Isn't This Game the Ultimate Referendum on Beane?

It was obvious a number of years ago Mahommes and the Chiefs were going to be the team to beat in the AFC for years to come.

Beane set out to mold his team as the one that could beat the big Boogeyman Mahommes through an effective pass rush.

Yes Beane has picked up some great position players along the way, but its obvious with Rousseau, Epenesa, Basham (now departed), Von (I'm back to 100%) Miller, Floyd (and others) where he placed his personnel concentration. 

Now he has a home game, with all these guys relatively healthy going up against some fairly average offensive tackles. 

Yes, the secondary and linebacking corps is fairly beat up...but if Beane did his due diligence,  it shouldn't make a difference if they can dominate.

We will know by midnight on Sunday.

• Vomit 5
  • Eyeroll 11
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I don't think so.  I said before the season that this is the best roster Beane has put together - and I still think that's true.

But we've been hit harder than most with injuries this year, and certainly much harder than our opponent Sunday.

People can call that an "excuse" if we lose and it's brought up.  It's just reality. How can we judge someone for the roster construction when at least a third of the starting roster is out?

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 6
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

It was obvious a number of years ago Mahommes and the Chiefs were going to be the team to beat in the AFC for years to come.

Beane set out to mold his team as the one that could beat the big Boogeyman Mahommes through an effective pass rush.

Yes Beane has picked up some great position players along the way, but its obvious with Rousseau, Epenesa, Basham (now departed), Von (I'm back to 100%) Miller, Floyd (and others) where he placed his personnel concentration. 

Now he has a home game, with all these guys relatively healthy going up against some fairly average offensive tackles. 

Yes, the secondary and linebacking corps is fairly beat up...but if Beane did his due diligence,  it shouldn't make a difference if they can dominate.

We will know by midnight on Sunday.

One game is just that, one game. It’s not the ultimate referendum on anything. It’s one more piece of the puzzle. I prefer a bigger picture view. Saying the DL is relatively healthy does not paint the entire picture. I’m very concerned about LB and DB. 

But time will tell.  🤞 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Beane has done fine finding good supplemental back ups. I'm not expecting much from Von but anything will help.  We'll need a great game out of Floyd, Rousseau and Epenesa.  They have to force Patrick up the middle around Ed & Daquan.  We'll also need an occasional spy. I know this leaves us vulnerable in man coverage. You cannot let Patrick be comfortable in the pocket nor can you allow him to scramble for 15-20 up the middle. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Respectfully, I would suggest that this whole season has been a referendum on Brandon Beane.

The Bills likely don't get to the playoffs without the contributions of Cook (drafted), Torrence (drafted), McGovern (FA), Brown (drafted), Kincaid (drafted), Shakir (drafted), Bernard (drafted), Oliver (drafted, re-signed), Floyd (FA), Douglas (trade), etc. 

Add in the "next man up" contributions of guys like Dane Jackson and AJ Klein and Baylon Spector and Deonte Harty and Trent Sherfield in recent weeks, and it equals an impressive roster with impressive depth, built by Branodn Beane.

I get what you're saying. Playoff games against the Chiefs will always be measuring stick games. But the fact that the Bills are even IN this position is a testament to the roster-building of Brandon Beane.

• Like (+1) 19
  • Agree 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 6

Am pinning a lot of expectations on Floyd (especially), AJ, Rousseau and Ed to be difference makers out there for us. Hopefully a lot of batted balls too, as Mahomie will be eyeballing Kelce over the middle all day I'm sure. Anything we can do to keep the heat off of our depleted back 7...

• Like (+1) 2

The Bills can and have beaten the Chiefs multiple times over the past couple of years. They just need to do it in the playoffs.

Both the Bills and the Chiefs are great NFL teams. Either can beat the other. Either can win the Super Bowl. It has been that way for a few years now. The Bills just need to go beat them when it counts.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Am pinning a lot of expectations on Floyd (especially), AJ, Rousseau and Ed to be difference makers out there for us. Hopefully a lot of batted balls too, as Mahomie will be eyeballing Kelce over the middle all day I'm sure. Anything we can do to keep the heat off of our depleted back 7...

This needs to be a great game for the line.  And when they get to Mahomes, they have to contain - without big passing plays, that offense is only really dangerous when he is able to break free of that 1st line of defense and rack up big yards.

• Agree 1

They're a 13-second collapse away from being 4-2 against the Chiefs the past few seasons, with 5 of those 6 games in KC.

He's put together a roster that is proven to be competitive with KC, just not as much when playoff time comes, but with the odds against them given almost all of the games were on the road in a hostile environment.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They haven’t been hit harder with most with injuries… they lost Milano/Jones/White early. Replaced White with Douglas, Jones is back and only Milano is out for the year…. They are certainly banged up going into Sunday but more than most? No way…. This is the roster McBeane put together. A loss Sunday is still a failure season despite them coming back from the dead IMO. 

The goal was and has been SB though. It was never about making the playoffs. Coming up short again is a failure… losing out in the divisional game again is just another blown opportunity(as yet another AFC team possibly emerges better than Buffalo in Houston).

Admit it, you're the one who came up with the Air Force's catchy slogan of "Aim High," amirite? :)

In all seriousness, of course the goal was and always should be Super Bowl or bust. That said, with the team left for dead at 6-6 and the firing of the OC, Dunne article etc., what they've accomplished since that time deserves its own special bouquet of flowers imo, regardless of the outcome this week. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Rich Stadium Original said:

Yes, the secondary and linebacking corps is fairly beat up...but if Beane did his due diligence,  it shouldn't make a difference

Um yeah that absolutely makes a difference, good coverage forces the QB to hang on to the ball and gives the pass rush time to effect the passer. They both work together.

• Like (+1) 2

Building a team to beat another team is one of the dumbest moves a GM can make. By the time you are built, that team and the game in general, has already shifted to something else and you are left behind.

Just build the best F$#&in team of a$$-kicking football players and be the team everyone else needs to build to beat.

Beane has already done his job and put together a talented roster. Now lets see what the coach does when the going gets tough.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I actually think we may see a sack from Von this game. I’m gonna go on a limb and say he has one sack and a few pressures. I’ll also say he gets run at by Pacheco and gives up some big runs

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They haven’t been hit harder with most with injuries… they lost Milano/Jones/White early. Replaced White with Douglas, Jones is back and only Milano is out for the year…. They are certainly banged up going into Sunday but more than most? No way…. This is the roster McBeane put together. A loss Sunday is still a failure season despite them coming back from the dead IMO. 

The goal was and has been SB though. It was never about making the playoffs. Coming up short again is a failure… losing out in the divisional game again is just another blown opportunity(as yet another AFC team possibly emerges better than Buffalo in Houston).

If you put our injury list next to the Chief’s injury list, you might notice some differences. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I mean, really - what other GM would anyone want?

What he did after we lost White, Milano and Jones, he was fantastic.  And now we see a lot of draft picks really pan out - Bernard, Epenesa, Cook, Shakir, Kincaid, even Oliver is exceeding expectations.

He's doing as good a job as anyone.

Edited by Success
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.