Mr. Pegula please read Tyler Dunne’s newest article

9 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

Yea, Jerry Jones is a terrible basis for an opinion that we need a more vocal owner...  You mean the guy whose team is an even bigger disappointment than the Bills?  Who actually have WR talent and still aren't winning playoff games?  And who hasn't dont anything in the last 25 years as owner?  Yea, not really thinking that's who you hang your argument on

Most successful NFL teams have owners who stay in the background and let the football guys run the show. This is true for all four of the teams in the championship games and really for all 8 teams that played in the Divisional Round save for perhaps the Bucs. But people like owners like Jerry Jones, Steven Ross, and Jim Irsay because they "do something." 

As I have said before, I would fire McDermott if I was the owner. Not for all of the BS reasons that people on here gripe about, but because I believe that coaches have a lifecycle if a team is not winning championships. Larry Bird, when he coached the Pacers, said that after 5 years that a team stops listening to a coach. So you either have to get a new coach or new players and it's a lot easier to fire one guy than get a new roster.

Edit: Larry Bird had a 3-year rule, not 5: https://www.basketballnetwork.net/old-school/larry-bird-didnt-want-coaches-to-stay-in-the-organization-for-more-than-three-years-if-they-werent-winning

Edited by Low Positive
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

As I have said before, I would fire McDermott if I was the owner. Not for all of the BS reasons that people on here gripe about, but because I believe that coaches have a lifecycle if a team is not winning championships. Larry Bird, when he coached the Pacers, said that after 5 years that a team stops listening to a coach. So you either have to get a new coach or new players and it's a lot easier to fire one guy than get a new roster.

We are looking for a coach to take the team over the hump. If a proven coach is not available, you stick with McD. Because choosing an upcoming HC can back fire and the team can get worse. By the time that happens, another 25% of Allen's career would be gone. 

1 minute ago, Low Positive said:

Most successful NFL teams have owners who stay in the background and let the football guys run the show. This is true for all four of the teams in the championship games and really for all 8 teams that played in the Divisional Round save for perhaps the Bucs. But people like owners like Jerry Jones, Steven Ross, and Jim Irsay because they "do something." 

My honest opinion - I understand why some would want  McD to be fired.  While I agree that most coaches have a lifespan, and at a certain point you lose the room's FULL attention, I think McD just hasn't had an honest shot in the playoffs over the past 2 seasons to implement the defense he wanted.  I'm willing to give another year to see if it can come together with Milano/White/Douglas/Oliver/Miller/Bernard/Benford

But for people to talk about how he is neutering Allen, or how people make excuses because they have drought brain... I think that's just BS to sell clicks to an agonized fan base

14 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

https://www.golongtd.com/p/the-buffalo-bills-have-a-decision

Tyler Dunne is spot on. Great article I don’t understand how at the very least we couldn’t have told Sean McDermott hey we’re going to explore other options at head coach in the next few weeks. We are not firing you unless we find someone we think will maximize Josh Allens talents and get us to a Super Bowl more than you can.

It’s an off-season that has Hall of Fame coaches just sitting there for the taking. Why not at least check it out.  What’s the worst that happens if we do that? McD gets pissy and resigns. Well thank God for that. 

Still ? After what McD & Beane just did as a coach & GM in tandem kept the team together and getting the players to fill holes to go on a run to win 6 in a row you people are unbelievable ungrateful for what it took just to get to the play offs this year ... 

I just watched the Kelsey brothers pod cast they were giving the Bills HUGE praise & respect on how good they were despite all the injuries, I wish fans could see it just crazy .

Yah McD should have went out on those plays that Diggs, Cook, & Sheffield dropped those passes & caught them for them & kicked that last kick too what a POS for him to let his players miss those !! 

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

During the preseason if I told you we'd have a healthy Josh Allen for the whole season and that we finished 11-6 with a home divisional round loss would you be happy with those results ? 

I know I wouldn't. 

