Beane & McDermott end of season press conferences

Process

2 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

That they were disappointed & angry realizing their way of building a football isn't championship caliber, instead of happy to be just be there. That they never should havebeen 6-6 in the first place, instead of thinking winning 5 straight is a major accomplishment.

No coach of any professional sporting team is saying that they are “ happy just to be there”…

Edited by Aussie Joe

46 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I was a critic of him last offseason… but I think he has shown enough to be extended ..

Oh, gosh, we disagree then.  He's shown some improvement but going into his 4th year, you want to extend him? 

Where's someone who knows more OL play than I do to comment on this?

Just now, Beck Water said:

Oh, gosh, we disagree then.  He's shown some improvement but going into his 4th year, you want to extend him? 

Where's someone who knows more OL play than I do to comment on this?

Well… that person isn’t me … but I will wait and see what happens with him with great interest…

At this point I’m disappointed the bottom didn’t fall out and this team didn’t miss the playoffs all together if it means we’re stuck with this dog and clappy show for the foreseeable future.

It’s been painfully obvious for some time now that MiDermott has plateaued, he’s not getting it done, he won’t get it done, let’s just keep wasting Josh Allen.

Can honestly say Idgaf about the draft or free agency, any of it so long as they insist upon spinning their tires with Sean. You know how the story ends every year, Terry’s true colors are showing, he just doesn’t want the Bills to end up like the Sabres, as long as they are relevant and churning out winning seasons, he’s happy.

Edited by Dr.Mantis_Toboggan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

What else can Beane say about Diggs other than what he said?  He knows that Diggs is mercurial and can't be traded or cut in the near-term, so how would it help to say that he is not a #1 WR?

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'd be surprised if we draft any OL.  We have our entire starting line returning. As well as all our depth from this year.

We might decide to release Morse and promote Bates, or vice versa, and need a backup interior OL. But those are easy to find in FA (cheap compared to DL) and we have Broeker coming back.

We definitely need DTs, so I expect at least 1 DE and 1 DT drafted. Maybe even 2.

You never quit working on your O-line maybe the guys you get don't always replace the starters right away, but if they replace the back ups and can develop behind them great. That's how you maintain continuity and can keep affording a good one.

23 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Yeah, I haven't listened through the whole interview yet, but this is the first time I've listened to a Brandon Beane interview and done that sort of "blink and headshake" reaction a couple of times.  How do you know you'll be able to count on Von to be what you need him to be next year?  Oh we expect him to continue to improve, Von Miller is "trending up".  Diggs is a No. 1 WR because Brandon Beane believes that he is.

Maybe Beane has sounded this delulu all along and I haven't really processed it before because his delusions were at less critical positions, I dunno.

I don't know the way Diggs started off the season, plus I'd assume Beane has a much better idea of what Diggs was dealing with down the stretch of the season, I'm not just going to write him off yet.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

It also beats  saying “blow everything up” which I have read here a few times since the loss on Sunday 

Lies Liar GIF

I never said that, not even close. I said “burn it down.”

just joking with ya 😂 

Edited by BIGFOOTspaceman

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Do you honestly feel Spencer Brown is good enough in pass protection at RT? 

Yes. Definitely good enough to not waste a high pick trying to replace a player who was a key part of our strongest unit. And a late pick aint gonna beat him out.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I've said this for years and been flamed for it.

Doug Marrone and Rex Ryan would have taken this team to at least one superbowl by now. Won't go as far to say win it but they were/are upgrades with a QB like Josh Allen.

And before people brush this off remember that both have won road playoff games (something McD has never done) and both have been to at least one AFCCG which is the same career highlight as McD. They also did this with Blake Bortles and Mark Sanchez as their respective starting QB's.

Vine Wtf GIF

3 hours ago, Low Positive said:

Both offenses moved the ball pretty much at will

This is absolutely not the case. 8.5 yards per play versus 4.7 yards the play. Our drives had to be slow and methodical and error-free, and end with magical plays close to the goalline. The Chiefs were picking up massive chunks with ease. Their TDs came easy. Don't let the final score fool you. It was a total mismatch for the defenses, special teams, skill players, and coaching. Only one superior factor on our side kept it even on the scoreboard.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

5 hours ago, eball said:

I know what you told me (about Dorsey) and I don't think what McD says constitutes a "lie"...I don't think he can tell the press something like that.

It's not just "you can't tell the press that".

McDermott as head coach literally has "fate control" of all the assistant coaches.  It is literally on him, no one else, to fire an assistant coach.

Every offensive player in the building could file into his office and stand there looking at him like a pack of Furbys after presenting a notorized petition signed by seven witnesses in red ink, and it's still McDermott's decision whether or not to use his authority and make that choice, because he is the man with the authority (fate control)

So even if the above happened, if McDermott says "it was my decision", he's not telling even a bit of a lie.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I kind of hope for his sake, that he does.  Between the neck surgery last season and then being out a lot with "neck" or "stinger" this season, I feel he's one wrong landing or wrong hit away from permanent disability.

Do you honestly feel Spencer Brown is good enough in pass protection at RT? 

I wouldn’t rule out OL but I’d highly bet against it in Rounds 1 and 2.  I think the focus really is going to find a new WR1 and I don’t buy the lip service about Diggs

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

I don't know the way Diggs started off the season, plus I'd assume Beane has a much better idea of what Diggs was dealing with down the stretch of the season, I'm not just going to write him off yet.

Fair.

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

I know that post is a year old but it still applies today.  IMO he's taken them as far as he can take them. I don't see them getting over the hump with him. Time to get an offensive minded coach. 

reid noll landry cowher madden and McDERMOTT. 

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloMatt said:

reid noll landry cowher madden and McDERMOTT. 

Disagree. He's done a good job getting them to be competitive and out of the drought years. IMO this is a far as he takes them.  Complimentary football is an old school way of thinking.  They need to get a coach that will focus on the offense. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Compare McDermott to Dan Campbell in Detroit. I understand people have different personalities; however, each team seems to take on the identity of their leader. Dan Campbell looks like he’d run through a wall and his team has taken on that mentality in Detroit. McDermott doesn’t instill that killer attitude in our team. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.