Multiple people shot at KC parade.

fasteddie

4 hours ago, boyst said:

They had machine guns when it was passed. They also had large calibre weapons. They were also visionaries to expect that there would be advancements in firearms. The average revolutionary saw 2 major wars and a lot of advancement in warcraft.

They also were visionaries that understood that as things changed the constitution would need to change, so they made it possible to make amendments to it.

The originalist interpretation point of view is logically contradictory and is only leverage when convenient and you're literally proving it here.

The activist judiciary turned out to be the very people warning against the "crazy activist judiciary" all these years...star wars prequel level stuff there is what that is

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

And this applies to this topic, how exactly? 

Many on the right just say it’s a mental health issue.  If that’s the case then bring up and pass legislation to improve mental health.  I’ve seen nothing.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, julian said:

Yeah 100% correct, I think Chicago is really the only city that’s had any substantial reporting on the epidemic of shootings and hand gun violence in the black communities.

It still doesn’t get the nations attention like these mass shootings because the national MSM has decided mass shootings will help with the anti-gun narrative they’re clearly pushing because they don’t believe people value young black men shooting each other like they value the innocent white bystanders being gunned down.

its pretty obvious, they don’t even try to hide their agenda.

Sure, but getting bogged down in stats misses the point, the media and politicians don’t give a damn because almost all those shootings are perpetrated with handguns by young black men against young black men.

Here's the thing, I'm able to find some middle ground there and I think we can have a genuine good faith debate, because I do think there is some truth in the media not reporting on this, just like the media doesn't report on missing women of color a whole bunch, but if it's a pretty blonde white girl it's national news. Them having a pro gun ban agenda, I don't know...I mean I think if they had any agenda at all, and if I was going to think they were legit psychopaths, I'd say they make way more money with there being mass shootings...if the media actually had an agenda to get rid of guns, I'd argue they would do a much much much better job of actually getting rid of guns...they made people believe that diamonds are actually valuable and that you need to spend a crap ton of money to buy them as an engagement ring, which was a crazy marketing and media agenda.

Problem is, I've had these types of conversations with people before (I was living in Ft Lauderdale when the Parkland shooting happened and thought things were really going to change after that one, and then they started getting called crisis actors...in the media and by politicians, so truly I think it might be worth re-evaluating where the agenda potentially might be, because I don't think you're trying to come at this from a bad faith argument)

Anyway, I truly I understand it's a highly nuanced issue and am truly open to listening and getting past the talking points that would set each other off onto conditioned tracks of conversation that are built on purpose to prevent us from being able to collaborate and compromise and actually change stuff (I dunno, feel like I learned that from George Carlin), and really listen to what you are trying to say, and not how you're saying it.

Here's the problem though, because this happens basically every time I try this...someone claims there are all these systemic issues leading to gun violence, but then when I mention yes, there are systemic issues like redlining and a bunch of things impacting, yes disproportionately people of color, but also people of all low socioeconomic levels, the invariable response back is that's made up, it's not true, I am not open to entertaining that line of thought for a moment, it's in the past and people need to work harder, basically...boot straps and all.

There is also a huge increase in hopelessness and lack of connection, which sadly is being exacerbated by income inequality and it continues to get worse and instead of coming together to figure out a solution, there has been a consistent agenda to take any possible solution, break it in half and put those solutions on two sides of a fence and prevent people from being able to talk to one another and realize the only solution is to work together. 

I do think there is an agenda that led to that, I do think it's a media agenda, I could listen to it being a both sides thing and in many many ways it is in terms of not reporting on actual stuff and instead just focusing on if it bleeds it leads... but I also am looking around and suddenly out of nowhere people are terrified and angry at Taylor Swift, and they were suddenly out of nowhere terrified and angry at something else and next month it will be something else.

• Dislike 1

8 hours ago, julian said:

Yeah 100% correct, I think Chicago is really the only city that’s had any substantial reporting on the epidemic of shootings and hand gun violence in the black communities.

It still doesn’t get the nations attention like these mass shootings because the national MSM has decided mass shootings will help with the anti-gun narrative they’re clearly pushing because they don’t believe people value young black men shooting each other like they value the innocent white bystanders being gunned down.

its pretty obvious, they don’t even try to hide their agenda.

Sure, but getting bogged down in stats misses the point, the media and politicians don’t give a damn because almost all those shootings are perpetrated with handguns by young black men against young black men.

Gun violence is more of an inner city violence thing. Yes, there are shootings everywhere but I live near DC and the gun usage and deaths in certain areas is off the chain...and it spills over.  They track down some of these violent lunatics who do crimes in the suburbs and many come up from DC to rob, car jack and kill.  I blame the people doing these acts and the glorified culture of violence more than the actual guns.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

They also were visionaries that understood that as things changed the constitution would need to change, so they made it possible to make amendments to it.

The originalist interpretation point of view is logically contradictory and is only leverage when convenient and you're literally proving it here.

The activist judiciary turned out to be the very people warning against the "crazy activist judiciary" all these years...star wars prequel level stuff there is what that is

i'm sorry i can't even begin to fathom someone using Star Wars as an argument in their statements.

