McDermott says a Lombardi is "not a matter of if, just a matter of when"

Ray Stonada

3 hours ago, Dr. K said:

The endless ranking on McDermott, in which the same people say the same things over and over again, and nobody raging that he should be fired has said anything new since the 13 seconds game--or at least in the last year--makes me never want to come back here again.

The few who want to talk about other things relevant to the Bills and not ride their hobby horses to death keep me coming back here to check in now and then.

And the repetitive anti-McDermott whining drives me away again. You can't begin reading any thread without eventually running into the necessary quota of bitter complaint that McDermott will never win a title/is a fool/is arrogant/is lazy/is too conservative/has lost the locker room/is surrounded by his yes-men, yada yada yada. 

Maybe he should be fired. I don't know. My instinct and life experience tell me that the world is not fair, that time and chance happen to us all, that the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry, that even brilliant people make mistakes, that leadership takes many forms, and that finding success is not as simple as these people insist. But apparently there are a lot of Bills fans who have never been wrong in their entire lives. 

“It’s business, it’s not personal”. A lot of McDermott detractors would say he is not a horrible coach. However like you so eloquently laid out with your “of mice and men” analogy, things go awry. We are now going into year 7 with 1 afc championship appearance. I’m sorry but that’s a problem. I understand many are infuriated with the ungrateful negative Nancy’s.  But on the flip side many are infuriated with the good ship lolly pop “beane is a wizard” “McDermott is doing a great job crowd.”I think most can agree that the bills are not achieving at the level they should be. One group wants to be divorced from the negativity and the other wants to be divorced from complicit apologists.  The truth is somewhere in the middle. I’m older so I don’t have time for excuses. I have more of a sense of urgency. When you are younger, there is a lot more time to wait. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

And Tyrod Taylor is elite, too?  

When did Josh start coaching that top-10 defense?

Oh right, that same top 10 McD defense that gets shredded every playoffs.  Got it!  Yeah, Tyrod was pretty dynamic that day against the Jags.  My bad, I know better than to include the playoffs in any Bills discussion.  

• Like (+1) 3

15 hours ago, BillsFan2313 said:

I am just praying Babich can put together a game plan that offers a little resistance against offenses in the playoffs, then what McD is saying will happen

It’s funny how people think it will be Brady’s offense and Babich on defense. McD will put Babich in a very tiny box and then he will have some degree of freedom. But he will not actually have freedom to make it his. Brady will be using most of the same things we saw last year. McD is not going to let him completely rebuild and redesign our offense from what it has been.

The perception of change is more important than actual change. Said somebody somewhere about excitable gingers.

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm not mad for the fake punt

I went quickly from "WTF is that" to "defense couldn't stop a Vatican football team anyway so they had to try something"

By that timestamp I believe KC scored every single drive and we were behind

It isn't the play that caused the loss

11 hours ago, <bills4life> said:

“It’s business, it’s not personal”. A lot of McDermott detractors would say he is not a horrible coach. However like you so eloquently laid out with your “of mice and men” analogy, things go awry. We are now going into year 7 with 1 afc championship appearance. I’m sorry but that’s a problem. I understand many are infuriated with the ungrateful negative Nancy’s.  But on the flip side many are infuriated with the good ship lolly pop “beane is a wizard” “McDermott is doing a great job crowd.”I think most can agree that the bills are not achieving at the level they should be. One group wants to be divorced from the negativity and the other wants to be divorced from complicit apologists.  The truth is somewhere in the middle. I’m older so I don’t have time for excuses. I have more of a sense of urgency. When you are younger, there is a lot more time to wait. 

I find this funny. I'm 73 years old. In my experience, the younger you are the more impatient you are and the less willing you are to admit that life is not simple. 

I'm not on "the good ship lollipop." If you'll go back a few years you'll see that I was one of the most skeptical of McDermott's "Trust the process" mantra in his first years. I think it's possible firing him might work out for the best, but it seems to me that those who are most eager to do this underestimate how hard it is to do what McDermott has done, how many times in life dumb chance prevents a desired outcome, and have a fantasy in their heads that "if they just hire X, then we will win a Super Bowl."

