Chris Jones signs with KC 5yr $95M guaranteed

Process

9 hours ago, QB Bills said:

Hate this.

Guy was the best player on either side of the field against the Bills and in the Super Bowl and should have been the unanimous MVP.

Agreed. The fact it wasn’t him or McDuffie is mind boggling. Pat was #1 in the vote followed by Kelce. 

Don’t even know why they bother getting the public to vote on that award anyway. It’s like the Presidential candidacy…The public portion has no real weight in the outcome. It’s decided by the group of peers that are already positioned on the sidelines… 

To the other point, dude has been the best player on that team the past 2 seasons. They would have been stupid to let him walk and play elsewhere. 

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Ya Probably on paper so the agent can fluff up the numbers a bit.

But with the 95 mil Guaranteed, it's probably something like a 3 year, 95 mil dollar deal 

They will re structure next offseason.

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

They will re structure next offseason.

Yep. It seems like a very similar type of contract Von miller got. (Except more money of course)

Where it's gonna say 5 years.

But it's really a 3 year deal that has a good chance to re structure after year 1

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Do you believe everything Mike Florio says ? 

Yes, I believe most of what Florio says. I believe he is far and away the best NFL reporter there is. His law background and sources within the NFL give him a big advantage in my opinion. He routinely is proven right. Leagues above guys like Breer and Schefter who only pass along news that is given to them due to a quid-pro-quo relationship (meaning they also pass along agendas and false info).

Florio on the other hand has called out that mucky relationship that reporters often have and has upset the NFL numerous times on his reporting of factual information that other sources wouldn’t give (because they don’t want to be shut out). This type of reporting is what made him famous. He was just a lawyer doing football as a side gig in his basement but his site became extremely popular over time because he exposed truth that most other reporters wouldn’t dare. Eventually he got so huge that NBC bought a stake in what he was doing, which is why you see NBC Pro Football Talk now. 

The main reason some don’t like Florio is because he DOES pontificate a lot. And sometimes his preaching (which can become annoying) involves opinions that can sound anti-Bills or anti-whatever-team that the person may like. These fans don’t want to hear opinions of reporters - they just want facts. BUT, at least when Florio does his pontificating, he never passes it off as fact. He says outright that he is giving an honest guess. He doesn’t pretend that it’s true. So when he passes along a piece of information that he says is fact, I believe him. Because he does a good job of delineating between his guesses and what he knows for sure. And he often ends up being proven right.

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, BillsFan2313 said:

The 7.4 is without adding C Jones contract. That number next year will change significantly when C Jones contract is added. They also only have about 25 players singed next year.

Who says there trading Snead

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Yes, I believe most of what Florio says. I believe he is far and away the best NFL reporter there is. His law background and sources within the NFL give him a big advantage in my opinion. He routinely is proven right. Leagues above guys like Breer and Schefter who only pass along news that is given to them due to a quid-pro-quo relationship (meaning they also pass along agendas and false info).

Florio on the other hand has called out that mucky relationship that reporters often have and has upset the NFL numerous times on his reporting of factual information that other sources wouldn’t give (because they don’t want to be shut out). This type of reporting is what made him famous. He was just a lawyer doing football as a side gig in his basement but his site became extremely popular over time because he exposed truth that most other reporters wouldn’t dare. Eventually he got so huge that NBC bought a stake in what he was doing, which is why you see NBC Pro Football Talk now. 

The main reason some don’t like Florio is because he DOES pontificate a lot. And sometimes his preaching (which can become annoying) involves opinions that can sound anti-Bills or anti-whatever-team that the person may like. These fans don’t want to hear opinions of reporters - they just want facts. BUT, at least when Florio does his pontificating, he never passes it off as fact. He says outright that he is giving an honest guess. He doesn’t pretend that it’s true. So when he passes along a piece of information that he says is fact, I believe him. Because he does a good job of delineating between his guesses and what he knows for sure. And he often ends up being proven right.

He’s a 3rd hand information reporter, he’s a pundit, he’s no different than the Nick Wright’s or Mike Greenberg’s of the NFL landscape. 

If you want to respect the guy for creating a successful business from his basement, that seems fair, but he’s an arrogant, smug little pr*ck who loves to remind everyone he was a lawyer like that’s something to envy.

There’s an endless supply of opinions, he’s not reinventing the wheel, although I do like to hit up PFT for quick headline news, I find it to be up to date and accurate for the most part, but listening to his “I’m the smartest guy in the room” rants and takes with Chris Simms is a hard pass.

Chris Simms should actually look to breakaway from that douche and go his own way, he’s much more personable and actually has some relationships with current and past players he could lean on.

