Where does this regime go from here?

HappyDays

In my mind, our best shot will be when Andy Reid retires. As long as he's there, the offense will continue to be an unstoppable machine. Allen played a great game that would have been good enough to beat most teams today, but Mahomes was flawless and their offense was unstoppable. If today didn't put to bed the ridiculous notion around here that Mahomes is in anyway inferior to Josh, than nothing will. I say that to take nothing away from the incredible and elite talent that Allen is, but only to say that your strategy simply can't be to have Allen go out there and outperform Mahomes in the playoffs, because it will never happen.

We scored methodically today, but KC scored at will. We're going to need an historically good defense and an offensive scheme to rival theirs. The former may never happen, and I can't see the latter happening as long as Andy Reid is coaching and our personnel talent pool is limited exclusively to people who have worked in North Carolina.

15 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Another case of our head coach's brain freezing up in a critical moment in a playoff game. It now takes two hands to count such moments.

I have zero optimism about this franchise under McDermott. Really good guy, albeit wound very tight, but just not a championship coach.

5 years, no super bowl appearances.  1 championship game.  Obviously not good enough.  But the offense is severely limited with the WR group we have.  They just can not get any separation or make any sort of contested catch, or catch any deep ball for that matter.  Keep Shakir, and the rest can go including Diggs.  His play has fallen off a cliff in the second half of the season.  Kincaid is a big talent when used properly.  But the D looked awful for most of the game.  Sure we have injuries, but the D Line did not show.  That's a big problem.  And McDermott or Brady really did not make any adjustments in our game plan to catch the Chiefs off guard.  Tough painful loss.  

Where does this regime go from here?

More of the same.  Pegula's satisfied and counting his billions.  No changes.  

For us fans, expect more of the same.  Solid regular season performance, maybe a WC Round win, then a Divisional Round loss.  

Who knows when Pegula will fire McD.  He's got 9 lives and through only a couple of them.  

The repetitive play-calling in the 2nd Half for plays that clearly were not working was mind-blowing.  

We ran 37 plays for a paltry 133 yards in the 2nd Half!!!!  That's 3.6 yards-per-play, which SUCKS!  

58 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This was the weakest version of the Chiefs that we will probably ever see under Mahomes.

We got them in our stadium.

We had an all-world Josh Allen performance. Mahomes missed 2 TD passes.

We got lucky with a fumble through the end zone saving the game for us.

And it still wasn't enough to get it done.

I felt all along like it had to be this year that we beat the Chiefs to give fans some kind of confidence that this regime could get over that hump. After today, can we honestly be confident that this regime will ever take us to the promised land?

That means McDermott AND Beane by the way. Defensive coaching in this game was awful. And ultimately poor WR play was once again our biggest issue on offense, after years of under investing in the position.

I don't know man. I can't even find it in me to feel hopeful about next year with the same guys in charge.

yea, 11 wins then 1-1 in the playoffs ain’t it 

roll in burrow/bengals issues

we already missed the easiest window, and we’re still gifted this year. 

if it hasn’t happened yet, other than dumb luck, I don’t understand why we think McDermott will make it happen in a more challenging year 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

We don’t. Fans are just scared to give up on all this success that’s won is some division champs for something totally unknown from an owner who doesn’t have a clue. The Bills are truly in a bad spot going forward. 

a lot of people are seemingly scared to walk away from a nice enough girl that just doesn’t feel like “the one” because their last couple gfs were abusive or cheated so who knows what’s out there to hurt them

• Agree 1

Next year feels like a rebuilding year given our cap challenges and the collective age of our core. Confidence or no, this regime we be here next season. No way Pegula takes the hit after giving out huge extensions. 

Edited by VW82

I may be in the minority, but I like where I think this team is headed.  We are old along the D Line and Safety, but those are not insurmountable problems.  I think there are very good pieces on this team, but a lack of good depth at WR and injuries on D ultimately ended the season.

We have a franchise QB, a good RB, a good O Line with some good young players.  We have a top young TE who is going to get better and an emerging slot WR in Shakir.  Knox should also be better next season.  I also like what I saw from Ty Johnson.

On defense, I like Milano, Oliver, Rousseau, Douglas, Benard, Taron Johnson, and Benford.  That's a really good core D with some very young (and cheap) talent.  I'd like to see Jones and Floyd re-signed.  I believe Dodson, Spector, and Williams will give us strong LB depth next season.  I can also see Poyer returning for a final season.

The off-season priorities are safety, WR, and D Line, and I think Beane should be able to address those needs early in draft with possible instant starters.  I would love to draft Adonai Mitchell early.  He is big and fast with excellent hands.  I also think there will be 3-4 safeties available late in the 2nd rd who could start immediately like UGA's Bullard. 

The other priority is finding 40 million in cap space to get under the cap.

$6 million likely comes from releasing Tre White (10 million dead cap). 

