Legal Tampering News (lets try to keep it all in one thread) - Begins today at 3/11 Noon

MAJBobby

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

No surprise. That’s how it looks from the outside. And it’s the most likely explanation for not fully restructuring Allen’s contract.

Dion Dawkins likes your bulge 

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

That’s how it looks from the outside. And it’s the most likely explanation for not fully restructuring Allen’s contract.

If there is a push to limit spending this season, I doubt it's an edict from Pegula. I'd imagine it's more a scenario of taking medicine this season so that in the coming years, we're not in the situation like we were in last year and this year and can operate more freely.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

I can believe that Pegula has placed cash restrictions on spending this offseason.  He has a lot of financial obligations with the new stadium and with the renovations to the KeyBank Center.  Could explain why Josh's contract was not fully restructured.  If true, really bad time for this given our need for restructures to have cap space to be competitive this season.

Not to mention he has poured out tons of cash with nothing to show for it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BBFL said:

It’s an absolute pipe dream but do they consider at least trying? I’m sure they will inquire if it’s accurate. 

More importantly, with that money KC just freed up do they trade this and next years first to sign JJ? 

🤔🫠

No hope for Buffalo.  Just a general question.  I don't see any upside to them keeping him.  

Either lose him when he demands a trade or pay him $30 million + and not be able to fully utilize his talent due to lack of a QB.

He'd fetch quite a haul and you have Addison and Hockenson already.  Just a thought.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

If there is a push to limit spending this season, I doubt it's an edict from Pegula. I'd imagine it's more a scenario of taking medicine this season so that in the coming years, we're not in the situation we were in last year and this year and can operate more freely.

Exactly. For 6+ months posters with even a rudimentary understanding of the cap have been saying we aren't going to be big spenders in FA. There are pinned threads explaining the cap layouts and why we aren't going to be big spenders in FA. The GM has said we aren't going to be big spenders in FA. But now, all of a sudden, it must be the owner? Everything has to be a conspiracy.

The season isn't won or lost in free agency. Have you learned nothing from Rex Ryan?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

If there is a push to limit spending this season, I doubt it's an edict from Pegula. I'd imagine it's more a scenario of taking medicine this season so that in the coming years, we're not in the situation we were in last year and this year and can operate more freely.

You can take your medicine and still spend some cash. I’m not saying we should be wasting cash and cap space at the start of FA. I’m not a proponent of that. It is just that this is a severe decrease. We went from one of the top cash spenders to 17th currently. To me that looks ownership driven. No GM wants to throw on the brakes like that if they don’t have to. They get paid to win and it’s tough to do that without spending. 

The other possibility is that Beane is paying back/saving up against his spending constraints. He has a budget from Pegula. It is possible that he’s saving toward another spending ramp up. I guess in either case I’m just disappointed because it will be difficult to really compete in the near term if spending is substantially cut. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, QCity said:

Exactly. For 6+ months posters with even a rudimentary understanding of the cap have been saying we aren't going to be big spenders in FA. There are pinned threads explaining the cap layouts and why we aren't going to be big spenders in FA. The GM has said we aren't going to be big spenders in FA. But now, all of a sudden, it must be the owner? Everything has to be a conspiracy.

The season isn't won or lost in free agency. Have you learned nothing from Rex Ryan?

How else can you explain the Allen restrux? The money left on the table for this year has very little value over the rest of his contract. Only benefit is $8M kept in his pocket. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

How else can you explain the Allen restrux? The money left on the table for this year has very little value over the rest of his contract. Only benefit is $8M kept in his pocket. 

Kept in his pocket?  He got paid a big cash lump sum from what we restructured. Maybe we are saving the rest if we need it later or an extension is on deck next year

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

23 minutes ago, QCity said:

Yeah, it's kind of funny to me. The writing has been on the wall for months that big spending is out. We've never been in worse shape as far as how over we were and how many holes we have to fill.

It felt like we all (well, most of us) kind of understood that FA was going to be about filling as many holes as we can and leaving WR2 to the Draft. And given where we were, we've actually done a pretty good job of that. 

We've signed a Starting Safety to replace one of Poyer or Hyde, a Starting 1T DT in Jones returning, a Starting Guard to take McGovern's place as he shifts over, and the DE3/DE2 insurance with the potential to start if Von doesn't return to form. 

Given where we were, that's massive. There's still things to do like the other Starting Safety spot and depth behind Oliver and Jones. But they've done things that allow us to focus on WR in the Draft. 

Which was always the plan. Yet, FA opens, and all of a sudden people think we're gonna go hog wild. Like... what?

10 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

You can take your medicine and still spend some cash. I’m not saying we should be wasting cash and cap space at the start of FA. I’m not a proponent of that. It is just that this is a severe decrease. We went from one of the top cash spenders to 17th currently. To me that looks ownership driven. No GM wants to throw on the brakes like that if they don’t have to. They get paid to win and it’s tough to do that without spending. 