• Like (+1) 1

This was expected and Chris Jones is getting the money he wanted and deserves...$32M per year.  As to KC trading Sneed...I know there is interest from a number of teams, but if they are smart, they hold out.  KC is asking for a 2, or so I've heard.  Now with Jones' cap hit, they will be more desirous of moving Sneed to get his $19M off the books...or they could renegotiate...but it's still going to cost them likely $16M per year.  So...teams should not be in a hurry to help KC out.  They've won 3 SBs...they should pay a major price for that to the players largely responsible.

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

didn’t Florio report Caleb wanted partial ownership?

Didn’t he try to drive some “Joe Burrow may not play for the Bengals” narrative?

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/does-joe-burrow-hope-the-bengals-dont-draft-him

“Burrow may be thinking about trying to get the Bengals to not draft him -- or to get someone else to trade up and get him. And the evidence is becoming more and more clear.”

“So the brother of Burrow’s private coach, who was a first overall pick of the Bengals, says the Bengals aren’t committed to winning Super Bowls. And then Burrow says that he wants to play for a team that is committed to winning Super Bowls. Sure, there’s nothing to see here.”

lmao this is like a worse version of a bad TBD post.

that sounds just like a paragon of truth lmao

Edited by FireChans

7 hours ago, DJB said:

It’s essentially a 3 year deal. 

But it’s well worth it. Dude is a beast . 

But hey we have Von right?

Jones is one freak injury away from being the same problem Von is. I don’t wish that on him, but Von was a case of terrible luck.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Jones is one freak injury away from being the same problem Von is. I don’t wish that on him, but Von was a case of terrible luck.

Which is why I am shocked people wanted to sign him to a contract like that.. as if it was ever, at all, possible. 

He’s the best DT in the league, and DT’s do age well .. but Von was also at an elite level when we signed him.. looked every bit the elite player we paid for… until he got hurt. 

Von’s a little older, but Chris Jones is a massive body and Von may be an anomaly freak of nature.  

The risk here for the Chiefs is real.  A risk absolutely worth taking .. and because it’s KC, I’m sure one that will have zero ramifications. 

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Which is why I am shocked people wanted to sign him to a contract like that.. as if it was ever, at all, possible. 

He’s the best DT in the league, and DT’s do age well .. but Von was also at an elite level when we signed him.. looked every bit the elite player we paid for… until he got hurt. 

Von’s a little older, but Chris Jones is a massive body and Von may be an anomaly freak of nature.  

The risk here for the Chiefs is real.  A risk absolutely worth taking .. and because it’s KC, I’m sure one that will have zero ramifications. 

I doubt Jones will be a problem, but you just never know, it’s not hard for something to go wrong in the trenches.  Also, like you said, he’s a BIG guy, a lot of stress on that body.  For his sake, I hope he’s injury free forever, but we all know how the life of an NFL player can be altered in one step.

3 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Yep. It seems like a very similar type of contract Von miller got. (Except more money of course)

Where it's gonna say 5 years.

But it's really a 3 year deal that has a good chance to re structure after year 1

If they are trying to get out after 3 the restructure after doesn’t really make it easier to do. I feel like a lot of folks just throwing those terms around Willy nilly 

11 hours ago, Einstein said:

Last year Jones was willing to sign a contract that made him the 2nd highest paid DT in the league.

Instead the Chiefs offered him an insulting (relative to his skill set) 3 year, $70M deal

This year they made him the highest paid DT of all time. When he was willing to settle for #2 paid in the league last year.

In 8 months they went from offering him a deal worth a total of $70M to a deal where the guaranteed money alone is nearly 30% higher than that.

KC rarely messes up. But they should have made him a fair offer last season and avoided this. They would have saved a good amount of money.

That's good for us though. It’s obviously stinks they got him back, but it’s good that they paid more this year than they would have him if they just signed him last year.

3 for 95 plus 1 for 19 = 4 for 114 (28.5 average)

your article says Jones wanted about 28.5 average 

I’m not sure it’s a real disaster on their part 

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

3 for 95 plus 1 for 19 = 4 for 114 (28.5 average)

your article says Jones wanted about 28.5 average 

Thats $46 million less if they signed him last year. Nearly $4M per year less.

But I agree it’s not a “disaster”. Just a worse deal for them.

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

didn’t Florio report Caleb wanted partial ownership?

Yes, and others corroborated this story. The Athletic even reported that his dad was trying to find ways out of being locked into a 5 year contract for first round picks, and looking into the CBA to find “loopholes”.

Some think the NFL’s vote to prohibit non-family equity members right before the season was due to Caleb’s desire.

I get it - you don’t like Florio. Doesn’t make him wrong though.

Edited by Einstein