Where do you stand on the death penalty?

Eye for an eye.  You kill and get caught.  You die.  In fact, I can think of at least 20 lesser crimes that should be punishable by death.  What a mess.  

• Like (+1) 1

I think it's cruel and unusual punishment.

On the other hand, I support one's choice to end their own life via euthanasia, including criminals with life sentences.  

Edited by Capco
  • Like (+1) 1

We don’t do it enough. 

japan does it better though. They never tell the person their execution date until they take them to be executed. Therefore any time the door opens it could be their time. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I definitely am ok with the death penalty in cases of people whose very existence is a threat to society but do not feel I could be on the jury that does it. It needs to be someone whose actions were well thought and intentionally horrible not someone who is a reactive situation. 

People are pushing for "at birth" abortions, and we are struggling with the death penalty.  

Just think about that for a second.

Personally, I'm good with the death penalty and would like to see the appeals limited to less than 10 years.

There should be multiple capital crimes that are punishable by death. If a jury of 12 decides it, it should be carried out without much delay. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LeviF said:

There should be multiple capital crimes that are punishable by death. If a jury of 12 decides it, it should be carried out without much delay. 

Do you believe juries to be infallible?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Precision said:

People are pushing for "at birth" abortions,

GTFOH - no one is pushing for murder your fn bich.

13 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Only the ones sitting on a Trump trial. Duh 

10 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

No. But that doesn’t complete the leap to “the death penalty is immoral” like lots of people seem to think. 

I don't agree with murder no matter who does it. I do enjoy other forms of punishment, however. In Singapore they beat you with a cain. I also enjoy work camps instead of a vacation in a jail cell. Implement those and watch the crime rates plummet

18 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

I don't agree with murder no matter who does it. I do enjoy other forms of punishment, however. In Singapore they beat you with a cain. I also enjoy work camps instead of a vacation in a jail cell. Implement those and watch the crime rates plummet

Crime rate won't be dented by that at all. 

2 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Let's try it and find out. Singapore has one of the lowest crime rates in the entire world

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/travel/web-stories/countries-with-lowest-crime-rates/photostory/104526748.cms

why does the us have a high crime rate? what part of the population here commit 52 percent of the murders but are 13 percent of the population? 

you often here the lefties describe the safer countries on the list and then get all flustered when you ask them what those countries have in common. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This has always been an interesting debate for me…I appreciate answers on both sides…But I just can’t seem to come to a conclusion on what I prefer…

Some people do deserve to die, and some are wrongly convicted…So, I just say that I leave it up to the states and federal government to decide what they wanna do…Whatever the decision I’m ok with…

PS…I withhold the right to evolve my answer over time…😉

• Like (+1) 2

Remember: you can’t take any talk about “deterrence” by leftists seriously because they are, practically speaking, against any punishment at all. 

The point of punishment is not deterrence. The point of punishment is to forcibly reform someone in the case of petty crime or forcibly remove someone in the case of major crime for the sake of society at large. 

• Disagree 1

6 hours ago, LeviF said:

Remember: you can’t take any talk about “deterrence” by leftists seriously because they are, practically speaking, against any punishment at all. 

The point of punishment is not deterrence. The point of punishment is to forcibly reform someone in the case of petty crime or forcibly remove someone in the case of major crime for the sake of society at large. 

Deterrence, reform, and removal are not mutually exclusive of each other. 

Punishment is absolutely a deterrence.  I didn't commit half a dozen crimes this week alone because I didn't want to be punished.  

1 minute ago, Capco said:

Punishment is absolutely a deterrence.  I didn't commit half a dozen crimes this week alone because I didn't want to be punished.  

Most definitely, for a large percentage of the population.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Capco said:

It can be a deterrent, but that’s not the point. 

The average IQ of the prison population is around 90. Not far below that is the threshold at which you can actually understand second-order consequences. I would guess that punishment is a deterrent for you because you understand that one of the natural consequences of habitual crime-committing is punishment. A very large segment of our population can’t make that connection in their mind:

On 4/12/2023 at 3:59 PM, LeviF said:

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/news/st-louis-man-gets-life-for-fatal-car-crash-some-say-race-played-a-factor-39834514

An exemplar of why you should ignore any arguments from progressives on reducing criminal penalties that reference "deterrence." 

Once convicted of a crime involving egregiously gross disregard for human life and the commission of multiple felonies, surely you, the normal person, would be contrite and understand that you had deeply violated the social contract, no?

If he can't even wrap his head around a basic understanding of what he's done, what "deterrent" do you think will work on him?

7 hours ago, LeviF said:

no. we definitely want to "deter" the Jan 6 insurrectionists.  $83 mil seems a pretty decent deterrent as well.  That's the message the jury was sending.

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever
  • Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, LeviF said:

nice try.  now show me where I actually said that....but yes, all of my friends are decent people as far as I know.  being shown a criminal would destroy them, as it should.  you wouldn't know.  seems you've got little to lose.  and there we have the MAGA base in a nutshell....I'm selling beer, wine and water at a fundraiser for children's initiatives tonight.  What are you doing?  burning books?

