2024 WR Draft Class

9 hours ago, ngbills said:

AD Mitchell vs Gabe Davis - Draft Profile Comps

Very similar size but Mitchell is much more athletic - faster, jump higher and farther, etc. 

40 Time - Mitchell 4.34 vs 4.54

10 yd split - Mitchell 1.52 vs 1.56

Vert Jump - Mitchell 39.5 vs 35

Broad Jump - 11'4 vs 10'4

Ht and Wt - Mitchell 6'2, 205 vs 6'2, 216

Hand - Mitchell 9 vs 9 1/4

Arm - Mitchell 32 3/8 vs 32 1/4

I love everything about Mitchell from athleticism to route running. The only question I have is why does he not show up in games as much as Worthy. Does he take plays off or is the QB just missing him? If he loves football and has that Odunze competitiveness I don’t see how he’s not a first round pick and a likely target of ours 

7 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

I love everything about Mitchell from athleticism to route running. The only question I have is why does he not show up in games as much as Worthy. Does he take plays off or is the QB just missing him? If he loves football and has that Odunze competitiveness I don’t see how he’s not a first round pick and a likely target of ours 

They both take a lot of plays off. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Interesting. Honest question I haven't watched anything but highlights, did they take plays off in the playoffs? Were they potentially doing it in college to preserve themselves for the pro pay day? Is that a thing?

Edited by MiracleAtRich1393

16 minutes ago, MiracleAtRich1393 said:

Interesting. Honest question I haven't watched anything but highlights, did they take plays off in the playoffs? Were they potentially doing it in college to preserve themselves for the pro pay day? Is that a thing?

The game this year against Washington is not in the All 22 database I have access to, but I did watch Mitchell when he played for Georgia in the playoffs and it was the same deal. Part of why I'm kinda skeptical that he was coached to do that at Texas. He was doing it at Georgia while McConkey for example played his ass off.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

The game this year against Washington is not in the All 22 database I have access to, but I did watch Mitchell when he played for Georgia in the playoffs and it was the same deal. Part of why I'm kinda skeptical that he was coached to do that at Texas. He was doing it at Georgia while McConkey for example played his ass off.

That is the ONLY thing that worries me about him. He’s a special talent but you can’t teach that Odunze drive. I honestly think 10 years from now we’ll be talking about Odunze over even Harrison because of that dawg trait…so many great WR options in this class. Hopeful Beane makes the right choice early and often this year 

2 hours ago, DJB said:

It’s sImply coaching with Worthy and Mitchell. Both can be coached up to work hard on every snap

It’s possible but I’m not sure I buy that, especially considering Mitchell already played for one of the best coaches in the country/one of the biggest hardasses and still loafs around. Ultimately it’s up to Buffalo to try to figure that out in their interviews but actions speak louder than words. I wouldn’t blame them for taking the chance on one of them. Just isn’t a risk I’d be willing to take in the first round personally. I think once you get past the top 4 WRs, they all have either serious red flags or are perceived to be relatively low ceiling options, so we'll have to take a risk on something. Efforts a tough one for me though.

Edited by DCOrange

Just now, DCOrange said:

It’s possible but I’m not sure I buy that, especially considering Mitchell already played for one of the best coaches in the country/one of the biggest hardasses and still loafs around. Ultimately it’s up to Buffalo to try to figure that out in their interviews but actions speak louder than words. 

You could be right and it also could be a maturity issue as well. Of course I’d rather have a guy that busts his tail every play. 

Even Diggs lately hasn’t been up to snuff in terms of effort on every snap either . 

Going to keep banging the Worthy drum. The more I watch, the more I see how complete his game has been throughout college working with different QBs against top competition. Wins all over the field with not just speed but also incredible route running and even some nice contested catches. The below video is worth a watch. Love his hustle at a little after 17 minutes to recover a fumble after his CB intercepted an underthrown ball. (Also, I think Jordan Whittington, the guy who caused that fumble and was Texas’ third WR option, is a decent mid-to-late-round prospect. Reminds me of a bigger Shakir.) 

Edit: Also beginning to like Tahj Washington out of USC. Anyone have opinions on him?

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks
  • Like (+1) 1

I should add that I think including 2018 would mean adding DK Metcalf to the list, so it's not impossible to be good despite this. And even then, 2018-2023 isn't exactly a huge sample.

