Kick the Ball in Overtime

VaMilBill

I have no idea why any coach would take the ball first in overtime in the playoffs. If your defense is supposedly that good and you trust them to get a stop, kick it. Let them get the stop, force a punt and get better field position and higher chances for getting the requisite yards for a FG 

If your defense stinks and will just allow a TD anyways, you know exactly what you need on offense and have four downs per set of downs to achieve it. Plus if you do score a TD, and your defense stinks, just go for 2 and win the game with your offense and don’t give the other team another chance once it goes to sudden death. 

It doesn’t seem like a cosmic idea to me. What do I know. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 26

Yeah it's pretty simple. If you receive the ball first, you get 3 downs to accomplish your goal. If you receive the ball second, you get 4 downs and it makes a lot of decisions easier.

Edited by MPT
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't disagree with you, but having seen this story many times before as a Bills fan, I go for it on fourth down rather than kick the FG.

You know Mahomes and Kelce have a greater than 50 percent chance of marching down the field and scoring the TD.  A FG is as good as a punt.

• Like (+1) 3

100% you kick off.

The defense has the commercial timeouts, plus the coin toss procedure to rest up. A few extra minutes after a full gameplay is not going to get you any more rested.

you always want to know what you need to get to win the game. Or tie up

this honestly felt like a very McDermott-ish game for Shanahan.

Several seemingly small but poor decisions scattered here and there that add up to losing a game that you outplayed the other team in.

still don’t understand how they didn’t expect pressure on Key downs in the fourth quarter and overtime. it’s like they were shocked every time.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

You win the toss you score a TD or go for it.  Kicking a FG just isn't a game winning plan in OT.  Especially against Mahommes.

Even if you receive first, then score a TD, the other team will get the ball too. Why would you take the ball first?

Just now, VaMilBill said:

Even if you receive first, then score a TD, the other team will get the ball too. Why would you take the ball first?

The one reason - if it goes to a third possession, it's sudden death and if you score you win.

That's the only reason why I can think you'd do it.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

I have no idea why any coach would take the ball first in overtime in the playoffs. If your defense is supposedly that good and you trust them to get a stop, kick it. Let them get the stop, force a punt and get better field position and higher chances for getting the requisite yards for a FG 

If your defense stinks and will just allow a TD anyways, you know exactly what you need on offense and have four downs per set of downs to achieve it. Plus if you do score a TD, and your defense stinks, just go for 2 and win the game with your offense and don’t give the other team another chance once it goes to sudden death. 

It doesn’t seem like a cosmic idea to me. What do I know. 

It’s an old school way of thinking to take the ball first, when it used to be sudden death…

Because both team get to possess the ball, it now makes more sense to kick, so that you know what you need to do…👍

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Yeah not a smart move giving Mahomes 4 downs for an entire drive 

The first or second series for KC iirc went to 4th down and < 1 yard at their own 30 or something. If KC gets the ball first, do they go for it there knowing that failing to convert is an insta-loss?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ralonzo said:

The first or second series for KC iirc went to 4th down and < 1 yard at their own 30 or something. If KC gets the ball first, do they go for it there knowing that failing to convert is an insta-loss?

I think they punt

• Agree 1

If the receiving team scores a TD and makes the extra point, the worst that can realistically happen is that they are either tied in a game where the next score wins or they have to stop a 2 pointer.  If the opponent scores and opts to kick for 1, then the receiving team has the advantage.  If they score a FG and can hold the other team to a FG they gain a huge advantage.  The only advantage for the kicking team is knowing what they have to do and possibly having 4 downs.  SF failed in the game, but the rules are pretty even between kicking and receiving, maybe slightly favoring receiving.  

SF can blame their loss on being outcoached several times in or near the red zone.

1 minute ago, Simon said:

I think they punt

It also changes what they might have called in third down.

12 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

The one reason - if it goes to a third possession, it's sudden death and if you score you win.

That's the only reason why I can think you'd do it.

And that is an absolutely huge reason.

4 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

They definitely punt. If you don't get it, the other team is already in field goal range to win the game. And you count on your better defense to force a punt against an offense that has barely functioned all night.

• Agree 1

The bigger question that needs to be asked is why they abandoned the run from the 2nd quarter until late in the 3rd…

They win that game if they stuck with it. 

Baltimore did the same thing. An incredible rushing team just mailing it in even after immediate success… 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.