Chiefs-Dolphins Game - Frostbite

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

this is great stuff.  It should be pinned somewhere for cold weather games.  The link was great.  What boots do you recommend?  

Thanks you... I personally love Muck Boots... kind of ugly.  But they are serious cold weather boots.  I literally walk in small streams and puddles in the winter and I don't care... bone dry.  But do you want style or be warm?  🤪     https://www.muckbootcompany.com/mens-snow-winter-boots/

Edited by Iraq Vet
  • Like (+1) 1

I went to the Bills Raiders playoff game that about the same temperature and stayed the whole game when I was in my teens. My father left with my sister who was a preteen at the time at the end of first quarter because her clothes weren't warm enough. I have minimal sympathy for any adult because if you bundle up you will be fine and it takes several bad decisions to get to that point. As for kids, my sympathy is enormous and wish they had a father like mine. 

4 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

This is one reason why I do not support an 18 week season.  It drives the playoffs deep into cold weather situations.

The coldest game in NFL history fell on a December 31st.

4 hours ago, Billy Claude said:

I  know this is a joke but I really hope this is not true.   If it is true, some people really need to re-arrange their priorities.

No I don’t.

I’ll sacrifice a finger for a Lombardi.

20 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

I went to the Bills Raiders playoff game that about the same temperature and stayed the whole game when I was in my teens. My father left with my sister who was a preteen at the time at the end of first quarter because her clothes weren't warm enough. I have minimal sympathy for any adult because if you bundle up you will be fine and it takes several bad decisions to get to that point. As for kids, my sympathy is enormous and wish they had a father like mine. 

I agree... frankly there should be a age limit when it is under -10 degrees.   But this is America and you have right to make bad decisions.... 

• Like (+1) 1

If this happened in Buffalo fans would just chop it off during halftime and be back in their seats in time for 3rd quarter KO.

4 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

This is one reason why I do not support an 18 week season.  It drives the playoffs deep into cold weather situations.

Recall as recently as the 90's they used to start the season Labor Day weekend, so they could start earlier too if they wanted.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

18 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

Lots of bad Chiefs omens this year. 

The fans that died at their friends house. The parade shooting. Amputations from frostbite (WHAT???). Jackson and Brittney Mahomes. Kelce pushing Reid. James Toney drama. 

I think it’s their last SB. 

mmhmm. Okay.

18 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

The fans that died at their friends house. The parade shooting. Amputations from frostbite (WHAT???). Jackson and Brittney Mahomes. Kelce pushing Reid. James Toney drama. 

True, plus all the regular season on field drama... WR's dropping passes which likely would have won games,  downfield DPI penalties that could have added to their win totals, Kelce drops, stupid Kadarius Toney penalty on a huge TD play, etc..

The Bills have a blizzard during the week and it's all...OMG the distractions, what shall we do?! Doomed!

I give KC credit, they overcame all their on field and off field B.S. and still won another Bowl going through a tougher road schedule.  If I'm a Chiefs fan I'm satisfied if they don't win another one for a while.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

The story circling the internet is comically misleading. After the game, it was reported that 15 people were transported to an area hospital. Only three people were treated for frostbite related injuries directly from the game. It's unknown how many of those three required amputation. Below is an article from Jan 19, six days after the Chiefs-Dolphins game. Note it says five admissions came "within the last 24 hours" of the article being published. It was freezing temps across the KC metro region for more than a week, both before and after the game. Undoubtedly, a subset of people attended the Chiefs game. Even then, it doesn't mean they got frostbite at the game. One likely amputee that I read about (I was appalled by the 70% headlines and had to see for myself) said he was also a meter reader who works outdoors. 

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (Jan 19) – With winter continuing to grip the Kansas City area, more and more people are visiting the emergency room for weather-related injuries.

The University of Kansas Health System reported 19 frostbite patients had been admitted to its burn unit in the last 10 days, with five of those admissions happening in the last 24 hours.

Research Medical Center in south Kansas City said it’s seeing a record number of patients this year.

