The Dark Horse WR on the Roster (Beane made reference to guys on the roster elevating their play)

3 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

No argument here, about needing more weapons on offense (regarding your point on prior years).  All in agreement there.

I just don't think any of the guys you listed are capable, and also think this is typical "Beaneisms" this time of year.  

Kincaid/Shakir are the only young ascending players.  Question is still out about their ceiling/development this season.

Beane would be smart to take 2 WRs in one of the deepest classes in quite a while.  

I certainly agree with you on that last point, and about Kincaid/Shakir as ascending players.  But as I said previously, 2 receivers isn't enough.  We need at least 4 (IMO).

I can't disagree on evidence as to any of the guys on that list being capable, but Beane did make the analogy to Terrel Bernard and Boy Howdy, this time last year if anyone asked whether any of Terrel Bernard, Baylon Spector, or Tyrell Dodson were capable of holding down starting linebacker spots (much less Dodson and Bernard starting together), I would have said "Hell to the NO!".  Wouldn't you?

And sure, he may have been using typical pre-draft GMspeak to which people who count (other front offices) doubtless pay no attention so, why?

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

I certainly agree with you on that last point, and about Kincaid/Shakir as ascending players.  But as I said previously, 2 receivers isn't enough.  We need at least 4 (IMO).

I can't disagree on evidence as to any of the guys on that list being capable, but Beane did make the analogy to Terrel Bernard and Boy Howdy, this time last year if anyone asked whether any of Terrel Bernard, Baylon Spector, or Tyrell Dodson were capable of holding down starting linebacker spots (much less Dodson and Bernard starting together), I would have said "Hell to the NO!".  Wouldn't you?

And sure, he may have been using typical pre-draft GMspeak to which people who count (other front offices) doubtless pay no attention so, why?

Not sure why you keep saying "2 receivers".  My point is simple:

1. Can't believe everything Beane is saying right now.  A couple years ago he mentioned counting on Boogie to take hold of a starting DE spot.  Then proceeded to sign Von.  Same example about talking up Dane, then drafting Elam.  He's always propping his current guys and expecting more of them.

2. Beane is going to draft more WRs.  Likely 2.  So when you say we have "2 receivers", that won't be the case in 9 days.

Our core group for passing targets is likely to be: Samuel, Kincaid, Rd1 pick, Shakir, Rd 4 pick, Cook, Knox

As to who those 2 draft picks will be, that's anyone's opinion as of now.  My "hope" is they take:

Rd 1: Worthy (if there),  or Franklin

Rd4: Javon Baker

Gives us 2 legitimate downfield threats, both guys would be versatile to move around the offense (as Beane/Brady seem to want).  They complement each other's skill sets well, ie: Worthy or Franklin are separators/lean/rely on speed and quicks.... Baker is stronger built/capable blocker/50 50 downfield guy, with good speed.

So when Beane makes it sound like the Justin Shorters or Andy Isabellas of our team are to be relied on, that's just GM speak to me.  We've seen nothing from any of the guys you listed that provides what we need.  More likely they're battling for the last WR spot with Hollins, or against each other if we keep 6.  Either way, not a significant impact to our success in 2024

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

Literally wants Shakir to show WR1 potential and talent. JA17 has told Beane as much, so Beane tells us. Those two believe they can pull this off. Make the fans think… Okay, there’s our guy, right there! 

That’s as the roster stands right now. He knows damn well that Samuel better be a good signing. Everyone else is absolutely nobody. He knows the fans know.

Beane is riding with Josh on this one for the Shakir bump to kept the fans from drooling 24/7 over a new WR1 talent. But, Beane knows better too. He says this thing to calm us, but is hard at work to get a top WR in this draft. 

