156 is my count. How many modern roughing the passer penalties can you find?

Coldfronts

Back when men were men!! Who cares that these guys can’t walk, some of CTE, at least these men were men, am I right?!?!

it’s almost like the changed the rules to make the game safer for a reason…

that being said, I only watched like 3 minutes of it, but I didn’t see many plays that would’ve been penalties. A super late hit on Kosar, a couple of dirty low blocks, and a lineman ripping a QBs head off, but other than that it was about what we see now 

Edited by Ya Digg?
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

Game has undeniably changed, for the better and for the worse, depending on which way they look at it. 

Players are pretty much an investment nowadays and they want to be able to have that protected and healthy in the best way possible. The product now is all dependent on the quarterback and best skill players being on the field as much as possible to produce the best viewing results for the public. 

I’m sure many of us wish the game was as physical as it once was, there’s sadly no way it ever reverts. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Someone's got some spare time.  

😁

It’s the “ I’m bored” / “gossip season”  /  or / “ what can I be disgruntled about”  

This is proof positive that “some people “ desperately need a 2nd hobby…, y’all need to go buy a metal detector or something, 😂

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Haha (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

It’s the “ I’m bored” / “gossip season”  /  or / “ what can I be disgruntled about”  

This is proof positive that “some people “ desperately need a 2nd hobby…, y’all need to go buy a metal detector or something, 😂

Or go outside, get some fresh air, and find a good activity.  

:D 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Self gratification is always an option

• Haha (+1) 1

I don’t mind that the QB is more protected, because without one a team’s season is over, BUT some of the roughing the passer calls today are egregiously bad: a slight push just after the ball is released and the QB doesn’t even go to the ground, a hit across the top of the helmet, a player who lands without his body weight on the QB yet is still called for RTP. There’s a healthy balance somewhere in the middle but right now we’re on the extreme side.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Coldfronts said:

Don't be a Chuck DICKerson

you don't understand nuance very well, do ya?

1 minute ago, TBBills Fan said:

I stopped counting my total a long time ago but I have 156 beat for sure 

mahomes nor brady were in those clips, therefore i did not see any penalties against a QB.

• Haha (+1) 2

It's a video of "Brutal Hits". So, they are targeting big hits, which are obviously going to have penalty implications for today's game.

But if you sit down and watch a game from back then, you'll have maybe a few hits that would be penalties today, but not really that many.

3 hours ago, MJS said:

It's a video of "Brutal Hits". So, they are targeting big hits, which are obviously going to have penalty implications for today's game.

But if you sit down and watch a game from back then, you'll have maybe a few hits that would be penalties today, but not really that many.

Go on You Tube and watch the season recap of the 1970 or 1971 NFL season.  It was unbelievably brutal the hits that were being put on QB's back then.  And the tenor of the video was how positive this was.  And that the fans were loving the game more and more.  Interesting to see how the game has changed.  I started watching in the early to mid 70's when I was a youngster, and the game certainly has changed.  It was good then.  And it is still good now.  It was just glamorized back then as a gladiator sport of violence physicality and intimidation.  With the Raiders and Steelers symbolizing that.  The Vikings and Rams were also considered very physical teams back then.  But the same can be said about hockey as well.  Completely different game today then 50 years ago.  And life in general from 50+ years ago til now has evolved the same way.  Watch videos of protests in the 60's and 70's.  The cops used to beat the tar out of protestors with impunity.  Now they tiptoe around afraid to do much of anything.  You decide which was a better way.

• Like (+1) 1