UPDATE: SIGNED Bills looking at bringing back Trubisky per Tim Graham

35 minutes ago, Logic said:

Nice.

People often have unrealistic expectations of what a backup QB should be.

In this day and age, where teams usually only have two QBs on the 53-man roster, the whole "draft a 7th rounder and develop him behind your starter" doesn't necessarily work. It was a fine thing to do back when teams rostered three QBs. The backup was the trusty vet that could play in a pinch, the third stringer was the developmental project.

But nowadays? You need a guy that can get you through two quarters or two weeks if your QB gets banged up.

Trubisky is better than many backup QBs in the league, and also worse than a few of them. He's certainly closer to the top of the list than the bottom. Already knows our system, our coaches, our locker room, and has a friendship with Josh.

Good signing. Not everything needs to be advanced calculous. 

He was 0-4 as a starter last year.  In those 4 games had 4 tds and 5 ints and threw for an average of 153 ypg at 6.1 ypa.  None of those numbers inspire confidence that he can get us through 2 quarters or 2 weeks.

I agree he knows our locker room in a physical sense but how many players are left from 2 years ago when he was here? 

I disagree he knows our coaches or our system.  We have already hired and fired a coordinator since he left.  How many coaches are even left from dabolls staff when he was here?

I watched him last year and he was not good at all.  This and the haack signing are headscratchers and hopefully just place holders in case the positions can't be improved in the draft or late fa.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Do they come with their own 49ers O-line, weapons and system included? because sign me up. Purdy was better than the system QB label he keeps getting stuck with as he's played as well as he has but the idea he'd just fit here is a little over the top.

I'm just saying to take a chance.  Trubisky is awful.  He must be a great teammate.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I'm just saying to take a chance.  Trubisky is awful.  He must be a great teammate.  

Even if we take a chance on a day 3 QB we still need to have a baseline in place. That's the goal for 90% of free agency. Make sure you have baseline talent in place at every position so that you're not reaching for needs in the draft. Ideally some of that baseline talent will be supplanted by rookies, but you can't count on it.

• Like (+1) 1

Trubisky had flashes in Chicago. Was solid in his previous stint in Buffalo. But c'mon man. You would suck if Matt Canada was your Offensive Coordinator. 

Edited by Draconator
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don’t get the love for this guy. Yes he was our former backup. Yes he was a top draft pick that had promise. Yes he’s been horrible lately and has ZERO traits Josh does. Is our season over if Josh gets hurt - yes. So I’m not completely phased at who our backup is. But at least get someone who can sub in and play the same offense that Josh does ICOE. Scrambling ability alone says Mitch is not that. Your backup should be a guy that can go in and win 2-3 games in a 4-5 game stint should Josh have some minor injury. I would have 0 faith in mitch if this happened and the offense would completely change. Go grab a UDFA this draft that has legs and call it a day. I just don’t like this as a backup plan. At all. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

I don’t get the love for this guy. Yes he was our former backup. Yes he was a top draft pick that had promise. Yes he’s been horrible lately and has ZERO traits Josh does. Is our season over if Josh gets hurt - yes. So I’m not completely phased at who our backup is. But at least get someone who can sub in and play the same offense that Josh does ICOE. Scrambling ability alone says Mitch is not that. Your backup should be a guy that can go in and win 2-3 games in a 4-5 game stint should Josh have some minor injury. I would have 0 faith in mitch if this happened and the offense would completely change. Go grab a UDFA this draft that has legs and call it a day. I just don’t like this as a backup plan. At all. 

I disagreed that he has some of the traits that Josh Allen has

That is not to say that he is even close to the player that Josh is but he has a good arm and he’s mobile and has plenty of NFL experience

And who is not to say that they still can’t draft a guy anybody that you draft which will probably be at the end of the draft is going to need time

8 hours ago, boyst said:

Was obvious

Why?

From watching him painfully try to play in Pittsburgh, my thought was "this guy is toast and I never want to see him on a football field again"

I would really like us to have a backup who can actually finish a game constructively or maybe even win one.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

I disagreed that he has some of the traits that Josh Allen has

That is not to say that he is even close to the player that Josh is but he has a good arm and he’s mobile and has plenty of NFL experience

And who is not to say that they still can’t draft a guy anybody that you draft which will probably be at the end of the draft is going to need time

He’s never been a truly mobile qb, unless you count his best year in 2018 with 400 yds. If Allen ever goes out for a few games my biggest worry is that you’re just not running the same offense with Mitch, asking him to scramble for 1st downs or running qb draw in the redzone. It’s just not worth the money whatever the terms are. 

For example Max Duggan was a promising talent and LAC got him in the 7th round on a $795k/yr deal. Has similar traits and abilities to Allen - albeit WAY less than Josh obviously. But I’d trust him and not changing the game plan much vs Mitch for way less money. Idk why we can’t try and find that match in the draft late or UFA/UDFA route. 

FA cheap guys I would’ve liked instead: Mariota, bridgewater, tyrod 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, section122 said:

He was 0-4 as a starter last year.  In those 4 games had 4 tds and 5 ints and threw for an average of 153 ypg at 6.1 ypa.  None of those numbers inspire confidence that he can get us through 2 quarters or 2 weeks.

I agree he knows our locker room in a physical sense but how many players are left from 2 years ago when he was here? 

I disagree he knows our coaches or our system.  We have already hired and fired a coordinator since he left.  How many coaches are even left from dabolls staff when he was here?

I watched him last year and he was not good at all.  This and the haack signing are headscratchers and hopefully just place holders in case the positions can't be improved in the draft or late fa.

This.

3 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

He’s never been a truly mobile qb, unless you count his best year in 2018 with 400 yds. If Allen ever goes out for a few games my biggest worry is that you’re just not running the same offense with Mitch, asking him to scramble for 1st downs or running qb draw in the redzone. It’s just not worth the money whatever the terms are. 

For example Max Duggan was a promising talent and LAC got him in the 7th round on a $795k/yr deal. Has similar traits and abilities to Allen - albeit WAY less than Josh obviously. But I’d trust him and not changing the game plan much vs Mitch for way less money. Idk why we can’t try and find that match in the draft late or UFA/UDFA route. 

FA cheap guys I would’ve liked instead: Mariota, bridgewater, tyrod 

Tyrod Taylor is never coming back to Buffalo

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

I'll take a Keenum any day over a Trubisky.  

Why not try to get better at the position?  Maybe you hit on a Brock Purdy late in the draft or some other mobile QB.

Tyrod, Minshew and Wentz are out there.  All are much better options than Trubisky - unless Beane feels the price would be too high.  

Peak Keenum I agree. The version we got was past his best Keenum and worse than Mitch.

Minschew I agree is better but he will get a considerably better deal as a result. Wentz royally sucks. He is worse than Mitch and indeed WAS out of the league much of last season. Tyrod isn't coming back here.

1 minute ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

@GunnerBillMitch is hot garbage pure trash he should get a job at waste management company! Dislike that if u want.. 

I disagree. He is a middling backup. He is certainly better than Kyle Allen. He has some familiarity with the team and the people. 

I hope they haven't committed big dollars to him and I would still try and draft a guy day 3. But Mitch as primary backup in 2024 is about as good an option as realistically was out there for them.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1