Mr. Pegula please read Tyler Dunne’s newest article

12 hours ago, BananaB said:

It all ended the same way though.

yea, it feels like running off a timely streak saves him whereas if it was the same record with the losses spread across the season ending like it did we would be having serious talks. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

48 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Dunne is 100% right about this, a bunch of people in this thread have their heads buried in the sand.

Maybe the best approach at this point is to stick with McDermott and hope that we luck into a super bowl.  It's possible.  If we make the playoffs every year, there's a decent chance that the ball will eventually bounce our way a few games in a row.  That's not a totally unreasonable strategy.  But Dunne is right that we're being coached by Marty Schottenheimer, which would be a-okay if Tyrod Taylor was under center, but it feels kind of criminal when we have a HOFer in his prime.

We have a high floor/low ceiling coach with maybe the highest ceiling QB ever. Time to rip it and let him go do his thing. 

I didn't read the article and I am not going to pay to read it.  I think it's pretty safe to say McD is not getting fired this year.  If he was going to get fired then he probably wouldn't have handled the end of season press conference.

This team needs a good OC.  Whether or not Brady is that guy, I don't know. We haven't actually seen his offense.  I did think he did a good job taking over mid season. I also felt he called some pretty good games and fixed SOME of the problems on offense.  The team also needs to start investing valuable assets into skill positions on offense.  I know our defense needs a rebuild but frankly, I just don't care. 

This D had tons of money and draft picks invested in it only for it to fail miserably.  We have a 200 man D line rotation that sat on the bench for long spurts of time and they got almost no pressure at all on Mahomes.  Thats pathetic.  I know other guys were injured and people playing were not 100% but the D line should still be able to get pressure.  It was time two seasons ago to embrace Josh and get another outside receiver that could stretch the field and make contested catches.  One that can make catches that are routine.  One that can make catches when they aren't perfect too.  Its time to embrace Josh and realize that we need the skill players to out gun Mahomes.  That aint happening with the Sherfield, Harty's, Isabella's, Gabe Davis of the world.  Need a star.  A freaking star.  Not some role player.

I'm tired of seeing Mahomes able to play pitch and catch all over the field and his guys run for 20 extra yards while our guys are tripping over each other in the same area making coverage easy.  Im tired of seeing our guys drop balls.  Im tired of seeing just the checkdown get open only for him to be collapsed on.  Im tired of hearing about how Josh lost the game because he missed one damn pass all game long.  Im tired of people thinking that the way to play offense is to throw the ball behind the los.  Thats all BS.  Every damn team in the league gets guys open and they catch the damn ball.  We don't.  The checkdown don't count.  Josh should not have to play perfect.  No other QB on the planet is expected to have to play perfect.  Why?  Because its damn near impossible to play perfect.  We got spoiled because Josh had a perfect game or two in the playoffs.  That doesn't happen.  It should not be expected to happen.  Not even Mahomes plays perfect.  We had ***** defense and he didn't play perfect.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

More wise observations:

That means unleashing his best player in full.

Im DYING to know what "leash" Josh Allen is on due to the head coach. Was it becuase in the opener he was caught on camera telling him to "BE SMART?" Wow...what a crushing comment. I mean, if I ever heard my boss telling me to be careful with my work, I would have to quit on the spot.

Also, Dunne's leaning on "drought fear" to make a point is ridiculous becuase if The Dought tought us ANYTHING, its that coaches are not interchangable and even the highly regarded ones who come in, which Williams, Mularkey and Rex all were, can just as easily fail. For every Shanahan there are THREE Matt Patricias. 

"Yeah but those coaches dont have Josh Allen."

But that statement doesnt wash either. Becuase the whole idea claimed that McD is "wasting" Josh Allen PROVES that an HC can do that. 

Edited by RkFast

9 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Better question…how many times have you actually known that’s not the truth vs just making up your reality opposite of all known facts?

As I said, believe what you want. That is your prerogative.

10 hours ago, Peter said:

I find it funny how people post he “sucks” etc. 

I have disagreed with Dunne in the past, but just because he writes something that might hurt McD’s feelings doesn’t mean Dunne sucks.

The guy has some insight and some behind the scenes sources.

One of the most interesting things he has written is that Terrry really wanted Mahomes but did not want to meddle with McD who wanted to trade that pick so that he could draft a defensive back rather than a generational QB.

