Rd 2, Pick 60: DB Cole Bishop, Utah

SDS

21 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Good pick, good value, position of need.  

In hindsight, would have preferred DeJean and the Franklin here, but 🤷🏻‍♂️

DeJean was taken already, wasn't he?

1 minute ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

How do you figure McDermott of all coaches, is going to bench Rapp for a rookie?  Not happening, look at Rapps contract combined with the fact he has a year in the system.

McDermott starts rookies all the time. He just didn't with Elam.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, sven233 said:

This is a solid pick.  He's fast for a S, has good instincts, and can hit pretty well too.  Good athlete on the back end that should grow into a very good replacement for Poyer sooner rather than later.

I mean, the thing is, I will never worry about any secondary picks we make because the one thing McDermott and his system does is maximize player's talents on the back end.  Elam might be the exception here, but his skill set never fit with the system we run.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if he ends up being a solid player somewhere else someday. 

Yet all Elam did was make plays when he got his chances, the whole situation is weird 

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Lost said:

Someone needs to lace Beanes coffee with cocaine next year.  This has been the most melancholy draft I can remember.  Accumulating day 3 picks to fill out the roster with special teamers.  He had plenty of ammo to move around in round 2 but hasn't.  

I'm so confused, you wanted Beane to trade up and use draft capital just to draft Bishop? 

21 minutes ago, Lost said:

Someone needs to lace Beanes coffee with cocaine next year.  This has been the most melancholy draft I can remember.  Accumulating day 3 picks to fill out the roster with special teamers.  He had plenty of ammo to move around in round 2 but hasn't.  

Idk man we’ve hit pretty huge in rounds 3-7 (round 3 is technically day 2 but one of our trade backs got us a 3rd so I included it) 

5 minutes ago, julian said:

Yet all Elam did was make plays when he got his chances, the whole situation is weird 

Very true.  He had a couple of rough games, but that is to be expected when you don't get reps.  But yeah, he may be able to play and we may never know because he's in McDermott's doghouse and can't seem to get out.  This year will certainly be an important one for Elam.

• Agree 1

From Dane Brugler:

STRENGTHS: Rangy athlete who covers a ton of ground … flashes a burst when working top down and has the agility to work around road bloc ks … shades his
coverage and gets a head start based on pre-snap checklist (identifying personnel, formations, motions, etc.) … uses his widescreen vision to hunt crossers and smack
ball carriers over the middle of the field … pattern matched well as a nickel linebacker in Utah’s “Cowboy” package … squares as a tackler and won’t shrink from
contact … physical near the line of scrimmage to handle box duties or set a hard edge … impact ful blitzer who can create havoc from different angles (39 career
pressures) … able to diagnose pullers and work overtop versus counter … NFL coaches will appreciate his competitive toughness and passion for the game … lined up
next to the snapper on punt coverages in 2023 (and he has the skill set for an expanded special -teams role at the next level).

WEAKNESSES: Has some stiffness in his change of direction that pops up in man coverage … overaggressive tendencies make him a target for misdirection, pumps or
play action … does a nice job tracking routes but needs to better balance his eyes between receivers and the quarterback for more opportunities to make plays on the
football … average striker … flies to the alley, but his full-speed angles create opportunities for ball carriers to put a move on him … short-armed athlete and finds
himself stuck on blocks when caught up in the wash … has quite a few personal foul flags on his college resume and needs to stay measured in his attack … modest
on-ball production and never had more than five passes defended in a season.

SUMMARY: A three-year starter at Utah, Bishop was a multidimensional safety in defensive coordinator Morgan Scalley’s hybrid 4 -2-5 scheme. Some safeties play
fast, and others play controlled — Bishop does both, because of the way he always rallies to the football, regardless of his origin point (would rotate single high to the
box to a rolled-up cornerback to a nickel ‘backer, and several other positions in between). Having grown up a New England Patriots fan, Bishop models his game after
Rodney Harrison, and it shows in his competitive demeanor and the way he wastes zero time getting to the football. Although h e has some limitations in man
coverage, he can cover tight ends and shows terrific vision in zone to diagnose route combinations and drive on the football. Overall, Bishop needs to put more
impact plays on tape by setting traps for the quarterback in coverage, but he plays with top-down explosiveness and the football IQ to make plays at all three
levels of the field. He has NFL starter-caliber talent and is ideally suited for a robber role.

GRADE: 2nd-3rd Round (No. 70 overall)

• Thank you (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Wizard said:

Good player...good pick...and a need.

Now, maybe we can get Franklin by trading up early in 3rd with our 3rd and maybe some of our day 3 picks?

I don't know. 

Our 5th round values would require basically 3 extra picks to go way up. I figure 2 5th rounders will be used to get a 4th pick and I figure bears since they run out of picks soon. 

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He’s a good football player. The Bills need more of those. I’m not jumping on the couch but not throwing things at the TV either. Solid 

bingo

not a super steal or huge upside guy but should be a tough middle of the road starter and it’s hard to hate a starter at 60 as you are firmly into coin flip territory and he feels pretty reliable here.