Fake Slide should be 15 yard penalty

Zerovoltz

14 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

Allen with the blatant fake slide on the long run, then later draws a 15 yard penalty on a late hit on slide where the defender didn't hit his head.....but can you blame him for going for the tackle based on the fake earlier?  

The slide is a play intended to protect the QB, not to do what Allen did.  That was garbage.

You know, what is it with Chiefs and the ref blaming this season? 

Let's talk garbage. You directly benefited from that terrible fourth quarter call in the Super Bowl... the refs called that game for 3 quarters one way and in the 4th quarter a different way and handed you a championship.

32 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Im seeing this 'fake slide' thing coming from spiteful Miami and Kansas City, but it didnt even cross my mind.

Watching the replay it doesnt look like the beginning of a slide at all.  It looks like a sudden change in direction on a somewhat slippery field to hit a hole.  

Yeah just the three fanbases of the Dolphins, Chiefs, and Steelers I wonder why.....🤔

I definitely agree with the OP that fake slides should be a penalty. I don't really why this is a topic right now though. I don't remember seeing a fake slide since Pickett did it in college.

15 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

The nearest defender was 7 yards away.....

Do you hear yourself? If the nearest defender is 7 yards away, in what world would Josh Allen slide?

when has josh allen EVER slid when the nearest defender was 7 yards away. L O L 

27 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

@ZerovoltzIf Josh was a fake slide, then this was one too...

Yes it's on the exact same level.   He paused like he *might* do if he was going to either slide down or head out of bounds.  Or like he might do if he was pondering where to run.    And he has done that frequently throughout his career.   At this point as fans we just assume he will do that and blame the defense if they allow him to get those extra yards.    I guess @Zerovoltz just thinks it's "unfair" because Allen typically trucks or leaps over defenders when he gets downfield.........but that doesn't make it "unfair" when Allen does it. 

This is the textbook example of a fake slide........as executed by Pittsburgh QB Kenny Pickett:

31 minutes ago, x-BillzeBubba said:

The Steelers should be embarrassed by this.  The key blocks that sprung that run downfield were thrown by Deonte Harty and Andy Isabella.  

#23 went down like a ton of bricks and even Patrick Peterson wanted no part of Josh.  Defenders are making business decisions when they see that freight train coming at them, and that's fine.  What's not fine is trying to paper it over by claiming it was a "fake slide."  It makes them sound like a drunk standing by himself in a bar who says "if there wasn't all these guys holding me back, I'd kick your ass."  

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, x-BillzeBubba said:

He definitely thought about sliding.  But allen has never enjoyed the slide.

the reason this worked is bc Steelers #20 kept face guarding the receiver even tho allen was about 20 yards past the LOS.  Then -#20 spun around so he could be easily blocked haha.

watch that play again, wtf is Steelers #20 doing!?!? You’d think he was on offense blocking!

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, BRH said:

The Steelers should be embarrassed by this.  The key blocks that sprung that run downfield were thrown by Deonte Harty and Andy Isabella.  

#23 went down like a ton of bricks and even Patrick Peterson wanted no part of Josh.  Defenders are making business decisions when they see that freight train coming at them, and that's fine.  What's not fine is trying to paper it over by claiming it was a "fake slide."  It makes them sound like a drunk standing by himself in a bar who says "if there wasn't all these guys holding me back, I'd kick your ass."  

On the Josh run AND the Shakir touchdown, there were a lot of Steelers pumping their arms and making it look like they were trying hard for the tape, but not really trying at all and just running along. They were done.

Just now, peterpan said:

He definitely thought about sliding.  But allen has never enjoyed the slide.

the reason this worked is bc Steelers #20 kept face guarding the receiver even tho allen was about 20 yards past the LOS.  Then -#20 spun around so he could be easily blocked haha.

watch that play again, wtf is Steelers #20 doing!?!? You’d think he was on offense blocking!

I call that "going through the motions".

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It was awesome from Josh and we ain’t apologizing. But there would be a full on melt down if Mahomes did this to us haha!

it is BS because the nfl has defenders afraid to breathe on qbs now. So we’re not giving the points back but I bet this does get addressed in the offseason. 

he was several yards away from any defender engaging a tackle- it’s not like they pulled up last second. Even if they read it as a slide they could continue to close space before making a decision

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

As clear as can be he's not sliding he's juking some defenders out of theirs shoes, I don't think it can get any clearer than from this angle.

Idk, the way he leaned back a little, kinda looked like the beginning of a slide, intentionally or not.  

Regardless it is absolutely true that defenders are scared to hit or tackle anyone.  If they hit someone on the sideline it’s a penalty, even if they are in bounds.  Later in this game, Allen got a call for being hit on his slide.  He slide late and the defender pulled off as best he could in that situation, and it’s still a penalty.

Basically the defender is left to assume there’s a slide coming or assume the qb will just run out of bounds. If they react with a tackle, it’s called a penalty almost every time.   Mahomes does the fake “I’m headed out of bounds” all the time and draws flags when he is still in bounds all the time.

• Disagree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This Sunday is going to be interesting, which team/qb will the script have winning? The refs don’t call holding on the Chefs, pass interference is in the eye of the beholder and which all star qb gets the most phantom calls or non-calls for that matter? The game is starting to resemble the NBA. 

• Vomit 1

11 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

he was several yards away from any defender engaging a tackle- it’s not like they pulled up last second. Even if they read it as a slide they could continue to close space before making a decision

Steelers players were looking for any excuse to give up on the play and did just that, and then folks are upset with Josh for the Steelers' weak performance.

Any defender who wants to win would have closed that distance to make sure he slid and still had plenty of time and space to pull up.

Steelers just gave up.

• Agree 2