Edited by DCOrange

16 hours ago, Dan in Owego said:

More from 89, some interesting takes from scouts at the combine.

The question about the 14 min mark... He just nails it. And it's great to hear someone of his caliber admit it... B-)

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

This is gonna aggravate some folks.  YPRR is a solid indicator on how a WR is going to transition to the NFL. <2 YPRR is bad and doesn't translate well regardless of Combine testing. 

7 hours ago, DJB said:

It’s sImply coaching with Worthy and Mitchell. Both can be coached up to work hard on every snap

I don't know. How do you get that habit out of them?  It goes back to "how will they act once they get Paid"?

11 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Wait… We are saying Gauntlet speed is a better indicator than the 40?  This is just talking yourself into something.  In game GPS speed you got my attention.  Position drills at the combine I’am out on.   

14 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Watched one of those Buffalo podcasts yesterday (I think cover1) and someone said that was common in their offense (he was talking about Mitchell) because their plays often went to one side of the field.

Can you please provide more details about what you’ve seen with Worthy taking plays off?

Edit: I urge people concerned about his work ethic to watch Worthy’s recovered fumble play from the video I noted in my above post. 

9 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

These Cover 1 kids give me way more insight than any Bills beat reporter. Interesting that they like Mitchell and Legette a lot. They acknowledge Mitchell's apparently lazy route running as "vibing" on routes. His interview with the Bills should be interesting.

But why do I feel like they are addicted to Dungeons and Dragons? Never saw this new guy before but he looks it too.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Wait… We are saying Gauntlet speed is a better indicator than the 40?  This is just talking yourself into something.  In game GPS speed you got my attention.  Position drills at the combine I’am out on.   

The gauntlet is much more representative of "in game GPS speed," don't you think?  Coleman and McConkey were 2 of the best performers in that drill.

Let's also remember that Puka Nakua's 40 time last year was 4.57 and Kyren Williams' 40 time 2 years ago was a 4.65.

Both of those guys were studs for the Rams.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

These Cover 1 kids give me way more insight than any Bills beat reporter. Interesting that they like Mitchell and Legette a lot. They acknowledge Mitchell's apparently lazy route running as "vibing" on routes. His interview with the Bills should be interesting.

But why do I feel like they are addicted to Dungeons and Dragons? Never saw this new guy before but he looks it too.

Can’t be lazy with Josh. You might be the 4th option and all of a sudden the ball hits you in the helmet. Play every snap like you’re getting the ball when playing with Josh.

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Can’t be lazy with Josh. You might be the 4th option and all of a sudden the ball hits you in the helmet. Play every snap like you’re getting the ball when playing with Josh.

Yeah, I totally get this. I haven't studied his tape and I don't know if the "lazy" tag is accurate or not.

If so, it's a big red flag. I read in a combine interview that he likes to "vary" the speed of his routes:

"I never run routes full speed," said Mitchell during Friday's press conference. "That's just a part of my game that allows me to run routes for the whole drive and mostly just feel like I'm in control.

I'd like to know if the root of this, no pun intended, is laziness or something else.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The gauntlet is much more representative of "in game GPS speed," don't you think?  Coleman and McConkey were 2 of the best performers in that drill.

Let's also remember that Puka Nakua's 40 time last year was 4.57 and Kyren Williams' 40 time 2 years ago was a 4.65.

Both of those guys were studs for the Rams.

Steve Smith said it best. 40 time is an accessory. I’ve always believed 4.5’s was the target range. 40 time never makes the decision for me. Game speed is much more important.

That said Coleman cant separate. He’s going to have to be a contested catch monster in the NFL. I think he will be.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The one thing I like to look for in the scouting reports is: finds a spot and makes himself available to the QB.

1 minute ago, nosejob said:

The one thing I like to look for in the scouting reports is: finds a spot and makes himself available to the QB.

The one thing Gabe Davis did very well. Open up for Josh when things break down. I called him a “Scramble drill WR”. 

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Watched one of those Buffalo podcasts yesterday (I think cover1) and someone said that was common in their offense (he was talking about Mitchell) because their plays often went to one side of the field.

Can you please provide more details about what you’ve seen with Worthy taking plays off?

Edit: I urge people concerned about his work ethic to watch Worthy’s recovered fumble play from the video I noted in my above post. 