For this particular old dude, the repetitive raging that fills this board (and this particular thread) seems characteristic of men (mostly) who cannot face complexity. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

I find this funny. I'm 73 years old. In my experience, the younger you are the more impatient you are and the less willing you are to admit that life is not simple. 

I'm not on "the good ship lollipop." If you'll go back a few years you'll see that I was one of the most skeptical of McDermott's "Trust the process" mantra in his first years. I think it's possible firing him might work out for the best, but it seems to me that those who are most eager to do this underestimate how hard it is to do what McDermott has done, how many times in life dumb chance prevents a desired outcome, and have a fantasy in their heads that "if they just hire X, then we will win a Super Bowl."

For this particular old dude, the repetitive raging that fills this board (and this particular thread) seems characteristic of men (mostly) who cannot face complexity. 

I agree with this....i'm 55 and been following the Bills for nearly 50 years. I rant and rave and B word and moan about this team all the time, however, on the flip side, when was the last time this franchise had any sort of stability at HC or in the FO? We might not be where we want to be yet, but we certainly don't want to be where we've been, that's for sure.

My only regret is that my dad couldn't witness a Bills SB win before he passed....his 3 greatest passions were the Steelers, Packers and Bills (not in any particular order, mind you). 

Now, i'd like to see the Bills win a SB before the day i ever pass.

For a lot of us fans, this team is a generational type thing....it's in our blood, our DNA. It's who we are as a fanbase and yes, we always think the grass is greener on the other side, however, when not seeing the team through rose colored glasses, sometimes that grass in your neighbors yard is worse.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

It’s funny how people think it will be Brady’s offense and Babich on defense. McD will put Babich in a very tiny box and then he will have some degree of freedom. But he will not actually have freedom to make it his. Brady will be using most of the same things we saw last year. McD is not going to let him completely rebuild and redesign our offense from what it has been.

The perception of change is more important than actual change. Said somebody somewhere about excitable gingers.

Ok

On 2/26/2024 at 8:33 AM, H2o said:

Josh has had Diggs, yes. He had a couple years where Beasley was the failsafe outlet, yes. Outside of those two, who has he had? John Brown? Please. An on his last legs Emmanuel Sanders? An inconsistent Knox and Gabe Davis? Cook emerged this year, but also had some big drops in the passing games at times. They drafted Kincaid, who will only get better. Truth is Allen has been the offense mostly just because of the player he is, outside of Diggs being his #1. His OL has also been EXTREMELY suspect up until this past season where they were better, but still not KC, SF, Philly, or Dallas good. No one is saying the offense is the worst. But he doesn't have McCaffrey, Kittle, Samuel, and Aiyuk. He doesn't have Chase, Higgins, and Boyd. He doesn't have Tyreek Hill and Jalen Waddle. He doesn't have Devonta Smith and AJ Brown. He hasn't had some of the weapons like many of the top offenses in the league. Like I said, he does more on his own. 

Per the bolded, Allen's not on a rookie contract either like Purdy and Tua are.  You dont get a top 5 qb + top RB + Top WR all being paid top $$$.  And for the Eagles, Hurts is a very average QB, and his contract is nothing close to Allens.

The Bills also were never as bad as Cincy was when they drafted Burrow and Chase in b2b years top 5.  Add in Higgins, there is your talent.  Boyd is a Beasley/brown level talent.  And he will be gone.

They have put SOME talent around Allen, but the reality is Allen takes up space as he is a top 2 QB in the league.  We pay for the right to have him and it shows in other ways.

43 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

Per the bolded, Allen's not on a rookie contract either like Purdy and Tua are.  You dont get a top 5 qb + top RB + Top WR all being paid top $$$.  And for the Eagles, Hurts is a very average QB, and his contract is nothing close to Allens.

