Diggs traded to Texans for picks

3 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

What I found telling and smart for both the team and the players was the Texans and Diggs re-worked his contract into a 1 year deal.  Which effectively gets both parties what they want out of 2024.  The Texans get a player motivated to not cause trouble or make a scene and play his best football because he's on a one year deal and auditioning for free agency in 2025 and Diggs, perhaps having another 1,000 yard season, gets his choice of destinations and one more big pay day after the 2024 season is over and free agency begins. 

If he stays with the Bills, assuming they draft a potential WR1 in the first round Diggs might have seen an even lesser role in the 2024 which would have lowered his value if the Bills cut him loose after the 2024 season.

except Houston has 2 quality players in Nico Collins and Tank Dell 

5 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

What I found telling and smart for both the team and the players was the Texans and Diggs re-worked his contract into a 1 year deal.  Which effectively gets both parties what they want out of 2024.  The Texans get a player motivated to not cause trouble or make a scene and play his best football because he's on a one year deal and auditioning for free agency in 2025 and Diggs, perhaps having another 1,000 yard season, gets his choice of destinations and one more big pay day after the 2024 season is over and free agency begins. 

It worked out well for all parties, except for the only one that I actually care about. It never should have come to this. 

28 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

It worked out well for all parties, except for the only one that I actually care about. It never should have come to this. 

Diggs forced it….Joe Marino had a good rant on it.  F him let’s move on.  This will open up cap in the future for other stars who want to be here 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, julian said:

What did Houston give up to obtain the 2nd round pick from the Vikings that they traded to Buffalo for Diggs ?

"In the deal, the Vikings acquired the No. 23 overall pick in the first round and the No. 232 selection (seventh round). The Texans get No. 42 overall (second round), No. 188 (sixth round), and a second-round pick in 2025, per Rapoport and Pelissero."

https://www.nfl.com/news/vikings-texans-trade-first-round-pick-2024-nfl-draft

• Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, julian said:

What did Houston give up to obtain the 2nd round pick from the Vikings that they traded to Buffalo for Diggs ?

The Vikings and Houston Texans have agreed to a trade that nets Minnesota an additional 2024 first-round pick, 

In the deal, the Vikings acquired the No. 23 overall pick in the first round and the No. 232 selection (seventh round).

The Texans get No. 42 overall (second round), No. 188 (sixth round), and a second-round pick in 2025, per Rapoport and Pelissero.

It would have been really nice if we got the 42nd pick this year in the deal....oh well 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

The Vikings and Houston Texans have agreed to a trade that nets Minnesota an additional 2024 first-round pick, 

In the deal, the Vikings acquired the No. 23 overall pick in the first round and the No. 232 selection (seventh round).

The Texans get No. 42 overall (second round), No. 188 (sixth round), and a second-round pick in 2025, per Rapoport and Pelissero.

It would have been really nice if we got the 42nd pick this year in the deal....oh well 

according to the draft value chart

minn gets #23 pick in 2024 draft is worth 760 points

hou gets #42 pick in 2024 draft is worth 480 points

hou gets #188 pick in 2024 draft is worth 16 points

hou gets #42 ?? pick in 2025 draft is worth 480 points (which could go higher if minn struggles with new qb) which they just gave to bills

hou TOTAL POINTS is 976 vs the 760 they gave up

Edited by papazoid

6 minutes ago, papazoid said:

according to the draft value chart

minn gets #23 pick in 2024 draft is worth 760 points

hou gets #42 pick in 2024 draft is worth 480 points

hou gets #188 pick in 2024 draft is worth 16 points

hou gets #42 ?? pick in 2025 draft is worth 480 points (which could go higher if minn struggles with new qb) which they just gave to bills

hou TOTAL POINTS is 976 vs the 760 they gave up

Usually a future pick (1 yr out) is projected as a mid rounder and value divided by 2.

But in Min situation, I think it's safe to say they'll be selecting between 33-40.  Likely valued in the 500s and divided by 2.  So subtract around 220-250 points from Hou tally (976-220=756).  It was a fair trade, with upside to Hou.

