CURTIS SAMUEL A BILL

10 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I think he's similar to Gabe in that he's better suited as a #3 or 4 WR but will not live up to being expected to be a legit #2.

and you know this ‘how’, exactly? Your crystal ball or your crystal meth?

• Haha (+1) 1

He has plenty ability to get down field.  He can do a little bit of everything.  He helps the offense become more unpredictable.  Based off sub packages and personal the offense was easy to pick up tendencies.  Mckenzie and Harty watch for motion ect.  Samuel can do all that stuff plus function as a tradition slot or line up outside.  I would compare it to the Beasley signing.  A solid vet Wr in their prime.  Beasley had some of his best years here and I can see the same thing for him.  This is not a nothing signing but compared to Mooney and Davis I think its a win when you look at what he does and how much was paid. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Roundybout said:

He’s only 27? For some reason I had it in my head he’s in his 30s. 

nice move! Thought he was hamstrung last season by bad quarterback play 

I also immediately thought "isn't he old and always hurt?".  Hes 27 and has missed 2 games in the last 2 years.

17 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

and you know this ‘how’, exactly? Your crystal ball or your crystal meth?

His entire body of work maybe? Or is it the meth you're taking that makes you think a guy who's been a complementary piece on offense for the last 7 years is going to suddenly emerge and become a bonafide #2 guy? Do you also believe Mack Hollins is the replacement for Diggs as well?

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Brandon Beane’s idea of assembling a team resulted in Trent Sherfield whiffing on passes in the biggest game of the season which was the last one.

Don’t piss on our heads and tell us it’s raining. The WR room has been atrocious since 2020 and got worse every year.

Yea.  The Bills have been a train wreck since Beane has arrived.

Get real. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Early projection:

70 receptions for 910  -  7 TDs
40 carries for 225 - 2 TDs  

I sure hope so. TBH - I was sucked into the Sherfield/Harty hype last year. I hope Samuel can produce for us.

People always use the "on a far less talented team" theory. I get it - but please keep in mind that far less talented team only won 5 games all season. Opposing defences played them much "softer"/prevent D as they had the early big lead. So receivers naturally gain more yards, hence their stats are fluffed. 

The Bills face tougher scenarios vs opposing D's most of the time. We will see how he does. Gadget type's usually falter.

19 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They hadn't exhausted their ability to create space by any means.   

You have to understand this by now, don't you?   

It's all entertainment to me.   Winning a SB doesn't change my fandom one bit but it's the objective of playing the game so I'd like to see them reach that.

So save your "enjoy the ride" for whoever is riding you. ;)

Speaking of which where is @Sherlock Holmes?  I miss his commentary.

You are so clever.

2 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

I sure hope so. TBH - I was sucked into the Sherfield/Harty hype last year. I hope Samuel can produce for us.

People always use the "on a far less talented team" theory. I get it - but please keep in mind that far less talented team only won 5 games all season. Opposing defences played them much "softer"/prevent D as they had the early big lead. So receivers naturally gain more yards, hence their stats are fluffed. 

The Bills face tougher scenarios vs opposing D's most of the time. We will see how he does. Gadget type's usually falter.

He's not a gadget player though. He can be used in any capacity really.  He just happens to be talented at running as well as receiving 

He is also not that small.... 5'11 200 lbs 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 3

washed up Cam Newton, Kyle Allen, Teddy Bridgewater, Taylor Heinicke, washed up Carson Wentz and Sam Howell...  that's who he's had throwing to him.

I think it's realistic for him to match his best years here... which puts him at Gabe's production levels at less money.   It works if we find a solid WR2 in the draft and dont expect Samuel to be more than he is.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Yea.  The Bills have been a train wreck since Beane has arrived.

Get real. 

Trent Sherfield had 1 catch for 7 yards in 2 postseason games. Great work Beane!

• Eyeroll 1

9 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

His entire body of work maybe? Or is it the meth you're taking that makes you think a guy who's been a complementary piece on offense is going to suddenly emerge after 7 years as a bonafide #2 guy? Do you also believe Mack Hollins is the replacement for Diggs as well?

