What's your definition of a good FA period, and are you really upset with any of the moves so far?

Virgil

As the legal tampering period has started (I'd argue it started last week) and we've gotten through most of our cap adjustments, I'm curious to see how everyone is feeling and where their expectations are?

For me, I'm pretty good with all the moves that have happened so far and don't have high expectations for FA.  I don't say that in a pessimistic way, just based off the reality of the cap situation and our performance.

For me, I'm somewhat disappointed in losing Tre and Morse, but it's more nostalgia than anything else.  Morse signing elsewhere for less that 5 mil per is tough, because I would have liked to see us fit that under our cap.  He's been a team leader and overall solid these past few years.  Tre is tough, because he is the McD OG.  However, I'm not used to even seeing him on the field these past two years.  I'm somewhat hoping he comes back on a "prove it" deal, but don't expect it.

Other than that, I'm ecstatic that Von and Knox reworked their deals.  They were horrible deals, that I don't fault Beane for because they made somewhat sense at the time.  But getting them to give money back is huge and shows a lot about the culture that's been created here.  

As for FA, the only player I really want to see back is Jones at DT.  Our defense is very different with him on the field.  Other than that, Beane can get a bunch of 1 year guys to plug holes and I'll be happy.  I wouldn't mind a veteran to start at Safety, just because multiple rookies back there can lead to disaster.  But I'm not worried about it overall.

When the draft gets here, so long as we get a WR1, and maybe a C/G in the first few rounds, the rest can be all defense and I won't mind for once.

Overall, without success, and the losses other teams are taking (besides the Chiefs of course), I think the Bills will be in as good position as they've been since Josh got here and don't expect a big drop off.  

• Agree 2

This team doesn’t need a huge splash. Sign some value Free Agents and start drafting difference makers not solid players. 

We are officially the team who can sign guys to one year deals, rehabilitate then then get comp picks and develop our own with 8-10 picks every year 

• Like (+1) 1

We could have done without the Cam Lewis signing, but that’s just me, 😂

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Don't like the Cam Lewis contract

I would have kept Morse but I'm fine moving on from him.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I always thought White was overrated.  I'm happy we are getting rid of that contract. Sad for him but he needed to go.

Other than that I have no issue with any of the moves Beane has made. Very impressed he got Miller and Knox to rework their deals. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

We could have done without the Cam Lewis signing, but that’s just me, 😂

I'm starting to think that Cam is one of those behind the scenes guys.  The same way Elam can't do anything right with McD during practice, I think Cam does everything they need. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

Losing Morse sucks and angered me. Finally have a good o line and we gut it for no reason. 

Morse had to go for cap reasons so I have np with that. Wish the bills kept around bates as we would have filled in that center role nicely. 

that’s the only move I didn’t like, was getting rid of Bates. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I'm starting to think that Cam is one of those behind the scenes guys.  The same way Elam can't do anything right with McD during practice, I think Cam does everything they need. 

Could very well be the case. 

7 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Don't like the Cam Lewis contract

I would have kept Morse but I'm fine moving on from him.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I always thought White was overrated.  I'm happy we are getting rid of that contract. Sad for him but he needed to go.

Other than that I have no issue with any of the moves Beane has made. Very impressed he got Miller and Knox to rework their deals. 

Nope - you are the majority. White sucked. Most overrated CB in the AFC.

• Eyeroll 1

I like the Cam re-signing (prob in minority).  He brings versatility, 1 player who can play slot/safety/above avg ST.

Not a fan of the Rapp re-signing.  He looked like a backup LY, just don't like putting decent cap $s into backups this early in FA.  He's the type of guy we could replace with a June signing or Day 3 pick.

Rest of the guys released/not re-signed, Beane made tough but good decisions IMO.

Be good to get our DE3 in FA, and our starting 1-tech DT.  A starting safety would be ideal, not sure if Rapp is their answer but he shouldn't be.  And 1 WR, in the Noah Brown price range.

Then hit WR and OL early, fill out depth at DL and S later in draft

I agree with the comments about Mitch but he was literally one more concussion from calling it quits anyway. The other guys were totally expected. 
If be shocked if Beane adds anyone of significance in free agency and let’s face it if Josh didn’t convince Von Miller to come we wouldn’t really have done much in free agency of significance in the last several years anyway.

Who would our biggest signing of the last few years be McGovern?

Agree with all the cuts.   Impressed with the renegotiations.  Fine with the Dawkins extension.  Cam Lewis/Taylor Rapp, indifferent. 

Think we need to find a way to get another elite player here, but see that both unlikely to happen due to other teams making that available and/or us sacrificing depth/rotations to actually do it. 

Edited by SCBills

All the cuts were pretty easy to see coming. Can't disagree with any of them.

Don't know if trading Bates for a 5th makes sense after releasing Morse. 

I'm luke warm on Dawkins extension. He's an overall good player, but doesn't seem to take his craft seriously. He's an overweight smack talker that comes up small in big moments. I would've let the contract play out this season and make a decision next year. 

Lewis/Rapp are MEH. If they turn out to be capable starters those are great deals, but at this point in their career why would we think they could be capable starters? They are good depth guy and nothing else. Weird to splurge on depth guys when you are tight against the cap. 

25 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Not a fan of the Rapp re-signing.  He looked like a backup LY, just don't like putting decent cap $s into backups this early in FA.  He's the type of guy we could replace with a June signing or Day 3 pick.

I wasn't a Rapp fan for most of the season, but he appeared to really come on in the last 6 games, including playoffs.  If he plays at that level, then I'm good with him being resigned

2 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I'm luke warm on Dawkins extension. He's an overall good player, but doesn't seem to take his craft seriously. He's an overweight smack talker that comes up small in big moments. I would've let the contract play out this season and make a decision next year. 

It was shared somewhere else, but he was the 3rd or 4th highest rated tackle in the league.  I'm sure the contract was written in a way that creates more room for us.  

I like this because it's taking care of our own at a premium position.  I haven't seen anything to indicate his play is falling off.  He's also an unquestioned leader on the team

• Thank you (+1) 1

Von and Diggs can't really be moved cause of their contracts......JA is the face of the franchise and the best player on the team so you know he ain't ever gonna go anywhere, so that makes just about everyone else expendable in my opinion.

Obviously, were holding onto Knox, Cook and Kincaid, but i really couldn't care if they let everyone else walk.