$9 million could come from moving on from Mitch Morse, but I don't see that happening.  I can see an extension to lower his $12 mill cap hit.

$4 million comes from dumping Harty

Dumping Gilliam saves another $2

We can also save some $ by extending or restructuring Taron Johnson's deal.  

The team is currently paying stupid money to Diggs, Miller, and Knox.  Finding some savings here will go along way to fixing the payroll.  Also Josh counts $47 mill against next year's cap (or about 19.5%).

I also have zero problem with bringing Brady back as OC.  I think he'll have a better handle on the offense next season with a full off-season to prepare for the job and if Beane gets him better weapons at WR.

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 1

McD D comes first. That’s always been the way, always gonna be the way. 

Even at trade deadline when everything seemed like it was going wrong, McDs D got Joseph and Douglas. Getting a WR that can catch the ***** ball would been helpful

• Like (+1) 1

Now is the time to tear it down. Get some fresh offensive minds in here and start dumping players on this awful defense. 

I would even say that trading Josh isn’t entirely off the table. He will want out after next season so we might as well get a record haul for him. But we can’t do any of this with McD in the building.

23 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

In my mind, our best shot will be when Andy Reid retires. As long as he's there, the offense will continue to be an unstoppable machine. Allen played a great game that would have been good enough to beat most teams today, but Mahomes was flawless and their offense was unstoppable. If today didn't put to bed the ridiculous notion around here that Mahomes is in anyway inferior to Josh, than nothing will. I say that to take nothing away from the incredible and elite talent that Allen is, but only to say that your strategy simply can't be to have Allen go out there and outperform Mahomes in the playoffs, because it will never happen.

We scored methodically today, but KC scored at will. We're going to need an historically good defense and an offensive scheme to rival theirs. The former may never happen, and I can't see the latter happening as long as Andy Reid is coaching and our personnel talent pool is limited exclusively to people who have worked in North Carolina.

In all fairness...our defense was Swiss cheese like it always is when we play a top flight QB in the playoffs, plus the injuries. KC has had a top flight pass defense this season.

I don't think Mahomes was as impressive today as you're making him out to be. Switch Allen and Mahomes and he struggles against their defense and Josh carves us up

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Governor said:

Now is the time to tear it down. Get some fresh offensive minds in here and start dumping players on this awful defense. 

I would even say that trading Josh isn’t entirely off the table. He will want out after next season so we might as well get a record haul for him. But we can’t do any of this with McD in the building.

This is the natural off-season to change the coaching staff.  Team will be in upheaval anyway. 

The new guy will want some new personnel and want the offense built in a certain manner.  That's fine...we need a new WR corps anyway.  

First item of business would be to get rid of all of these underachieving D-linemen if possible.

• Agree 3

Just now, Nextmanup said:

This is the natural off-season to change the coaching staff.  Team will be in upheaval anyway. 

The new guy will want some new personnel and want the offense built in a certain manner.  That's fine...we need a new WR corps anyway.  

First item of business would be to get rid of all of these underachieving D-linemen if possible.

I agree. I think it’s the perfect time. Let a new regime work with Josh and if he doesn’t like it, or they don’t like it, trade him.

He’s only running this back 1 more year under McD before he demands a trade anyway.

Try to salvage it the best we can.

31 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Mahomes was not flawless. And he was not flawless up against a battered defense.

1 minute ago, BeastMaster said:

In all fairness...our defense was Swiss cheese like it always is when we play a top flight QB in the playoffs, plus the injuries. KC has had a top flight pass defense this season.

I don't think Mahomes was as impressive today as you're making him out to be. Switch Allen and Mahomes and he struggles against their defense and Josh carves us up

Mahomes doesn't tyically struggle against merely good defenses.  He has too many ways to deal with them and no small part of that is having Travis Kelce. You would need to throw things at him he's never seen and overwhelm his targets in a way no one has ever done to stop him. Maybe the ravens or 49ers can do it, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

I acknowledge that our defense was pretty bad today. Douglas really shouldn't have been starting as it was obvious his injury was holding him back despite being in pretty decent position most of the day, and being stuck with Klein at LB #1 was a liability. Most disappointing however was our completely healthy and exorbitantly expensive D-line that was invisible all game. We certainly got bit hard by injuries, but that group was who we needed to show up and they didn't.

3 minutes ago, Governor said:

I agree. I think it’s the perfect time. Let a new regime work with Josh and if he doesn’t like it, or they don’t like it, trade him.

He’s only running this back 1 more year under McD before he demands a trade anyway.

Try to salvage it the best we can.

I hope he demands a trade now.  Me or McD.  Pegs would have to go with Josh.  Sick of seeing all our assets wasted on the D.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I hope he demands a trade now.  Me or McD.  Pegs would have to go with Josh.  Sick of seeing all our assets wasted on the D.  

It would be amazing if he did. This has gone on long enough.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.