How would you construct the 2024 Bills WR Room?

Now that the dust has settled, how would you construct the WR room moving forward? Lay out the 6 or 7 WRs that you believe will comprise the WR room. For anyone not currently on the roster, lay out how they were acquired. There is a lot of talk in other threads about draft taargets, trade targets, guys left in FA. This is meant to talk about ALL of the WRs. Please do not use this as a place to say that we think Kincaid will see the ball more. That’s common sense. Let’s keep this strictly to WRs. How would you build out this room if you were Brandon Beane?

WR room:

- MHJ (Bills trade: pick 28, pick 133, 2025 1st, Minnesota 2025 2nd, Bills 2025 4th) (Arizona trades pick 4) 

- Khalil Shakir

- Curtis Samuel

- Michael Thomas (1 year $8M deal post June 1)

- Jermaine Burton (pick 128)

- Mack Hollins

PS (2 or 3 of):

- Shorter

- Isabella

- Shavers

- UDFA

We are pushing the chips in on a generational talent in MHJ. The Bills get an alpha, that has complete skills, HOF pedigree, on a rookie deal. 

It was hard to find the appropriate value for Arizona but if they think the Bills take a small step back & Minnesota a step back, the value is there. Those picks could be like picks 20 & 38 in 2025. Along with the mid round assets, it gets done. The Bills pay a hefty price but WRs aren’t cheap anymore.

Shakir and Samuel are sort of interchangeable in my mind. They can play inside, outside and run after the catch. Samuel will be used more for gadgets and running plays but they’re both dangerous with the ball in their hands.

The Bills get Thomas on a prove it deal. He’s battled injuries for a while but was once great. The “slant god” gives Allen a reliable, big body target, that can help on possession downs and in the red zone. If it works out, and he stays healthy, the Bills could consider bringing him back. If not, they move on in 2025.

Burton goes to the Bills in the mid rounds. I haven’t been a huge fan of his through the draft process. There are some character concerns. He isn’t a guy that I’ve taken often while doing mocks, but just feels like the right fit to take the top off the defense here. His long speed fits well with this group. He’s been a really good deep ball guy and the Bills need that.

Hollins is a ST guy and has been okay when targeted. He’s a rich man’s Kumerow.

2025 FA class is absolutely loaded at WR (at least at this point). The Bills can decide to chase a big fish (ie Jefferson, Higgins, etc..) if they so choose. The above group should be enough to be competitive in 2024.

To conclude: The Bills give up a lot of assets to get Harrison but immediately fill the top of their depth chart on a rookie deal. They add Thomas and Burton to add a couple of different skill sets to the roster. Overall the group has some balance and a true difference maker. 

How would you build the room out?

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, BillMafia716ix said:

Stay at 28. Draft a WR. The WR class is loaded no need to give up next year 1st. 

Okay, that’s a fair opinion. I’m not looking for “a good guy.” I’m looking for a top of the depth chart, low risk, stud. 

The goal of this wasn’t to say what we wouldn’t do. There’s plenty of that going on here already. This was, “who would be your 6 or 7 WRs on the roster this year and how did you get them?” Obviously we don’t know who will be on the board at 28 but we can use reasonable assumptions. Harrison won’t be, Pearsall will be, Mitchell might be. Be reasonable but lay out what your group would look like

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Okay, that’s a fair opinion. I’m not looking for “a good guy.” I’m looking for a top of the depth chart, low risk, stud. 

The goal of this wasn’t to say what we wouldn’t do. There’s plenty of that going on here already. This was, “who would be your 6 or 7 WRs on the roster this year and how did you get them?” Obviously we don’t know who will be on the board at 28 but we can use reasonable assumptions. Harrison won’t be, Pearsall will be, Mitchell might be. Be reasonable but lay out what your group would look like

Shakir

Curtis Samuel

(Adonai Mitchell, Troy Franklin, or Brain Thomas Jr.)

FA - Tyler Boyd Post June 1

Shorter/KJ Hamler

Mack Hollins. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

While giving up next year's first makes sense in a lot of ways, I don't see Beane doing that. Doesn't seem his style. And it definitely doesn't seem his style to give up so much to try and engineer his way into pick 4. I could see him swinging something to get into the 18 to 20 range

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TPS said:

When folks suggest giving up significant 2025 draft capital for a WR, one name comes to mind, Doug Whaley...

Falcons went to a Super Bowl thanks in large part to Julio Jones.  Just make sure if we do make that move the WR doesn't believe the earth is flat.

• Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Now that the dust has settled, how would you construct the WR room moving forward? Lay out the 6 or 7 WRs that you believe will comprise the WR room. For anyone not currently on the roster, lay out how they were acquired. There is a lot of talk in other threads about draft taargets, trade targets, guys left in FA. This is meant to talk about ALL of the WRs. Please do not use this as a place to say that we think Kincaid will see the ball more. That’s common sense. Let’s keep this strictly to WRs. How would you build out this room if you were Brandon Beane?

WR room:

- MHJ (Bills trade: pick 28, pick 133, 2025 1st, Minnesota 2025 2nd, Bills 2025 4th) (Arizona trades pick 4) 

- Khalil Shakir

- Curtis Samuel

- Mack Hollins

PS (2 or 3 of):

- Shorter

- Isabella

- Shavers

- UDFA

We are pushing the chips in on a generational talent in MHJ. The Bills get an alpha, that has complete skills, HOF pedigree, on a rookie deal. 

It was hard to find the appropriate value for Arizona but if they think the Bills take a small step back & Minnesota a step back, the value is there. Those picks could be like picks 20 & 38 in 2025. Along with the mid round assets, it gets done. The Bills pay a hefty price but WRs aren’t cheap anymore.

Shakir and Samuel are sort of interchangeable in my mind. They can play inside, outside and run after the catch. Samuel will be used more for gadgets and running plays but they’re both dangerous with the ball in their hands.

The Bills get Thomas on a prove it deal. He’s battled injuries for a while but was once great. The “slant god” gives Allen a reliable, big body target, that can help on possession downs and in the red zone. If it works out, and he stays healthy, the Bills could consider bringing him back. If not, they move on in 2025.

Burton goes to the Bills in the mid rounds. I haven’t been a huge fan of his through the draft process. There are some character concerns. He isn’t a guy that I’ve taken often while doing mocks, but just feels like the right fit to take the top off the defense here. His long speed fits well with this group. He’s been a really good deep ball guy and the Bills need that.

2025 FA class is absolutely loaded at WR (at least at this point). The Bills can decide to chase a big fish (ie Jefferson, Higgins, etc..) if they so choose. The above group should be enough to be competitive in 2024.

To conclude: The Bills give up a lot of assets to get Harrison but immediately fill the top of their depth chart on a rookie deal. They add Thomas and Burton to add a couple of different skill sets to the roster. Overall the group has some balance and a true difference maker. 

I could absolutely get on board with this approach. Thomas a low price deal that kicks half the number to next year and is incentive laden makes sense to me and Harrisonnis such a high floor he will be good right away. 

Not totally sure if your offer does it (given you likely have Minnesota offering two 2024 firsts to get there for a QB).... but if it did I'd do it. 

Question is if #4/#5 are not in play what would you give to get to #6 if it means Nabers / Odunze? 

What about to #8/#9 if one of the three is still there? 

Or for you @Kirby Jackson is it Harrison or take your chances at #28 / smaller non future 1st trade up into early 20s?

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, TPS said:

When folks suggest giving up significant 2025 draft capital for a WR, one name comes to mind, Doug Whaley...

Lol, it’s a different world than it was in 2014. The salary cap in 2014 was $133M. The top 10 highest cap hits for a wr in 2014 averaged $12m or 9% of the salary cap. So basically, the teams with the highest paid guys paid them 9% of the cap. In 2024, they average over $26M and 10.3% of the cap. That is BEFORE Jefferson and Chase sign their extensions. That number will be roughly 12% when they do. We need to STOP comparing situations to different generations. For perspective 3% of the current cap is almost $8m of cap space. What happened at WR in 2014 is not comparable to 2024.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I could absolutely get on board with this approach. Thomas a low price deal that kicks half the number to next year and is incentive laden makes sense to me and Harrisonnis such a high floor he will be good right away. 

Not totally sure if your offer does it (given you likely have Minnesota offering two 2024 firsts to get there for a QB).... but if it did I'd do it. 

Question is if #4/#5 are not in play what would you give to get to #6 if it means Nabers / Odunze? 

What about to #8/#9 if one of the three is still there? 

Or for you @Kirby Jackson is it Harrison or take your chances at #28 / smaller non future 1st trade up into early 20s?

Good questions GB. You’re probably right on the value being too low. My thought was more them fading the Bills a little and Vikings a lot.

I’m on board with all 3 but have Harrison at 1. That’s in large part because of the floor as you mentioned. I think his floor is Amari Cooper’s career. His ceiling is Calvin Johnson. 

