DeShawn Williams (DT) Expected To Sign With Bills

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Beane is like a college kid who spent years overdrafting his credit card and now is finally forced to make smart spending decisions. Let's hope it's a long term lesson and not just a short term change out of necessity.

ya, in some management training stuff i did recently they made a distinction between urgent and important, (some would look at it as big upside vs unacceptable downside).  urgent stuff always gets eyes on it, because the kind of people who run organizations in the modern world have a huge bent towards avoiding downside and love to be proactive (i'd say an elon musk type is the exception, where he's always "looking down field" so to speak).  Beane is obviously a prototype Type A guy, so he's concerned about the urgent stuff, but that's lead him to over pay to keep poyer, you might say the same about morse, over draft RBs (as we've always had a bit of a hole there) and at times way over pay for rotational D lineman.  

I suspect he's learning that slight differences between toohils and addisons of the world are not worth the big contract differences when you are throwing them in for a limited number of snaps, but the slight differences between kinkaid and knox are sufficient in terms of their game impact to go out and draft kinkaid when you already have knox, and so forth.

i still think we need to have a new real play maker on O emerge (maybe diggs goes back to 2020 form, maybe rookie, maybe cook continues to imrprove, whatever) and we need to add play makers on D vs last year (milano being healthy, von returning to form, aj growing, i think there a few paths there) to get us over, and no amount of medium to good signings (like we used to love) is gonna get us there.

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The blips don't add up. Only the top 51 contracts count towards the cap. Vet minimums push other vet minimums out of the calculation. My hope is that the team will be more willing to let day three picks replace the likes of DeShawn Williams and Casey Toohill. But we still need a baseline piece in place before the draft because maybe we won't get any DEs for example on day three. At least now we are spending the vet minimum or close to it on these baseline depth pieces, instead of paying Jordan Phillips $5M to sit in the medical tent.

Paying these guys what they are paying them absolutely 100% better than paying Phillips to sit in the medical tent. Don’t disagree with that one bit. 

but the vet min contracts do add up. There will be at least 4-5 of them on the backend of the roster eating up cap space this season. When we get the final 53 we can revisit this and you can call me an idiot all you want at that point. But for now, we will just have to see. 

my argument is, and has always been if you up 4, 5, 6+ vet min deals and replace them with rookie deals, you pay half as much. Saving roughly 4-6m that could be spent elsewhere. It’s literally the difference between a guy like Harty and Hopkins if you look at last season as a reference. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

He's better than Jordan Phillips and Settle.  Therefore, an upgrade to last year.

He is? Why do you say this? If he is better than Jordan Phillips then he must be pretty damn good! I hope you are correct! I don't know this new guy so....

7 minutes ago, mrags said:

Paying these guys what they are paying them absolutely 100% better than paying Phillips to sit in the medical tent. Don’t disagree with that one bit. 

but the vet min contracts do add up. There will be at least 4-5 of them on the backend of the roster eating up cap space this season. When we get the final 53 we can revisit this and you can call me an idiot all you want at that point. But for now, we will just have to see. 

my argument is, and has always been if you up 4, 5, 6+ vet min deals and replace them with rookie deals, you pay half as much. Saving roughly 4-6m that could be spent elsewhere. It’s literally the difference between a guy like Harty and Hopkins if you look at last season as a reference. 

In previous versions of CBA (not sure of recent one tbh) veterans earning the minimum salary counted at a lower cap figure to allow teams to not replace old guys with younger ones to allow veterans to play longer/get a vested pension etc. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

He is? Why do you say this? If he is better than Jordan Phillips then he must be pretty damn good! I hope you are correct! I don't know this new guy so....

Phillips is not good IMO and takes costly dumb penalties at the worst times.   It's upsetting because he is BIG. 

DeShawn Williams  had 37 & 33 tackles the last 2 years.   Phillips had 20 & 15 

So just like Austin Johnson had 44 tackles las year  (more than Settle, Phillips, Ford COMBINED)  this is another upgrade in Run Defense

Williams also had 4.5 sacks in December with Denver in 2022 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, mrags said:

And just when we thought we were shedding some of the aged players in this team. Going for a youth movement. Nope. Not this staff. 

You and I had this very discussion.  Nothing changes until McBeane is gone.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Beane is doing a solid job getting low price one year rentals to play behind Oliver and Jones. None of these guys will make a difference other than logging some snaps.

However, Beane is now free to trade down and draft WR, Edge, and Safety with first three picks. 

Another solid off-season by Beane with the notable exception of bringing Epenesa back. 

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Phillips is not good IMO and takes costly dumb penalties at the worst times.   It's upsetting because he is BIG. 

DeShawn Williams  had 37 & 33 tackles the last 2 years.   Phillips had 20 & 15 

So just like Austin Johnson had 44 tackles las year  (more than Settle, Phillips, Ford COMBINED)  this is another upgrade in Run Defense

Williams also had 4.5 sacks in December with Denver in 2022 

Cool, thanks for the info and breakdown. Again, not familiar with Deshawn Williams.

I like Phillips but I agree, he is always hurt. So if Williams is an upgrade I think we will all be happy.

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Absurd.  This player is 30.  No NFL team has a roster full of 25 year olds 

I don’t care about other nfl teams. I want this team to win the Super Bowl once 

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Yup. Finally acknowledged by the Bills. 3 days later. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Dillenger4 said:

Did you even watch the games last year?  Phillips was one of the worst players in the entire NFL.  Literally watched guys run right by him.  Dude retired before last season.

PFF isn't a great measurement, but Phillips had a grade of 35 last year.  Horrible.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

likely a vet minimum to give them a baseline 4th DT after Oliver, Jones and Johnson. I'd be surprised if he ends up making the 53. But if they don't land a DT anywhere in the draft maybe he has a shot. 

Yeah.  You go into camp with 90.  Assume a pick, maybe also some UDFA's.  He's there to try and play his way on the roster, or at the very least push the rookies to earn their spot.  

Johnson and Williams seem to be better than Phillips(injured) and Settle.  I think both are more 1 techs with is fine with me.  I expect at some point in the draft Buffalo drafts a guy who can penetrate and play 3 tech.  Similar to 3-4 DE there scheme limitations can force good players to drop.  

• Like (+1) 1