[Name Only Title] Gregory Rousseau

Bill51390

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I believe Rousseau is capable of that. We'll see if it pans out.

Folks also have to remember, this is the talent we get picking so late in the 1st. We have to be lucky to strike gold, otherwise the player would already have been picked in the top 10.

Rousseau is a good all-around player drafted 30th overall.

That was a weird draft due to covid. He sat out. Rousseau IMO is an elite talent. I expect a lot from him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think we will get a better idea of his value next year. Floyd had a great year opposite him. He will likely have a lesser partner next year and will have to take a big step. If he makes that step you pay him. If he is still just a guy, then you have a tougher call on his value. 

Floyd started the season great, but only had 1 sack in the final 8 games, not good. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I'd say he gives you exactly what you can expect out of an edge rusher drafted at the end of Round 1. The Bills need to be a lot worse to have a shot at drafting an actual game-wrecker on the edge. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, boyst said:

the DL did ok. the linebackers not much.

OK???

The get all the heat from defensive failings last night man. With Bernard out the options behind them were Klein and Dodson. Both absolutely limited guys in coverage. 

They needed to be great. They weren’t. They were exactly like you said, OK. 

Absolutely criminal none of those guys (Floyd, Oliver, Groot, AJE, Von, Lawson, Jones, Settle, Linval) they choose to use in a rotation to keep fresh made a play. 9 of them did “ok”. That’s a problem for that much investment. 

Secondary didn’t play bad and neither did Dodson or Klein individually. The problem is that is not a pairing you can ask to defend a motion and level type offense. 

2 minutes ago, Bill51390 said:

Floyd started the season great, but only had 1 sack in the final 8 games, not good. 

Floyd has a bad shoulder and has been ineffective for weeks.  Rousseau started the season great I thought and then injured his foot.  He got better later in the year but wasn't noticeable when we needed him.  Once again our pass rush was a no show against KC.

• Agree 1

Average pass rusher and great run defender. He actually had a career high in pressures and QB hits this year (per PFR) but struggled to finish. I think having Von playing at really high level benefitted him a lot last year (2022). I still want to see him get more opportunities to rush from inside on obvious passing downs. Got a ton of sacks doing that at Miami. Overall I’d say he’s nothing special but he’s a starting caliber DE for sure and far from being someone that holds this team back.

Greg Rousseau has only been playing DE for 5 years. He was a safety/LB/WR in highschool. At Miami he moved to DE as a freshman. He's played exceptionally well for a guy who's talented yet extremely raw. He's not going to be a 10-15 sack guy ever, he's your edge setting DE who plays the run better than the pass. His sack numbers at Miami were inflated due to the DC moving him inside on passing downs where he used his length to beat guards. He's a low end Cam Jordan, known as a better run stuffer than a pure pass rusher. He's one you keep because his measurables are something you can't find. He can disrupt pass lanes and knock down lots of balls as we've seen him do here. If you have a legit pass rush option opposite of him he will look much better. 

24 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm not sure how this ties to our WR situation as there werent any WRs we passed on with those picks.

The missed pick was Basham over Creed Humphrey.

Unless you are saying we could have already moved on from Morse and used that money to sign better WRs. But we didnt have any problem throwing money at WR this year with the Harty and Sherfield signings.

So I'm confused on the details here.

Nico Collins was picked shortly after. He'd be nice right now. 

I think he’s fine, and not really a problem with our defense. Considering where he was drafted and his cost, he’s performed adequately.

I kind of hope he doesn’t have a monster contract year, so we can retain him affordably and have stability at that spot. In fact, I would extend him this off-season to an affordable deal if I were Beane.

18 minutes ago, MPL said:

I'd say he gives you exactly what you can expect out of an edge rusher drafted at the end of Round 1. The Bills need to be a lot worse to have a shot at drafting an actual game-wrecker on the edge. 

TJ Watt: Round 1 Pick 30

Maxx Crosby: Round 4 Pick 106

Trey Hendrickson: Round 3 Pick 103

Danielle Hunter: Round 3 Pick 88

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, BBFL said:

OK???

The get all the heat from defensive failings last night man. With Bernard out the options behind them were Klein and Dodson. Both absolutely limited guys in coverage. 

They needed to be great. They weren’t. They were exactly like you said, OK. 

Absolutely criminal none of those guys (Floyd, Oliver, Groot, AJE, Von, Lawson, Jones, Settle, Linval) they choose to use in a rotation to keep fresh made a play. 9 of them did “ok”. That’s a problem for that much investment. 

Secondary didn’t play bad and neither did Dodson or Klein individually. The problem is that is not a pairing you can ask to defend a motion and level type offense. 

the DL did as good as any other unit. the passes were quick. they didn't have time to get to mahomes. targets open downfield. poor tackling by the team. a lot of issues. the dl wasn't the worst unit yesterday.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, MPL said:

Or at any position really.

• Agree 1

Just now, boyst said:

the DL did as good as any other unit. the passes were quick. they didn't have time to get to mahomes. targets open downfield. poor tackling by the team. a lot of issues. the dl wasn't the worst unit yesterday.

Yeah but the point is they needed to be great. There’s excuses for the CBs and LBs. they have been in and out of the lineup due to necessity. Not rotation. You’re down to some absolute scraps in a monumental game everywhere on the defense except the line…

They should have stepped up. They’ve made plays all year but disappear in back to back games. 

Secondary and LBs stepped up against Pitt… they could have returned the favor and done more than, like you said, ok…

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.