McDermott says a Lombardi is "not a matter of if, just a matter of when"

Ray Stonada

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I brought up this stat before but it still is amazing how ridiculously good his qb is and how his vaunted defense has let them down time and again.
The Bills were the only team as of Thanksgiving that did not have a wr drafted originally before the 4th round. 

If McDermott is saying “when” it means he’s hearing the pressure from the national media that at some point your QB can’t keep bailing out your defense and it’s time to look at exactly what you’re doing. 

Well, he had a wide open WR in the end zone and short-hopped him. Yeah, it's only one play, but c'mon, JA needed to make that play.

That's the difference, making plays when needed, even under duress. 

3 minutes ago, DrBob806 said:

Well, he had a wide open WR in the end zone and short-hopped him. Yeah, it's only one play, but c'mon, JA needed to make that play.

That's the difference, making plays when needed, even under duress. 

Didn't Chris Jones hit his arm as he was throwing if I remember correctly.

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

I’m not sure if Jones touched him or Dawkins got pushed back into him, but it was not a clean throw. 

You can decide to be angry because we can’t quite get over the top in the playoffs with the Chiefs in our way, or you can focus on how close we are. I’m with McD in this case, they can get this done.  

• Like (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, beebe said:

If he said he hasn't given the game another thought, people would be saying he doesn't try to learn from his mistakes and get better. People will see what they want to see. 

True, I agree. But we always hear about staying level in the nfl. If someone makes a mistake you learn and move on. McDermotts statement sounds to me like he dwells. That's pure speculation on my part, but I do think that coaches and teams way over think thjngs sometimes 

I'm sure this thread is gonna go 25 pages and be mostly circular arguments and vitriol, but...

The two things I found most interesting from the whole column:

1.) Sean McDermott has the 15th best winning percentage ALL TIME among coaches who have coached at least 7 seasons. That's pretty impressive.
2.) Tom Flores once said that an appointment to the NFL's Competition Committee is the second best individual honor a head coach can receive, behind being named to the Hall of Fame.

Other than that, I didn't hear much from McDermott that seemed newsworthy or column-worthy. Pretty much a re-hash of the same of type of stuff he always says. But those two points above were very interesting factoids to me.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Augie said:

I’m not sure if Jones touched him or Dawkins got pushed back into him, but it was not a clean throw. 

You can decide to be angry because we can’t quite get over the top in the playoffs with the Chiefs in our way, or you can focus on how close we are. I’m with McD in this case, they can get this done.  

Dawkins was bull rushed right into Allen. He came into camp clearly not in shape and then we see plays like this one when the season is on the line. Dawkins is one of our better OL, but we need to be better that this is we actually want to win it all.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/chris-jones-pushes-dion-dawkins-into-lap-of-josh-allen-forcing-errant-throw-on-bills-final-drive-in-2023-divisional-round

• Like (+1) 1

Why were they content with just replacing Bernard with Klein in the playoff game against the Chiefs?

Why didn't he have another plan for when that didn't work?

He seems to lack ideas for emergencies.

Why did he use Oliver for so many snaps?

Because of injuries to other players, but didn't he have other ideas?

He still doesn't seem to have a long term vision of playing 20 or 21 games.

Head coaches learn and grow from their mistakes, but he is going too slowly.

I am getting to the point where I can no longer wait.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I think it was close, yes, but the ball was already out. 

1 minute ago, akinko_kd said:

Why were they content with just replacing Bernard with Klein in the playoff game against the Chiefs?

Why didn't he have another plan for when that didn't work?

He seems to lack ideas for emergencies.

Why did he use Oliver for so many snaps?

Because of injuries to other players, but didn't he have other ideas?

He still doesn't seem to have a long term vision of playing 20 or 21 games.

Head coaches learn and grow from their mistakes, but he is going too slowly.

I am getting to the point where I can no longer wait.

There's only so much you can do, searching the waiver wire, etc in November/December/January. Slim pickings. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

What I read in McDs comments is that he is out of ideas. Feels to me like his strategy is to go another season hoping our opponent screws up at our time of need. 

Honestly, this is how teams win consistently in the biggest games.  New England and now KC are not head and shoulders above the other teams - they just don’t crap the bed in the critical moments but rather wait for their opponent to do it, then take advantage. 

When the Bills learn how to perform in the crunch and not screw up their chances, they’ll win a championship. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 分前、DrBob806 はこう言いました:

はい、危うかったと思いますが、ボールはすでにアウトでした。 

11月、12月、1月にできることは限られており、権利放棄ワイヤーを検索するなどです。 スリムなピッキング。 

The defense to spy on Kelce was effective in 2022 and should have been easy to plan for during the week.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

What I read in McDs comments is that he is out of ideas. Feels to me like his strategy is to go another season hoping our opponent screws up at our time of need. 

Same feeling I got.

The message of "just keep trying and eventually it'll work" is not ideal. 

That's not the way life works. Thousands of scientists have died at 80 some years old having never proved their theorem, and plenty of mechanical engineers have passed on without every completing their invention, etc etc etc.

It doesn't just "eventually work". You have to continually evolve.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Same feeling I got.

