Tre'Davious White scheduled to visit the Rams and Raiders.

Gregg

4 hours ago, DJB said:

I still hold out hope Tre returns this year on a cheaper deal. Would love him back 

I don't see that. We've moved on with Benford and Douglas as our Starters on the Boundary, Taron in the Nickel, and Elam as the 1st Boundary off the bench. I don't see him coming back and accepting a role lesser than he had here as a depth piece. It's like when people hoped we'd bring back Jerry Hughes. As a career move, it doesn't make sense for him to take a step back in the same place. 

He's going to, at the very least, get the same opportunity he'd have here somewhere else. And almost definitely way more of an opportunity towards getting on the field and ressurrecting his career in another place. He deserves way more of a chance than he'd get here. That's a small part of the reason he's gone in the first place, in my opinion. As it was with Jerry Hughes before him, he was released because we've moved on. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

If that were going to happen, think they would have figured out a way to restructure.  Essentially the Bills figured the cap savings ($6M?) and open roster spot were worth it, versus the two parties figuring out a way to restructure.

But maybe Tre didn’t want the pay cut hits the street and finds out he isn’t getting the money he thought he would and circles back 

5 minutes ago, DJB said:

But maybe Tre didn’t want the pay cut hits the street and finds out he isn’t getting the money he thought he would and circles back 

That's assuming that he was released because he wouldn't take a pay cut. I don't think that's what happened here. I think we looked at the situation we were in and he was the odd man out - in a time where there was an "out" in his contract and we needed the money. If we felt he was going to Start here over Douglas or Benford and/or wanted to take the chance he'd be back in a big role for us - we would have found a way to make it work.

2 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

I thought he was going to be a post-June 1 cut? Can you cut someone now but designate it as post June 1 and that player can sign with another team?

Yes, you can cut someone at any point and designate them a Post-June 1 cut - allowing them to sign with any team at any time. You just don't get the money until June 1st. But that's only with releases. You can't trade someone with a Post-June 1st designation and get the kind of financial ramifications that come with moving on then. For something to qualify as a Post June-1 financial savings via trade, the trade has to literally occur after June 1st.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's a bummer they had to move on from him but it's just business. Benford emerged as a viable starter and then they traded for Douglas and had drafted Elam the year before so the writing was kinda on the wall. Makes you wonder if they were set to move on even if he hadn't gotten hurt. Best of luck to the guy. Seems like a great dude. 

4 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

That's assuming that he was released because he wouldn't take a pay cut. I don't think that's what happened here. I think we looked at the situation we were in and he was the odd man out - in a time where there was an "out" in his contract and we needed the money. If we felt he was going to Start here over Douglas or Benford and/or wanted to take the chance he'd be back in a big role for us - we would have found a way to make it work.

Yes, you can cut someone at any point and designate them a Post-June 1 cut - allowing them to sign with any team at any time. You just don't get the money until June 1st. But that's only with releases. You can't trade someone with a Post-June 1st designation and get the kind of financial ramifications that come with moving on then. For something to qualify as a Post June-1 financial savings via trade, the trade has to literally occur after June 1st.

Agree here.  They’re already going to take a $10M cap hit, right?  If they’d be willing to pay him $4M/year off the street now, they could have said you know, you’re scheduled to make $16M next season, we need to ask you to take a $2M pay cut.  The numbers and his future with the team prob just didn’t make sense to both parties anymore.

6 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I hope someone signs him to a HUGE deal. Comp pick city😂

Players still under contract that are released don't count in the Comp pick calculation.

Edited by JaBu
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Comebackkid said:

he probaby told bean... man i gotta get outta this place..you guys are nothing but bad luck!   😁           Godpseed tre    and good luck.

And if he said that Beane could reply "we had nothing but bad luck since you recovered on our dime the first time."

Hopefully both are too professional to do that and not now sitting on sidelines.

16 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I hope someone signs him to a HUGE deal. Comp pick city😂

Hope it all works out for White. He had some really great seasons here. 

He was cut and therefore he not in the comp pick formula. 

13 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

I thought he was going to be a post-June 1 cut? Can you cut someone now but designate it as post June 1 and that player can sign with another team?

Yes, post June 1 cut guys can sign once they've been announced as such but their teams don't get their cap space back until June 1. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Sad to see his name linked to other teams. But it was for the best for both parties. Wish him nothing but the best and a speedy recovery. 

Agree, we had to make a hard choice to keep either Rasul Douglas or Tre White.  Rasul was healthy and cost way less, and Tre had large uncertainties around if he'd come back to himself and when.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Hopefully Tre took his 1 time contract guarantee from the NFL, it's unlikely he ever gets a bigger contract than what the Bills would have been paying this year.

That 1 time salary guarantee has no relevance here.  It's a 1 time clause that if a veteran player is on a team the 1st day of the regular season, his salary for that season is guaranteed.  Teams aren't and don't start paying salaries until they start playing regular season games.

None of Tre's 2024 salary was guaranteed.

14 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Yes, 2 players per season can be cut now (thus we don't owe them roster or workout bonus, and any new guarantees void).

The released player can sign with a new team at any time, but the team that has cut him keeps his salary on the books counting against the cap, until after June 1, then they take this year's amortized bonus money onto this year's (2024) cap, and next year's and all subsequent years bonus money onto next year's cap.

Post-June 1 cuts also don't count in the comp pick calculation formula.

It's one of the wrinkles that makes NFL capology head spinning when fans start down that road.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Post-June 1 cuts also don't count in the comp pick calculation formula.

It's one of the wrinkles that makes NFL capology head spinning when fans start down that road.

Thank you, I did not know that.