Could the Bills be looking at Denver?

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

but it shouldnt

But it would. We're not going to spend a 1st Round pick when our top WR's would be set in stone with Diggs and Sutton on the Outside with Shakir and Kincaid in the Slot.

Another year where we didn't have to find a 2 DE's one a starter, 4 DT's one a starter, and both Starting Safeties - on top of a million important depth pieces and not a lot of money to do it maybe you spend your 1st elsewhere.

But with all of that combined with what we'd have to give up in Draft compensation and money (both this year and years to come) for Sutton - best believe that 1st would go elsewhere before off the bench WR.

4 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

He's 29 with two years left on his contract with a $17+ million cap hit this year. You hate to extend him and have another 30+year old receiver.  We have to see how the heck we're going to get under the cap as it is. I say draft a WR and follow the KC path on defense.

He turns 29 in October, but yeah the cap numbers probably wouldn't work.  

6 hours ago, Success said:

I think we get a 1st rounder, and either Boyd or Bourne.  And that'd be just fine.

I'd rather trade up in the 1st round for a better prospect than trade for one of these guys & their larger contracts.

Why Boyd?  I see his name come up often but he’s a slot.  I don’t see him as a fit in the least.  

7 hours ago, HomeTeam said:

But why would they move on from them? 

Because the salary cap is not real, that's the ... oh, wait. Turns out it is very very real indeed.

That's why. Simple. Painful. 

The timing for this isn't a mistake. They could have waited weeks, months. They are doing this as they try to get under the cap. They are doing it before the bonuses are due, and before they are able to see who will be available to replace these guys. Not knowing is a disadvantage, but a disadvantage that is partially offset by the ability to not pay bonuses, even small ones, and to be able to keep or bring in other, cheaper guys.

Makes 'em worse right now. But they have to get younger. It can work in the long run. Having Josh on the team makes it more likely that it will. But they have to be replaced on the team with cheap FAs, draft picks and UFAs. The selections have to be right in a large percentage of the time. And if the team looks worse, especially early in the year, that's just what happens. You can't get around it.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 minutes ago, In Summary said:

Just say "No" to trading picks for veteran players with big salaries.  Do the Bills truly suck at evaluating WR talent?

"... with big salaries"? Exactly right. 

We'll see cheap to mid-priced guys. But yup, the expensive guys are pipe dreams this year.

10 hours ago, mannc said:

I agree...looks to me like all of the big three will be gone by then.  I had some hope that Odunze would last until then, but I think his combine performance put that to rest.  And yes, it seems a little high to pick Thomas Jr, Worthy, or Mitchell.  Any such trade would have to be a draft day situation, dependent on who's available.

And besides, it really depends upon the Bills board and how they’ve stacked it. They *could* have the receivers ranked very differently than the internet consensus. For example, maybe they have Legette as their third guy. Maybe they want to bet on his measurables, for example. Who knows…

I just hope they get help for Josh early and their pick pans out

To spend $13M on Jeudy this year unless you re-sign him to a contract that would be more expensive in terms of AAV?

Jeudy's decent, but not much of an upgrade over Gabe Davis.

I don't see this at all.

To me these moves today don't make you think about Denver unless you were already fixed on the idea of trying to go there.

Anyone feel any different after the dust settled? Pretty sure with Allen, Dawkins, and Taron Johnson extensions we can get way under the cap now. A reasonable trade for a vet X like Sutton at $12mil fits easily. Sign a starting quality 1Tech, a serviceable starting FS, and some cost-conscious depth then we're set at every starting position on both sides of the ball and can go BPA across the board on draft day, take several swings at WRs with upside whether that be X, Z, or slot, but not pressured to get an immediate starting X at #28 or feel the need to trade up.

10 hours ago, TBBills Fan said:

I agree with Steve Smith, Jeudy is average. No thanks

Jeudy also strikes me as unfocused and kind of dumb.  I'm with you.  I want guys who are ultra competitive. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

You can start by watching one the 1,000,000 cap assessment videos members have posted.  There are plenty of things Beane can do to create cap space by restructures / extensions, etc.  he can also by back load FA contracts and add void years until some of these bad contracts come off the books.  Your assessment of not adding FAs and next year being a reset year is baseless and talking in the definitive voice, like your in the know, makes you sound ignorant.  

Nope.

I shared my opinion and now you can choose to ignore it

17 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

I don’t believe drops are comparable, I’ll have to look it up. QB play makes a huge difference in those numbers. When all you’re good at is the go route of course your RAC is going to be better. Anyone who actually watches Cortland Sutton knows he’s the far superior talent to Davis. It’s not even close

I mean... I'm sure an eye test says something but sub 60% catch percentages every year but this past season.  It's part of being a deep threat and contested catch player.  Same thing with poor YAC every season.  He's targeted further down the field.  

I also think you are discounting davis a bit.  27 TDs in 4 seasons is nothing to sneeze at.  Especially when you consider he was splitting time in some of those years behind Brown and Sanders.  

15 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

In Year 1. And what will that do in future years? What about the 17.8 next season?

You shouldn't want a big move like Sutton. With everything we had to do before today and the new holes we created today - a move for a guy like Sutton would remove us from Round 1 WR consideration.

We wouldn't give up Draft picks for Sutton, take on his contract, and then Draft a guy in Round 1 who's ceiling in Year 1 would be WR4 off the bench.

Its not 17.  Its just the base salary and maybe roster bonuses.  Still - 13 and change is a lot.  2025 is not guaranteed at all for what you are acquiring as well, so you could potentially just cut him next year for no cap hit.  We would need to convert salary to bonus though to fit him in. 

Signing and restructure are already paid out dollars spread out by denver.  They would eat that in cap space.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/courtland-sutton-25139/

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

Jeudy isn't worth the money he's making now and he's gonna want a raise. No thanks. I'd rather draft someone with superstar potential that is cost controlled.

He’s worth $12-13 million. Yes please. He would explode with Josh Allen.

20 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

You can start by watching one the 1,000,000 cap assessment videos members have posted.  There are plenty of things Beane can do to create cap space by restructures / extensions, etc.  he can also by back load FA contracts and add void years until some of these bad contracts come off the books.  Your assessment of not adding FAs and next year being a reset year is baseless and talking in the definitive voice, like your in the know, makes you sound ignorant.  

There are indeed plenty of things Beane can do to create cap space by restructures / extensions, etc, and you're also right that he can back load FA contracts and add voice years.

If he wanted to just create cap space for right now, he'd doubtless do those things.

What he's said he wants to do, though, is, "'How much can we create without totally piling up a huge mess in ’25 or ’26, whatever year it is?'”

He's never wanted to be one of those guys that consistently push more and more things down the road. He didn't like being in the situation he found himself in this year. He absolutely is going to accept next year as a bit of a reset year, and we saw yet more proof of that today with all the cuts. 

Nothing is absolutely impossible. If he has a shot at an incredible bargain that will cost a lot, he could take it. But the smart money says he won't, that he's going to add low-priced and maybe one or two medium-priced FAs this year, most likely spend a bit less on FAs than he did last year.

He will have to do at the least one re-structure, Josh's, but don't expect too much after that.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

He absolutely is going to accept next year as a bit of a reset year

A GM with a top 2 QB and a HC that most consider to be on the hot seat, is going to accept next year as a reset year?  Not a chance.  The recent cuts indicate that Beane is still in “all in mode” not reset mode.  He cut a bunch of aging, oft injured, and under achieving vets on bloated contracts.  Bean is obviously not trying to run it back like he has in previous years.