Apparently the Bills really like Nabers. I personally like Odunze even a little more (although that was partially a fit next to Diggs). If it gets to 8 or 9 it’s an easy decision for me. The Bears lack picks so I could see them being in play.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Lol, it’s a different world than it was in 2014. The salary cap in 2014 was $133M. The top 10 highest cap hits for a wr in 2014 averaged $12m or 9% of the salary cap. So basically, the teams with the highest paid guys paid them 9% of the cap. In 2024, they average over $26M and 10.3% of the cap. That is BEFORE Jefferson and Chase sign their extensions. That number will be roughly 12% when they do. We need to STOP comparing situations to different generations. For perspective 3% of the current cap is almost $8m of cap space. What happened at WR in 2014 is not comparable to 2024.

Also the problem with Sammy wasn't the trade. It was the player. If they had 10 years of 1,000 yard seasons from Mike Evans from that trade up I think people would look on it very differently.

And this is not wise after the event. 2014 was my first year trying to grade prospects... I graded 56 players. I had Mike Evans as the 2nd best player in the draft. Clowney, Evans, Matthews was my top 3. The problem wasn't the trade. It was Sammy Watkins.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Even before the Bills traded Diggs, I was believing the Bills would make a big move up in the 2025 draft to get WR1.  The Bills have too many roster spots to fill in 2024 (S, CB, LB, OL, DT, and WR).

I think the Bills draft 2 WRs this year and sign a veteran WR on a 1yr deal.  Then bust a move in 2025 draft to get a legit WR1 when the roster is more stable.

Edited by juno999
  • Sad 1

i like both the move up for MHJ and the stay put and build cornerstones of our team approach.

One is the Julio Jones move. The other is the Packers move.

I am ok with either but if we only move up to draft random WR not names Marvin than I am out.

• Like (+1) 4

Trade back from 28 to 30-35 (Penix and Nix would still be there) and then use that pick to move up from 60 to 40.

Pick 30'ish - Mitchell or Worthy

Pick 40'ish - McConkey, Leggette, Franklin

Double dip!!

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Trade back from 28 to 30-35 (Penix and Nix would still be there) and then use that pick to move up from 60 to 40.

Pick 30'ish - Mitchell or Worthy

Pick 40'ish - McConkey, Leggette, Franklin

Double dip!!

This is the other best way to do it IMO. I’d love a Legette/McConkey combination. I feel like their games mesh well. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, boyst said:

i like both the move up for MHJ and the stay put and build cornerstones of our team approach.

One is the Julio Jones move. The other is the Packers move.

I am ok with either but if we only move up to draft random WR not names Marvin than I am out.

Picking a WR round 1 would not be a Packers move. 1st round picks are for QBs and defenders in Cheese Land.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Picking a WR round 1 would not be a Packers move. 1st round picks are for QBs and defenders in Cheese Land.

I think that’s what he’s saying. You can either go get the star (a la Julio Jones) or you can accumulate guys in hopes of filling out the room (Watson, Doubs, Reed, Wicks)

• Agree 1

Not saying for sure id do this but on every mock draft simulator it shows the Bills based on the trade value charts could take a receiver at 28 and trade back into the 1st at 29 to 32 by trading the 60th and next years 1st. This would allow us to double dip at reciever and hedge our bets. 

Bills could also just take a reciever at 28 and 60. Polk and other interesting options could be around at 60. 

What I dont want to see happen is the Bills trade up and use this year first. next years first and this years second to do it. I want the Bills to walk away with two receivers this draft from the first 2 rounds. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

If we can move up to pick #4 with what OP proposed, that’s a steal and we should jump on it.  Draft value charts suggest that should only get us up to about pick #11.

Yeah, it’s certainly a little optimistic. The cards would be betting a little on regression from the Bills and Vikings.

I am a big Pelicans fan and they control the Lakers unprotected 1st in either 2024 or 2025. It is likely to be around 15 this year. That’s not a great pick in a not so great draft. Maybe AD gets hurt next year and age catches LeBron and it’s a top 5 pick. However, if the Lakers go add a 3rd star this summer it may be 29 next year. You are anticipating how they’ll be.

The scenario above is predicated on the Cards thinking that there’s too much turnover on the Bills and they become a .500ish team AND the Vikings stink with Sam Darnold and that’s pick 35. now all of a sudden they have a ton of ammo in 2025 (and may need to get a QB). 

14 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that’s what he’s saying. You can either go get the star (a la Julio Jones) or you can accumulate guys in hopes of filling out the room (Watson, Doubs, Reed, Wicks)

Yea it just wouldn't involve one at #28. 