“Last winter we had maybe a small handful of patients come in with frostbite and frostnip,” said Dr. Megan Garcia. “This past week we’ve seen dozens of patients come in with these injuries.”

Garcia works at the Grossman Burn Center inside Research Medical Center; in fact, she helped start the unit a decade ago.

In the time she’s worked at the hospital as a burn surgeon she hasn’t had to do a lot of amputations related to frostbite, maybe 10 or 15 per her recollection, but this winter is a different story.

“In just this cold spell we’ve been having I’ve seen multiple patients that will likely require amputation five to six weeks from now. I imagine it’ll be somewhere between 10 and 20 at this point,” she added.

Extreme cases like this typically mean a patient’s fingers or toes are dark, meaning their blood vessels have exploded. To put it plainly, you’re beyond the point of repair.

4 hours ago, Sweats said:

You see, i just can't feel any sympathy for people choosing to stand out in the cold and then complain that it's too cold or making the decision to freeze their extremities for a football game.

Come on people, were smarted than this.......aren't we?!?

No for we would use that term (vey Buffalonian accent) rather than "we are smarter".

I feel bad for the fans. 

But also KC isn't a place that doesn't have winter. It doesn't get the snow of Buffalo or the cold of Minnesota or Green Bay, but they have winter. The average winter coat and gloves these days are rated for temps that would have been considered pretty high end gear in the 80's and 90's. With weather apps and access to better gear it is bonkers to me that that many people got frostbite. 

1 hour ago, beebe said:

The story circling the internet is comically misleading. After the game, it was reported that 15 people were transported to an area hospital. Only three people were treated for frostbite related injuries directly from the game. It's unknown how many of those three required amputation. Below is an article from Jan 19, six days after the Chiefs-Dolphins game. Note it says five admissions came "within the last 24 hours" of the article being published. It was freezing temps across the KC metro region for more than a week, both before and after the game. Undoubtedly, a subset of people attended the Chiefs game. Even then, it doesn't mean they got frostbite at the game. One likely amputee that I read about (I was appalled by the 70% headlines and had to see for myself) said he was also a meter reader who works outdoors. 

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (Jan 19) – With winter continuing to grip the Kansas City area, more and more people are visiting the emergency room for weather-related injuries.

The University of Kansas Health System reported 19 frostbite patients had been admitted to its burn unit in the last 10 days, with five of those admissions happening in the last 24 hours.

Research Medical Center in south Kansas City said it’s seeing a record number of patients this year.

“Last winter we had maybe a small handful of patients come in with frostbite and frostnip,” said Dr. Megan Garcia. “This past week we’ve seen dozens of patients come in with these injuries.”

Garcia works at the Grossman Burn Center inside Research Medical Center; in fact, she helped start the unit a decade ago.

In the time she’s worked at the hospital as a burn surgeon she hasn’t had to do a lot of amputations related to frostbite, maybe 10 or 15 per her recollection, but this winter is a different story.

“In just this cold spell we’ve been having I’ve seen multiple patients that will likely require amputation five to six weeks from now. I imagine it’ll be somewhere between 10 and 20 at this point,” she added.

Extreme cases like this typically mean a patient’s fingers or toes are dark, meaning their blood vessels have exploded. To put it plainly, you’re beyond the point of repair.

Wait, you expect me to read an article and not just go off a headline?  You expect too much!!

5 hours ago, Punching Bag said:

NFL should consider risks to fans / participants for extreme cold, extreme h wheat as well as snow for playoffs games.

They extended season repeatedly as they added games to schedule.

How about the food they serve?  Should the NFL consider empty calories and fat?   Oh, and parking and carbon footprints.   BOOZE.   The NFL should consider booze.

CONCRETE stairways on RAINY DAYS!   NFL should consider rain.

I have another approach.   We’re all adults and can make our own decisions.   If we’re functioning adults, we HAVE to make our own decisions.   I am aware of no NFL Office of Weather Related Injuries that brings  expertise to the conversation unique to them.   IF they have some unique information, unknown to mankind in general, I’m with you.   NFL should share that.