It's the same deal as Mitchell. They both just flat out don't run their routes an alarming amount of the time, cut routes off early, give zero effort blocking, etc. And it isn't just when the plays are being run to the other side of the field. This is obviously bad just in general, but it's especially bad to pair that up with a QB like Allen who extends plays and tries to find guys to throw the ball to on the run.

Edited by DCOrange

11 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Yeah, I totally get this. I haven't studied his tape and I don't know if the "lazy" tag is accurate or not.

If so, it's a big red flag. I read in a combine interview that he likes to "vary" the speed of his routes:

"I never run routes full speed," said Mitchell during Friday's press conference. "That's just a part of my game that allows me to run routes for the whole drive and mostly just feel like I'm in control.

I'd like to know if the root of this, no pun intended, is laziness or something else.

Maybe a chess move, lulling DBs into complacency? Just thinking outside the bun here

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Going to keep banging the Worthy drum. The more I watch, the more I see how complete his game has been throughout college working with different QBs against top competition. Wins all over the field with not just speed but also incredible route running and even some nice contested catches. The below video is worth a watch. Love his hustle at a little after 17 minutes to recover a fumble after his CB intercepted an underthrown ball. (Also, I think Jordan Whittington, the guy who caused that fumble and was Texas’ third WR option, is a decent mid-to-late-round prospect. Reminds me of a bigger Shakir.) 

Edit: Also beginning to like Tahj Washington out of USC. Anyone have opinions on him?

Worthy looks fast, but in these highlights I didn't get the feeling he looked Tyreek Hill fast. Maybe Hill’s agility/quickness is better which makes him look faster.

16 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

It's the same deal as Mitchell. They both just flat out don't run their routes an alarming amount of the time, cut routes off early, give zero effort blocking, etc. And it isn't just when the plays are being run to the other side of the field. This is obviously bad just in general, but it's especially bad to pair that up with a QB like Allen who extends plays and tries to find guys to throw the ball to on the run.

Thanks, can you please point me toward where you saw these plays being taken off? Would like to watch them.

2 minutes ago, Brand J said:

Worthy looks fast, but in these highlights I didn't get the feeling he looked Tyreek Hill fast. Maybe Hill’s agility/quickness is better which makes him look faster.

Really? He is wide open on a lot of them and on a few others just turns the corner around defenders. I think what I like about Worthy is his ability to decelerate, which I think is what also makes Hill so dangerous.

So I'm not saying I'm an advocate for drafting Keon Coleman in the 1st or anything, but I think way too much is being made of his 40 time at the Combine.  

I realize all I'm going by is highlights, but his play speed looks plenty fine to me.

First play at 18 seconds shows him plenty fast and elusive enough.

Play at 1:51 looks like a guy with more agility and route running than Gabe.

The next play (that you see from the All-22 at 2:10) shows pretty good route running ability along with the speed to separate from the defender.

At 2:41 you see him used in a Bubble Screen with enough speed and agility to get away from the defender and get into the EZ.

Watch his Punt return at 3:00 and tell me that a guy at that size returning a punt like that isn't impressive.

Another effective Bubble Screen at 1:03

Effective WR screen behind the LOS at 1:30

I'm going to stop there.

I've been listening to a lot of sports podcasts lately that aren't just Bills ones.  Move the Sticks with Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks.  First Draft with Field Yates and Mel Kiper Jr.  The Athletic Football Podcast with Nate Tice and (sometimes) Dane Brugler.

What you hear a lot about the scouting process is the phrase "grade the flashes."  Basically, grade those players in their best moments.

Keon Coleman in his best moments looks like a 1st round WR, to me.

All that said, I do think his draft stock is down after the 40 time, so if we drafted Coleman, what I'd like to see us do is actually trade DOWN into the top of the 2nd and acquire more draft picks and use those other draft picks to slingshot up for more picks in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round because there's supposed to be a significant drop off in talent after the middle rounds.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Really? He is wide open on a lot of them and on a few others just turns the corner around defenders. I think what I like about Worthy is his ability to decelerate, which I think is what also makes Hill so dangerous.

I’m all for the pick if Beane decides to go with Worthy. I feel like we’ve been chasing that type of player for awhile with Smoke, Sanders, Stevenson, McKenzie, and Harty. At this point I feel like it’s probably one of Worthy, Legette, or Franklin (even if I didn’t like his combine measurements/performance). Mitchell and Thomas Jr will most likely be gone. 