8 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Usually a future pick (1 yr out) is projected as a mid rounder and value divided by 2.

if that is true

would you trade your next years 2025 @ 2nd round pick for my this years 2024 3rd round

Just now, papazoid said:

if that is true

would you trade your next years 2025 @ 2nd round pick for my this years 2024 3rd round

Possibly.  My preference would be to move up into 35-40 range, from pick 60 in Rd 2, and get another highly graded WR (in addition to Rd 1)

4 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Possibly.  My preference would be to move up into 35-40 range, from pick 60 in Rd 2, and get another highly graded WR (in addition to Rd 1)

if your willing to trade your next years 480 points (2nd round pick) for my this years 220 points (3rd round pick)

i'd do that every year with ya. to me this years 42nd pick is worth exactly the same as next years 42nd pick. 

SIAP: reading the MMQB Breer had a couple nuggets. 
1. the Trade had been discussed for a month.

2. Texans were the only team offering a 2nd. (Read to me like no other team was close to a 2nd)

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, papazoid said:

if your willing to trade your next years 480 points (2nd round pick) for my this years 220 points (3rd round pick)

i'd do that every year with ya. to me this years 42nd pick is worth exactly the same as next years 42nd pick. 

It's fine to have that opinion, but that line of thinking is quite different than many NFL GMs.

Not only a year later, but depends how NFL GMs view next years potential draft class.  They're scouting ahead, and looking at team needs for this year and beyond. 

I think any trade scenario discussed is possible (ie:move up in Rd 1 or Rd 2, acquire a 3rd Rd).  I am fairly confident that Beane will use Min's 2nd rd pick (2025) as a trade piece during this draft, or maybe I'm just hopeful. 

Looking at 2025 cap/our situation, we should have the ability to acquire a decent haul in FA.  For 2024, I think we "need":  Boundary WRs (both high picks), S #3 that competes for starter role/ready to take over in 2025, DT (3 tech), and a 4th corner (outside).  RB2, DE and OL depth are nice to haves, but think we sign post June 1st (perhaps OL depth is primarily set)

29 minutes ago, papazoid said:

I always thought the “next year’s pick” was overly discounted by some and applies mostly when you have a regime who is less secure in their standing so they need to win now. I like future picks if you get them discounted. I mean, you end up using them! 

It's an interesting trade because you could argue that everyone loses...

The Bills lose their best receiver with only a 2nd round draft pick to show for it.

The Texans rent a declining wideout for $22.5 million for one year of service.

Diggs has 3 years cut from a lucrative contract at a time in his career when big money offers may never happen again.  

6 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

It's an interesting trade because you could argue that everyone loses...

The Bills lose their best receiver with only a 2nd round draft pick to show for it.

The Texans rent a declining wideout for $22.5 million for one year of service.

Diggs has 3 years cut from a lucrative contract at a time in his career when big money offers may never happen again.  

The Bills rid themselves of a WR who was fantastic for us...

however has begun to decline (at least within our usage of him) & brings negative two faced energy to the team...

has failed in general in the playoffs.   

Takes passive aggressive shots at Josh Allen and the Bills on twitter.

Josh Allen gets to show how great he is with a fresh start and new WR's to gel with

35 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

It's fine to have that opinion, but that line of thinking is quite different than many NFL GMs.

Not only a year later, but depends how NFL GMs view next years potential draft class.  They're scouting ahead, and looking at team needs for this year and beyond. 

I think any trade scenario discussed is possible (ie:move up in Rd 1 or Rd 2, acquire a 3rd Rd).  I am fairly confident that Beane will use Min's 2nd rd pick (2025) as a trade piece during this draft, or maybe I'm just hopeful. 

Looking at 2025 cap/our situation, we should have the ability to acquire a decent haul in FA.  For 2024, I think we "need":  Boundary WRs (both high picks), S #3 that competes for starter role/ready to take over in 2025, DT (3 tech), and a 4th corner (outside).  RB2, DE and OL depth are nice to haves, but think we sign post June 1st (perhaps OL depth is primarily set)

the only GM's who think this years 42nd pick is more valuable than next years 42nd.....is one who thinks he will be fired after this season and not around to use next years pick if his team doesn't improve this season. totally short term selfish reason....not in the best long term interests of the team

• Disagree 3

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

The Bills rid themselves of a WR who was fantastic for us...

however has begun to decline (at least within our usage of him) & brings negative two faced energy to the team...

has failed in general in the playoffs.   

