The Most Embarrassing Day in Bills’ History

20 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Most embarrassing day? When some idiot threw the Billdo on the field. 

2nd place goes to the guy who threw the snowball in Chuck Foreman's face.

3rd place goes to the guy who slid down the upper deck railing and fell off. We can be better than that, no?

I forgot. The day we traded Daryl Lamonica to the Raiders. That's up there, but in hindsight.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I remember right before Jim went down he threw a timing pass to Pete Metzelaars and metz slipped which led to the INT.  Several said if Frank Reich played he would have won us a Superbowl. Well he took over down 14 -7 and the rest is the history you outlined.  The play which really PO'ed me was us down near our own goal line and Kelly gets sacked for the Fumble TD. 

Get Out No GIF

We should have won SB 28 in Atlanta. A friend of mine was there and she said the moment Thurman Fumbled, the Team was done. You could see it from the stands.

What killed Super XXVIII is after the Nate Odomes interception we couldn't punch in a TD before the end of the first half. I think if we do our spirits are high and if Thurman still fumbles it's not as devastating.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

The most embarrassing day in Bills history in my lifetime (just turned 40) was the first game played in Toronto. Not only did our crappy, heartless team get rolled by Miami, you could hear audible "Let's Go Dolphins" chants from the crowd.

They took a home game away from Buffalo and put it in a different country, ironically giving the Dolphins a friendlier environment than they get when the Bills play them in Miami. It was such a disgrace.

What was pitiful too about those games was how there would be “fans” in the stadium wearing random jersey shirts from teams that weren’t even playing in the game!

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

So you knew from a game where he was playing on a bad knee, that got re torn up 1.5 Quarters into the game he was overrated?   Stop trolling.

He isn't trolling, I agree Kelly was a good not great QB. If all things were equal I would have favored Marino at QB over Kelly on those early 90 squads. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

What killed Super XXVIII is after the Nate Odomes interception we couldn't punch in a TD before the end of the first half. I think if we do our spirits are high and if Thurman still fumbles it's not as devastating.

watched many a documentary and interview about that game... the whole team deflated cause of that fumble in the 2nd dallas game... bad things come quickly especially when the team was not mentally prepared.. "oh no, here we go again" becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. I blame levy. for 25 and 28. nobody was beating redskins or dallas in the first one. 

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Most embarrassing day? When some idiot threw the Billdo on the field. 

2nd place goes to the guy who threw the snowball in Chuck Foreman's face.

3rd place goes to the guy who slid down the upper deck railing and fell off. We can be better than that, no?

What about the guy who shimmied out on the guide wire for the netting behind goal posts?

MNF I think. On You Tube for sure. 

Maybe not most embarrassing, but definitely dumbest. All table jumps included. 

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Can't remember if it was this superbowl, or the other Dallas superbowl, but didn't the bills punt at one point from like the 50, and Dallas ran it back for like 35 yards, turning up a net punt of like 15 yards? Just terrible 

Rick Tuten had a 19-yard punt the super bowl against the Giants...talk about horrible.

It feels like fumbles used to happen a lot more in general than they do now. Guys almost never fumble now overall. 

I know it does happen, and did happen Championship game weekend to the Ravens in particular, but I mean especially RBs. Even the great ones put the ball on the ground (not often) but a lot more than you see now. 

Turnovers in general seemed higher. It's part of why a 14 point lead used to mean game over. 

If Marv Levy could lead a team to 4 straight Super Bowl appearances (with one loss coming down to a missed field goal), then it's ridiculous to say he was incapable of leading the Bills to a Super Bowl win.

His presence as this team's Head Coach had nothing to do with Scott Norwood kicking wide right.  If that one ball goes through the uprights, he's forever logged in NFL history as a Super Bowl winner.  Instead, the narrative is that he possessed some kind of internal flaw that made him unable to get it done.  In reality, he was a very good HC that suffered bad luck.

