[Misleading Title]

DJB

I love Diggs he’s been fantastic for us. But I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little bitter about how we essentially traded the best WR in the NFL who is considerably younger than Diggs as well.

The thought of Josh with an elite young WR is so tantalizing. 

But I’m no longer bitter . Why? Because Jefferson wants more than $30 million per year . That’s insane money and he’s not 10+ million dollars worth more than Stef.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Speaking of Jefferson.

Dianna Russini on X: "The Vikings came close to extending WR Justin Jefferson last offseason. In Indy, GM Kwesi Adofo-Mensah aggressively rejected the idea of trading the star. Kirk Cousins’ departure hasn’t changed things. The Vikings have no plans to trade Jefferson, sources tell me and @alec_lewis." / X (twitter.com)

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

$30M is a little more palatable when you don’t have to pay your QB huge money too..

Yup. They’ll draft a young QB on a rookie pay scale and use that money for JJ. By the time the rookie needs a new contract JJ will be on the downward slope and things will work out naturally. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Easily imo

People forget with the cap going up so much and JJ hitting his prime the numbers may seem super high but realistically its just the direction the market is heading. Diggs has been top 3 in WR contract for a few years now, price of doing business.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, corta765 said:

People forget with the cap going up so much and JJ hitting his prime the numbers may seem super high but realistically its just the direction the market is heading. Diggs has been top 3 in WR contract for a few years now, price of doing business.

tbh I think it's hilarious how discriminating our taste in wideouts has somehow become 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I mean, I get it. He's trying to get the biggest deal he can because this will likely be his biggest deal he can get. A 5 year deal puts him at 30 (almost 31 by that time) and there aren't too many 30 year old WR's getting big contracts these days. It's also not like he has Tyreek Hill/Desean Jackson type speed that usually lasts into mid-30's either.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

tbh I think it's hilarious how discriminating our taste in wideouts has somehow become 

We all saw how guys like Trent and Deonte and Sanders and Gabe performed at varying bargain prices lol

• Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, DJB said:

I love Diggs he’s been fantastic for us. But I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little bitter about how we essentially traded the best WR in the NFL who is considerably younger than Diggs as well.

The thought of Josh with an elite young WR is so tantalizing. 

But I’m no longer bitter . Why? Because Jefferson wants more than $30 million per year . That’s insane money and he’s not 10+ million dollars worth more than Stef.

He might just want off a team going nowhere without a QB. You know, like Diggs. If that’s it, then I don’t think it would have been a problem here. 

Edited by BarleyNY

Front load that contract as much as possible. Next year they should have well over $100m to play with and that’s the year you pay JJ a crazy amount. Soften the hit the other years but while you can afford it you stack the deck and pay the kid. 

then again, this is the Vikings we are talking about…

• Agree 1

There's nothing to be bitter about - you can't judge the trade by how the TBD draftee works out - even if it's Justin Jefferson or Patrick Mahomes

That's results-based analysis and really doesn't have any bearing on whether Beane made the right decision or not

He traded a low 1st round draft pick for a known, proven, high-performing player, at a known cost

Diggs has performed at or above the level we expected

That's a solid trade any day of the week from a Bills perspective

It just so happens that the Vikings are probably happy with the results too... although I'm not sure they won any playoff games and will have to pay Jefferson if they want to keep him...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

Front load that contract as much as possible. Next year they should have well over $100m to play with and that’s the year you pay JJ a crazy amount. Soften the hit the other years but while you can afford it you stack the deck and pay the kid. 

then again, this is the Vikings we are talking about…

I mean... If you do that then you hamstring your ability to compete by eating a larger cap hit.  You also don't use the natural leverage of a consistently rising salary cap.  Not to mention, unused cap space carries over anyway.  You also run the risk in like 2-3 years of him asking for a raise.  

24 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

There's nothing to be bitter about - you can't judge the trade by how the TBD draftee works out - even if it's Justin Jefferson or Patrick Mahomes

That's results-based analysis and really doesn't have any bearing on whether Beane made the right decision or not

He traded a low 1st round draft pick for a known, proven, high-performing player, at a known cost

Diggs has performed at or above the level we expected

That's a solid trade any day of the week from a Bills perspective

It just so happens that the Vikings are probably happy with the results too... although I'm not sure they won any playoff games and will have to pay Jefferson if they want to keep him...

Yep - it looks bad in hindsight because it was essentially diggs for jefferson... However at the time of the trade, it was diggs for unknown player.  I think we probably wouldve drafted aiyuk or jefferson there.  I was expecting it to be between reagor and higgins though and i wasn't a big fan of either player.  

• Thank you (+1) 1