Could you imagine if Beane goes into next season with this WR group + a 2nd round pick. Unless that rookie is an instant game piece, with impact, We better have an improvement ACROSS THE BOARD everywhere else. Better have. RD1 is Edge, RD2 would have to be WR AND S. I think if the Bills pick a second round WR they would have to acquire another R2 pick spent on a R1 talent guy at DLine or S. I don’t know how they get another R2 pick. We have zero players we’d trade for a pick that high. I’m not even sure we have any players worth a R2 pick in a total hypothetical. Maybe Dawkins or Kincaid to a team that’s desperate. I’m not saying the Bills should do that… I don’t think they could even if they wanted to. 

Beane’s getting us a WR. I’ll guarantee it. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don’t even think Shorter makes the team.

Yeah I like Shorter but it’s feeling very Vosean Joseph like. IRed and then waived in year two. Shorter never play a down. Joseph was picked 1 pick before Dre Greenlaw and a few picks before Andrew Van Ginkel, Blake Cashman and EJ Speed. 

Shorter ofcourse went a few picks before Dantayvion Wicks and Puka Nacua. Now I’m not sure he has an avenue to make the roster. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We had a hole at # 1 WR last season.  This year we have a big hole at the 4 and 5 WR spots.  Hamlet or Shorter are my guess.  Both were big time college recruits that were sidetracked by injuries 

And some knee jerk reactionaries wanted to trade Shakir and draft picks to draft WR lmao

1 minute ago, bmur66 said:

Believe nothing GM's say before the draft. Nothing.

It is lying season.  That being said,  Beane comes across to me as a straight shooter.  He gives info without giving up strategy

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Maybe …

Probably even …

But out of interest… what were you thinking about Bernard this time last year ? 

I would still be taking 2 WR early or draft one trade for  one …

Here's the thing about blind squirrels:

finding the nut is the exception, not the rule

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, bearstobills said:

I'm guessing it's Shorter

If Shorter spend the WHOLE year last year and this on the Juggs then maybe, he's not a natural hands catcher and lets the ball get to his body often hence the drops.

Great breakdown but JA is in his prime and deserves more talented receivers.  Terrell B. was a pleasant surprise AND he played next to one of the best LBs in the league.  We got ride of one of the best WRs in the league so none of the receivers the op mentioned will have that benefit.   

• Haha (+1) 1

Maybe Shakir is in line to be diet Amon-Ra St. Brown (similar build, Shakir a little faster), but I’m not staking my season on it. Beane’s refusal to draft WRs in the early rounds of the draft over the last several drafts have put them in this predicament. Just get a guy or two in here picked early in the draft and roll. I’d also be interested in Aiyuk if the draft doesn’t go our way, but preferably for a pick next year if they do it. 

8 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Because we can win games without, and even a playoff game without, but when it comes to the best teams contending for championships, I think we need freaks.

Ideally, freaks who don't drop a perfectly placed bomb in his hands at the most clutch moment of the most important game of the year. Nice knowing you, Stef, glad the next time you choke will be against us in the playoffs. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Beck Water said:

The difference between Bernard and Shorter to me, is that Bernard was practicing with the team and was active for 16 games in 2022 - he mostly played ST, but did get one start and took snaps in 4 other games.  

Shorter, on IR, couldn't even practice with the team.

I think Shakir has shown he's capable of playing in the NFL, but if Beane is counting on him to "elevate" and play a much much larger role -  

We Shall See, I guess.

He might not have physically practiced directly with the team, but I believe he could watch and then work separately.  He said that he really learned and worked hard on improving.  There is no guarantee that he will be good enough, but I think he has put in the work.  I’m not sure that he isn’t as good a prospect as Keon Coleman- both have size and lack desired top end speed and sharp cutting ability.

I would not count on Shorter as an answer as the starter, but it’s possible he shows out.

• Like (+1) 1

With Josh throwing to him instead of Taylor Heineke and Sam Howell, Curtis Samuel will probably up his production a few notches.   Amazing how Beane thinks highly enough about a guy who runs a 4.3 sec  40 and pays him $10m per year, but Bills fans simply ignore the move.  Fans of this team crack me up.  

• Agree 3