Rd 3, Pick 95: DT DeWayne Carter, Duke

SDS

16 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

2020 we used a 1st rounder to get Diggs. That is using draft capital for offense.

Fair enough.  However I am still underwhelmed with all of the free agents brought in along the defensive line and defensive ends the past 6 years. Maybe three have played up to the level of their contract.  Our draft choices outside of ed Oliver on the line are pedestrian.  This is a scoring league.  The rules favor offense. Josh is a franchise qb. Get him studs across the board. And off to the races. Stop with this complimentary football nonsense and put up points.  Our defense come playoff time, against better offenses can’t hold them anyways.  The philosophy at one bills drive needs to change. 

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

What I don't see at this time is a star offensive player other than Josh. Mahomes didn't have a star WR, but he had a star TE that he could always rely on. 

Diggs was a “star” how was he in key games? I’ll take good players who step up.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Ga boy said:

Great analysis.  We are close.  Chiefs are not on another level.  They’re not our daddy.  JA17 faced a better D than Mahomey, but that won’t be true next time.   Our day will come.

When? I'm pushing 70.

• Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

And yet I will make a friendly wager with you that Allen has the best statistical season of his career this year. 

Now that I have had an evening, and morning, to settle down from my undeniable disgust from yesterday, Josh could have the best year of his career. I do believe that Diggs was addition by subtraction. I also didn't want to continue with the wildly inconsistent Davis in our lineup. I'm not totally down on Coleman either. I get the pick. My guy Legette was gone anyway. I was hoping we'd double up on WR day 2. We didn't. McDermott got his way again. Doesn't mean the guys we pick will suck, but it doesn't mean I have to kiss this regime's bum like every pick they make is the greatest decision ever. Anyway, I can see Josh playing more free and just spreading the ball around to the tune of some big time numbers. I do hope they add to the WR group early today to help with that possibility. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, QLBillsFan said:

Diggs was a “star” how was he in key games? I’ll take good players who step up.

Ok, so who are our good players that have stepped up in the playoffs? We have yet to have anyone take over a game except for Josh.

3 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

Ok, so who are our good players that have stepped up in the playoffs? We have yet to have anyone take over a game except for Josh.

Gabe 13 seconds Shakir has been good Cook. But your point is well taken. Kelce elevates his game. We need a player to go from good to great in the clutch!! 

1 hour ago, Green Lightning said:

When? I'm pushing 70.

Me too.  Suggestion:  no smoking, moderate drink, lots of exercise, throw in some prayer — all to add meaningful years to your life to enjoy Bills and grandchildren 😎

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

Me too.  Suggestion:  no smoking, moderate drink, lots of exercise, throw in some prayer — all to add meaningful years to your life to enjoy Bills and grandchildren 😎

Done all of that and still no Lombardi. That said, been following since 1963, what's another year?

• Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, flmike said:

You can say that about any QB that pans out. That Brady guy was no. 1 on everyone's board, right?

Not nearly in the same way. QBs do not develop the way he developed in that department. Brady was far more polished out of college and is still considered a lucky find so late. 

16 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Let me guess, "Great pick! Wow, Beane's killing it! Can't believe this guy was still here!"

Funny how that works, isn't it?  

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Had a late 4th on him. If we'd taken him tomorrow I'd be fine with it. Think it was a bit of a reach here.

Well there you have it, we certainly blew it on this one🤦‍♂️

5 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

When? I'm pushing 70.

I hear ya 🥲🥲🥲

• SDS changed the title to Rd 3, Pick 95: DT DeWayne Carter, Duke
19 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Jordan Travis is NOTHING like Josh Allen. Travis at times was late with the throw. Off target on some of the throws too. I love the T.O. comparison a poster used in another thread. I was thinking more Eric Moulds like

Man, if he's Eric Moulds, I am going to change my tune.

On 4/27/2024 at 12:18 PM, QLBillsFan said:

We need a player to go from good to great in the clutch!! 

It may be Kincaid.  It may be Coleman.  

Need one on defense, too. 

15 hours ago, ControllerOfPlanetX said:

Yes….and Duke?  Is that a real College?

Listen to Carter's press conference in Orchard Park.  Without bragging, he said Duke was pretty horrible his first two years, but he and some other guys helped change the culture and make them into a good football team.  And many people apparently thought he'd enter the portal and go to a bigger time school for his senior year.   He made it clear that his loyalty to the program and his teammates kept him there. 

I think that if you watch his video, it's pretty easy to see that the guy can play, whatever school he went to.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/26/2024 at 11:11 PM, joey greco said:

and sure its a nice pick in a vacuum.  but he's a sure backup this year with daquan and ed oliver.

He's a rotational guy in McDermott's system.  He might be getting 40% of the defensive reps by season's end.  That's not half bad for a 3 round pick.

23 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

He's a rotational guy in McDermott's system.  He might be getting 40% of the defensive reps by season's end.  That's not half bad for a 3 round pick.

I wasn't keen on a taking a back-up in the third (Oliver will be the 3-tech starter for years to come) but this reasoning helps me understand it. 

40% of the players, and insurance against injury to one of our top defensive players makes sense there.