Arik Armstead released, signs with Jax

22 minutes ago, Process said:

Don't love the idea of adding a guy 30yo who missed significant time last two seasons. But at the same time there are really no offensive players that excite me left in FA. If they are going to spend money I guess this makes sense. 

Considering he'd basically rotate with oliver, and maybe both play on some 3rd downs - the limited snaps might help them both stay healthy.  But he was also already in a rotation with hargrave ferrell and jackson a year ago and he missed time with injuries.  

I could see this making sense for both sides. The Bills were ALWAYS going to chase one high end FA. I thought it would be a S (Xavier McKinney was my target). Justin Simmons is the other guy. Armstead seems to be at the top of that list now. They were going to pay for one high end defensive player.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

Isn't his wife a WNY girl. If so, you know the deal.... happy wife happy life.  Granted the Bills have to be in the ballpark $$$$ wise but I would say they have a shot here.

Wine No GIF by Blauer Bock

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I just...don't really understand this strategy. I don't understand why that vast amount of money wouldn't be better spent on some offensive weaponry or a legitimate starting safety. 

Shelling out big bucks to a 30+ D-lineman makes me feel like Beane and company haven't learned from past mistakes and are too focused on huge spending on the d-line and aging veterans when this SHOULD be a "get the cap right and re-allocate money to the offense" season.

I think the strategy is continue to invest in the DL until you get a dominant one.  And then continue to invest in it to keep it.  It's a good strategy.  A good DL is one of the most important pieces of a good team.

Hopefully the investment in the offense comes through a first round pick at WR.  I would like to see the FO resist their urge to give money to some middling vet WR, like J Reynolds or the like.  Those vets will just impede the playing time of our rookie WR and block the development of Shakir.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

spending what little cap we have left on an old defensive lineman how original

Yeah no kidding. Beat me to it. Are we in this mess because of that same mentality?

if Beane can get him cheap sure otherwise pound sand.

I'm not sure we go after Armstead, IMO Texans will land him.  Because of $ and age/injury, I think Beane stays put.

As a possibility, I'm wondering if Beane strategy is to go DL round 1 (which will initially trigger some anger by fans) and trade up in Round 2 for a WR.

DL: Chop Robinson, Darius Robinson (who profiles similar to Armstead, inside/out versatilty) are two guys to watch

WR: such a deep draft, Beane might not see much difference between WR5-6 (which is likely our Rd1 option, if we stay put) & WR8-12 (if we move up in Rd 2)

I don't see us using all eleven picks, so Rd 2 is ripe for moving up.  Or we stay put and see WR12ish at our pick.

Sign a guy like Samuel or MVS, who could be a WR2b (complimentary weapon), add a Rd2 Wr.  Diggs/Kincaid/FA/Rd 2 Wr/Shakir/Knox....would be a nice collective group. 

DL: Oliver, Jones, Groot, Von, AJE, 1 more FA DT, Rd1 DE, Late round DT 

Just now, MasterStrategist said:

I'm not sure we go after Armstead, IMO Texans will land him.  Because of $ and age/injury, I think Beane stays put.

We may very well not land him because the Texans have more money and he played for DeMeco Ryans before, but...

Based on two historically reliable sources, the Bills absolutely ARE going after Armstead currently, as we speak. It's happening.

May not land him, but they're damned sure trying.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I don't understand why you'd put big money into a 3 tech when we already paid a younger one. He would be nice to have in a rotation but we need a starting S and there is a big market for them and that position pays much less. With the size of our LBs you'd think another 1 tech should be a priority cause we're a different defense if DaQuan is out. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Logic said:

We may very well not land him because the Texans have more money and he played for DeMeco Ryans before, but...

Based on two historically reliable sources, the Bills absolutely ARE going after Armstead currently, as we speak. It's happening.

May not land him, but they're damned sure trying.

Sorry, should have said I don't think Beane will get into a bidding war.  I think he has a value on Erik and doesn't "go after him too aggressively", IMO/no source. 

Personally, I'd rather invest an early pick on DL...knowing Von is likely gone after this year, and AJE is only on a 2-yr deal/isn't a DE2.

