An interesting format to evaluate the Bills foundation

DJB

I like this format. It doesn't paint a pretty picture of us having a reliable foundation of elite talent.

Looks like they've only done the AFC East so far, the Pats are predictably weak but here's the Fins and Jets for comparison:

24 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I disagree with a couple. Milano as "injury concerns?" Dawkins is nowhere near my level of concern as Morse. I am NOT calling Spencer Brown a proven commodity after one decent season.

Looking at the jets and im like... Breece Hall is blue chip and James cook is not?  

And what is the taron johnson concern?  He was all-pro this year.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Looking at the jets and im like... Breece Hall is blue chip and James cook is not?  

The only thing I can think of it that he's entering the final year of his contract. But...I mean, that's actually not a bad thing for the Bills. In fact, that his contract will expire next year and that he has most of his salary non-guaranteed means that he's one of our prime choices to negotiate with to get our cap down.

• Like (+1) 1

The problem with a system like this is that the different colors are not exclusive enough. Someone can be good and an age/injury concern at the same time. Someone can be young and unproven and also good.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Calling Greg Rousseau a pass rusher is quite generous. they should really label him a great edge setter.

He needs to take a big step next year . An Oliver sized step forward 

2 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

If you look at the color key, I have to assume Taron Johnson is just an age concern. Same with Diggs. Obviously these guys are great.

As for Breece Hall, the line is very close between him and Cook. Hall had more all purpose yards and considerably more TDs I think, without looking at the stats right now.

For Hall, the talent's always been there. He was drafted high and showed it right away. Cook started slow. So, I think there's a question mark regarding his potential to be consistently great.

I dont like how that article breaks it down with saying age/injury concern, while that can be true, that is different than saying what kind of player he is.  The one place the Bills lack is "blue chip" players.  Allen is one, Diggs is (hopefully still is).  Milano is one.  But after that, not sure what the Bills have other than a lot of good players.  They lack a difference maker in some areas.  Oliver is great, Chris Jones is a beast, we need a beast.  Same thing at DE, unless Von makes a huge comeback, there are just some good players there, no beast.  The offense is largely set, they need re upgrade/replace some WR's and maybe find a future beast.  But DL and Safety are issues right now.

When it comes to pass rush, Rousseau and Oliver are 1B talents. On the other hand, Chris Jones, Aaron Donald, Maxx Crosby and a prime Von Miller are examples of the 1A players - they create the chaos the other guys can take advantage of.  

The Bills don't have enough chaos makers.  

The 49ers, in reality had just one chaos maker on the defensive line against the Chiefs - Bosa.  The rest of their line are like our guys - they don't create it on their own.

This system is very subjective. Just because they use a cute color key does not make it accurate. The system is no better than the talking heads saying, here is by ranking based solely on my opinion. If you put some kind of scoring system for each metric( quality of player, age, prone to injury etc.) and weighted it to justify decisions in ranking then you may have something. Rating the quality of player against their peers is tough. We all know the pro-bowl is unusable as an achievement indicator as an example. Even PFF grades cannot be trusted.  Going by what was presented and that opinion,  it would appear the Miami and Jets have a better foundation.  The center of any foundation is the quarterback, he should have most of the weight on offense.  When  you have that you have a good foundation.

Edited by since79
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Yobogoya! said:

I like this format. It doesn't paint a pretty picture of us having a reliable foundation of elite talent.

Looks like they've only done the AFC East so far, the Pats are predictably weak but here's the Fins and Jets for comparison:

I don’t get why some players are grouped together, some aren’t.  For instance, maybe Achane is fair being listed as good (although he had his share of injuries in year one, too).  But I would NOT list Mostert as green too, yellow at best.  He’s aging just as much as a guy like Diggs and is a RB, and is frequently banged up.  Interesting way to look at where each team stands, but I question whatever the underlying approach is.

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

I don’t get why some players are grouped together, some aren’t.  For instance, maybe Achane is fair being listed as good (although he had his share of injuries in year one, too).  But I would NOT list Mostert as green too, yellow at best.  He’s aging just as much as a guy like Diggs and is a RB, and is frequently banged up.  Interesting way to look at where each team stands, but I question whatever the underlying approach is.

Achane misses half his rookie season with injuries - green.  His yards per carry was wildly high but he couldn't make it through a season without getting hurt twice (shoulder and then knee).  He also fell off a cliff after the injury.  

Bernard replaces a pro bowler at a premium position and has a fantastic year - pink... need to see more.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/19/2024 at 1:44 PM, Freddie's Dead said:

I rate Ed Oliver Good, not a blue-chipper.  Chris Jones he ain't.  Otherwise decent chart.

He is a level above Spencer Brown, Dalton Kincaid and James Cook though. I think Ed is a blue chip. I just think need a higher category above that which only Josh sits in for us. Ed Oliver was our 2nd best player in 2023 though. And it wasn't close IMO. 

On 2/19/2024 at 3:14 PM, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Yea agree on Breece vs Cook. If I am giving the edge to anyone I give it to Cook. 

Taron it is probably contract related (1 year left) but they will have no issue fixing thst and extending him IMO

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, dpberr said:

When it comes to pass rush, Rousseau and Oliver are 1B talents. On the other hand, Chris Jones, Aaron Donald, Maxx Crosby and a prime Von Miller are examples of the 1A players - they create the chaos the other guys can take advantage of.  

The Bills don't have enough chaos makers.  

The 49ers, in reality had just one chaos maker on the defensive line against the Chiefs - Bosa.  The rest of their line are like our guys - they don't create it on their own.

Chase young was supposed to be.  Kinlaw hargrave and armstead are all solid disruptors too.  

Honestly the greenlaw injury was brutal.  Everything was going underneath and after that injury they were able to attack with kelce more.  Held them under 20 in regulation fwiw.  

Meh!

What did Kincaid do as a rookie that Torrence didn’t do as a rookie or Benford and Benard did in the 2nd years?  All three guys played extremely well at their positions erasing 3 holes in our starting roster in the process, just like Kincaid did.  Benard played much of the year at the pro bowl level.

Also why Douglas and T Johnson a yellow? Both are solid starters under contract and both are likely to be extended this off-season.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.