11 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

So I'm not saying I'm an advocate for drafting Keon Coleman in the 1st or anything, but I think way too much is being made of his 40 time at the Combine.  

I realize all I'm going by is highlights, but his play speed looks plenty fine to me.

First play at 18 seconds shows him plenty fast and elusive enough.

Play at 1:51 looks like a guy with more agility and route running than Gabe.

The next play (that you see from the All-22 at 2:10) shows pretty good route running ability along with the speed to separate from the defender.

At 2:41 you see him used in a Bubble Screen with enough speed and agility to get away from the defender and get into the EZ.

Watch his Punt return at 3:00 and tell me that a guy at that size returning a punt like that isn't impressive.

Another effective Bubble Screen at 1:03

Effective WR screen behind the LOS at 1:30

I'm going to stop there.

I've been listening to a lot of sports podcasts lately that aren't just Bills ones.  Move the Sticks with Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks.  First Draft with Field Yates and Mel Kiper Jr.  The Athletic Football Podcast with Nate Tice and (sometimes) Dane Brugler.

What you hear a lot about the scouting process is the phrase "grade the flashes."  Basically, grade those players in their best moments.

Keon Coleman in his best moments looks like a 1st round WR, to me.

All that said, I do think his draft stock is down after the 40 time, so if we drafted Coleman, what I'd like to see us do is actually trade DOWN into the top of the 2nd and acquire more draft picks and use those other draft picks to slingshot up for more picks in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round because there's supposed to be a significant drop off in talent after the middle rounds.

I didn’t know Coleman played D1 college basketball, so right away he’s more likely to have better hands and body control than other receivers his size. That said, I can’t see him at 28, but agree with you for a trade down and picking him in the 2nd if it comes to that. If only we had a crystal ball, or access to a time traveler to tell us which receivers will pan out from this draft.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/5/2024 at 12:25 PM, ngbills said:

Very similar size but Mitchell is much more athletic - faster, jump higher and farther, etc. 

Add Mitchell has better hands.

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

You would literally have to have intimate knowledge on the way they are coached nowadays individually to properly determine if it's true or not that a player is taking downs off because some coaches are coaching them to do it in order to preserve energy for the next down. They know when the ball is not coming to them. And if that's the case it's the easiest thing in the world to fix. You just tell them that's not the way we do it around here and here is why... Then you point to #17... B-)

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Brand J said:

I didn’t know Coleman played D1 college basketball, so right away he’s more likely to have better hands and body control than other receivers his size. That said, I can’t see him at 28, but agree with you for a trade down and picking him in the 2nd if it comes to that. If only we had a crystal ball, or access to a time traveler to tell us which receivers will pan out from this draft.

There is also a financial component to taking Coleman in the 1st round if you're willing to trade down to the top of the 2nd to get him that Beane might be considering.  That 5th year option for a WR might matter here.

37 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

You would literally have to have intimate knowledge on the way they are coached nowadays individually to properly determine if it's true or not that a player is taking downs off because some coaches are coaching them to do it in order to preserve energy for the next down. They know when the ball is not coming to them. And if that's the case it's the easiest thing in the world to fix. You just tell them that's not the way we do it around here and here is why... Then you point to #17... B-)

Yeah that’s what I think it was cover1’s podcast was discussing. Again, it was re: Mitchell though not Worthy. And I’m not sure if it was because a coach said to or just because the way their plays are called he “knew” he did not need to do anything being so far from the play. I know Mitchell said he does not always run routes full speed, but not sure if this came indirectly from him, too.

But yes really easy fix!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brand J said:

I’m all for the pick if Beane decides to go with Worthy. I feel like we’ve been chasing that type of player for awhile with Smoke, Sanders, Stevenson, McKenzie, and Harty. At this point I feel like it’s probably one of Worthy, Legette, or Franklin (even if I didn’t like his combine measurements/performance). Mitchell and Thomas Jr will most likely be gone. 

This! And I think he would be better than any of them in that role.

thread is a good read on Legette’s history.  
He’s worked hard to get to this point.  
Both his parents passed away years ago.  

guy seems he’d be real easy to root for!

also,  “XL”  his initials is a fantastic nickname for this beast.

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Awesome! (+1) 2