Kenny Pickett being traded to Eagles (according to Schefter)

Simon

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

They dropped 22 spots and now have a backup on a 1st round pick salary. 

Waste 

Maybe the Steelers retain some of his salary, but it still seems like a dumb move to me.

7 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Whats there to get? They traded for a backup that recently was a 1st round pick. For essentially a 4th round pick. If they liked him coming out, there like him better than a QB option in the draft in the 4th round

If the Bills made this exact move, we would all hate it. At least I would.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Don't understand this move from Eagles perspective? 

Only way it pays off is if Hurts misses seom time and Pickett looks good and then you trade him.

All they did was lose draft position and gain nothing. 

What am I missing?

*Raises hand from Eagleland*

From the bits I have heard in local talk radio, there has been some concern about Jaylen Hurts' ability to stay healthy. He missed a bunch of games near the end of the regular season in their SB run and they are conjecturing whether the fall off at the end of 2023 was an unreported injury because the Eagles OC at the time (Brian Johnson) simply could not develop a blitz beater package so Hurts started taking a lot of hits. Plus, they were running Hurts a ton in goalline situations: he was tied with Josh for QB rushing TDs despite Josh having 10 pounds and 4 inches on him.

Talk show hosts were considering trading for Justin Fields

8 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Don't understand this move from Eagles perspective? 

Only way it pays off is if Hurts misses seom time and Pickett looks good and then you trade him.

All they did was lose draft position and gain nothing. 

What am I missing?

He is cheap. They are tight against the cap, only have one signed QB and Kenny Pickett won't cost much and has some experience playing in the league. Their 3rd was in the comp pick region anyway so it is basically trading back half a round for a backup QB. 

Not saying I'd have done it, but that is likely their reasoning.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Agree. He is awful. Move makes total sense from Steelers perspective 

True but I'm not a fan of the Russell Wilson bridge idea. Regardless, Pickett having 13(!) career TD's in 25 games is laughably bad so Russ can't be any worse

Edited by buffblue

15 minutes ago, MJS said:

Maybe the Steelers retain some of his salary, but it still seems like a dumb move to me.

I think his roster bonus should have triggered at the start of the league year in which case he will cost the Eagles about $900k this year.

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think it was @Royale with Cheese I was talking to when he was defending Tomlin for winning with a 3rd string QB and I said counting Pickett as their 1st string was a mistake and he would likely never play another down for them. 

Between the weak QB class, the team with a desperate need and the combination of injury and tentitative play there is a lot of EJ Manuel in the way this went down.

Are you hitting on me?  I do more ab work now FYI.

• Haha (+1) 1

Ain’t Kenny Pickett a country singer,

4 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Another horrible QB draft class. The only QB who has done anything was the last guy picked in the draft.  1st 2 QBs already traded. 

Yeah. Good QB's only seem to come around every few years.