What is your unpopular Bills opinion?

Mikie2times

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Im going to get ripped for this but here goes....

Bills mafia is a terrible nickname for our fan base. I hate it so much.

It's so lame. In addition to the types that set themselves on fire jumping through flaming tables, it also brought with it a contingent of the fanbase that likes the pageantry of being a Bills fan more than actually following the team.

Very reminiscent of the pink-hat era for the Red Sox, where a tortured team with loyal and knowledgeable fans suddenly had to deal with a new breed of annoying bandwagoners.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Im going to get ripped for this but here goes....

Bills mafia is a terrible nickname for our fan base. I hate it so much.

A small but vocal and ever present minority of fans are really drunken trash that I would never associate with in any other venue. You know this is true. You see them every game. My wife looks around at the parking lot and we can't wait to make it to our club seats. In a perfect world there would be seperate parking and gates for those willing to pay a higher price to avoid the drunken gauntlet on game day. 

I used to hate the 'Bills Mafia. moniker, too.  I refused to use it for a long time because I didn't want to contribute to its popularity.  

Then I realized there was no fighting it and learned to embrace it.  

"Mafia" doesn't mean "criminal organization."  Well, it does now.  But here's how Wikipedia describes the etymology of the word:

The word mafia derives from the Sicilian adjective mafiusu, which, roughly translated, means "swagger", but can also be translated as "boldness" or "bravado". In reference to a man, mafiusu (mafioso in Italian) in 19th century Sicily signified "fearless", "enterprising", and "proud", according to scholar Diego Gambetta.  In reference to a woman, however, the feminine-form adjective mafiusa means 'beautiful' or 'attractive'.

I'm okay with that.  The Bills are 'fearless' and have 'swagger.'  Bills fans are 'proud' and 'beautiful.'  

1.  The Bills will never go to a Super Bowl until Billy Buffalo is relieved of duties.  
2.  The Bills will only win a Super Bowl if they bring back the Buffalo Jills. 
3.  The new stadium will not be a  better venue than Highmark Stadium.  

• Like (+1) 1

I can't stand hearing the Shout song.

I mean, I like hearing it because it means we scored, but yeah, I can't stand listening to it.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I used to hate the 'Bills Mafia. moniker, too.  I refused to use it for a long time because I didn't want to contribute to its popularity.  

Then I realized there was no fighting it and learned to embrace it.  

"Mafia" doesn't mean "criminal organization."  Well, it does now.  But here's how Wikipedia describes the etymology of the word:

The word mafia derives from the Sicilian adjective mafiusu, which, roughly translated, means "swagger", but can also be translated as "boldness" or "bravado". In reference to a man, mafiusu (mafioso in Italian) in 19th century Sicily signified "fearless", "enterprising", and "proud", according to scholar Diego Gambetta.  In reference to a woman, however, the feminine-form adjective mafiusa means 'beautiful' or 'attractive'.

I'm okay with that.  The Bills are 'fearless' and have 'swagger.'  Bills fans are 'proud' and 'beautiful.'  

I think it’s cool.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, 90sBills said:

Allen won’t bring a championship to Buffalo. 

Agreed. I think he will get a ring. Just not in WNY, sadly. Which will be ***** awful to watch when he’s 34 and wins one with like the Giants or Vikings or some *****. 

Edited by stevestojan
  • Vomit 1

I don’t know if this is unpopular but McDermott is not a top 15 HC. He is a guy that builds a good culture. He’s a good coach for poor talent. When paired against the best coaches, he does not get it done. The Bills should have fired him after 13 seconds. He is not the guy to take them over the hump. 

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t know if this is unpopular but McDermott is not a top 15 HC. He is a guy that builds a good culture. He’s a good coach for poor talent. When paired against the best coaches, he does not get it done. The Bills should have fired him after 13 seconds. He is not the guy to take them over the hump. 

That's a very popular opinion.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Von Miller will be on IR again by October, I'm guessing with the old guy injury, his Achilles.

Tre' White will be cut.

The Bills won't lose a playoff game next year ... Because they won't make the playoffs with all the new faces on one year contracts.

The new stadium should've been built out of the snow belt.

Playing in London last year cost the team a Super Bowl ... Losing Milano for the season and Jones for most of the season was the death blow to the 2023 season.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, MJS said:

That's a very popular opinion.

I hadn’t read the thread. I assumed that it wasn’t unpopular. I had him as a bottom 10 HC but adjusted it to bottom 1/2 to avoid the inevitable “have you seen his record?”

I think he would be a great hire for somewhere like Chicago. He can stabilize and build a good culture. Once that’s done you need to get him out and find the person to take the next step. He’s good with bad talent. 

• Disagree 2

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I hadn’t read the thread. I assumed that it wasn’t unpopular. I had him as a bottom 10 HC but adjusted it to bottom 1/2 to avoid the inevitable “have you seen his record?”

I think he would be a great hire for somewhere like Chicago. He can stabilize and build a good culture. Once that’s done you need to get him out and find the person to take the next step. He’s good with bad talent. 

I had thought marone had done a decent job changing our culture. I was hoping to have him one more year to thin out the weeds and get a true contending coach.

He left.  We got McDermott. He finished the rebuild with a gift horse of young talent, the last ounce of McCoy, and a defense that was loaded for potential. He squandered it every opportunity he could with poor decisions. From the beginning with Dennison and the debacle in San Diego where they insisted on starting Peterman. It was clearhe was not the guy. 13 seconds should have been a nail in the coffin

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He was on IR.

I may be wrong, but thought when they opened the 21 day practice window, he was healthy and they could have brought him up. If not, my opinion is def unpopular. 

6 minutes ago, Bockeye said:

I may be wrong, but thought when they opened the 21 day practice window, he was healthy and they could have brought him up. If not, my opinion is def unpopular. 

They could have brought him up in that window. Once they didn't he stayed on IR for the year and they couldn't have him active in the playoffs. 

They never really made clear why they didn't activate in that window. Maybe they just couldn't find a spot, maybe they didn't think he was fully healthy. 

Frustratingly his window closed then Gabe immediately got injured so we never got to find out. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

From what I can tell from this thread both the McDermott supporters and the McDermott haters think they're opinion is unpopular. 

My unpopular Bills opinion is that many Bills fans are so entrenched in their opinions that they lose perspective.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Josh Allen is good, just not good enough 

Counterpoint: Jane you ignorant slut! Folks who think Josh Allen is not good enough are akin to the folks who didn't give Elway his props until he took home the Lombardi late his career. Elway was actually a better QB and more than 'good enough' well before he got the hardware.

• Like (+1) 1