The message of "just keep trying and eventually it'll work" is not ideal. 

That's not the way life works. Thousands of scientists have died at 80 some years old having never proved their theorem, and plenty of mechanical engineers have passed on without every completing their invention, etc etc etc.

It doesn't just "eventually work". You have to continually evolve.

Bingo! I had a Business Partner who’d consistently return from new project interviews and report that he came in second…again. He was very well intentioned in his efforts but consistently one step behind the competition. His preparation was excellent but when it came to being in the moment he simply had a problem ‘closing the deal’. 

• Like (+1) 3

49 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

Well Shaw, you have to get there before you can win one.  He has shown no ability to do so.  Marv Levy hasn't won one, yet either.  At least he knew how to get there.

You see, your mindset is wrong.   He HAS shown ability to get there, he just hasn't gotten there.   Those are two different things.   

How do I know he's shown the ability?  Because his teams have won a lot of games, his teams have pulled out a lot of wins, his teams have succeeded more than just about all the teams in the league over the same period.  So, he HAS shown the ability.  

He just hasn't done it, yet, which is exactly the point that he makes.  Every single thing of importance that has been accomplished in the history of human existence had never happened before it was accomplished for the first time.  The fact that it hadn't been accomplished did not prove that it couldn't be accomplished; it proved only that it hadn't been accomplished yet.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

About the fake punt to Hamlin against KC: “Had I not faked that punt, with what I knew going into that situation, it would have been a failure had I not tried,” McDermott said. “I would have gone home that night saying, ‘What would have happened had I faked that punt?’ It didn’t work out that specific situation in that in that particular moment, but I need to do everything I can to help our team win.”

I would find it refreshing if he would come out and say, “I effed up.”

His lack of accountability is bothersome to me. 

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The guy was naming Hill and Waddle and Chase and Higgins and the 49ers many high priced weapons. AJ Brown and Smith. Thats just crazy.

The only real beef about failing Allen would be 2022 when they failed replacing Beasley in the slot and the OL was below average. 

You said JA has had weapons. Whom are these weapons you speak of outside of Diggs and Beasley (three years in total and two of those with Diggs)? Kincaid this year alone, yes, but they still didn't use him correctly for most of the year. Cook's emergence as one of the better RB's in the league this year, yes. Who are the rest of these weapons over the years? They brought back both Beasley and Brown a couple of seasons ago because they had no one. We have had multiple inconsistent players and they've gone bargain basement hunting in hopes of striking it "WR rich", but it hasn't worked out. They have failed JA in this regard, relying too much on his playmaking instead of adding another legitimate playmaker to go with Diggs. Or at least putting forth an effort like they were actually trying to. 

The OL has been average at best since he's been here. This year was a bit better, but JA still makes them look better than they are because of his athleticism and the fact he is hard to bring down. Dawkins and Morse have been the only above average-good starters they have had on the OL for JA's career. Bates, Feliciano (who was just too often injured), Saffold (the Pro Bowl train wreck), Darryl Williams (Jekyll & Hyde), the turnstile version of Spencer Brown (who still has trouble with speed rushers or guys with multiple moves), and let's not even talk about the rest of the guys. 

There have been many places they could have at least attempted to do more, but they did not. Let's just hope they continue to do the right thing this year. But with our cap situation and the losses we are looking at on defense, it could be more of the same. 

57 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

So do you think that every time after a game where Josh gets in front of media and says “it’s my fault”, “I can’t make that pass”, or “I have to be better for my teammates” Sean thinks he is not helping the team win?  Why does he allow Josh to always fall on the sword but finds that if he did that “it doesn’t help the team win?”

He has to let Josh make his own decisions about what Josh says to the press.   McDermott cares about what Josh says, and what others say, to the team.  

The truth is that talking to the press is all downside and no upside.  When Josh talks to the press, he runs the risk of offending one or more teammates, but there's pretty much nothing he can say to the press that will improve his relationship with his teammates.   

What do you think Josh is supposed to do, or McDermott for that matter?   Say, "It was my fault"?   Should he say it in response to everything that went wrong?   Well, no, he can't say it with respect to everything, because he knows and we know that it wasn't always his fault.   Okay, so he should say it was his fault only when he actually believes it was his fault.   So, on the long ball to Diggs, when the press asks Josh what happened, he says something like, "Well, we're all disappointed we weren't able to complete that one."  Which means, of course, since he didn't say it was his fault, Josh thinks it was Diggs's fault, i.e., he throws Diggs under the bus.   

You see, McDermott's policy about keeping all of his judgments to himself and in house means he never has to dis his players in public, and that's the right thing for coaches to do.   We just don't like it, because we want more information, but McDermott doesn't really care how much information we want.  What he cares about is winning, and winning requires a completely together locker room, and you can't have a completely together locker room if the coach is explaining to the public what his players or coaches did wrong.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The play design of the fake punt was terrible.  KC sniffed that out immediately.  The problem with McDermott will never be his heart. Obviously he wanted Damar to have a moment.  But the glaring problem is with his head.  I'm still not confident McD gets this team to a championship.  But it's out of my control.  Maybe Josh rises up beyond the coaching flaws?  Who knows?

• Like (+1) 1