• Agree 2

I don’t believe it is in a team’s best interest to trade up that far for a wr. It is generally not good business to do so, especially with the wr class having as much talent as there is. 
I’d much prefer to stand pat at 28 or move up just a few spots to acquire Thomas jr, Mitchell or Legette. Each has the ability to play the outside x position. 
I also like the idea of double dipping at the wr position and if we could get a Burton in the second (if he checks out mentally) then that would be great. I don’t see Burton lasting into the 3rd round much less the 4th unless there are major character flags (possible) and in that case the Bills would likely have removed him from their board. 
not having a 3rd hurts and if Bills want Burton, Franklin, Baker, Polk etc they would most likely be forced to use the 2nd round pick or trade back a few spots and get them. 
If they wait until the 4th, maybe you end up Malik Washington type wr. I really like him a lot but he is so short and will most likely fall down boards. 
They already have a few veteran wrs and don’t see the need to acquire another unless someone like an Aiyuk becomes available at a reasonable price and we have struck out in the draft at that position. 
A lot of targets will go to Cook, Kincaid, Samuel Shakir and Knox so a true x wr is the important position to add. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

WR room:

- Khalil Shakir

- Curtis Samuel

- Mack Hollins

PS (2 or 3 of):

- Shorter

- Isabella

- Shavers

- UDFA

My room would be something like:

Samuel

Shakir

Rookie picked at or within a few spots of 28

One of: Tyler Boyd/DJ Chark/ late round rookie

Hollins

Shorter/Isabella/Hamler/UDFA battle for spot either on PS or #6 duties depending on how many they keep.

Remember we also have Kincaid, Cook and Knox to absorb targets. That's factors in IMO. I do believe we will add another RB either mid to late rounds in the draft or a vet like CEH on an inexpensive 1 year deal. Plenty of weapons. 

Past that I also would keep in mind that currently I have 2 picks in the second round next year. If the above room isn't showing potential after the first month -month and a half of the season and the team is still solidly in the hunt I become a buyer near the trade deadline for a WR.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

yeah, it'd be trading back from 28.

i'm in the move up all in or trade back and build a war chest for '25 camp. one or the other. no need to stay at 28 because there will be no one at 28 who won't be there 35-45 that is special enough to make us move up.

if we don't move at all: BPA all the way.

4 minutes ago, boyst said:

yeah, it'd be trading back from 28.

i'm in the move up all in or trade back and build a war chest for '25 camp. one or the other. no need to stay at 28 because there will be no one at 28 who won't be there 35-45 that is special enough to make us move up.

if we don't move at all: BPA all the way.

Fair. I just am not as optimistic as some that there will be a cluster of teams desperate to come up to #28. But maybe there will....

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea it just wouldn't involve one at #28. 

a WR at 28 is going to be the same tier as one there at 18-30 which isn't much different than one there at 35-45.

The top 3 will be gone by 12 for sure - and there is a lot of debate who is between 4-8 is because after Odunze, MHJ, Nabers you drop off to have personal preferences of Mitchel, Thomas, McConkey, Franklin, Wilson, Burton....and then Pearsall in the slot.

If we could drop back from 28 and pickup one of those guys and including Pearsall for the slot I would be stoked.

I'd walk around having to adjust my pants all weekend if we traded back to get a pick next year and two WR's in the second.

1 minute ago, boyst said:

a WR at 28 is going to be the same tier as one there at 18-30 which isn't much different than one there at 35-45.

The top 3 will be gone by 12 for sure - and there is a lot of debate who is between 4-8 is because after Odunze, MHJ, Nabers you drop off to have personal preferences of Mitchel, Thomas, McConkey, Franklin, Wilson, Burton....and then Pearsall in the slot.

If we could drop back from 28 and pickup one of those guys and including Pearsall for the slot I would be stoked.

I'd walk around having to adjust my pants all weekend if we traded back to get a pick next year and two WR's in the second.

My wouldn't involve one at #28 comment was in reference to your Packers analogy. They don't pick offensive players in round 1 unless they are Quarterbacks.

1 minute ago, boyst said:

Worthy, Legette  >  Wilson, Burton 

Pearsall seems like a baller.  Is he strictly slot or can he play outside as well? 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Fair. I just am not as optimistic as some that there will be a cluster of teams desperate to come up to #28. But maybe there will....

if I am Seattle I go get Burton on the line then trade back up for the right value to go grab Penix. I'd love to see the Steelers move backup and draft a QB as insurance. That'd be a crowded room but it makes sense because Wilson isn't going to be more than a 2 year player.