Takes passive aggressive shots at Josh Allen and the Bills on twitter 

I'm not bemoaning the trade.  I'm convinced that it would be a mistake to keep Diggs for four more years on a cap-killing contract.  I also tend to think that there's more behind-the-scenes going on with Diggs and his attitude than we know.  

On the other hand, Diggs counts something like $30 million against our cap this year - and he'll be playing for an opponent.  It's screwed up - not Beane's best moment.  

4 minutes ago, papazoid said:

the only GM's who think this years 42nd pick is more valuable than next years 42nd.....is one who thinks he will be fired after this season and not around to use next years pick if his team doesn't improve this season. totally short term selfish reason....not in the best long term interests of the team

Seriously?   Clearly this was the best he was able to negotiate.  Considering Diggs nonsense on social media and desire to shred his contract so he can hit the market after next year....getting a 2nd is a good trade 

Not to mention we gained a lot of future cap space. 

7 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Seriously?   Clearly this was the best he was able to negotiate.  Considering Diggs nonsense on social media and desire to shred his contract so he can hit the market after next year....getting a 2nd is a good trade 

Not to mention we gained a lot of future cap space. 

beane got great value for a 1 yr rental

this other discussion revolves around some who think that because it's a 2025 2nd round pick....that its only worth half as much as if it was a 2024 2nd round pick....which i do not believe

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, papazoid said:

this other discussion revolves around some who think that because it's a 2025 2nd round pick....that its only worth half as much as if it was a 2024 2nd round pick....which i do not believe

"Half as much" is not accurate, but it is true that in the context of trading draft picks, they lose one round of value for each year into the future that they are. So a 2025 2nd is equivalent in value to a 2024 3rd, and a 2026 2nd is equivalent in value to a 2024 4th.

Now, this formula only speaks to the value of picks in relation to their use in trades. If you look at any draft trade chart, be it Jimmy Johnson's or Rich Hill's, you'll see that this is true.

That said, even if we consider the pick to be of 3rd round value, it STILL seems like a good return for a 30 year old WR on what has become a one-year deal. One need look no further than the compensation given up for Amari Cooper, Jerry Jeudy, Diontae Johnson, etc -- not to mention the comparative compensation given up for guys at other positions like Sneed and Burns -- to see that Beane did quite well.

All of that said, there's a pretty good chance the pick winds up being a high one next year. Assuming the Vikings have a losing record -- not a crazy assumption if they start a rookie or Sam Darnold -- we could be looking at something like the 38th to 45th pick in the draft!

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

"Half as much" is not accurate, but it is true that in the context of trading draft picks, they lose one round of value for each year into the future that they are. So a 2025 2nd is equivalent in value to a 2024 3rd, and a 2026 2nd is equivalent in value to a 2024 4th.

Now, this formula only speaks to the value of picks in relation to their use in trades. If you look at any draft trade chart, be it Jimmy Johnson's or Rich Hill's, you'll see that this is true.

That said, even if we consider the pick to be of 3rd round value, it STILL seems like a good return for a 30 year old WR on what has become a one-year deal. One need look no further than the compensation given up for Amari Cooper, Jerry Jeudy, Diontae Johnson, etc -- not to mention the comparative compensation given up for guys at other positions like Sneed and Burns -- to see that Beane did quite well.

All of that said, there's a pretty good chance the pick winds up being a high one next year. Assuming the Vikings have a losing record -- not a crazy assumption if they start a rookie or Sam Darnold -- we could be looking at something like the 38th to 45th pick in the draft!

i will glady trade you my 2025 3rd round pick for your 2027 1st round pick

i have two 2024 4th round picks.....i will trade both of them for your 2026 2nd & your 2027 1st

Edited by papazoid
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, papazoid said:

Haha. Point taken, but...Don't shoot the messenger. 

I'm not the one who came up with this stuff.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, papazoid said:

i have two 2024 4th round picks.....i will trade both of them for your 2026 2nd & your 2027 1st

I know you're joking but the value changes completely looking beyond 1+ years.

