Breaking: Salary cap set at $255M

HappyDays

13 hours ago, Virgil said:

Chiefs have 28 mil in cap space.  They can easily bring back Jones and add pieces.  Hooray

They rebuilt most of their Oline and D  in just 2 years. Plus maitaining all that cap space despite paying big QB money. Smart drafting and trades. They will get better next year. We can only hope we don't watch reruns of the last 3 seasons but it's feeling that way, at least right now.

• Agree 1

The problem the Bills have is Beanne and giving guys these big contracts who are either too old or not stars.  Everyone talking about the White and Miller deals and what about the Dawson Knox contract with cap hits of 14 & 15 million over next 2 seasons. You can replace what you get from Dawson Knox with a 2nd or 3rd round pick.  He is not a star,  he drops passes and yet we pay him the same the Chiefs pay Kelce . 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This also just in. The NFL has received numerous letters from Chiefs, Dolphins, and Steelers fans complaining about how the OT playoff rules changing, and the Steelers vs Bills playoff game being moved due to being "cold", are now saying the 12 million dollar increase over salary cap expectations is to help the Bills because Allen can't win the big one and they are sick of the Buffalo favoritism. More on this story as it develops 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Westside said:

Who’s Sneed?

L'Jarius Sneed is the Chiefs number one CB who had a season that rivaled Gilmore's best.

13 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

We’ll see.  Jones already said he’s coming back.  I’m sure they’ll work something out.

They likely will unless Jones gets a lights out offer elsewhere.  Still...if Jones is looking for $28M plus per season, that will tie up a lot of capspace.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Sandwich Gordon GIF

No, just not a sucker or boot licker for everything the Bills do as "winning".  But go ahead with your bad self Charlie Sheen.  Enjoy the participation trophies.

Edited by Gunsgoodtime

On 2/23/2024 at 1:27 PM, beebe said:

The Bills would be better served hyper focusing on the draft. Free agency is a poison pill if trying to land a big name guy.

You're competing against other teams trying to fill the same positional need, and to get the player you desire, that almost always means overpaying (that will be especially true this year with added cap space.) Most important, you're overpaying for a player who performed well in someone else's system. How they'll translate to your system, or what made them successful in the prior system, is often highly unpredictable. 

Naw, the bills need to fill all their needs in free agency so they can draft the best players available in the draft. if they just ignore free agency, they are going to be forced to draft starters at DT, DE, and Safety in the draft even if they aren't the best available. They shouldn't go after top tier free agents, unless there is a special circumstance like a one year deal. But they still need to get some quality players in free agency that can be a starter if needed. 

4 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

This also just in. The NFL has received numerous letters from Chiefs, Dolphins, and Steelers fans complaining about how the OT playoff rules changing, and the Steelers vs Bills playoff game being moved due to being "cold", are now saying the 12 million dollar increase over salary cap expectations is to help the Bills because Allen can't win the big one and they are sick of the Buffalo favoritism. More on this story as it develops 

I’m sure the NFL will act on these complaints straight away..

From what I have seen.. Chiefs fans are happy because it benefits them in retaining Sneed and Jones 

6 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

They rebuilt most of their Oline and D  in just 2 years. Plus maitaining all that cap space despite paying big QB money. Smart drafting and trades. They will get better next year. We can only hope we don't watch reruns of the last 3 seasons but it's feeling that way, at least right now.

The OL was a legit rebuild.  

Their DL revolves around Chris Jones. It’s easy to have guys like Omenihu and Karlaftis look good with the best DT in the league in the middle.   Rousseau and Epenesa would dominate off the edge with Chris Jones. 

34 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The OL was a legit rebuild.  

Their DL revolves around Chris Jones. It’s easy to have guys like Omenihu and Karlaftis look good with the best DT in the league in the middle.   Rousseau and Epenesa would dominate off the edge with Chris Jones. 

Not dominate but it would certainly help them

On 2/24/2024 at 6:24 AM, GunnerBill said:

They will restructure Knox - 100%. They won't touch Miller. I think they will really try not to touch Diggs too. 

Agreed, and I'd love not to touch both Miller and Diggs. 

But do you think it is actually possible?

If I do all the basic conversions + all the expected extensions (Dawkins, Johnson, Douglas) + cut Hines & Harty I end up with about $20M in cap space and about 38 NFL players. Then I add 7 draft picks (I hope 7+ make the roster) for $10M + $4M for PS players I end up with maybe $6M for remaining 8 players we need and at least 1-2 of them will be midsize FA.

I know we can still cut White/Morse maybe Neal/Poyer and there could possibly be some paycuts but I'd be truly surprised if Beane manages not to convert Diggs or Miller.

I'd love that though and I hope Beane sees it the same way.

Edited by No_Matter_What

1 hour ago, No_Matter_What said:

Agreed, and I'd love not to touch both Miller and Diggs. 

But do you think it is actually possible?

If I do all the basic conversions + all the expected extensions (Dawkins, Johnson, Dougles) + cut Hines & Harty I end up with about $20M in caps space and about 38 NFL players. Then I add 7 draft picks (I hope 7+ make the roster) for $10M + $4M for PS players I end up with maybe $6M for remaining 8 players we need and at least 1-2 of the will be midsize FA.