The other possibility is that Beane is paying back/saving up against his spending constraints. He has a budget from Pegula. It is possible that he’s saving toward another spending ramp up. I guess in either case I’m just disappointed because it will be difficult to really compete in the near term if spending is substantially cut. 

In "spending cash", you're still writing contracts that include cap space in the form of other years or void years beyond this season. That cuts into later caps and then before you know it, we're in the same spot we are this year and the year before. You do that every year and every year is like the last two. 

Like I said, if there's an effort to limit spending this year - it's with creating the ability to be bigger players in the following years in mind.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I'm just trying to figure out what the plan is with Armstead if we sign him. I thought he played 3-tech for San Fran. So why are we even targeting him? I know DL is a big need but we can't keep spending big money on defense and ignoring the offense in FA.

Yeah, no offense to your source or the media member reporting it, but I really don't buy it. Like you said, it doesn't make much sense. 

If what you've heard is true, my guess is it's a situation where he called us and said he has interest in coming here, based on his family connection. We'd be interested in a discounted price, incentive laden deal. But we know that's highly unlikely to be agreed upon and that he'll have better offers. So we're just sitting back saying "yeah, let us know what you're best offer is" - knowing full well he's going to have a market where when the time comes we just say "yeah, can't do that".

8 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Kept in his pocket?  He got paid a big cash lump sum from what we restructured. Maybe we are saving the rest if we need it later or an extension is on deck next year

I have not heard of multiple restructures of a contract in the same year. Usually you do it all at once. Saving it for later would mean there is limited cast available. The owner controls cash available. 

• Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

In "spending cash", you're still writing contracts that include cap space in the form of other years or void years beyond this season. That cuts into later caps and then before you know it, we're in the same spot we are this year and the year before. You do that every year and every year is like the last two. 

Like I said, if there's an effort to limit spending this year - it's with creating the ability to be bigger players in the following years in mind.

Sure. But again, there could be a middle ground of taking our medicine for past spending and competing now. I expected the Bills to be limited in free agency, but this is more severe than I was expecting. I thought they’d maximize what they could reasonably do, but it looks like they’re backing off a lot more than that. That all said, free agency only officially opened 3 hours ago so the book isn’t closed. Besides, there’s nothing to do now but see how it all plays out.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

No hope for Buffalo.  Just a general question.  I don't see any upside to them keeping him.  

Either lose him when he demands a trade or pay him $30 million + and not be able to fully utilize his talent due to lack of a QB.

He'd fetch quite a haul and you have Addison and Hockenson already.  Just a thought.

I honestly wouldn’t be mad throwing 2 if not 3 first rounders for him… The Von contract should be off the books by the time it’s re-up time. On top of that, might be time to move on from Diggs. 

Would be ironic if we ended up getting the guy we, theoretically by draft pick, could have had instead of Diggs. 

14 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Sure. But again, there could be a middle ground of taking our medicine for past spending and competing now. I expected the Bills to be limited in free agency, but this is more severe than I was expecting. I thought they’d maximize what they could reasonably do, but it looks like they’re backing off a lot more than that. That all said, free agency only officially opened 3 hours ago so the book isn’t closed. Besides, there’s nothing to do now but see how it all plays out.

They've actually done a lot. We had a LOT of things to take care of. So we couldn't spend too much in one place. There's just not much on the external front. Going into Free Agency - the plan in my mind was to take care of major holes that could leave us to address WR in the Draft. To that end we've filled:

Starting Safety 1 - Re-Signed Taylor Rapp

Starting Safety 2 -

Starting 1T DT - Re-Signed Daquan Jones

Starting OG Replacing McGovern switching to Center - Re-Signed David Edwards

DE3/Possible DE2 in the event Miller is done - Re-Signed AJ Epenesa

And we addressed some other depth things with inexpensive options like QB2 (Trubisky), LB3 replacing Dodson (Morrow), WR5/Special Teams Gunner (Hollins), Safety 3 (Lewis). There's still things like the other Starting Safety spot, rotational DT's behind Oliver and Jones, RB2/3, and a couple backup OL. 

But the idea that we haven't "maximized" what we could do, based on the amount of money we had and the major things we needed to get done isn't true in my mind. We covered a lot of the major holes. Even with the "backing off a lot more" as you put it, we're effectively at zero when it comes to space we have.   

• Like (+1) 1

We still have significant needs.  It is unlikely that our draft picks will fill all remaining holes as starters, part-time players or back-ups.  Would have to think that additional bargain basement free agents will be signed, but they will not be upgrades compared to what we had last season.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I have not heard of multiple restructures of a contract in the same year. Usually you do it all at once. Saving it for later would mean there is limited cast available. The owner controls cash available. 

