Is the #2 WR already on this team?

Now that the dust has settled, I’ve really looked at the statistical production of some of our guys. 

I knew Shakir had a good year, then I really looked at his production. 

He had a PHENOMENAL year. 

39 catches and 2 TDs are decent numbers for a ‘#3 WR,’ but can we talk about his 86% catch rate? That is outstanding. Caught 10 of 12 in the playoffs for 2 more TDs as well. 

282 Yards after catch? Love it.

15+ yards per reception.

133 QBR when targeted.

Ready for this?

45 targets. Zero interceptions when Allen looked his way. 

57 targets when you add in the postseason. Still zero INTS.

Fifty Seven targets. Zero drops. Zero. ZERO. Bills were in the bottom of the drop statistic this season. 

I don’t think Shakir should come off the field. He’s the slot WR and should be the #2 WR target. 

I’d love data on if he lined up outside when the team went to 2 WR sets after Gabe’s injury, or if he came off the field. 

Shakir has shown BIG TIME potential, and it’s the little things that hint to it.

Thoughts?

🦬

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Dislike 2

His role should definitely be expanded, but it's hard to just stretch that out assuming that if he was targeted that much more often nothing would change. You become that much more of a focused weapon on the team and other teams are going to focus on taking you away. Him and Kincaid will need an expanded role in the offense and they need to address the position in the offseason.

• Like (+1) 4

He needs to be amazing WR3 and then this offense combined with OL we had this year and KingCaid as TE1 will be best we ever had.

Just draft WR round 1 this year and hit on him.

But agreed, Shakir was great especially second half of the season. Love that guy.

• Like (+1) 3

Shakir is our slot receiver that can line up outside on occasion. 

The team needs a burner with great hands to challenge the defense down the field on a consistent basis. 

That receiver is currently not on the team.  We should be able to draft one in the first round this year.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3

This would be Josh Reed becoming the number 2 after Price left. Shakir could put up really good numbers next year but he doesn’t have the attributes to threaten a defense enough as a number 2. He would get clamped on the outside by most corners. Hes absolutely perfect in his role. Let’s get a legit threat in the draft.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 9
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

His role should definitely be expanded, but it's hard to just stretch that out assuming that if he was targeted that much more often nothing would change. You become that much more of a focused weapon on the team and other teams are going to focus on taking you away. Him and Kincaid will need an expanded role in the offense and they need to address the position in the offseason.

Definitely, we saw it with Gabe. Showed flashes, but couldn’t step up with an increased role. 

It’s nice to see the areas that we needed Davis to step up in (catch rate, drops, INTs when targeted) are Shakirs best qualities.

If the Bills wheeled him out on 2 WR sets opposite of Diggs, I wouldn’t be shocked if a WR someplace between Sherfield and Davis was brought in that could challenge the defenses vertically. 

If Sherfield showed better hands, I would’ve said he was a shoe in that role in 2024. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

He has the makings of a star slot receiver.  We still need a 1A/B to push Diggs down to 1/B or 2. 

Exactly. He's the Beasley replacement. Diggs is the Brown/Sanders replacement. Still one missing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This would be Josh Reed becoming the number 2 after Price left. Shakir could put up really good numbers next year but he doesn’t have the attributes to threaten a defense enough as a number 2. He would get clamped on the outside by most corners. Hes absolutely perfect in his role. Let’s get a legit threat in the draft.

There is no comparison between Josh Reed and Shakir. Reed was a very limited WR physically and never hit 600 yards in a season, never caught more than 71% of his passes. 

I get what you’re trying to say though. Shakir’s ceiling remains to be seen, but it could be higher than we all anticipated. 

At the very least Shakir should be the starting slot WR next year and Allen’s 3rd passing option. 

10 minutes ago, transient said:

Exactly. He's the Beasley replacement. Diggs is the Brown/Sanders replacement. Still one missing.

Beasley was the #2 WR on the team, the slot WR can be the #2. 

Who ever takes Gabe’s spot on the field is probably the 4th option next year. 

**Edit**

And I would love that 4th option to be a WR drafted to eventually replace Mr Diggs. 

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy

20 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Now that the dust has settled, I’ve really looked at the statistical production of some of our guys. 

I knew Shakir had a good year, then I really looked at his production. 

He had a PHENOMENAL year. 

39 catches and 2 TDs are decent numbers for a ‘#3 WR,’ but can we talk about his 86% catch rate? That is outstanding. Caught 10 of 12 in the playoffs for 2 more TDs as well. 

282 Yards after catch? Love it.

15+ yards per reception.

133 QBR when targeted.

Ready for this?

45 targets. Zero interceptions when Allen looked his way. 

57 targets when you add in the postseason. Still zero INTS.

Fifty Seven targets. Zero drops. Zero. ZERO. Bills were in the bottom of the drop statistic this season. 

I don’t think Shakir should come off the field. He’s the slot WR and should be the #2 WR target. 

I’d love data on if he lined up outside when the team went to 2 WR sets after Gabe’s injury, or if he came off the field. 

Shakir has shown BIG TIME potential, and it’s the little things that hint to it.

Thoughts?

🦬

I’ve been saying this…but hopefully the stats here will start making people listen

Good post, and yes our #2 target is already on this team between him and Kincaid.

People don’t understand the difference between WR2 and the #2 WR.  

WR2 is a boundary WR, but they doesn’t mean he has to be your second best or most targeted WR.

Hill was #1 WR in KC but Kelce a TE was their #2.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Beasley was the #2 WR on the team, the slot WR can be the #2. 

Who ever takes Gabe’s spot on the field is probably the 4th option next year. 

So Shakir as WR2 and Diggs as WR3? That has locker room distraction written all over it...

In general, I get and agree with your point, though.

Keeping Shakir in the slot option as his primary seems the correct role atm and next year some expanded roles possibly on the outside. I deally the new outside guy would be a rookie and then a vet in the lower pay range.

I do not think this should stop the Bills looking at WR as their top priority.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.