The unfortunate truth of this sport is that coaches/players can have hugely successful careers that span 10-20 years... but their story and their final legacy will often come down to a single game, and sometimes a single decision or single play. 

• If Drew Bledsoe never gets injured, Tom Brady never gets a shot in the first place.  If the Tuck Rule play is called a fumble, the Pats lose that game on a Brady turnover and it's also likely that Bledsoe regains his starting job the next season.  
  • Jim Kelly and John Elway were in the same draft together.  Kelly played until he was 36 and retired, forever known as a QB who couldn't get a ring.  At 36 years old, Elway was 0-3 in the big game and still had zero rings.  Two years later, he was a back-to-back champion and his entire legacy had changed.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

So you knew from a game where he was playing on a bad knee, that got re torn up 1.5 Quarters into the game he was overrated?   Stop trolling.

I knew at the time that Kelly was playing on a bad knee, which is why I wish the team had stuck with Reich throughout the playoffs.  Reich led the team in the comeback game, then played great to beat a very good Steelers team (on the road I think).  Reich was red hot and the team was humming.  In the AFCCG against Miami, they went back to Kelly, who won the game easily by handing the ball off and throwing screen passes.  He was nowhere close to 100% in that game, but was not tested and he was nowhere close to ready in the Super Bowl, when, unfortunately, he was tested and he did not pass the test.  By the time Kelly went out and Reich came in, it was too late.

I should add that I'm a huge Marv Levy fan, but he got this one wrong.  His stance was this is "Jim's team" and so if Jim said he was ready to play, he played.  Contrast that with Bill Parcells, who against the Bills in the Bills 1st Super Bowl, stuck with backup Jeff Hostetler, even though starter Phil Simms had recovered from injury.  Hostetler had the hot hand and Parcells stuck with it, not concerned about offending Simms.  We all know how it turned out.

Edited by msw2112
  • Agree 3

23 minutes ago, DeltaDigital said:

watched many a documentary and interview about that game... the whole team deflated cause of that fumble in the 2nd dallas game... bad things come quickly especially when the team was not mentally prepared.. "oh no, here we go again" becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. I blame levy. for 25 and 28. nobody was beating redskins or dallas in the first one. 

I agree the middle two we definitely had less talent.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

If Marv Levy could lead a team to 4 straight Super Bowl appearances (with one loss coming down to a missed field goal), then it's ridiculous to say he was incapable of leading the Bills to a Super Bowl win.

His presence as this team's Head Coach had nothing to do with Scott Norwood kicking wide right.  If that one ball goes through the uprights, he's forever logged in NFL history as a Super Bowl winner.  Instead, the narrative is that he possessed some kind of internal flaw that made him unable to get it done.  In reality, he was a very good HC that suffered bad luck.

The unfortunate truth of this sport is that coaches/players can have hugely successful careers that span 10-20 years... but their story and their final legacy will often come down to a single game, and sometimes a single decision or single play. 

• If Drew Bledsoe never gets injured, Tom Brady never gets a shot in the first place.  If the Tuck Rule play is called a fumble, the Pats lose that game on a Brady turnover and it's also likely that Bledsoe regains his starting job the next season.  
  • Jim Kelly and John Elway were in the same draft together.  Kelly played until he was 36 and retired, forever known as a QB who couldn't get a ring.  At 36 years old, Elway was 0-3 in the big game and still had zero rings.  Two years later, he was a back-to-back champion and his entire legacy had changed.  

Levy can be criticised for poor clock management in XXV. He also failed to recognize that Thurman wasn't getting tripped and should have told Marchibroda/Kelly to look to run more. As we had drives that were less than 3 minutes and was no wonder the defense was gassed. I could go on and on.

25 minutes ago, without a drought said:

When the Bills drafted Jim Kelly and he decided to play in the USFL instead.

That actually worked out as Kelly developed and we sucked so bad we were in position to draft Bruce Smith. If Kelly plays in Buffalo out of college we might not in same position.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.