Connor McGovern Restructured

6 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

He can play OC, right? Super valuable interior flex. 

The OL is well-compensated with the left siders both on 2nd tier 2nd deals, a top-ish tier OC (and RFA-matched year 3/4 OC backup), and two Day Two rookie right-siders. That's a LOT of cap tied up in the top-6 OL...which is timeless roster management until you watch KC's banged-up, mediocre, highly-penalized OLs ring up ZERO holding penalties in their last three Super Bowls. (I know holding calls are WAY down in general during SBs (only 7 in last 6 games)...but when you realize the Chiefs have been in half the SBs covered here without being penalized at all, it becomes immediately obvious that they are being favored, statistically, significantly.

The infuriating eye test on the most recent San Fran SB pass rush issues against KC blockers is pretty damning on its own. 

He can play Center, yep. 

Was a good signing. I said at the time we made much better OL moves last offseason - signing McGovern and drafting Torrence - than the year before - signing Saffold and committing to Bates. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

10 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

And the first domino falls.  Good move, he was a good signing.

Very good signing,  I pegged him as the bestvand most underrated signing in pre season 

Whiffed on my Harty prediction though, thought he'd be John Brown in this O

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Very good signing,  I pegged him as the bestvand most underrated signing in pre season 

Whiffed on my Harty prediction though, thought he'd be John Brown in this O

I felt he would at least fill the old Beasley role. So we both whiffed on that one.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I felt he would at least fill the old Beasley role. So we both whiffed on that one.

Same.

In watching what he did in 2021, in his only real season with significant reps Offensively, and with a much lesser QB - I expected him to be a "Diamond in the Rough" for us with Josh. 

Instead it was only rough.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, BillsFanForever19 said:

Same.

In watching what he did in 2021 in his only real season with significant reps Offensively will and with a much lesser QB - I expected him to be a "Diamond in the Rough" for us. Instead it was just rough.

Yeah you whiffed on Sherfield too. Rough offseason for you last year brother.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Void years carry cap hits of 4.8M, 1.87M, and 935K in '26, '27, and '28 respectively. But if we extend his contract through any of those years we don't take any dead money hits.

An Ed Oliver restructure is likely to be reported next.

Greg Tompset at Cover One noted that the difference in the current NFLPA cap numbers was the number of Oliver and McGovern's potential base salary restructure, so I believe you are right.

Honestly, I am ok with it. Oliver frankly outplayed his contract last year, and though quieter I think McGovern did too, and he can be an emergency center if necessary. I am ok with both of those.

My only surprise is that I expected Dawkins, Johnson and Douglas to get deals done first, but in retrospect the restructures were probably quicker ones to bang out so Beane knows how to structure the extensions.

16 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Greg Tompset at Cover One noted that the difference in the current NFLPA cap numbers was the number of Oliver and McGovern's potential base salary restructure, so I believe you are right.

Honestly, I am ok with it. Oliver frankly outplayed his contract last year, and though quieter I think McGovern did too, and he can be an emergency center if necessary. I am ok with both of those.

My only surprise is that I expected Dawkins, Johnson and Douglas to get deals done first, but in retrospect the restructures were probably quicker ones to bang out so Beane knows how to structure the extensions.

I don't think Oliver outplayed his brand new contract. He disappeared after he hit that 500k bonus.  Wr needed him to be somewhat close to as inpactful as Jones was in the divisional round, and he wasnt.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He can play Center, yep. 

Was a good signing. I said at the time we made much better OL moves last offseason - signing McGovern and drafting Torrence - than the year before - signing Saffold and committing to Bates. 

Adding David Edwards wasn't a bad move either, I'd welcome him back to be our 6th OL/depth at Guard again. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

He can play OC, right? Super valuable interior flex. 

The OL is well-compensated with the left siders both on 2nd tier 2nd deals, a top-ish tier OC (and RFA-matched year 3/4 OC backup), and two Day Two rookie right-siders. That's a LOT of cap tied up in the top-6 OL...which is timeless roster management until you watch KC's banged-up, mediocre, highly-penalized OLs ring up ZERO holding penalties in their last three Super Bowls. (I know holding calls are WAY down in general during SBs (only 7 in last 6 games)...but when you realize the Chiefs have been in half the SBs covered here without being penalized at all, it becomes immediately obvious that they are being favored, statistically, significantly.

The infuriating eye test on the most recent San Fran SB pass rush issues against KC blockers is pretty damning on its own. 

i remember reading some blurb, i think on twitter, about how the chiefs are "elite" at drawing defensive holding calls in the passing game, and avoiding those calls on themselves.  makes me sick!

• Like (+1) 1

Connor McGovern, on the contract he signed, might be one of the best Beane signings of his tenure. 

Rock solid OG, signed for his prime years, on a value contract with term, that has the ability to be worked with down the line. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He can play Center, yep. 

Disagree on Bates, mostly because I can't knock the team for taking an IOL insurance policy that's cheap but it's hard to argue that McGovern and Torrence weren't upgrades

Just now, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Disagree on Bates, mostly because I can't knock the team for taking an IOL insurance policy that's cheap but it's hard to argue that McGovern and Torrence weren't upgrades

But Bates was committed to as a starter. That was my issue with their 2022 approach. He is a guy who can start and not get destroyed. But he is not a guy who you can start and expect him to improve one of the poorest lines in football. They needed upgrades and settled for a baseline player.

3 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Adding David Edwards wasn't a bad move either, I'd welcome him back to be our 6th OL/depth at Guard again. 

Actually, that is Bares you describe.  Edwards was 7th with an asterick as he played the heavy package quite a bit.

17 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I don't think Oliver outplayed his brand new contract. He disappeared after he hit that 500k bonus.  Wr needed him to be somewhat close to as inpactful as Jones was in the divisional round, and he wasnt.

Oliver had a great regular season.

Oliver also has the same amount of postseason sacks in his career as Boogie Basham.

• Like (+1) 1