The Bills also were never as bad as Cincy was when they drafted Burrow and Chase in b2b years top 5.  Add in Higgins, there is your talent.  Boyd is a Beasley/brown level talent.  And he will be gone.

They have put SOME talent around Allen, but the reality is Allen takes up space as he is a top 2 QB in the league.  We pay for the right to have him and it shows in other ways.

Purdy is the fluke in all of this. They had Jimmy G prior to, but he was on a middle of the road QB contract. Reason being, Shanahan's offense can almost be run by a chimp in pads. Ok not literally a chimp, but you get what I am saying. He knows how to coach up QB's and get the most out of them.

Tua is in the same system with McDaniel as Purdy with Shanahan. Miami is about to find themselves in a more tight cap situation as well when they pay middle of the road Tua top QB $$$. They also have Waddle coming up soon, and possibly Jaelen Phillips. 

No, Allen is not on a rookie contract anymore. In all fairness though, this season is where his new $$$ is finally ballooning for the first time. They had opportunities to do more for Allen, but they have not. Part of it is because Allen himself makes everyone else around him better than what they actually are, outside of Diggs who was good before he got here. Part of that is they were banking on Gabe's development. Then the rest of it is they spent resources elsewhere and hoped to get lucky while bargain hunting. It hasn't worked out. He has not had the same talent around him as the other top offenses in this league. Whatever the reasoning may be or how people try to justify it, this is the case. 

For Allen's future cap figures, they will likely have to renegotiate a deal after this season tacking on more years and throwing in more guaranteed $$$. We know what we have so it's not a bad of a situation overall. 

4 hours ago, Cray51 said:

Allen's cap hit has never been above $18.6M prior to this coming season

they have absolutely failed in putting the pieces together on offense

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Dr. K said:

in order of bolded:
-I never implied that you were

-and what exactly has he done? Win some afc east titles? Okay I guess

-I would argue that most decent coaches would have similar outcomes with josh allen as their qb.

-people pointing out flaws or criticism is not always necessarily ranting or raging in my humble opinion.

i am also not saying you are wrong with your assessments.  However I also subscribe to the mantra “insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different outcome.  I have zero problems with McDermott as a leader, culture builder, teacher and scheme builder.  My problem is his in game coaching decisions at critical points during the game especially in the playoffs.  At times he exhibits very poor judgment and mental lapses.  If you are telling me you have a franchise qb and other talented players, not to mention the qualities I gave him props for, and it still isn’t enough?  That tells me a change needs to be made.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, <bills4life> said:

in order of bolded:

-I would argue that most decent coaches would have similar outcomes with josh allen as their qb.

-people pointing out flaws or criticism is not always necessarily ranting or raging in my humble opinion.

i am also not saying you are wrong with your assessments.  However I also subscribe to the mantra “insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different outcome.  I have zero problems with McDermott as a leader, culture builder, teacher and scheme builder.  My problem is his in game coaching decisions at critical points during the game especially in the playoffs.  At times he exhibits very poor judgment and mental lapses.  If you are telling me you have a franchise qb and other talented players, not to mention the qualities I gave him props for, and it still isn’t enough?  That tells me a change needs to be made.  

You and I are on the EXACT same page. Very, very well said! 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, <bills4life> said:

in order of bolded:

We'll have to agree to disagree.

I'll just suggest that there is no guarantee your new head coach is going to have the qualities that I bolded in your post and leave the floor to you. I only wish I didn't have to hear the same complaints every day in every thread. 

Edited by Dr. K

1 minute ago, Dr. K said:

We'll have to agree to disagree.

I just suggest that there is no guarantee your new head coach is going to have the qualities that I bolded in your post and leave the floor to you. I just wish I didn't have to hear the same complaints every day in every thread. 

Fair enough.  I respect your opinions.  And I apologize that people’s “complaints” take your enjoyment from the message board.  I do appreciate your intelligent banter back and forth without personal attacks.  You write very well by the way.