What is your level of patience on not advancing to the Super Bowl?

Chaos

What is your level of patience on not advancing to the Super Bowl?  

214 members have voted

1. 1. What is your level of patience on not advancing to the Super Bowl without making an HC change?

• I have no more patience, I would already have made a change
    • 1 more season
    • 2 more seasons
    • 3 more seasons
    • Never make a change as long as the team is competive and makes or almost makes the playoffs every year.

Patience is a virtue.  That is not in dispute. 
So it is arguable that the more patience one has the more virtuous one is being. 
This poll is a test of your virtue. 

More undisputed facts:

• Sean McDermott Bills head coach since 2017
  • The Bills have made the playoffs 6 of those 7 years
  • The Bill have not made it to the super bowl in any of those 7 years. 
  • Only three NFL head coaches (Reid, Tomlin, Harbaugh) have been with their teams longer (all have coached Super Bowl champions in their career)
  • Two other coaches have the same number of years (McVay, Shanahan) Both have been to the Super Bowl twice. One has won a Super Bowl (weaker NFC)

Generally speaking teams in the NFL do not seem to be patient with coaches.  Teams have fired relatively recent super bowl winners (Pederson, Bellichek, Riveria for example). Teams have fired other coaches that made the playoffs numerous times.  Some teams have been more patient (Shottenheimer, Marvin Lewis, Dan Reeves spring to mind) 

This poll is intended to record your level of virtue.  The bigger the number you pick, the more virtuous you are. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

Patience is a virtue.  That is not in dispute. 
So it is arguable that the more patience one has the more virtuous one is being. 
This poll is a test of your virtue. 

More undisputed facts:

• Sean McDermott Bills head coach since 2017
  • The Bills have made the playoffs 6 of those 7 years
  • The Bill have not made it to the super bowl in any of those 7 years. 
  • Only three NFL head coaches (Reid, Tomlin, Harbaugh) have been with their teams longer (all have coached Super Bowl champions in their career)
  • Two other coaches have the same number of years (McVay, Shanahan) Both have been to the Super Bowl twice. One has won a Super Bowl (weaker NFC)

Generally speaking teams in the NFL do not seem to be patient with coaches.  Teams have fired relatively recent super bowl winners (Pederson, Bellichek, Riveria for example). Teams have fired other coaches that made the playoffs numerous times.  Some teams have been more patient (Shottenheimer, Marvin Lewis, Dan Reeves spring to mind) 

This poll is intended to record your level of virtue.  The bigger the number you pick, the more virtuous you are. 

Most highly successful, self-made people give up most of their endeavors quickly. Their common gift is quickly determining which endeavors will be fruitful and which will be a waste of their energy, time, money and other resources. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

I don’t personally care for answering questions with a limited amount of answers to choose from. 
If not winning championships all the time  ruins your ability to enjoy the game, maybe, just maybe you shouldn’t watch anymore?

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

13 Seconds was such an unforgivable loss that McDermott can't redeem himself in any way other than winning a Super Bowl. 

Last year, the team was decimated with injuries, this year they'll probably be worse due to cap casualties. My gut tells me that 2025 will be the "all-in" year and also his last chance. Allen turns 30 that offseason, so a change is absolutely necessary if he hasn't gotten over the hump by then.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2

this makes no sense.

No, patience I would already have made a change    What does that even mean?

1, 2, or 3 more seasons.....

or what? Take up Pickleball on Sunday afternoons?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Westside said:

I don’t personally care for answering questions with a limited amount of answers to choose from. 
If not winning championships all the time  ruins your ability to enjoy the game, maybe, just maybe you shouldn’t watch anymore?

Agree. The answers also don't really allow for many details other than a timeline.

For instance, this season I really can't be too disappointed with how it ended up considering the injuries to key players. Match that up with KC coming in pretty healthy and it tips the scale a bit in their favor. It sucks to end the season at home and to that team...but at least there is logical reasoning.

My answer to the question is simply, you keep the coach in place until a change is needed. Currently, there is one team in the NFL that has made the playoffs in more consecutive season than the Bills. That team is Kansas City. After nearing 2 decades of missing the playoffs, this is an extremely outstanding accomplishment. 

Also, judging by the reaction of the players that are in the locker room after the Dunne hit piece...his players still believe in him and he has not lost the locker room. That is the ONE thing that could make a move necessary while still making the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is tough for me.  Normally, I would say they should make the change this offseason.  But then again, what are we really asking for here?  We are looking for someone to do what no one else can.  I'd argue that McD plays Reid better than any other coach.  We scored more points against the Chiefs than anyone else did in the playoffs, same in prior years.  

With that being said, you're asking do we drop the #2 coach for a hopeful coach that can do what no one else has.  