What if I told you that a coaching blunder would directly cost us a game (Broncos) and that poor defense would cost us multiple games (Patriots, Eagles) ? That our defense would force only 1 punt in yet another playoff loss meltdown?

We've hit the ceiling with McDivisional. It's time to move on 

• Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

We are looking for a coach to take the team over the hump. If a proven coach is not available, you stick with McD. Because choosing an upcoming HC can back fire and the team can get worse. By the time that happens, another 25% of Allen's career would be gone. 

There is a proven coach who is currently available.

OIP.orBqaTXYmxVFDX2Gw7QR6wHaF4?w=200&h=1

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Oh, brother. 

You missed the point. 

It is a shame that our owner knew better than our coach, and now we are repeatedly beaten in the playoffs by that same generational QB.

P.S. Beane had not been hired yet.

P.P.S. Was there anyone picked in the draft after the pick that we traded that was better than Mahomes? Is Mahomes arguably the best QB in the NFL.

P.P.P.S. It is a good thing Pegula also loved Josh and was a driving force behind picking him.  A good thing for us and a good thing for McD in particular who would not have lasted this long without Josh.

I know Beane wasn't here. That was why McDermott didn't want to pick a QB. He wanted to get his guy in the GM's chair to make that pick. In the long run it was certainly a mistake. But a mistake made for the right reasons.

9 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

During the preseason if I told you we'd have a healthy Josh Allen for the whole season and that we finished 11-6 with a home divisional round loss would you be happy with those results ? 

I know I wouldn't. 

What if I told you that a coaching blunder would directly cost us a game (Broncos) and that poor defense would cost us multiple games (Patriots, Eagles) ? That our defense would force only 1 punt in yet another playoff loss meltdown?

We've hit the ceiling with McDivisional. It's time to move on 

I mean we didn't.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I know Beane wasn't here. That was why McDermott didn't want to pick a QB. He wanted to get his guy in the GM's chair to make that pick. In the long run it was certainly a mistake. But a mistake made for the right reasons.

I don't know if it was a mistake. If Allen is on the Chiefs with Reid and Mahomes is on the Bills with McDermott. Good chance Josh has the rings and Pat has the frustrating losses. Tre White was also a good pick for us. He played very well before the injuries hit.

14 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

“we are going to explore other options at head coach” is a great way to destabilize your entire organization. 

You can’t have it both ways. Either stick with the guy/get fully behind him, or fire him. 

Exactly how we are doing it down here at Burger King. 

Home of the Whopper

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Gregg said:

I don't know if it was a mistake. If Allen is on the Chiefs with Reid and Mahomes is on the Bills with McDermott. Good chance Josh has the rings and Pat has the frustrating losses. Tre White was also a good pick for us. He played very well before the injuries hit.

You might think that. No way of knowing. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

It is well known Terry loved Mahomes. But Sean McDermott not taking the word of his owner who has zero track record as a scout and not taking the word of a GM he didn't trust and was about to part from was hardly surprising. He didn't trade that pick so he could take a DB. He traded that pick to give his guy - Beane - the capital the following draft.  

Don't get me wrong it was the wrong decision. But the wrong decision for the right reasons. 

There was a lot of critique about Mahomes coming out about his throwing style, whether he could play outside the college spread offense and such.

23 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Agreed. If/when the Pegulas do move on from McDermott I think that a restructure would be the right move. Without Kim’s guidance there seems to be a void at the top. Beane is the kind of person I’d want filling that and guiding the team. Him as President with his hires at GM and HC is very appealing to me. 

I have no reason Mrs. Pegula is guiding her husband in a any significant way re: major decisions such as firing a HC.   But yes, I think neither should be running a football operation.  They've proven to be sports owners, not cogent managers of the teams they own.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

It was time two seasons ago to embrace Josh and get another outside receiver that could stretch the field and make contested catches.  One that can make catches that are routine.  One that can make catches when they aren't perfect too.  Its time to embrace Josh and realize that we need the skill players to out gun Mahomes.  That aint happening with the Sherfield, Harty's, Isabella's, Gabe Davis of the world.  Need a star.  A freaking star.  Not some role player.

