Is anyone else starting to feel this year's elimination more than "13 seconds" ???

ShakAttack

Why people obsess over losing to the Chiefs, I'll never know.

Why they obsess over giving losses nicknames and repeating them ad nauseam, I'll never know.

This franchise didn't even get off the bus for three Superbowl losses.  Hell, Jimmy Johnson bragged about beating us in the Superbowl the night before beating us in the superbowl. 

But no, people keep on flogging themselves about losing to the Chiefs in the playoffs. 

My god, move on already. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Nothing will ever be worse than 13 seconds in the history of my watching up the Buffalo Bills. Not even Norwood wide right was worse than that for me. 13 seconds Team was the best to ever take the field and they would’ve rolled to a Super Bowl victory. I will never not believe that the day I die.

They're about equal for me.  Makes sense since those ('90 and '21) were the two greatest Bills teams in franchise history and they were both absolutely on fire and peaking when their seasons were ended.

Before the first Chiefs game this year I actually rewatched 13 seconds for the first time since it happened. It may be the worst choke job in NFL history. 

The defensive play calls in that situation were so painfully and obviously terrible that the only explanation I can think of is Sean had a literal panic attack and had no idea what was going on or where he was. 

The way he had the entire defense play 20 yards off the LOS and left the whole middle of the field open, as if the chiefs had no timeouts. And did it TWICE.

We may never see anything like that again. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

No. The Bills had their chance and failed. Not a colossal blunder like 0:13, just plain old failure to execute. This version of KC is evenly matched with this years Bills, just took advantage of their opportunity. The game could easily have went either way in the final minutes. Thirteen seconds should just never happen.. ever. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Process said:

Before the first Chiefs game this year I actually rewatched 13 seconds for the first time since it happened. It may be the worst choke job in NFL history. 

The defensive play calls in that situation were so painfully and obviously terrible that the only explanation I can think of is Sean had a literal panic attack and had no idea what was going on or where he was. 

The way he had the entire defense play 20 yards off the LOS and left the whole middle of the field open, as if the chiefs had no timeouts. And did it TWICE.

I think Leslie Frazier shares a lot of that blame, as well

• Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, Process said:

I'll still never understand why McD and Frazier gave KC the entire middle of the field to work with when they had timeouts remaining. The entire sequence from the kickoff to the field goal was monumentally head-scratching.

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

I'll still never understand why McD and Frazier gave KC the entire middle of the field to work with when they had timeouts remaining. The entire sequence from the kickoff to the field goal was monumentally head-scratching.

They had the DBs playing the sidelines and conceding the entire middle of the field. Those were clearly plays specifically designed for situations where the offense has no timeouts and they have to throw it to the sidelines and get out of bounds.

It will never make sense. 

• Like (+1) 1

Today on Adam Schein, Nick Wright was a Guest and he made some good points even though I can’t stand the guy.

The Chiefs despite their Wr struggles showed the signs of why they are right back in the SuperBowl. 

3 things

A very dominant Defense for much of the season. 

The head coach who is arguably the best in Football right now

And Mahomes

Not to mention they have gotten younger at certain positions, haven’t had to go all in on bad contracts and been retooling the  team because they know at Playoff time Mahomes will be playing his best football. 

So take us, how many of the above 3 would you feel 100 percent good about. I think we have 1.

1)Josh - yes

2)Coach-?

3) D-? Good but not great. 

2 and 3 need to be way better to win a Super Bowl. 

Acttally I know injuries took a toll and really not reflective how good our d could have been. 

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life

Our sports teams  are cursed. There is no other explanation to any of our heartbreaking loses. We had Dominik Hasek. The best goalie to ever suit up for any team and we couldnt win a cup  with him. We had the early 90s Bills team that had 4 hall of famers on the team and they lose 4 straight super bowls. Now we have josh Allen and we cant even get to the Super bowl because of a guy named Mahommes, which we gifted to the Chiefs, when we were in desperate need of a QB in 2017. I personally am gutted and cant invest anymore emotion into this team. Every year its the same thing. Maybe the new stadium will lift the curse but who the hell knows. 

It was not as big of a loss on game day to me, because it really felt like KC was the better team this time. The Bills simply did not deserve to win that game, even though they had their chances.

