Super Bowl LVIII game thread.

TBBills Fan

Just now, FireChans said:

Allen would’ve gotten the same benefit Mahomes did tonight, which is your golden boy Shanahan, the “best offensive mind” in the league, forgetting to run the ball in the Super Bowl, again.

Reid is the best offensive mind in the NFL. Maybe with 20 more years of experience Shanahan could eclipse him.

I have some level of grace for Shanahan in this game. Purdy is a very limited QB. He can't drive throws for the life of him and he can't make plays in messy pockets. His skillset just makes it so difficult to put the defense in conflict even with all of those skill players. Early in the game KC was shutting down the run and Purdy never gave them a reason to back off. There are spots where I can be critical of Shanahan's plan, but mostly I just see this as another case of him being let down by an underwhelming QB. He just can't get the position figured out. It's his curse.

• Like (+1) 1

Certain posters trying to make the point that Mahomes is on another level from Allen…

Mahomes is more consistent in the regular season, which has put them in better spots in the postseason, so it does matter.  

However, man up in the Playoffs, both have a had a bad game against the Bengals.    Both have had a high level games against others. 

Against each other.. you could easily make the argument Allen outplayed Mahomes the last two postseason H2H’s., but lost.. due to the team around him, the coaches around him.  

Mahomes is not on another level.  Hes more consistent in the regular season and in the postseason, they are each others equals. 

Unfortunately for us, that’s where the postseason comparisons between the Bills & Chiefs end… as they clear us almost everywhere else, every time we match up when it matters. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Reid is the best offensive mind in the NFL. Maybe with 20 more years of experience Shanahan could eclipse him.

I have some level of grace for Shanahan in this game. Purdy is a very limited QB. He can't drive throws for the life of him and he can't make plays in messy pockets. His skillset just makes it so difficult to put the defense in conflict even with all of those skill players. Early in the game KC was shutting down the run and Purdy never gave them a reason to back off. There are spots where I can be critical of Shanahan's plan, but mostly I just see this as another case of him being let down by an underwhelming QB. He just can't get the position figured out. It's his curse.

Purdy went like an hour without completing a meaningful pass. That really killed them, especially since the SF defense was playing so well during that juncture of the game.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, zow2 said:

People around here have a tough time admitting it.  Mahomes is the best. If people watch all the little things he does and does not do… including what you mentioned. He’s the absolute best.  Allen is an excellent and fun football player to watch.  He’s not the QB Mahomes is though.

Their playoff numbers are both off the charts.

The difference is Allen's defense has failed him when he put them in position to win

Josh matches Mahomes greatness when they play. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, JMM said:

CJ is a first ballot HOFER. But cmon, let's be realistic. I've been watching football for over 50 years, and NOBODY has done what this kid has done so far. Great coach? Yes. Great surrounding cast? Yes. But he's in the conversation as the GOAT now, 6 years in. That's crazy stuff

Oh yea I’m not trying to take anything away from him…in the past he has absolutely carried the whole team on his back it’s not like he has anything to prove in that regard lol

i just meant in this particular game I don’t think he played anywhere near as well as he’s getting credit for 

kind of miffs me when people talk about football like it’s qb vs qb with no regards for defensive players in general 😂. And the chiefs had a quite a few have excellent games tonight.  If that was a good game from mahomes it never would’ve never been close.  

we’ll never know how the rest of the games would’ve gone but cj wiped two late wide open tds off the board in two different very close playoff games single handedly 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

I saw another forum with this. Ouch!

You got to hand it to Buffalo. Not only did we give the Chiefs the pick that got them Mahomes, the fact that we couldn't stop them with 13 seconds changed the OT rule which allowed them to win today. You can't make this stuff up

You ought to frequent a better class of forum then.  That’s baloney.

Under the old OT rules, if the first team to possess scored a FG, the other team got the ball and a chance to score.

The new overtime rule did not apply today.  So indeed, that other forum you were on made this stuff up.

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe WAYYYY too soon to ponder this but if the NFL goes the route of opening next season with a Thursday night game hosted by the defending champs, here are all of KC's home opponents next year.  Safe pick for KC's Thursday night opener might be Baltimore but I'm thinking it might be the Chargers with Jim Harbaugh's first game as coach.  Again, IF they go the usual route, I could see it happening.