GOLD!!!

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

There was a lot of critique about Mahomes coming out about his throwing style, whether he could play outside the college spread offense and such.

There was. His footwork was an abomination in college. The year he sat was very good for him. People forget that first training camp he was with the 3s for the most part. KC played it perfectly with him in their slow play approach. 

2 hours ago, ScotSHO said:

Just like the last game was the lowest scoring shootout ever, McD is the worst consistent 11 win coach in the league right now.  Hyperbolic statements, but it they have enough truth to make you think.

I guess you just keep rolling with the dude & his program, and hope they accidentally back into a championship one of these years.  Just like 2017, they certainly won't "earn" it on their own.

The narrative is already out in the sports media world that the Bills need some other team to knock out the Chiefs for Buffalo to have a chance.  I guess that what happens when you lose 3 times in a row in the playoffs, with almost perfect qb play

1 hour ago, cgg716 said:

We don't have as much evidence that Mahomes is miles ahead of Allen as we do that Reid is on a different planet than Mcd. You've taken the sports media, it's all the QB route. Lacks nuance at best, disingenuous at worst. Unless of course you think Jared Goff is also better than Allen 

I don’t think he is. I love Josh. That was not my point. We are very lucky to have Josh after missing out on Mahomes.

1 hour ago, RkFast said:

Im DYING to know what "leash" Josh Allen is on due to the head coach. Was it becuase in the opener he was caught on camera telling him to "BE SMART?" Wow...what a crushing comment. I mean, if I ever heard my boss telling me to be careful with my work, I would have to quit on the spot.

Also, Dunne's leaning on "drought fear" to make a point is ridiculous becuase if The Dought tought us ANYTHING, its that coaches are not interchangable and even the highly regarded ones who come in, which Williams, Mularkey and Rex all were, can just as easily fail. For every Shanahan there are THREE Matt Patricias. 

"Yeah but those coaches dont have Josh Allen."

But that statement doesnt wash either. Becuase the whole idea claimed that McD is "wasting" Josh Allen PROVES that an HC can do that. 

There are two elements of unleashing Allen:

1) Short term we're talking about the attempt to reign Allen in and have him run less and take less risks throwing the football.  We saw this put into effect during the first 10 games of 2023 and Allen was miserable, the offense uneven and an OC was fired as a result.  Dunne only points out the obvious: McD was the author of Allen's changed play. Dunne isn't making anything up here he's simply referring to the public statements and articles by McD in the off season & pre season.

2) Long term McD & Bean in their roster construction have sought to exploit Allen's unique talent not optimize it. This is a huge difference and the Bills have paid the price every year for this wrongheaded thinking. McD/Bean hoped that Allen was special enough to carry the O while they focused on the D. Look at the Bills neglect of the WR room, the most important position group when you have an elite QB to see that Dunne speaks the truth here.

Every post season Marvin Lewis said the right things about how next season would be different.  But they never were.  So you can hope the Bills make changes NOW like I do or you can keep expecting things to get better doing basically the same wrong things for another couple of years. 

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

"An owner knew better than our coach"?  I guess the multiple amount of teams who passed on Mahomes don't have scouting departments as good as Terry Pegula himself.

It is a shame that it is true in this case. 

31 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Agreed. If/when the Pegulas do move on from McDermott I think that a restructure would be the right move. Without Kim’s guidance there seems to be a void at the top. Beane is the kind of person I’d want filling that and guiding the team. Him as President with his hires at GM and HC is very appealing to me. 

My burning question is how much input is McD getting vs Beane in draft selection.

I was kinda down on Beane until this years draft which was 🔥

27 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

This is Keep Tyrod at QB logic. 👎

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.