But big picture-wise, it definitely feels worse. Beane took every shot he could, and it wasn't enough. There are a lot more holes to fill now, and seemingly not enough cap room to bring in impactful players. Even if Beane finds a way, a string of early playoff exits, combined with an abundance of ascending teams, will make the Bills less special in the eyes of top FAs. Key vets like Diggs, Poyer, Miller, Morse, and White are trending down, or may not be on the roster at all. Although Josh still likely has a few more elite years ahead of him, the next 1-2 seasons are looking a little grim. Not like two years ago, when all the Bills needed was to bring in a stud pass rusher. 

Edited by skibum

13 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

I think a lot of fans are actually the opposite of you which is why this is harder than 13 seconds. I think most of us came out of 13 seconds with a lot of hope. Sure, we lost in horrific fashion but Allen emerged as a truly elite player. The Bills were the talk of the town in many respect. We expected to be the Super Bowl champs the next year. I mean really expected it. So it was a little bit easier to dust yourself off and see the bright side.

With this loss I don't know where we go from here. We have earned the reputation for not closing in the postseason which is especially bad because it makes you question the validity of the 17 games you watch to get to that point. So next year if we field a top 5 defense how many think it will actually carry over? I will be hesitant to say the least. Then as you point out we had so much opportunity this year. Next year we likely have to contend with Stroud, possibly even Herbert, Burrow will be back, KC likely spends on some resources for Mahomes. So yes, for me this one is much harder mostly because it's harder to find the positive. It will come, just not yet. 

Completely disagree.  We did not deserve to win the KC game because our defense was decimated and played like it.  We moved the ball reasonably well.  But to get to the Super Bowl you need to be solid on both sides of the ball.  And special teams has to play a positive role.  (missed FG and terrible Fake punt were not that)  Also our deep passing game was lousy against KC, and for most of the season.  But there is lots to be hopeful about.  The O line played very well this year.  The defense should get healthier and a lot younger.  And we will get some more weapons for Josh.  We have our OC and DC set for next year.  

Sure it was a tough loss to lose to the Chiefs at home.  But I think the Ravens have a lot more to be upset about the way they blew their game against the Chiefs.  (Lamar is certainly not a Super Bowl level QB like the media wants to portray.)  Overall, I thought the team showed great resilience going on the 6 game run to get to the Divisional Playoff game.  And it certainly wasn't like the Chiefs kicked our ass despite our defense giving up big plays all night long.  We have a tough team that will be even better next year.  The hunger to be champions will certainly drive the team, and the entire organization..  Lets go Buffalo!!

The venting about your handling of this loss imo is ultimately healthy.  It’s processing trauma that we all feel as diehard Bills fans. 

get it out so it doesn’t get even more toxic and frankly worse rather than feel better

losing isn’t supposed to feel good. You will know when you have reached the end of your fandom when you reach apathy 

I choose hope over adversity and faith over uncertainty. It helps me traverse this rocky path to glory 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I guess each loss had its own type of bad feeling & outcome.   Josh and 2021 was a team that could have won it all and just needed to send KC packing. Which did not happen due to the worst D play scheme and coaching by a team in any playoff game in recent memory, and it only took 13 seconds, not being able to stop them in OT.  I was definatley mad after this game ended.

Josh and 2023 I feel we were let down by Beane and the coaching.  We had the entire off season to beef up at LB, CB, WR, and S positions.  All three of those positions were either old, slow, or paper thin talent wise and unreilable on game day.  We had no elite talent at WR#2 or #3,  and Dorsey was terrible at playcalling.  It was more like "Oh well" after this loss because we did nothing in the off season to address our main issues.

We had no real credible backups on this team at WR or LB when it mattered, also as a team the lack of speed at our WR positions is at the forefront, our WR's scare no one. We are one of the worst teams with YAC.  Our CB situation was not as bad but was still an issue.  Our backups performed okay but we were not the same after Milano, Tre and Benard went down due to injury.   Because we draft speed and small at LB they were never going to out physical any team in the playoffs.  We were never able to compete when the competition level increased, stuffing the run.  KC had a field day against our D in the Divisional round loss this year due to all the injuries,  and the lack of true Elite talent & speed at WR & LB also cost us this game too.

We have huge holes to fix this offseason and we have zero cap money to do it with.

Edited by Toyo321

15 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

I think most of us came out of 13 seconds with a lot of hope.

Sigh. Yep. Nailed it.

After 13 seconds, I was heartbroken... but I was also convinced that we were the best team in the NFL and a coin toss decided our fate. 

I was ready for the team to tear through the NFL the following year. There was massive amounts of hope.

This year... it's tough. We have an old roster, a lot of starters that are free agents, very little cap room, and three straight divisional round losses.

