is the Diggs replacement as the potential #1, plus Kincaid. Those two are going to fed the ball. I do expect them to still get another burner like Tez Walker, too. There will be a lot of cooks in the kitchen at that point and it will be interesting to see how the receiving corps shakes out.

6 minutes ago, White Linen said:

This post is so self aggrandising and shocking.  You actually think you're more than a fan that likes putting time into the draft as a hobby.  

No I don't, I know exactly what I am. An amateur. That doesn't mean I can't ever have an opinion that is right over a professional. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, julian said:

If you’re suggesting any poster, not just the one in question are essentially running an NFL equivalent evaluation and scouting process here on TBD, then I have a bridge to sell.

It’s cool that fans find so much enjoyment in closely following some college players in an attempt to replicate what the professionals do for a living, but it’s for fun and I’m sure they themselves would admit it.

I don’t put anymore stock into some dude on CBS sports crafting his top 100 than I do a poster here who spends his spare time evaluating college players, neither of them are playing with a full deck of cards.

Its good fun though.

Not trying to be “that guy” but that’s exactly what I am “suggesting.” Scouts follow a very similar process (one of my best friends is a Bears scout). They just have the interview portion. 90% of it is the same. 

29 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Coleman will be a WR1 for us.  What people are not realizing is we are not trying to "replace" Diggs and Gabe, we are building a different style offense all together for what Joe Brady wants to do.  We are in now way are trying to get Davis 2.0 and Diggs 2.0 and their focus now is clear about that and Beane has said as much.  

It'll be interesting to see what Brady does with the receivers. If you look at his history being involved in offenses (Carolina, LSU, Saints) he's never had a receiving TE. Now he has 2. The major production has always come from his guys on the outsides (Diggs--Davis, Anderson--Moore, Jefferson--Chase, Thomas--Ginn Jr.). I don't envision him relying on Samuel to be the guy in that way.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Not trying to be “that guy” but that’s exactly what I am “suggesting.” Scouts follow a very similar process (one of my best friends is a Bears scout). They just have the interview portion. 90% of it is the same. 

We can just agree to disagree, I will say your 90% number you came up with fits your narrative but in no way is  remotely close to reality.

we just have differing opinions, it happens, have a great remaining draft weekend !!!

2 minutes ago, julian said:

We can just agree to disagree, I will say your 90% number you came up with fits your narrative but in no way is  remotely close to reality.

we just have differing opinions, it happens, have a great remaining draft weekend !!!

I’m not saying that most do that level of work. Charting 3 games (or whatever he does) for 140 players is much closer to the scouts than it is to the guys watching YouTube highlights. Guys like Matt Miller do that level of work. NFL teams aren’t doing significantly more. They are evaluating more people but not significantly more depth. That’s reality whether you want to believe it or not.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m not saying that most do that level of work. Charting 3 games (or whatever he does) for 140 players is much closer to the scouts than it is to the guys watching YouTube highlights. Guys like Matt Miller do that level of work. NFL teams aren’t doing significantly more. They are evaluating more people but not significantly more depth. That’s reality whether you want to believe it or not.

It was about TBD posters and their draft evaluations, but even the Matt Miller’s aren’t questioning dozens of former teammates, coaches, front office personnel and random facility employees to gather as much information as possible to ensure as little risk as possible is taken at each selection.

Although I’ll grant someone Like Miller is at least getting some of that information from team sources, the TBD draft guru is not getting the full picture.

Anyway, I’m sure you’re convinced if your stance and I respect your opinion. 

Edited by julian