Deja Vu all over again - Offseason Jets talk

krf139

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

They have a really good roster on paper, if you can play out the season like Madden and turn off injuries. 

yup - if they can avoid injury or distraction, they have a lot of sheer talent in the building. That’s a huge if for them though, given the team they assembled. 

they could be a Super Bowl contender or 3rd in their division and eliminated by early December really easily 

2 hours ago, mannc said:

I'm really happy that they've put all their eggs in the Aaron Rodgers basket again...I'm very confident that it's going to blow up in their face--again.  I will say though, that the Jets' defense is a problem for the Bills and no matter how bad their offense is, they won't be an easy out for us.  

^^^

2 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

That defense makes it believable that they can beat the Bills so with a healthy offense, I'm a little concerned. 

^^^

1 hour ago, Bogie_Klinkhammer said:

New England is dangerous too

Every divisional game is tough, and games against the perennial bottom feeder divisional rivals are especially for dominant divisional leaders because beating the Bills or Chiefs is the poorer divisional rivals seasonal highlight.  

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

If this happens, then they will clean house. Johnson already said he is not happy with how things are going. He didn't issue a playoff mandate, but it basically is one. Another losing season and JD and Saleh are gone.

Rinse and repeat.  

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

Who knows. But they have improved on paper and were 7-10 last year with Zach Wilson, Trevor Siemian and Tim Boyle. Does a improved roster and full season of Rodgers get them from 7 wins to 11 or 12? Not out of the question. 

As somebody else posted, I'll believe it when I see it. 

Edited by SoTier

Division should be easier this year.  The stars aligned perfectly for Miami last year and it wasn’t enough - they are never going to have any thing close to an under  30 Tyreek, and a first contract tua, waddle and Wilkins. As far as the jets go, there have been only about 2 QBs with any success after 40, Favre and Brady and those guys were virtually indestructible when it comes to injury avoidance. 

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Gregg said:

That defense does give the Bills problems at least at MetLife. Lost the last 2 there so they may be several notches below the Bills, but they get fired up to play them and have beaten them with Zach Wilson as the QB twice.

Of course they’re fired up everytime they play the Bills. Bills are the big dogs in this division. When it gets to crunch time Bills will prevail until otherwise. Now if they can only have better success against the other big dogs. Being big dogs in a small yard can only get fans excited for so long. Let’s expand the horizon. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, krf139 said:

Living in Connecticut, I have no idea how I am going to listen to sports talk radio for the next 5+ months talking about how great the Jets are going to be.  With baseball season a week away, the talk on WFAN this morning has been all Jets.  The Jets have won nothing, haven't made the playoffs, have a highly suspect front office and coaching staff - yet everyone talks about them being a real threat to win the Super Bowl. 

Here's Boomer Esiason talking about how they've moved past the Bills.

Since you already "took one for the team" and listened, can you give us a summary of why Boomer Esiason believes this?

I don't follow the Jets enough to know who are their key defenders and offensive players, thus who have they lost vs signed?

I know they had something like 21 FA and have re-signed like 3 of them while signing 7 FA from other teams, but I don't know whether they're all backups/bit players or what the scoop is, other than signing Tyrod Taylor and Mike Williams and backup DT and former Bill Quinton Jefferson signing in CLE.

Just now, Rocky Landing said:

I’m sure the reports of Rodgers’ mutant healing powers are legit. He’ll bounce right back from a torn Achilles like it never happened. 

He probably belongs in one of those "help I've fallen, and I can't get up" commercials.

Neither one of those teams have Josh. And that alone will always put us ahead of them. It’s the same thing when Brady was running the division. There may be a year we actually don’t win the division but I like our chances every year and until one of those teams has a top 3 qb I will not be worried. 

this is great!

Their hopes are tied to old players who always have issues.

All the hype is great for them.  I hope the whole offseason is jets and dolphins hype and everyone says Josh Allen sucks and the Bills are done.  That is exactly where you want to be.

as a side note I do not listen to any sports talk radio anymore so I get that for those who do and do like it as part of their routine it sucks when you have to listen to this kind of stuff 24x7.

It's just stupid to make a comment like that. The best thing to say is, "The Jets look to be much improved and maybe they have a shot at the division, but they have to prove it by going through Buffalo. As of now they own the AFC East."

To go out and say they are better than anybody is just ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, corta765 said:

This is where I am at. The media fawning over an organization that has constantly proven to be one of the worst for decades in football is astonishing. They get a benefit of the doubt in a way virtually no one else does because of NYC.

At a prism I do think they are actually bigger threat currently then Miami as I like a lot of the moves they made compared to Miami and I think they take Miami's playoff spot this year. The defense is solid and offense improved the line while having a good amount of playmakers. I don't think you will ever see MVP Rodgers again, but if he is even top half of the league they will win games and be a thing. With that said there are many reasons to legitimately question what they can do.

No league sells hope like the NFL in the offseason which is what makes it such a fun league.

I agree that Joe Douglas has made some nice picks and has done a decent job of teambuilding (exempting all of Aaron Rodger's buddies). I can't hate him too much for taking a swing on a former MVP QB, especially when he got the money kicked back. They are a legitimate team for 2024.

The problem is, if you look at all of their one year deals, they are soaking up the immediate cap space and putting it on the year where Rodger's cap hit goes up to $51 million. The moment that deal ends, they are looking at a major cap hits. If Rodgers hangs it up in '25, the Jets will have a $49 M cap hit to not have him on the team.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I agree that Joe Douglas has made some nice picks and has done a decent job of teambuilding (exempting all of Aaron Rodger's buddies). I can't hate him too much for taking a swing on a former MVP QB, especially when he got the money kicked back. They are a legitimate team for 2024.

The problem is, if you look at all of their one year deals, they are soaking up the immediate cap space and putting it on the year where Rodger's cap hit goes up to $51 million. The moment that deal ends, they are looking at a major cap hits. If Rodgers hangs it up in '25, the Jets will have a $49 M cap hit to not have him on the team.

JD wasn't behind the Rodgers signing. According to all the media reports both he and Saleh wanted Carr. It was Johnson who wanted Rodgers. So, if Rodgers doesn't work out for them then Woody has only himself to blame.

Wow! Winning the preseason again…, 🥱 

2 hours ago, 90sBills said:

Of course they’re fired up everytime they play the Bills. Bills are the big dogs in this division. When it gets to crunch time Bills will prevail until otherwise. Now if they can only have better success against the other big dogs. Being big dogs in a small yard can only get fans excited for so long. Let’s expand the horizon. 

I certainly won’t buy a “One for the thumb”:AFCE champion T-shirt if they get run in the divisional round again …winning the East means less and less with each successive Bills playoff choke job. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1