I'm not sure how to answer that honestly.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Yea my level of patience isn't endless but the how is as important as the what. If they lose to Tua and the Dolphins in the playoffs for example I am much more likely to say "okay you have to make a change" than if they lose by a field goal to Mahomes and Reid. 

I think there does come a point when even if you don't think Sean McDermott is problem (and I don't with the exception of 13 seconds) you have to try something different just for the sake of a new voice. I'm probably two seasons away from that to be honest, and that just so happens to line up with the point where you kind of have to re-do Josh's deal ahead of his age 30 season. That is the point where even if I don't think this regime has done enough to justify a change I might want to make one. That isn't to say there are no circumstances where I'd move on after this year. There are. Missing the playoffs is a fireable offense (unless Josh gets hurt) and I said that when we were 6-6 too. 

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Virgil said:

This is tough for me.  Normally, I would say they should make the change this offseason.  But then again, what are we really asking for here?  We are looking for someone to do what no one else can.  I'd argue that McD plays Reid better than any other coach.  We scored more points against the Chiefs than anyone else did in the playoffs, same in prior years.  

With that being said, you're asking do we drop the #2 coach for a hopeful coach that can do what no one else has.  

I'm not sure how to answer that honestly.  

And that's a great point.

Look at it another way. Shannahan has been denied a Super Bowl now twice by Andy and Mahomes. Both times the 49ers had double digit leads in the game. So, should he be fired? 

I get it, it's frustrating to lose to the same team year after year in the playoffs. Right now we have the unfortunate luck of being in the same conference as the NFL's best HC/QB duo. Put the Bills in the NFC and I could see them having 2 or 3 SB appearances over the same timeframe.

• Like (+1) 6

I guess I have infinite patience, because I'm going to watch the team each year regardless.

What are you going to do, stop supporting the team? Put up a billboard? I don't really get it.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

And that's a great point.

Look at it another way. Shannahan has been denied a Super Bowl now twice by Andy and Mahomes. Both times the 49ers had double digit leads in the game. So, should he be fired? 

I get it, it's frustrating to lose to the same team year after year in the playoffs. Right now we have the unfortunate luck of being in the same conference as the NFL's best HC/QB duo. Put the Bills in the NFC and I could see them having 2 or 3 SB appearances over the same timeframe.

Shanahan is doing it w out a QB is the very obvious difference

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 2

34 minutes ago, Westside said:

All the time? We haven't even had 1 in 60 years. If we're setting the bar low to lessen our pain that's one argument. I see so many recent fans drifting toward "let's just enjoy our regular season success". And there's nothing wrong with that. But not everyone is wired the same. The goal in any sport is a championship,  not just it's participation.

I voted 1 more year even though I wanted a change after 13 sec.  I know McDermott has his diehard fans who are hanging on in the hope that he breaks through like Reid finally did 20 years later.  I just can't wait anymore.  I see more Schottenheimer or Lewis in Sean than I do the others that at least got to a SB.  But the greater problem with this team is the lack of playoff energy, focus and motivation around Josh. When will his players step up and execute like he does?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

In my meaningless opinion I would have made the change after 13 seconds. That was a fire able offense IMHO. The only thing that matters is Terry's patience. If I had to guess I would say McDermott gets 2024 and 2025. But Terry is going to want a good team going into the new stadium in 2026 so if 2025 is another disappointment then that is my guess for a coaching change going into the new stadium.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Here's the thing about that narrative. It's a crap reason.

By every metric Brock Purdy was a top 8 last year. I don't care where he was picked. He's a perfect fit for what they do there. Shannahan also has a much better set of weapons on offense to surround Purdy with to make plays. And if you've watched the 49ers Purdy has made plays. It's almost comical to watch people jump through hoops to explain why Purdy is a nothing at QB. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Doing what? Losing?

'divisional losses w Josh Allen>Super Bowl losses w Purdy/JimmyG'

McDermott Beane 2024

Just now, BuffaloBillyG said:

Here's the thing about that narrative. It's a crap reason.

By every metric Brock Purdy was a top 8 last year. I don't care where he was picked. He's a perfect fit for what they do there. Shannahan also has a much better set of weapons on offense to surround Purdy with to make plays. And if you've watched the 49ers Purdy has made plays. It's almost comical to watch people jump through hoops to explain why Purdy is a nothing at QB. 

lol

i certainly never said he was a 'nothing', he's just not very good.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

19 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I'd argue they wouldn't have made it to the SB if Lance was their QB.  They got lucky with Purdy, both with his abilities and salary.  Once they have to pay him, or anyone at the position, other positions will suffer.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Virgil said:

I'd argue they wouldn't have made it to the SB if Lance was their QB.  They got lucky with Purdy, both with his abilities and salary.  Once they have to pay him, or anyone at the position, other positions will suffer.  

they got to a Super Bowl with Garoppolo

i think they would have been ok

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.