Bills interviewing Sean Desai for DC

Process

I don't know much about this guy, but I do know the eagles defense was hot garbage all this season

edit: this could actually be a sign they are promoting Babich, as this would be a necessary step

Edited by Process
  • Vomit 4
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Desai was scapegoated in Philly, but doesn’t have an extensive body of work. He has however worked under some interesting guys including John Fox, Vic Fangio, Mike Pettine etc. The one thing I will say is he is an interesting guy you can freely add to the staff if he doesn’t become the DC. Others have mentioned, what is most significant here is that they are doing DC interviews. I hope that means they promote Babich. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo619 said:

Is McShottenheimer going to be our dc again next year? Another year of bone headed blunders and bad management at head coach? Find a capable dc and oc Sean. Wth are you doing ?

He’s obsessed with promoting internally

• Agree 2

Interesting coaching history. Has 2 seasons as a ST Coordinator on the college level. Has coached OLBers, Safeties and...running backs. 

Seems like a guy that may have a lot of knowledge. Jack of all trades master of none.  But still could add value to the staff in some capacity. 

As some have said, strong sign that a Babich promotion is incoming...but bigger news here is that Sean is seemingly willing to hire a DC. Have to wonder if he will still call plays or if he steps back to just the HC role. Should be pretty interesting 

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I mean, there’s merit to that strategy and it isn’t necessarily a bad thing. He also made a move to fire the last guy he promoted internally when it was clear it wasn’t working 

I agree, there is merit especially when you have an organization that has been stable and is winning. It's great for continuity and motivation for the other guys on the staff to see that hard work pays off.

On the other hand, there is something to be said for getting fresh eyes, ideas and concepts into an organization. Let's a team evolve and become less and less predictable.

There should be a fair mix of both IMO. 

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Desai was scapegoated in Philly, but doesn’t have an extensive body of work. He has however worked under some interesting guys including John Fox, Vic Fangio, Mike Pettine etc. The one thing I will say is he is an interesting guy you can freely add to the staff if he doesn’t become the DC. Others have mentioned, what is most significant here is that they are doing DC interviews. I hope that means they promote Babich. 

In addition to satisfying the Rooney Rule in order to promote Babich, this is probably some due diligence in the event Desai doesn't get another DC job.

He could come here to rebuild his value a bit like Joe Brady did. 

1 minute ago, somnus00 said:

The fact that they're even interviewing means McDermott is likely giving up the DC gig.

That was my question. Which, if true is surprising Imo. I feel like McDermott probably loves calling the defense 

2 hours ago, MWK said:

He’s obsessed with promoting internally

Yes, he is, and it's part of his philosophy.   It's his continuous improvement, life-long learner, growth-mindset philosophy.  It makes a lot of sense.   Under his approach, he believes everyone will get better at their job every year.  When you bring in someone from the outside, you have get him to speed on all the institutional knowledge the team has.  When you promote guys, you don't have to do that - they're already up to speed.  And who are the guys getting promoted?  They're guys who do their jobs with that philosophy.    McDermott believes the institutional knowledge continues to accumulate and grow so long as you have a lot of people who learn it and live it.   McDermott believes that when you have a healthy system like that, the team actually does get better every year, even though the personnel changes.   I've never really thought about it, but I think that's what Reid has going KC.  It's the thing that makes KC always seem like they're a step ahead of everyone.  Belichick did it, too.  Next man up, from within if possible.  

So, yeah, he is obsessed with it.  It's core principle in his organization.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yes, he is, and it's part of his philosophy.   It's his continuous improvement, life-long learner, growth-mindset philosophy.  It makes a lot of sense.   Under his approach, he believes everyone will get better at their job every year.  When you bring in someone from the outside, you have get him to speed on all the institutional knowledge the team has.  When you promote guys, you don't have to do that - they're already up to speed.  And who are the guys getting promoted?  They're guys who do their jobs with that philosophy.    McDermott believes the institutional knowledge continues to accumulate and grow so long as you have a lot of people who learn it and live it.   McDermott believes that when you have a healthy system like that, the team actually does get better every year, even though the personnel changes.   I've never really thought about it, but I think that's what Reid has going KC.  It's the thing that makes KC always seem like they're a step ahead of everyone.  Belichick did it, too.  Next man up, from within if possible.  

So, yeah, he is obsessed with it.  It's core principle in his organization.  

In a team environment… not all growth can come from self growth … outside ideas and influence are essential in my opinion 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.