Harder to dig deep for that hope right now.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

No. The Bills had their chance and failed. Not a colossal blunder like 0:13, just plain old failure to execute. This version of KC is evenly matched with this years Bills, just took advantage of their opportunity. The game could easily have went either way in the final minutes. Thirteen seconds should just never happen.. ever. 

Agreed.  The Bills were outplayed this time. We got every conceivable break (recovered three of our own fumbles, got the fumble through the endzone by Hardman, and had almost every important call by the refs go our way) and we still couldn’t get it done.  The Chiefs averaged almost 8 yards per play, and we were below 5 YPP.  Not good enough.

• Like (+1) 1

This past loss to the Chiefs I was having a late night snack a couple hours after the game unbothered...the result had already washed off me.   There was no Mahomes magical ending, we had the ball at the end of the game and were in control of the result.  This game was on Buffalo and they blew it.

13 seconds was gutting and still hasn't washed off me.  That was our year.  We were supposed to beat the Chiefs in that game.  But with Coaches and lack of situational awareness by players,  it was blown in crunch time.  And to an extent KC was lucky because they won the coin toss in a game that the last team with the ball was gonna win.  

Edited by zow2

15 hours ago, BobBelcher said:

Yeah, I know, a couple weeks have passed, but that's partially the point.

"13 seconds" probably took me a full month to get over, particularly with Allen playing the perfect game, but still coming up short, etc.

This year, I thought I had digested the game after only a couple days; I thought it hurt exponentially less 

The difference is, with this year's loss to KC, even though I did not obsess over it the way I did in 2021, when I did think about it, it would hurt more... and more... and more... as time went on.

That's because as time passed, it became more evident that this was an even greater missed opportunity than 2021.

• We were at home against KC.
  • There was no Cincy in the playoffs.
  • We got uncharacteristic breaks during the game.  The Hardman fumble was something that never happened for the Bills.  
  • We were in the best position to do exactly what you'd think we would want to do after spending two years waiting to have this opportunity again(!!!) We were doing precisely what we must have learned from "13 seconds" which is kill the clock and give Mahomes as little time as possible if/when he ever does get the ball again.   8 minutes remaining when we start the drive at our own 25, and before you know it, had it down to 2 minutes left at the KC 26.  Diggs is running by himself wide open for an easy catch that would almost certainly continue this pace, but Shakir is open in the end zone too, and that's the decision Allen would make in that moment. Writing that out is painful.  Ugh.   Anyway, it's old news, right?  Yeah, and that's the point.  As it becomes increasingly clear that we missed an even bigger opportunity, thinking back on this game is associated with an increasingly sh*t feeling as well.
  • And then, once the Ravens lost with apparently the "same old Lamar" it was very clear to me.

This should have been the year of the "Berman Special" (SF vs Buffalo).

It's a strange feeling, because, unlike 2021, it is not something I necessarily dwell on, but when it does come up and I flash back to the dreadful  2nd and 9 play, I want to go punch a wall. 

It's also a strange feeling because, also unlike 2021, I am already looking forward to the next season with anticipation and excitement (in 2021, I wasn't ready yet, and I was turned off by all the hype and expectations for the Bills going into the year; I did not think it would help us at all). 

Anyway, the real question is where does Allen go from here?  How did Allen take this loss in comparison with years past?  Does this add more fuel to the fire (like we all hope) so he works his ass off wanting a Super Bowl more than ever?  Or does this have some cumulative effect where it becomes exhausting after a while, after telling himself, "We are going to get better from this" over and over, only to find himself right back to where he started at the end of the day?  I get the impression that Diggs feels something like this.  And I really hope Allen never gets to that point, because we need him to be as hungry as ever.    Side note...let's get him that young dynamic WR in 2024.  Anticipation of a "rebooted" young offense is what has me amped up already for 2024  (something I did not feel nearly as much after 2021).

Basically...from my "fan" perspective, I now know this year has made me want it even more because it ultimately hurts more and also served as a reminder that our playoff window is always open, unlike last season where we got smacked around for four quarters and went into the off-season looking like a broken team which had people not only betting on the window being closed, but predicting the 2023 Bills would miss the playoffs altogether.

I just hope the Bills feel the same.  And I hope they use that feeling to drive them next season.  The loss to Cincy seemed to have an unhealthy residual effect on the team, but I hope this latest loss to KC just pisses everyone off.   

No.  The defense was decimated with injury.  They played the Chiefs to the wire left-handed.  Buffalo still has 17 and will be right back in it next season with a chance to make a run.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.