Donald lining up at DE

I must admit I haven't watched much of the Rams. But Donald is playing some DE this game. Some with a 4 man front some with a 3 man front. 

Two questions...

1. Has he done this a lot in the past?

2. Any chance McD is watching and we see Jones and Joseph at DT with Oliver at DE? That puts our three best run defenders on the line. 

I wouldn’t recommend moving Oliver to DE with the expectation that it will improve the run defense.  Generally, a team does that on obvious passing downs.  You don’t typically want a DT trying to set the edge.

48 minutes ago, Billl said:

I wouldn’t recommend moving Oliver to DE with the expectation that it will improve the run defense.  Generally, a team does that on obvious passing downs.  You don’t typically want a DT trying to set the edge.

Yeah I was thinking more so you can get two bigger DT in the middle. Steelers run between the tackles. I would like to see both Jones and Joseph lined up in the middle together. 

I hope Settle is inactive in favor of Joseph and Ford

53 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I know Kansas city does this a lot with Chris jones .

I don't know if Oliver has the length to play outside end on passing downs like a Donald or Chris jones does though 

He has rushed from the outside occasionally over 4 years... I think he's even landed a sack

He's usually better stunting around the tackle from the three technique spot though

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I must admit I haven't watched much of the Rams. But Donald is playing some DE this game. Some with a 4 man front some with a 3 man front. 

Two questions...

2. Any chance McD is watching and we see Jones and Joseph at DT with Oliver at DE? That puts our three best run defenders on the line. 

Yes.

And yes. Oliver has lined up at DE on a couple of occasions this season.

23 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He has rushed from the outside occasionally over 4 years... I think he's even landed a sack

He's usually better stunting around the tackle from the three technique spot though

Chris Jones has rushed from the outside more than occasionally. He has rushed from the outside multiple times in every game this season. And has gotten more than one sack this season running from the outside. 

That being said, Oliver is not Chris Jones. 

Just now, bobobonators said:

Chris Jones has rushed from the outside more than occasionally. He has rushed from the outside multiple times in every game this season. And has gotten more than one sack this season running from the outside. 

Oh I'm not comparing him .. Chris Jones does rush from the outside a good amount

And Oliver has only done it a few times in years ... Ofc they aren't the same but the question was has he done it

26 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Oh has he actually? I stand corrected then.

I just knew the concern coming out of college was his arm length, so I figured he would probably struggle against Offensive tackles

Just now, BillsFan130 said:

Oh has he actually? I stand corrected then.

I just knew the concern coming out of college was his arm length, so I figured he would probably struggle against Offensive tackles

He's not out there alot ... A few snaps in 4 years... But I've seen it

He is really good stunting around the edge tho ... Better than lining up straight up

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, bobobonators said:

Indeed the Chiefs going back a couple of years tried to make Jones a full time defensive end. It didn't work. He is much better rushing as a 3T.

With all of these interior pass rushers it is a nice change up to use them off the edge in certain pass rush looks but long term it is equivalent of buying a Ferrari and then driving it just in your local neighbourhood for the school run and the supermarket. 

And as for the idea that it helps your run D.... I'm not so sure. The Bills have decent run defenders on the edge. Groot is one of the best in the league in that category. 

I also think people are acting like we are about to play Bill Cowher's Steelers who can mash you on the ground. This group will try and run the ball to stay out of 3rd and long and they have two solid backs but if the Bills just play their keys, trust their fundamentals and execute they don't need any special plans or funky formations to stop this version of the Steelers in the run game. As one recently fired coach woukd say - just do your job. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Two questions...

I think Lawson is better run defender at DE then Oliver would be 

10 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

I know Kansas city does this a lot with Chris jones .

I don't know if Oliver has the length to play outside end on passing downs like a Donald or Chris jones does though 

length? 

2 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Arm length. He has really small arms relative to other d lineman and that was the one red Flag for him coming into the NFL

ok, thanks....not sure what that meant

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Two questions...

I have pushed for this a few times.

Fine for this game. But if you haven’t heard, we already beat the Steelers and it’s on to KC. In THAT game, Espenesa and Rousseau need to tackle Mahomes and push him into Oliver/Jones/Joseph in the middle. Can’t be letting Pat run around those edges. 

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

Arm length. He has really small arms relative to other d lineman and that was the one red Flag for him coming into the NFL

Yea Ed's arm length is below the ideal for a Dlineman. He isn't Calijah Kancey, who has sub 30 inch arms or anything but it is on the smaller end. Ed is 31.75. Aaron Donald is also on the smaller end at 32.5 compared to someone like Chris Jones who is 34.5. I do think it has probably cost Ed half a dozen sacks or so over the years where he has been right there and just not had that bit of extra length to drag a guy down. But he has still been a disruptor inside. Outside when backs are trying to run at your outside shoulder those long arms matter way, way more. And that is why Groot is so good in those situations.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Two questions...

Not sure if McD has ever thought of it but i have always wanted to see the Bills put Oliver at DE just for  few plays a game to keep the opposition guessing & with his great first step i bet he could raise some hell out there ...

13 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yeah. Basically, we can do that. However, with Rousseau and Floyd already in place and needing to replace Oliver with Poona Ford in the middle the situations where it's useful are limited 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.