The Constitution could be amended but our representation is too busy trying to divide us than work together to find solutions. Our leadership is too busy ruling by executive fiat vs taking the reigns to direct our country. Our only salvation is the judicial system which keeps things working slowly because they understand that solutions of sweeping change are best made with deliberate, sane, and processed thought instead of grandiose pen and paper memos, social media photo ops, and soapbox sermons.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, boyst said:

link?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/476461/mass-shootings-in-the-us-by-legality-of-shooters-weapons/

“100 of the mass shootings in the United States between 1982 and December 2023 involved weapons which were obtained legally; a clear majority. Only 16 incidents involved guns that were obtained illegally.”

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Gugny said:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/476461/mass-shootings-in-the-us-by-legality-of-shooters-weapons/

“100 of the mass shootings in the United States between 1982 and December 2023 involved weapons which were obtained legally; a clear majority. Only 16 incidents involved guns that were obtained illegally.”

i'll dive into this. 

i know the whole thing about more gun deaths than car wrecks is not accurate but often pushed misleadingly. remove suicides by gun which are over 50% of gun deaths and the numbers change drastically. the mass shootings information may have some flaws.

the fbi database is pretty skewed, as well.

• Eyeroll 1

10 minutes ago, boyst said:

i'll dive into this. 

i know the whole thing about more gun deaths than car wrecks is not accurate but often pushed misleadingly. remove suicides by gun which are over 50% of gun deaths and the numbers change drastically. the mass shootings information may have some flaws.

the fbi database is pretty skewed, as well.

Glad to know you’re on the case!  Keep us posted 

• Haha (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, boyst said:

i'm sorry i can't even begin to fathom someone using Star Wars as an argument in their statements.

The Constitution could be amended but our representation is too busy trying to divide us than work together to find solutions. Our leadership is too busy ruling by executive fiat vs taking the reigns to direct our country. Our only salvation is the judicial system which keeps things working slowly because they understand that solutions of sweeping change are best made with deliberate, sane, and processed thought instead of grandiose pen and paper memos, social media photo ops, and soapbox sermons.

You completely missed my point. The current judiciary is an activist judiciary... they ignore precident, maybe you just don't notice because they're either doing what you like, or much more likely the, let me see if I can use these the right way, the right wing media cabal isn't shouting "activist justices, activist justices" so they're not activating their subjects with the queen of hearts (yes that is an original Manchurian Candidate reference).

It's funny you say that the representatives are trying to divide us, but as soon as anyone mentioned anything that triggered you a tiny little bit, you melted and started dividing this thread and not allowing a natural discussion to flow...that wasn't a representative in power in far off Washington, that was you.

And people use stories all the time to make points, the star wars prequels, as much as they got lambasted for it at the time, are an amazing insight into how a fascist government can come into power through legal means, it's extremely relevant and also extremely nuanced because the jedi order are not necessarily all good by any means either. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Many on the right just say it’s a mental health issue.  If that’s the case then bring up and pass legislation to improve mental health.  I’ve seen nothing.  

An excellent point ….and if you read through my posts in this thread you’ll find I’ve advocated for one thing, and one thing only: That everyone needs to simmer down, show some respect for those who were hurt or killed, and to wait to learn more about what actually happened before rushing in to solve a virtual cornucopia of society’s problems. Instead, I’ve read that this sad incident should be the launching point to fix student debt, the nuclear family, assault weapons, the second amendment in general, and yes mental health.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I'm in favor of reopening mental institutions in the US.  Lot of people with mental health issues these days it seems.  I'd rather see some of them get some help and treatment somewhere before they go off the deep end and commit acts of violence and spend life in prison.  

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

You completely missed my point. The current judiciary is an activist judiciary... they ignore precident, maybe you just don't notice because they're either doing what you like, or much more likely the, let me see if I can use these the right way, the right wing media cabal isn't shouting "activist justices, activist justices" so they're not activating their subjects with the queen of hearts (yes that is an original Manchurian Candidate reference).

It's funny you say that the representatives are trying to divide us, but as soon as anyone mentioned anything that triggered you a tiny little bit, you melted and started dividing this thread and not allowing a natural discussion to flow...that wasn't a representative in power in far off Washington, that was you.

And people use stories all the time to make points, the star wars prequels, as much as they got lambasted for it at the time, are an amazing insight into how a fascist government can come into power through legal means, it's extremely relevant and also extremely nuanced because the jedi order are not necessarily all good by any means either. 

there is no use replying to this post. we disagree. 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

All depends

on what’s behind that data.  Somehow I think all the firearm gang violence and “street” crime & criminal acts are left out under the “mass” shooting designation. If so you’d have to think just Chicago alone would skew those numbers in the opposite direction.

Edited by PayDaBill$
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

They’re all there to celebrate the same thing. How can gun violence be involved? I just don’t get it 

16 hours ago, boyst said:

there are reports of another suspect trying to force their way into the nearby IRS building. FBI SWAT and Homeland are rushing to that area.

As for why this or understanding it - mental illness is not easily understood.

It's called gangs.

• Haha (+1) 1