I know we can still cut White/Morse maybe Neal/Poyer and there could possibly be some paycuts but I'd be truly surprised if Beane manages not to convert Diggs or Miller.

I'd love that though and I hope Beane sees it the same way.

It is tight. I did my workings out in another thread recently and got to about $20m, but that was on the assumed $242m cap and included cutting Von (June 1) and Mitch Morse. I can now see a route to keeping Mitch and either a restructure adding a void year or even possibly a paycut (I think Mitch will only carry on playing in Buffalo, if it isn't here I guess he retires so maybe he'd be willing to take a bit less than the $6.8m base salary he is due i.e. the bit of the contract that isn't guaranteed).

So on the $255m cap.... I think you can do it. But it doesn't leave a lot of space for signings and aside from a 1T and a safety where I think they will need to bring in at least starting calibre players (or retain Jones at 1T) they will need to sign a handful of other vet minimum types to provide some depth competition going into camp. 

On 2/24/2024 at 6:58 AM, Green Lightning said:

It’s excellent drafting that I’ve also kept the Kansas City Chiefs good they are running with a very, very inexperienced defense through the draft

That is what we need to do

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is tight. I did my workings out in another thread recently and got to about $20m, but that was on the assumed $242m cap and included cutting Von (June 1) and Mitch Morse. I can now see a route to keeping Mitch and either a restructure adding a void year or even possibly a paycut (I think Mitch will only carry on playing in Buffalo, if it isn't here I guess he retires so maybe he'd be willing to take a bit less than the $6.8m base salary he is due i.e. the bit of the contract that isn't guaranteed).

So on the $255m cap.... I think you can do it. But it doesn't leave a lot of space for signings and aside from a 1T and a safety where I think they will need to bring in at least starting calibre players (or retain Jones at 1T) they will need to sign a handful of other vet minimum types to provide some depth competition going into camp. 

WIth the tight space we have, you say bring in a 1tech and a safety...

Where does a vet WR rate in terms of a free agent signing? How much would you limit the spending on a vet WR and who do you think that lands us?

1 hour ago, Nephilim17 said:

WIth the tight space we have, you say bring in a 1tech and a safety...

Where does a vet WR rate in terms of a free agent signing? How much would you limit the spending on a vet WR and who do you think that lands us?

I have said that for me it depends on where they really feel Stef is at. If they think he is truly on the downslope I'd be willing to commit $5-7m AAV for 2 year (maybe with a void year to spread some cash out). 

If they think Stef is still elite I'd pass on a mid range vet and just draft two from this clsss.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/24/2024 at 11:46 AM, Gunsgoodtime said:

No, just not a sucker or boot licker for everything the Bills do as "winning".  But go ahead with your bad self Charlie Sheen.  Enjoy the participation trophies.

I will take the participation trophies. We are currently getting as we are in a position to have a chance to win a Super Bowl every year. Thank you very much.

In your way of thinking we’re back to being in great draft position every year

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I have said that for me it depends on where they really feel Stef is at. If they think he is truly on the downslope I'd be willing to commit $5-7m AAV for 2 year (maybe with a void year to spread some cash out). 

If they think Stef is still elite I'd pass on a mid range vet and just draft two from this clsss.

Have you heard anything from your contacts about what the organization is feeling on Steph's ability now? Or nothing yet?

On 2/24/2024 at 7:02 AM, Niagara Dude said:

The problem the Bills have is Beanne and giving guys these big contracts who are either too old or not stars.  Everyone talking about the White and Miller deals and what about the Dawson Knox contract with cap hits of 14 & 15 million over next 2 seasons. You can replace what you get from Dawson Knox with a 2nd or 3rd round pick.  He is not a star,  he drops passes and yet we pay him the same the Chiefs pay Kelce . 

We're signing guys prematurely.  We're extending guys before we see their full body of work. Bass and Knox are classic examples. The Chiefs are just flat out a more polished organization all around. Coaching,  GM contracts, drafting etc.  We're chasing this dynamic every year. We sign a Von Miller and he goes belly up. They sign Jones and of course he immediately turns into Aaron Donald.  These things are not coincidental. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We're signing guys prematurely.  We're extending guys before we see their full body of work. Bass and Knox are classic examples. The Chiefs are just flat out a more polished organization all around. Coaching,  GM contracts, drafting etc.  We're chasing this dynamic every year. We sign a Von Miller and he goes belly up. They sign Jones and of course he immediately turns into Aaron Donald.  These things are not coincidental. 

They didn't sign Jones they drafted him. 

On 2/23/2024 at 11:39 AM, SoonerBillsFan said:

41 mill over instead of 51, so only an 10 mill difference for us, which somehow I am missing how the cap going up by 13 mill, only nets us 8 mill? 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/?ref=trending-pages

The Bills were way over $51M after they made the void year moves going to Dead Cap.  Those players had to be replaced with others to get

back to the 51 players.  That is where the discrepancy comes from.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.