Otherwise, I’m good with the 67,493 decisions I have to make all by myself everyday.

3 hours ago, Iraq Vet said:

I don't want to be mean... but modern high tech clothing and battery operated clothing, foot & hand warmers.... There is no excuse for this.  You have to prepare for weather that is worse then predicted.   I spent many years in a Military cold weather unit.  I have been trained for extended cold weather exposure. My rules for people in my group that go with me for games:

1. Assume the stadium is 10 degrees cooler then the thermometer.  Why?  The concrete literally sucks heat way.  The seats in the 300 level are metal.  That sucks the heat from the body.   The entire stadium is a natural refrigerator, when it gets below 40 degrees.  Yes, just at 40 degrees... it is like 30 once inside in side the Stadium.
  2. If you get wet and cold...it is a life threatening condition.  Staying dry is super important. Once wet, you will lose heat 3 to 5 times faster... or more.  Do a little self test of this...Splash a bit water on your face and step outside today for a minute or 2.  You will see how fast you will get cold.   
  3. Exposed skin with -10 degrees wind-chill will damage your skin under just a few minutes.  Cover up.
  4. Bring 2x or 3x the amount of hand/foot warmers that you think you need.  They never last as long as you think they will. One of those companies even have body patches.  Get them.  Amazon sells them.  Also, someone in your group will forget to bring them.  Help out people in your row. Mafia sticks together. 
  5. Going to a game in January is not about style... it is about warmth.  Yes my hunting clothes has no Bills colors (except my hat).  But I am never ever cold.
  6. Layers... layers... layers... spend the money this spring and buy heavy weight long underwear.  It is on sale.  The new stuff is pretty thin.  Get the really warm stuff.
  7. Lower the alcohol intake.  I am not saying don't drink.  Just lower your normal intake a little bit. Being drunk you lose heat very fast and you body really does not react to the cold. Your temporarily fooled into feeling warm (that does not last any way).
  8. Get serious waterproof cold weather winter boots at least 400g of insulation (I wear 1000g)... wearing sneakers is just dumb.  The parking lots always have water and mud.  You must keep your feet dry.   For $100-$200 investment, you might save getting toes amputated.  That doctor bill will run in the thousands of dollars.  For single guys (or girls) being toeless because you were dumb and not prepared is not attractive.
  9.  You see player without sleeves, don't be fooled. They have very high tech stuff underneath and head right back to the warming beach a lot.  They are not exposed at the same level the fans are. Plus they are expending a ton of energy... keeping them warm.   Notice the heavy jackets they put on.  Lots of those are heated. 

Just prepare and even in the coldest game you will be actually warm.  I actually try to be the warmest person in my group. One person in the group has to be prepared properly just in case of an emergency. The warm person can think clearly. I know that most experienced Bills fans know all of this... but I might have just helped a 1st timer that is not from Buffalo at a January game. 

It boggles my mind that any adult would need these warnings/instructions. 

It should be this simple:

1. Don’t be a moron. 

was at the -20 chill factor game. 3 layers clothes,  Newspapers under our feet and over snow for insulation. no one gottbfrostbite. KC bunch of pu**ies.

18 hours ago, zow2 said:

True, plus all the regular season on field drama... WR's dropping passes which likely would have won games,  downfield DPI penalties that could have added to their win totals, Kelce drops, stupid Kadarius Toney penalty on a huge TD play, etc..

The Bills have a blizzard during the week and it's all...OMG the distractions, what shall we do?! Doomed!

I give KC credit, they overcame all their on field and off field B.S. and still won another Bowl going through a tougher road schedule.  If I'm a Chiefs fan I'm satisfied if they don't win another one for a while.

As a Bills fan I'd also be satisfied if they don't win another one for awhile 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 3/7/2024 at 5:38 PM, ToGoGo said:

If I still had a middle finger, I’d flip you the bird.