Because he ain’t a scrub like Sherfield and Harty. Hollins is a scrub to and shouldn’t be in the same conversation as Samuel. Samuel has been a solid player and has produced pretty consistently. No who else was like that when they came here, Beasley and Brown. They both played their best football with Allen, so has Diggs for that matter. Guess we’ll have to wait and see but I think we got a solid player who has had numerous productive seasons in the NFL, as opposed to Sherfield and Harty who Beane signed having one decent season. Hollins can be put in that category too

Edited by BananaB
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

Just spoke to a good friend who works with an NFL team. Says that Samuel will most likely be "another McKenzie". Very similar player to McKenzie. Thinks we way overpaid. Take it as food for thought... just sharing.

I'm kinda mute on this signing. It feels like a glorified sherfield/harty move.

I don't know what role your friend holds with what NFL team, so that's kind of a pig in a poke.

But (and remember, I liked McKenzie) I don't see how anyone in talent evaluation for an NFL team can seriously make that comparison.  

Excepting 2021 when he was injured, Samuel has been a consistent 64 reception, 687 yd per season guy for the last 4 years - primarily (~70%) from the slot.  And that's with the likes of The Ghost of Cam Newton, Kyle Allen, Will Grier, Taylor Heinicke, The Ghost of Carson Wentz, and a promising but young Sam Howell throwing him the ball.

McKenzie got his chance to start from the slot in 2022, and the best he managed was 42 receptions for 423 yds.  That's his BEST year.  He had another chance to earn starting snaps in the slot from the Colts, and he barely saw the field (11% of offensive snaps) until he actually got suspended for "conduct detrimental to the team".

McKenzie came into the league as a fast guy who could barely run routes, and developed into an acceptable route runner with a limited tree, who could get choked off by physical play.   Samuel came into the league able to run routes (that's why he was drafted in the 2nd) and improved from there, and he's a little fireplug.

Harty was a rifle shot signed for potential.  His best season was 36 receptions for 570 yds.  The Bills were hoping he'd return to form from his 2022 injury.  News flash: he didn't.  Some days you da windshield, some days you da bug.

Sherfield was a career ST guy who had a pretty good season as the #3 WR behind two very dangerous WR1s.  He contributed here on ST and on offense consistent with his prior seasons when he wasn't playing behind Hill and Waddle - solid blocking, occasional receptions.

25 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

He has plenty ability to get down field.  He can do a little bit of everything.  He helps the offense become more unpredictable.  Based off sub packages and personal the offense was easy to pick up tendencies.  Mckenzie and Harty watch for motion ect.  Samuel can do all that stuff plus function as a tradition slot or line up outside.  I would compare it to the Beasley signing.  A solid vet Wr in their prime.  Beasley had some of his best years here and I can see the same thing for him.  This is not a nothing signing but compared to Mooney and Davis I think its a win when you look at what he does and how much was paid. 

*ding* *ding* *ding* That's the hope.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

He's not a gadget player though. He can be used in any capacity really.  He just happens to be talented at running as well as receiving 

He is also not that small.... 5'11 200 lbs 

Yeah - I'm warming up to the move. He sure runs hard! I like that. Catch and pound. Shakir does too at times. So does Diggs. Could be pretty cool if they all pan out next year!

Analytics guys seem to have loved this signing.

Matt Harmon of reception perception loves this move, I'm not saying his word is gospel, but he was right about Diggs too when we traded for him. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bruffalo said:

Analytics guys seem to have loved this signing.

Matt Harmon of reception perception loves this move, I'm not saying his word is gospel, but he was right about Diggs too when we traded for him. 

Samuel is one of the most explosive WR's off the line and his separation yards were the same as Tyreek Hill at 3.3 avg

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

On the plus side, i think he's done better over his career than sherfield or harty ever has.  I can see them using shakir on punt returns now as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

On the plus side, i think he's done better over his career than sherfield or harty ever has.  I can see them using shakir on punt returns now as well. 

There's no "think" about it.  Samuel HAS done far better in his career, than Sherfield or Harty have done in their careers as receivers.  His worst season of play since his rookie year is about the same as their best season.

• Agree 1