If they re-restructured JA’s contract tomorrow, would the two restructurings technically be in two separate league years?

Kevin Massare made a good point on his video just now…

take the $ you were paying to Phillips, Settle and Ford…but instead of 3 fringe players you’re using it on a stud. Plus Arik is capable of playing multiple spots on the line

a team captain with the Niners and one of the better overall DL players in the NFC

IMO if we got him I’d mix in a package where Von is lined up as an “OLB” on passing downs

Rousseau Armstead Oliver Epenesa

Von

If you want to stop the run….

Rousseau Jones Oliver Armstead

is a nasty front 4 

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Is Thomas DeLaus legit? Does he work for cover 1 or what does he do? 

his profile says he does. Whether he actually knows anything who knows.

Happy Days is legit though and he said earlier that we told Arik to let us have dibs to match his best offer.

The original report relating to our interest came from the Niners Athletic reporter who is very likely a legit source 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

take the $ you were paying to Phillips, Settle and Ford…but instead of 3 fringe players you’re using it on a stud. Plus Arik is capable of playing multiple spots on the line

a team captain with the Niners and one of the better overall DL players in the NFC

IMO if we got him I’d mix in a package where Von is lined up as an “OLB” on passing downs

Von

is a nasty front 4 

Imagine if we did that at wr last year. These mid level contracts kill me. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

He’s shocked me with Hamler and Hollins this off season. It’s pretty much Sherfield and Harty. Beane don’t learn from mistakes, he just keeps going with the same mindset. 

Edited by BananaB
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

41 minutes ago, schoolhouserock said:

If they re-restructured JA’s contract tomorrow, would the two restructurings technically be in two separate league years?

I don’t think it can be done again same year. 

9 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Von

is a nasty front 4 

I don’t hate this …. But the move needed to be made before they brought back AJQ.. that was the DT splash … with more help coming with some of those Day 3 picks …

Edited by Aussie Joe

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

his profile says he does. Whether he actually knows anything who knows.

Happy Days is legit though and he said earlier that we told Arik to let us have dibs to match his best offer.

The original report relating to our interest came from the Niners Athletic reporter who is very likely a legit source 

Agree. Some good reports out there possibly.

Happy Days thankful he is here.  Glad he shares with us.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

53 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

They've actually done a lot. We had a LOT of things to take care of. So we couldn't spend too much in one place. There's just not much on the external front. Going into Free Agency - the plan in my mind was to take care of major holes that could leave us to address WR in the Draft. To that end we've filled:

Starting Safety 1 - Re-Signed Taylor Rapp

Starting Safety 2 -

Starting 1T DT - Re-Signed Daquan Jones

Starting OG Replacing McGovern switching to Center - Re-Signed David Edwards

DE3/Possible DE2 in the event Miller is done - Re-Signed AJ Epenesa

And we addressed some other depth things with inexpensive options like QB2 (Trubisky), LB3 replacing Dodson (Morrow), WR5/Special Teams Gunner (Hollins), Safety 3 (Lewis). There's still things like the other Starting Safety spot, rotational DT's behind Oliver and Jones, RB2/3, and a couple backup OL. 

But the idea that we haven't "maximized" what we could do, based on the amount of money we had and the major things we needed to get done isn't true in my mind. We covered a lot of the major holes. Even with the "backing off a lot more" as you put it, we're effectively at zero when it comes to space we have.   

There’s been some activity and hole plugging - especially depth - but there’s yet to be a single move that improves the team from last season. The Dawkins extension and Jones re-signing are helpful, but those are just keeping status quo.

• Thank you (+1) 1

As we’ve seen with injuries these past few years, if your star players go down, you’re screwed anyway.   Doesn’t matter if the depth is a 4M per year guy vs a Day 3 guy.

In terms of the ultimate goal, you do need to stay healthy.  It is what it is. 

Hopefully Beane is learning his lesson because we need more Armstead’s and less (insert vet making 2-4M all over the roster)

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, BananaB said:

He’s shocked me with Hamler and Hollins this off season. It’s pretty much Sherfield and Harty. Beane don’t learn from mistakes, he just keeps going with the same mindset. 

Even if that’s a little bit true and he wants to hit his head against the wall with your theory, he did it at on a much cheaper scale that doesn’t hurt us one bit. I’m about that. 

how about 3 for 36 and incentives up to 42 for Arik? Add a couple void years and bring the hit down for this year

It’s Dark out now. Time for some magic BEANES to land Armstead then swing a trade for a WR 😎  Spend those fun coupons

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Didn't he say that about today, yesterday?

It baffles me how he has a job at Cover 1. I guess they feel that they also want to cover the "delusional fans that like to play Madden GM with the roster" was a market they wanted to cost too.