Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

SDS

14 minutes ago, balln said:

I’m not so sure. I think the bills draft players that WANT / are ok with being in buffalo. Unfortunately I can see a reality where there are some prospects that DO not want to play in buffalo (or other spots) for various reasons and it comes across in meetings. I guarantee that factors in their “board” rankings and meshes w the football evaluation 

So in this hypothetical situation you're a WR who is heavily dependent on who is throwing you the ball. So in the draft process you eliminate the possibility of going to a team with one of the best passers in the league because it's cold and snowy there. Despite the fact that on your rookie deal how you perform will decide your NFL fate.

Mandy Moore Reaction GIF by TLC

• Thank you (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

The kid is a physical freak, has a great mindset, catches the ball, and is only 20 so of course guys are like "yeah you can get something out of him."

Yea, you can tell he loves the big stage.  And he’ll bring back fun to the games.  Diggs was having fun the first couple of years, but things got tight.  Keon will lighten things up.  I like it!  Go Bills 🦬🦬🦬

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

That isn't a wild take tbh, especially in light of Coach Prime's very public comments about advising his guys to avoid cold weather teams. 

Then again, JA17 helps a LOT.

He was talking about QBs correct?  Specifically his kid….but was having a discussion about Caleb.  

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

He was talking about QBs correct?  Specifically his kid….but was having a discussion about Caleb.  

I think you MIGHT be right with respect to the focus? But WAS it exclusive to QBs, or is that just how they got into it? 

2 hours ago, appoo said:

This kid has me dying

He's an incredibly likable kid, with natural charisma. Very easy to root for.

It will be both thrilling and heartwarming if it all comes together and turns out well.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

I think you MIGHT be right with respect to the focus? But WAS it exclusive to QBs, or is that just how they got into it? 

Yea he was talking about his kid but convo was about Caleb.

Colorado head coach Deion Sanders hopes his son, quarterback Shedeur Sanders, is selected by a team located in a warm-weather city during the 2025 NFL Draft.

The topic came up as the Colorado coach was discussing USC quarterback Caleb Williams, whom the Chicago Bears are projected to select with the No. 1 pick of the 2024 draft.

Sanders said he had "a problem" with Williams, who spent the past two seasons in the Los Angeles area, adjusting to playing professionally in the Windy City.

"A kid that's coming from California for the last couple years, right? And went to Oklahoma. That's not terribly cold. Chicago's cold, man," Sanders told Russo. "You gotta think about that kind of stuff when you're taking a young man."

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10113180-colorados-deion-sanders-i-dont-want-shedeur-going-nowhere-cold-in-nfl.amp.html

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Billy Claude said:

I certainly hope that Allen was not involved in this pick.   That is not his job.   If the Bills picked Coleman because Allen wanted him then Beane definitely needs to be fired.  My guess is that the involvement by Allen was prefunctory, sort of like King Charles officially has to approve all legislation before it becomes law.

Coleman fits the high ceiling low floor profile of most early round Beane picks.  Except for the 40 time, he is a freakish athlete whose college stats are not super impressive.  Examples include Allen, Edmunds, Brown, Knox, Elam, and Rousseau.  They are betting on  that can teach him to separate in the pros. Hopefully they are right.

You don’t want your all star QB to give feedback on what receivers he thinks would make him the most successful? You think it’s so bad, in fact, that the GM should be fired for listening to his most valuable asset?

Sorry, I just don’t see the logic.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He didn't say he is setting a low bar, he is saying all the people saying we "didn't replace Diggs and Davis" are not realizing how little production actually had to be replaced.  

What has this team been in the past?  SOFT.  Diggs disappears in the postseason...Davis is not a smart player and had unreliable hands and was one dimensional.  Those were our top 2 guys.  

Now, we drafted a dawg in Coleman, how is open when not open, who has incredible hands and a massive catch radius and a redzone beast.  Then we have Shakir who led the NFL in efficiency, catch rate, and yards per target in his 2nd year who is YAC beast.  Then you have the sure handed Kincaid who is a mismatch for defenses and a big target in redzones.  Then you add in a swiss army knife type guy in Samuel who has had between 50 and 80 catches 4 times (Davis never hit 50 even once) and runs a 4.3 forty and never had a chance to play with a real QB.  

Instead of 2 guys who underachieve in the postseason, who drop passes when it matters (yes Diggs did too), and are too often taken out of games...we now have guys who go out and make plays, guys with sure hands, guys who are tough and cerebral.  

Beane, like myself, got tired of the soft team that wasn't matching the toughness and physicality of its opponents preventing us from making that extra play or two to win these tough games where the other does make those extra plays or two.  

I mean we probably beat KC last year if Diggs doesn't drop the bomb.  Who did the Bills turn to for the go ahead TD on the final drive?  Shakir ran a perfect route open to the endzone before Chris Jones bullied Dawkins back enough to step on Allens foot on the throw causing him to short arm it.  