A wrench in a lot of this is seeing Denver move back. I bet they do. The Cardinals are going to be moving all over, as well

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Worthy, Legette  >  Wilson, Burton 

Pearsall seems like a baller.  Is he strictly slot or can he play outside as well? 

i don't know everything but i haven't read an opinion on him that doesn't include the slot.

Just now, boyst said:

if I am Seattle I go get Burton on the line then trade back up for the right value to go grab Penix. I'd love to see the Steelers move backup and draft a QB as insurance. That'd be a crowded room but it makes sense because Wilson isn't going to be more than a 2 year player.

A wrench in a lot of this is seeing Denver move back. I bet they do. The Cardinals are going to be moving all over, as well

Penix is possible.... but if you just want the 5th year option on a QB why the Bills at #28? Why not the Lions at #29, the Ravens at #30, the 49ers at #31 or the Chiefs at #32? Probably the Chief would want to stay (and I think in all likelihood move UP) but I think moving back makes sense for the others too. I just don't think it is a given that there are teams battling to have #28. 

There are so many good WR prospects in this draft, it's hard to get behind a trade into the top 10 and what it would cost in draft capital. That said, I am 100% expecting a trade up but it will be somewhere in the 20-26 range. Beane will want to secure his guy. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Penix is possible.... but if you just want the 5th year option on a QB why the Bills at #28? Why not the Lions at #29, the Ravens at #30, the 49ers at #31 or the Chiefs at #32? Probably the Chief would want to stay (and I think in all likelihood move UP) but I think moving back makes sense for the others too. I just don't think it is a given that there are teams battling to have #28. 

28 is as good as 26 or 29.

it'll be a buyers market that late and all about what you can offer in the 2nd.

Just now, boyst said:

28 is as good as 26 or 29.

it'll be a buyers market that late and all about what you can offer in the 2nd.

See I'm not sure it will be a buyers market, because apart from a QB (Penix) I, like you, think there is a tier of talent from about 25 to about 40 that doesn't have a drop off. So sliding back a few spots will be attractive to teams in that range.... but it won't be that attractive to teams in that early 2nd range. 

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Usually the reason is that they’re worried about someone else trading up in front of them. I’ve seen behind the scenes war room videos where the Bills start calling teams with a given trade offer, then keep offering the same package to every ensuing team after being turned down. I.e., pick 20 says no, so they offer it to 21, then 22, etc, until someone at like 24 or 25 says yes. 

If that scenario was reversed, the Bills could find themselves the first or second team called, and just say yes. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

See I'm not sure it will be a buyers market, because apart from a QB (Penix) I, like you, think there is a tier of talent from about 25 to about 40 that doesn't have a drop off. So sliding back a few spots will be attractive to teams in that range.... but it won't be that attractive to teams in that early 2nd range. 

check this out

browsing mocks the last few days I keep seeing scenarios i think are available where teams will want to jump other teams to grab a player/position before someone else.

I think between 20-40 a lot of OL and DL will be on the board and there will be a run on these guys to cause someone to want to jump up. Washington and Carolina have the firepower to jump ahead of anyone late round. Carolina probably does not have the balls to give up a 1 next year. Washington could package 40 and next years first to get to 26-29 to grab DL or OL to start the run.

The WR position is a huge wildcard this year and it will be fun.

I'm all in on wanting two WRs by the end of round 2. I would understand a big trade up for one of the top three WRs but it wouldn't be my preference.

My ideal plan is trading back with Washington to #36 and getting pick #100 in exchange. Draft Legette with #36. Then trade back up into the top half of the 2nd round using one of our 2025 2nds. Draft Troy Franklin. After that we still have a 3rd, two 4ths, three 5ths, two 6ths, and a 7th to fill out the rest of the roster.

I would also sign Michael Gallup to a very cheap one year prove it deal just to give us a baseline outside WR.

Assuming we keep 6 WRs, this depth chart is looking really nice:

Xavier Legette

Troy Franklin

Curtis Samuel

Khalil Shakir

Michael Gallup

Hollins/Shorter/late round rookie

Now we have two WRs that can play outside, get vertical, and pick up YAC, but each with a different way of winning. Two young studs with physical traits to grow under Allen's leadership. Gallup takes the 2020 Gabe Davis role, less explosive but a nice complementary piece to the better weapons on the roster and in a pinch he can fill in outside in case of injury. Samuel is our gadget and our X factor. Shakir picks up where he left off last year. The 6th guy plays special teams and gets maybe 15 targets the entire year.

Where do I sign??

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1