Baltimore Ravens

Cincinnati Bengals

Denver Broncos

Houston Texans

Las Vegas Raiders

Los Angeles Chargers

New Orleans Saints

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

• Like (+1) 1

Chiefs are like a Vampire, You have to stake them in the heart or they come back to life. The last 3 teams they beat (including us) didnt finish them when they had the chance and instead crumbled. Had we not had the injuries this season, I think we beat them in the playoffs. I guess its an accomplishment we came as close as we did with the scrubs we had filling in for the injuries. Mahomes, though is just on another level. He just gets it done when it matters. I think Josh is so close to taking the next step but he lacks the coaches and the team depth that KC has built up. 

Edited by Livinginthepast
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Talley56 said:

Maybe WAYYYY too soon to ponder this but if the NFL goes the route of opening next season with a Thursday night game hosted by the defending champs, here are all of KC's home opponents next year.  Safe pick for KC's Thursday night opener might be Baltimore but I'm thinking it might be the Chargers with Jim Harbaugh's first game as coach.  Again, IF they go the usual route, I could see it happening.

Baltimore Ravens

Cincinnati Bengals

Denver Broncos

Houston Texans

Las Vegas Raiders

Los Angeles Chargers

New Orleans Saints

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Or the Ravens, in a re-run of the AFC Championship game (except the Chiefs are at home).

2 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Purdy went like an hour without completing a meaningful pass. That really killed them, especially since the SF defense was playing so well during that juncture of the game.

Any time he doesn't have a perfectly clean pocket the ball either falls short of its destination or sails way over the receiver's head. Only one time in this game where I can remember him making a sort of off platform throw that was completed. You just can't win in the modern NFL without that ability and with a below average arm. And the 49ers OL is below average from the LG down so the Chiefs got Purdy off his spot more than a dozen times. Every time they did, they won the play. Tough to run an offense under those conditions, although I agree Shanahan should have leaned on McCaffrey more.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

Their playoff numbers are both off the charts.

The difference is Allen's defense has failed him when he put them in position to win

Josh matches Mahomes greatness when they play. 

There’s just little things each game that add up like accuracy, ball placement, pocket awareness… not huge differences but enough to give Mahomes all these SB’s.  

As i’ve said before i think Josh Allen is the best football player in the league.  But Mahomes is the best QB and it’s indisputable. 

Just now, zow2 said:

There’s just little things each game that add up like accuracy, ball placement, pocket awareness… not huge differences but enough to give Mahomes all these SB’s.  

As i’ve said before i think Josh Allen is the best football player in the league.  But Mahomes is the best QB and it’s indisputable. 

Mahomes did not lead the Chiefs to victory tonight. Their defense did. Something Josh cannot rely on come the post season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Certain posters trying to make the point that Mahomes is on another level from Allen…

Mahomes is more consistent in the regular season, which has put them in better spots in the postseason, so it does matter.  

However, man up in the Playoffs, both have a had a bad game against the Bengals.    Both have had a high level games against others. 

Against each other.. you could easily make the argument Allen outplayed Mahomes the last two postseason H2H’s., but lost.. due to the team around him, the coaches around him.  

Mahomes is not on another level.  Hes more consistent in the regular season and in the postseason, they are each others equals. 

Unfortunately for us, that’s where the postseason comparisons between the Bills & Chiefs end… as they clear us almost everywhere else, every time we match up when it matters. 

Certain posters trying to make the point that Brady is on another level than Big Ben. You could argue Ben outplayed Brady a couple times when they’ve met head to head. Brady is just more consistent. 

- Stillers fans circa 2014

They don’t exist anymore though. Because the argument wasn’t real back then and it’s not real today. 

18 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

I saw another forum with this. Ouch!

You got to hand it to Buffalo. Not only did we give the Chiefs the pick that got them Mahomes, the fact that we couldn't stop them with 13 seconds changed the OT rule which allowed them to win today. You can't make this stuff up

How did the new ot rule win them the game? lol sf didn’t score a td on that first drive and kc scored before time expired in ot1. 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Certain posters trying to make the point that Brady is on another level than Big Ben. You could argue Ben outplayed Brady a couple times when they’ve met head to head. Brady is just more consistent. 

- Stillers fans circa 2014

They don’t exist anymore though. Because the argument wasn’t real back then and it’s not real today. 

Mahomes may be this generations Brady with Belichick/Reid comparisons also in play. 

However, comparing Allen to Big Ben is almost as disrespectful as those who tried comparing him to Cam earlier in his career. 

Most of us going at you, think Allen would be Mahomes on KC and Vice versa. 

Edited by SCBills

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.