It is well known Terry loved Mahomes. But Sean McDermott not taking the word of his owner who has zero track record as a scout and not taking the word of a GM he didn't trust and was about to part from was hardly surprising. He didn't trade that pick so he could take a DB. He traded that pick to give his guy - Beane - the capital the following draft.  

Don't get me wrong it was the wrong decision. But the wrong decision for the right reasons. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

https://www.golongtd.com/p/the-buffalo-bills-have-a-decision

Tyler Dunne is spot on. Great article I don’t understand how at the very least we couldn’t have told Sean McDermott hey we’re going to explore other options at head coach in the next few weeks. We are not firing you unless we find someone we think will maximize Josh Allens talents and get us to a Super Bowl more than you can.

It’s an off-season that has Hall of Fame coaches just sitting there for the taking. Why not at least check it out.  What’s the worst that happens if we do that? McD gets pissy and resigns. Well thank God for that. 

I found this to be a great read actually.

12 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

More wise observations:

So, it’s decision time. Buffalo must decide which individual they should orbit around. That will guide both draft decisions and X ‘n O philosophy. Obviously replacing McDermott with a new coach could help maximize Josh Allen before it’s too late, but Pegula didn’t do that after a fifth straight playoff loss.  

Allen could speak up. He won’t rock the boat.

That leaves one person to look in the mirror and change if the Bills are ever going to win a Super Bowl. The head coach.

He’s right. He needs to go for it.

That means unleashing his best player in full.

The "worst" that would happen with a new coach would be to go to the playoffs and lose. Well, if we aren't used to that by now!!

I think it's now or never. JMHO. 

I don't personally think they will, but at the very least, TALK to these guys. Give em an interview!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

It is well known Terry loved Mahomes. But Sean McDermott not taking the word of his owner who has zero track record as a scout and not taking the word of a GM he didn't trust and was about to part from was hardly surprising. He didn't trade that pick so he could take a DB. He traded that pick to give his guy - Beane - the capital the following draft.  

Oh, brother. 

You missed the point. 

It is a shame that our owner knew better than our coach, and now we are repeatedly beaten in the playoffs by that same generational QB.

P.S. Beane had not been hired yet.

P.P.S. Was there anyone picked in the draft after the pick that we traded that was better than Mahomes? Is Mahomes arguably the best QB in the NFL.

P.P.P.S. It is a good thing Pegula also loved Josh and was a driving force behind picking him.  A good thing for us and a good thing for McD in particular who would not have lasted this long without Josh.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, RkFast said:

Im DYING to know what "leash" Josh Allen is on due to the head coach. Was it becuase in the opener he was caught on camera telling him to "BE SMART?" Wow...what a crushing comment. I mean, if I ever heard my boss telling me to be careful with my work, I would have to quit on the spot.

Also, Dunne's leaning on "drought fear" to make a point is ridiculous becuase if The Dought tought us ANYTHING, its that coaches are not interchangable and even the highly regarded ones who come in, which Williams, Mularkey and Rex all were, can just as easily fail. For every Shanahan there are THREE Matt Patricias. 

"Yeah but those coaches dont have Josh Allen."

But that statement doesnt wash either. Becuase the whole idea claimed that McD is "wasting" Josh Allen PROVES that an HC can do that. 

You don't think the lack of attention to the offense is a leash?

Tyler Dunne is spot on. Great article I don’t understand how at the very least we couldn’t have told Sean McDermott hey we’re going to explore other options at head coach in the next few weeks. We are not firing you unless we find someone we think will maximize Josh Allens talents and get us to a Super Bowl more than you can.

It’s an off-season that has Hall of Fame coaches just sitting there for the taking. Why not at least check it out.  What’s the worst that happens if we do that? McD gets pissy and resigns. Well thank God for that. 

You think it's a good look to tell the current coach that you're going to be the 1:45 am girl?  

9 minutes ago, Peter said:

Oh, brother. 

You missed the point. 

It is a shame that our owner knew better than our coach, and now we are repeatedly beaten in the playoffs by that same generational QB.

P.P.S. Was there anyone picked in the draft after the pick that we traded that was better than Mahomes? Is Mahomes arguably the best QB in the NFL.

P.P.P.S. It is a good thing Pegula also loved Josh and was a driving force behind picking him.  A good thing for us and a good thing for McD in particular who would not have lasted this long without Josh.