WR is so deep we can find a starter in RD2

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Nah, money wouldn't be a problem, not unless some team gives him a ridiculous overpay. We solved a lot of our long term cap issues by cutting the dead weight last week. Next year we'll likely let go of Von Miller and Dawson Knox. There's always more dead weight to shed. Allen will be extended before long, kicking his can another several years down the road. Etc.

Chris Jones just signed a 5 year $158M contract. His cap hit in 2024 is a whopping $7.3M. We can come up with an eye-popping looking number that Armstead's agent sells to him, while in reality keeping his cap hits manageable and progressively increasing them year over year to match up with the normal salary cap increases. This is standard modern NFL cap management. Everything is made up and the points don't matter.

I'm not saying the Bills can't do it.  I just think that the Bills might think they want to spend their free agent dollars elsewhere, like safety.  There are still good safeties available.  I really don't think Taylor Rapp and Cam Lewis are starters in Buffalo's defense while Buffalo has starters on the interior of their defensive line.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

I don't understand why you'd put big money into a 3 tech when we already paid a younger one. He would be nice to have in a rotation but we need a starting S and there is a big market for them and that position pays much less. With the size of our LBs you'd think another 1 tech should be a priority cause we're a different defense if DaQuan is out. 

got to think outside the box

Arik & Rousseau at DE against the run.

Arik & Ed inside against the pass.

He is fully capable of playing anywhere on our DL and has done so with the Niners

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, BigAl2526 said:

I'm not saying the Bills can't do it.  I just think that the Bills might think they want to spend their free agent dollars elsewhere, like safety.  There are still good safeties available.  I really don't think Taylor Rapp and Cam Lewis are starters in Buffalo's defense while Buffalo has starters on the interior of their defensive line.

Exactly.  We get better value investing those FA $s/remaining cap on a WR (such as Samuel/MVS) and a starting caliber FS.

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

got to think outside the box

Arik & Rousseau at DE against the run.

Arik & Ed inside against the pass.

He is fully capable of playing anywhere on our DL and has done so with the Niners

Solid logic why a versatile DL would help.  I mentioned a couple RD1 DL prospects above, who could help immediately.  Team likes bumping Groot inside on passing downs as well, so that's an existing option.

Just think a low-tier WR2 and starting FS are wiser investments, with remaining cap $s.  

Go get that DL prospect early, and WR in RD2 (in one of the deepest classes ever)

2 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Given our WR and DE situation and our cap I'm not sure paying top bucks for a rotational DT behind Oliver and Jones makes sense.

he’s better than both players

Does it make sense to acquire the Niners franchise playoff sack leader?  How about a player that actually sacked Mahomes? We can’t even pressure the guy

How about a 4 time team captain and 4 time Walter Payton Man of the Year Nominee? 

Good Lord people. WAKE UP.

When a player of this calibur has interest in playing for your team, you try to sign him

51 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

As a possibility, I'm wondering if Beane strategy is to go DL round 1 (which will initially trigger some anger by fans) and trade up in Round 2 for a WR.

DL: Chop Robinson, Darius Robinson (who profiles similar to Armstead, inside/out versatilty) are two guys to watch

WR: such a deep draft, Beane might not see much difference between WR5-6 (which is likely our Rd1 option, if we stay put) & WR8-12 (if we move up in Rd 2)

I don't see us using all eleven picks, so Rd 2 is ripe for moving up.  Or we stay put and see WR12ish at our pick.

Sign a guy like Samuel or MVS, who could be a WR2b (complimentary weapon), add a Rd2 Wr.  Diggs/Kincaid/FA/Rd 2 Wr/Shakir/Knox....would be a nice collective group. 

This is an incredibly bold strategy the biggest need on this team is a WR he has ten other picks to backfill the defense the amount of quality edge rushers like a Braden McGregor from Michigan can be had in the 4th or 5th rounds. 

14 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

he’s better than both players

Does it make sense to acquire the Niners franchise playoff sack leader?  How about a player that actually sacked Mahomes? We can’t even pressure the guy

How about a 4 time team captain and 4 time Walter Payton Man of the Year Nominee? 

Good Lord people. WAKE UP.

When a player of this calibur has interest in playing for your team, you try to sign him

image.jpeg.4b0777e4f4fc6dc2ccd0e02a6a4a5a6e.jpeg

2 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

**** that. Put the 1st round pick into the best weapon available for Allen.

Edited by SoonerBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3