Just passing along info that is widely available and actually was used in the Vikings /Texans trade recently

14 minutes ago, Logic said:

Half as much is pretty darn close...it's actually worth a bit less than half, based on trade value charts

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

I know you're joking but the value changes completely looking beyond 1+ years.

Just passing along info that is widely available and actually was used in the Vikings /Texans trade recently

Half as much is pretty darn close...it's actually worth a bit less than half, based on trade value charts

i'm not joking

after several years of you and i trading like this....you will wind up with the first pick in the draft.....and it will be mine

in fact.....i will trade you my entire 2024 draft.....except my 1st rounder

my 2024 - 2nd for your 2025 1st

my 2024 - 3rd for your 2026 1st

my 2024 - 4th for your 2027 1st

my 2024 - 5th for your 2028 1st

my 2024 - 6th for your 2029 1st

my 2025 - 7th for your 2030 1st

on behalf of the Academy....i accept my executive of the year award.....i'd like to thank my parents.....

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, papazoid said:

in fact.....i will trade you my entire 2024 draft.....except my 1st rounder

my 2024 - 3rd for your 2026 1st

my 2024 - 4th for your 2027 1st

my 2024 - 5th for your 2028 1st

my 2024 - 6th for your 2029 1st

my 2025 - 7th for your 2030 1st

on behalf of the Academy....i accept my executive of the year award.....i'd like to thank my parents.....

The only trade a team would possibly due is the 1st scenario you listed.

Again, going beyond 1 year isn't super common (unless a team massively covets a player).

6 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

The only trade a team would possibly due is the 1st scenario you listed.

Again, going beyond 1 year isn't super common (unless a team massively covets a player).

how bout

my 2025- 2nd for your 2026 1st

my 2026 - 2nd for your 2027 1st

my 2027 - 2nd for your 2028 1st

my 2028 - 2nd for your 2029 1st

my 2029 - 2nd for your 2030 1st

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, papazoid said:

how bout

my 2025- 2nd for your 2026 1st

my 2026 - 2nd for your 2027 1st

my 2027 - 2nd for your 2028 1st

my 2028 - 2nd for your 2029 1st

my 2029 - 2nd for your 2030 1st

If you're being serious, no LOL.

Personally, if I'm giving up a future 1st, it's because I'm moving up for a QB, or a generational talent at WR/LT/CB.

I think you're taking my original point WAY out of context.

At no point was I discussing trading a future 1st.  I'm trying to convey that I think Beane is highly likely to move next years 2nd (either Min or ours), to move up in the 1st or 2nd round

1 hour ago, papazoid said:

Similar value when Beane traded Sammy Watkins as a 1 year rental by the Rams.  He used that pick as part of the trade up for Josh Allen.  

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Diggs really wants the world to know he’s putting in work for Houston. Last year we got runways and fashion.

He loves the attention.   He's a 2 face.  Just wait until he becomes the 3rd option for CJ in their offense 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

He loves the attention.   He's a 2 face.  Just wait until he becomes the 3rd option for CJ in their offense 

They’re going to be good. He’s going to be good. They could literally have 3 1,000 WRs next year. There’s enough to go around. They’re going to throw a lot.

I’ve heard Beane, McDermott, and Allen talk about Diggs being a fashion model. Now they trade him and it’s all football on his social media.

Diggs is a troll IMO. And he loves being a troll. I think he also orchestrated this whole thing. He’s a dick at the end of the day. Can’t trust him.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They’re going to be good. He’s going to be good. They could literally have 3 1,000 WRs next year. There’s enough to go around. They’re going to throw a lot.

I’ve heard Beane, McDermott, and Allen talk about Diggs being a fashion model. Now they trade him and it’s all football on his social media.

Diggs is a troll IMO. And he loves being a troll. I think he also orchestrated this whole thing. He’s a dick at the end of the day. Can’t trust him.

He acted the same way when he first got here.  Diggs met up with Allen and they started connecting 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, papazoid said:

Haha. Thanks for calling this out. 

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

So why’d it stop?

because give a man a reputation as an early riser and he can sleep in till noon

as evidenced by posters in this and other threads...that's diggs and winning/being competitive/et al

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

because give a man a reputation as an early riser and he can sleep in till noon

as evidenced by posters in this and other threads...that's diggs and winning/being competitive/et al

A wise man speaks