Diggs and Davis are addition by subtraction...just watch this year.  

Outstanding post!  And you are right we are soft.  I'll put up a post later about my thoughts on this very thing.  We don't need to get faster, we need to be stronger, meaner, tougher and more consistent.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Yea he was talking about his kid but convo was about Caleb.

Colorado head coach Deion Sanders hopes his son, quarterback Shedeur Sanders, is selected by a team located in a warm-weather city during the 2025 NFL Draft.

The topic came up as the Colorado coach was discussing USC quarterback Caleb Williams, whom the Chicago Bears are projected to select with the No. 1 pick of the 2024 draft.

Sanders said he had "a problem" with Williams, who spent the past two seasons in the Los Angeles area, adjusting to playing professionally in the Windy City.

"A kid that's coming from California for the last couple years, right? And went to Oklahoma. That's not terribly cold. Chicago's cold, man," Sanders told Russo. "You gotta think about that kind of stuff when you're taking a young man."

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10113180-colorados-deion-sanders-i-dont-want-shedeur-going-nowhere-cold-in-nfl.amp.html

Yeah, you sounded right from the jump. Just thought I remembered a quote in there that broadened the advice, or laid out a more general philosophy about advising his draft eligible guys from the South on where they should be not trying to end up.

2 hours ago, babulator said:

Erik over @cover1 always does excellent breakdowns. If this has already been posted feel free to move.

Loved watching him truck DBs on running plays. Can’t wait until he does that to Gardner. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

This might have been stated already somewhere but there are like 40 pages . I just heard that Keon Coleman is the 1st rookie WR to reach out to Andre Reed. That's pretty awesome and smart trying to get as many football minds to help you especially hall of famers is never a bad thing. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/buffalo-bills-hall-of-famer-andre-reed-connects-draft-pick-keon-coleman#:~:text=Coleman reached out to Bills,in the NFL and Buffalo.&text=This proactive approach speaks volumes,wearing the blue and red.

Just hope this likeable, 20 year-old innocent doesn't take Reed's advice on anything OUTSIDE the scope of football lol. Reed was a dawg on the field, and I'd like guys to have access to Former Buffalo Alphas like Reed and Moulds. Reed was eventually effing AWESOME every other year, oddly, just like Moulds was. But it was SUCH a different league. I mean, look at Reed's career 59.6% catch percentage! Gold jacket! That alternating YoY success is a curious phenomenon for the franchise's first two best WRs. Stevie Johnson of all people broke that pattern, and then of course Diggs set a new paradigm in a new era. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/ReedAn00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MoulEr00.htm

(Love that Shakir is intentionally letting Eric Moulds wear him out on the field this offseason. That's where I want these guys tapping into Bills legends. On the field.)

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

He's an incredibly likable kid, with natural charisma. Very easy to root for.

It will be both thrilling and heartwarming if it all comes together and turns out well.

Beane's comments about Coleman being "Buffalo" (anticipating how much fans will embrace him here) are intentionally the same way he framed Josh Allen for us. And I gotta be honest: he's not wrong. The kid is likeable. Can't tell you how many acquaintances who know how problematic my Bills thing is have reached out to say that Coleman is so grounded/likeable in his press conference (and usually also include how they think his little lisp is endearing fwiw).  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

And that’s my point. Why does beane need to say that? If he is BUFFALO. Then there must be some players in draft process that aren’t BUFFALO. 

Theres some non football evaluation they do specifically w buffalo fit that influences their picks. 

Edited by balln
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2

3 hours ago, julian said:

Tony Dungy says Keon is the best player selected in the 2nd round, actually when I look outside of Bills fans there seems to be plenty of love for this kid.

We shall see.

"You should've just kept me here during my 30 visit"

• Like (+1) 4

43 minutes ago, balln said:

And that’s my point. Why does beane need to say that? If he is BUFFALO. Then there must be some players in draft process that aren’t BUFFALO. 

Theres some non football evaluation they do specifically w buffalo fit that influences their picks. 

Really that's what it has to be, it couldn't be that through the process Beane has interacted with him and knowing the Bills fanbase is a little excited for them get to know a guy he knows they'll enjoy. Or hell it could even be that Beane getting a bunch of stupid ***** for the pick but he knows that when people listen to the guy they're going to really like the guy.

But no it has to be some sort of conspiracy against the team and city because that makes more sense. 😭

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Really that's what it has to be, it couldn't be that through the process Beane has interacted with him and knowing the Bills fanbase is a little excited for them get to know a guy he knows they'll enjoy. Or hell it could even be that Beane getting a bunch of stupid ***** for the pick but he knows that when people listen to the guy they're going to really like the guy.

But no it has to be some sort of conspiracy against the team and city because that makes more sense. 😭

If you don't know about the lizard people, I really can't help you.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1