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, Joe Ferguson forever said:

nice try.  now show me where I actually said that....but yes, all of my friends are decent people as far as I know.  being shown a criminal would destroy them, as it should.

You did say that, just not out in the open because you’re neither honest nor introspective enough to do so.

You want punishment for your political enemies, the vast majority of which were never charged with even a felony, but for the entire segment of the population with an average IQ of 85 and well over half of the nation’s violent crime it’s more gibs and “reform” of the CJ system.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LeviF said:

You did say that, just not out in the open because you’re neither honest nor introspective enough to do so.

You want punishment for your political enemies, the vast majority of which were never charged with even a felony, but for the entire segment of the population with an average IQ of 85 and well over half of the nation’s violent crime it’s more gibs and “reform” of the CJ system.

why r u so angry?  let's move on to hunter...I want him prosecuted.  I want justice to be blind.  You're the one who wants it blinded by a conman, mobster.  how's law school going?  I don't see orange man picking you for his team. the sedimentary layers remain unchanged despite trump.  perhaps you can help with the trump youth movement.  Oh wait, Charlie Kirk has that job....

• Eyeroll 1

My mind changed after watching My Cousin Vinny.  If it wasn't for Joe Pesci those two kids would've gotten the death penalty despite being innocent.  I remember some study saying around 200 people were later proven innocent after receiving the death penalty since the early 70's.  Whoops.  Why give the truly evil the death penalty when they can rot away in prison the rest of their life?

23 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

why r u so angry?  let's move on to hunter...I want him prosecuted.  I want justice to be blind.  You're the one who wants it blinded by a conman, mobster.  how's law school going?  I don't see orange man picking you for his team. the sedimentary layers remain unchanged despite trump.  perhaps you can help with the trump youth movement.  Oh wait, Charlie Kirk has that job....

No anger. That’s just my assessment of you based on the limited part of yourself you show here. 

That’s the second time you’ve asked me that and I don’t know where the idea comes from. And again, my complaints about Trump are well documented here, including his actual decisions around this very topic whilst in office. Engage with the actual topic or buzz off. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

nice try.  now show me where I actually said that....but yes, all of my friends are decent people as far as I know.  being shown a criminal would destroy them, as it should.  you wouldn't know.  seems you've got little to lose.  and there we have the MAGA base in a nutshell....I'm selling beer, wine and water at a fundraiser for children's initiatives tonight.  What are you doing?  burning books?

You seem a little untethered to be working a fundraiser. Are you supposed to be drinking? One more question - why did you lie about going to school with Susan Collins? That’s just weird. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, LeviF said:

No anger. That’s just my assessment of you based on the limited part of yourself you show here. 

That’s the second time you’ve asked me that and I don’t know where the idea comes from. And again, my complaints about Trump are well documented here, including his actual decisions around this very topic whilst in office. Engage with the actual topic or buzz off. 

did u not mention law schools and rankings?  why the interest?

9 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

You seem a little untethered to be working a fundraiser. Are you supposed to be drinking? One more question - why did you lie about going to school with Susan Collins? That’s just weird. 

Susan Collins went to St Lawrence with me as did many Mainers (tough, resourceful, practical people in my experience).  Ask fellow Larry, Ten High...

4 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Susan Collins went to St Lawrence with me as did many Mainers.  Ask fellow Larry, Ten High...

She left there when you were 14-15. Doubling down is an interesting choice. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

Should you be left to your own devices?

3 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

She left there when you were 14-15. Doubling down is an interesting choice. 

'It's a tight network.  by design.  ask ten high...year of graduation is not a barrier.

18 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

My interest in law school passed well over a decade ago, but the information is publicly available. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

It's a tight network.  by design.  ask ten high...year of graduation is not a barrier.

Since the thread has lost steam can we go back to your claim that you went to school with Susan Collins? You quite obviously did not as she left campus in 1975 when you were most likely 14yo based on your latest claims. I will grant you the tight network claim. Is there a +/- on how many years away from your years of attendance that you can still claim that you went to school with someone when all you really did was attend the same school years apart? For instance, are you able to say that you went to school with Kirk Douglas? Grace Potter? Seems like a very weird lie to tell for someone presenting themselves as honest to a fault. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, JDHillFan said:

Since the thread has lost steam can we go back to your claim that you went to school with Susan Collins? You quite obviously did not as she left campus in 1975 when you were most likely 14yo based on your latest claims. I will grant you the tight network claim. Is there a +/- on how many years away from your years of attendance that you can still claim that you went to school with someone when all you really did was attend the same school years apart? For instance, are you able to say that you went to school with Kirk Douglas? Grace Potter? Seems like a very weird lie to tell for someone presenting themselves as honest to a fault. 

He's taking his cues from Joke...

• Like (+1) 1