We don't have as much evidence that Mahomes is miles ahead of Allen as we do that Reid is on a different planet than Mcd. You've taken the sports media, it's all the QB route. Lacks nuance at best, disingenuous at worst. Unless of course you think Jared Goff is also better than Allen 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScotSHO said:

Just like the last game was the lowest scoring shootout ever, McD is the worst consistent 11 win coach in the league right now.  Hyperbolic statements, but it they have enough truth to make you think.

I guess you just keep rolling with the dude & his program, and hope they accidentally back into a championship one of these years.  Just like 2017, they certainly won't "earn" it on their own.

Mike McCarthy would like a word.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Peter said:

Oh, brother. 

You missed the point. 

"An owner knew better than our coach"?  I guess the multiple amount of teams who passed on Mahomes don't have scouting departments as good as Terry Pegula himself.

• Haha (+1) 1

Names?

For some reason this thread makes me picture Pegula sitting in his office all riled up, his nameless assistant standing behind him waiting for some sort of order...

then suddenly Pegula picks up the phone like Mr. Potter in It's a Wonderful Life and yells "Get Tyler Dunne in here!" 

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

“we are going to explore other options at head coach” is a great way to destabilize your entire organization. 

You can’t have it both ways. Either stick with the guy/get fully behind him, or fire him. 

While I’ve agreed with a lot of what Dunne has written on McD and the Bills, this is ridiculous. Can the guy and move on or support him. If it became known that the Pegulas were even sniffing around other HCs it would be over for McD. 

• Agree 1

Just now, BarleyNY said:

While I’ve agreed with a lot of what Dunne has written on McD and the Bills, this is ridiculous. Can the guy and move on or support him. If it became known that the Pegulas were even sniffing around other HCs it would be over for McD. 

That's why I think it was the "secret story" referenced in the "fire McD" thread. Nothing else makes sense. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, FireChans said:

I legitimately do not give a crap if Jerry Jones agonizes on his weekly radio show or Pegula does not. Who cares?

Yea, Jerry Jones is a terrible basis for an opinion that we need a more vocal owner...  You mean the guy whose team is an even bigger disappointment than the Bills?  Who actually have WR talent and still aren't winning playoff games?  And who hasn't dont anything in the last 25 years as owner?  Yea, not really thinking that's who you hang your argument on

13 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

It’s easy to see who read this article and who just crapped  out the same tired “it’s just Dunne hating on McD” responses.

its a well made argument by Dunne.  If you don’t agree with it, come up with an equally well argued counter.  

Pegula is checked out.  Happy to have one of his teams at least having national relevance while the other wallows in mud. Hes got his stadium coming and rabid fans—enough of whom think it’s fine to rack up regular season wins and get bounced in the playoffs (“remember the drought???!!”)  The money prints itself either way.  Laugh at Jerry Jones all you want, but it’s clear he agonizes over the misfortunes of his team when it consistently comes up short in the post season.  

Agreed. If/when the Pegulas do move on from McDermott I think that a restructure would be the right move. Without Kim’s guidance there seems to be a void at the top. Beane is the kind of person I’d want filling that and guiding the team. Him as President with his hires at GM and HC is very appealing to me. 

13 hours ago, WhoTom said:

He let Frazier save face. Everyone, including Frazier, knew he wouldn't be back.

The point is, McDermott never did to Frazier what the post we're responding to by @NeverOutNick suggested:

"I don’t understand how at the very least we couldn’t have told Sean McDermott hey we’re going to explore other options at head coach in the next few weeks. We are not firing you unless we find someone we think will maximize Josh Allens talents and get us to a Super Bowl more than you can."

As @WhoTom pointed out, that would be a disaster in a romantic relationship.  "Hi Sugarlips!  I have full confidence in you as the (man, woman, whatever) who can rock my world and light up my life, so I'm not breaking up with you - but I'm going to explore other options, and if I think I've found someone better, YOU'RE GONE!"  A romantic partner with any self respect would "Nope!" out of there so fast they'd leave skidmarks, and rightfully so.

Pretty much the same for a high-profile job like McDermott.  Support him....or fire him.  There is no "we'll look around and upgrade if we can, otherwise we have full confidence in your abilities to lead the team" option.

And McDermott never did anything like that to Frazier.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.