Hip drop tackle officially banned

Process

8 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Only if you do it in a certain way.

I think I remember the issue being pointed out was the taking the legs out and pinning them down as they took them down from behind, that's the thing that leads to injuries that they want to avoid.

If that's illegal now, how are people supposed to wrap them up tackle them when running from behind? I'm trying to envision chasing a guy and grabbing him, but not being able to drop to the ground to stop them.

Do you just lunge at their feet & trip them? Grab them by the jersey & hope to swing them down while running? Launch yourself like a missile & hope you knock them forward? This rule is DEFINITELY going to screw us (and many other teams) over in many games this season.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

No, I think it will be like the horse collar tackle. Players will adapt and stop tackling that way, except rarely, like the horse collar.

And I think players adapted to the body weight rule (which I do think is ridiculous and should be removed. A QB should be able to be tackled just like any other player. I'm not a proponent of protecting QB's. I think all players should be treated roughly the same. I'm also not a big fan of the defenseless receiver rule, apart from head shots. Head shots should be illegal regardless of position). You see guys try to let up instead of driving them into the ground like they used to. So, I would say it had the intended impact, even though I don't agree with it.

Very small if the Bills tackle correctly. Very high if they tackle illegally.

I do wish that this is reviewable, however. But it won't be, since it is a penalty.

Can’t wait to watch plays like DK Metcalf chasing down Buddha Baker be called “hip drop” personal fouls.

1 hour ago, paulmm3 said:

I watched a video and these just look like normal tackles to me

I have seen the Logan Wilson tackle on Mark Andrews cited as an example, but the NFL came out and said it WASN’T.

This is gonna be a predictable disaster. And we will all keep watching lol.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, paulmm3 said:

I watched a video and these just look like normal tackles to me

I can now see from the videos that the tacklers are purposely trying to jam their torso or hips into the back of people's knees as they drop with their full body weight to get the knees to buckle. That's bound to do serious damage.

9 hours ago, Augie said:

Has the league provided any video demonstrating what is allowed and what is not. Where do you draw the line? This sounds like a giant gray area, worse than “is that a catch?” 

But not as gray as Tuck rule which was oddly very colored and colorless at same time.

4 minutes ago, steven50 said:

So if a 180 pound cb is trying to tackle a 255 pound tight-end running at full speed what he is supposed to do, jump on him and ride on his back?

Stay low and on balance

Aim inside hip

Drive through w shoulder pad, wrap and maintain active feet

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, MJS said:

Exactly!! People just don't understand what this is. I was skeptical at first, but then I researched it. Now I'm convinced this is the right move.

Nonsense. D and offensive players commenting on how ridiculous this rule is.  

• Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Stay low and on balance

Aim inside hip

Drive through w shoulder pad, wrap and maintain active feet

all the "active feet" in the world are not going to help you when the other guy is going full speed and outweighs you by 70 or 80 pounds. Your dreaming.

13 minutes ago, steven50 said:

all the "active feet" in the world are not going to help you when the other guy is going full speed and outweighs you by 70 or 80 pounds. Your dreaming.

Smaller guys have been tackling bigger guys since forever, they will manage

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Nonsense. D and offensive players commenting on how ridiculous this rule is.  

D and offensive players said it was ridiculous when they were no longer allowed to put the crown of their helmets on an opponents chin or drill them in the ear hole.  And then it was the concussion protocol that was ridiculous.  I'm sure helmet rules were once considered ridiculous yet the game has survived.

Do whatever it is that you need to do to cope.  Go out back and set all your NFL gear on fire, get on twitter and try to launch another NFL boycott, and get it all out of your system in time for the 2024-2025 season.  Besides, theres PSLs to rage about.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, FireChans said:

Can’t wait to watch plays like DK Metcalf chasing down Buddha Baker be called “hip drop” personal fouls.

That was not an illegal tackle then or now. Go watch it. He drags him down without performing a hip drop tackle.

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

D and offensive players said it was ridiculous when they were no longer allowed to put the crown of their helmets on an opponents chin or drill them in the ear hole.  And then it was the concussion protocol that was ridiculous.  I'm sure helmet rules were once considered ridiculous yet the game has survived.

Do whatever it is that you need to do to cope.  Go out back and set all your NFL gear on fire, get on twitter and try to launch another NFL boycott, and get it all out of your system in time for the 2024-2025 season.  Besides, theres PSLs to rage about.

Might be correct. Football was almost outlawed when college kids were routinely dying on the field because of its brutality. Doesn't mean that a rule change can't be a mistake. There is a level of violence inherent in the game. We'll see how this plays out.

The larger issue is the malleability of the rules to the idiosyncrasies of interpretation by individual referees, and the seemingly arbitrary and inconsistent manner that they are applied. The NFL wanted that close-up of Kelce and Swift celebrating a Super Bowl triumph. Doesn't mean it was scripted, but the vulnerability of the game to the whims of officials is what gives fans the feeling that the narrative can be easily shaped by a call at a propitious moment. 

18 hours ago, Malazan said:

There's too many rules. They need to eliminate some rules. Every time they do something like this, players have to find a new way and it ends up worse. Focus on simplifying and enforcing the rules you have..

The hip drop tackle had to be banned. It is far too injurious to the player it was used on.