Why does this team always seem like it's running on fumes?

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

49ers did lose 3 straight at one point this season.  

That might as well of been a lifetime ago, at this point I’m sure the fan base out there is feeling pretty good as they should

These guys are human, and although they are pros and are supposed to have their best day every day, it must be natural for a team that has been good for a while to just want the playoffs to begin. 

I mean, fans feel it sometimes, like the season is just preseason, especially if you are still trying to get over the playoff hump. 

You've got this nasty taste in your mouth from last year's playoffs but you can't do anything about it until mid January. 

We beat KC in KC in the regular season 3 times in a row! But not when it really mattered (this is what I mean). 

Edited by TheFunPolice

I think the Bills have alot of talented, older, expensive vets that get injured as the season wears on.

Bills always start the season as though they are shot out of a cannon.  the D and O are at full force.

But as the season wears on the older vets get injured and the younger inexperienced players have to fill in.

Because of cap reasons, the Bills will be forced to get younger in 2024 so the problem should get better.

46 minutes ago, major said:

Because most of the league is equal. There aren’t great teams anymore.

It has always been like that, to a certain extent. At least in the salary cap era. The one big exception is the Tom Brady Patriots.

I'm in the camp that sure last year they really were running on fumes and it's hard to fault them after everything they had to endure....I disagree they are running on fumes right now this season, it's more just an inconsistent level of play. 

17 hours ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

It's felt this way the past three seasons. They just always seem mentally exhausted. Tons of games where they have no spark, nothing goes smoothly, players constantly looking beleaguered and embattled...it's weird, right? I can't put my finger on it, but there has been something off mentally with them for a long time.

My gut says it's coaching, but the players supposedly like McDermott & Co.

He’s right guys, check the Bills record under McDermott in December.  It checks out

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I wouldn't say fumes is the right word.  

The offense looks like they're pressing and not playing loose.  

Starts with the QB… 

18 hours ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

It's felt this way the past three seasons. They just always seem mentally exhausted. Tons of games where they have no spark, nothing goes smoothly, players constantly looking beleaguered and embattled...it's weird, right? I can't put my finger on it, but there has been something off mentally with them for a long time.

My gut says it's coaching, but the players supposedly like McDermott & Co.

I don't agree that the team always looks mentally exhausted.  

But the team does look unexceptional at times.  I think that a factor of (1) poor offensive scheming, and (2) an unfair share of injuries to key players.  

23 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

I noticed through your sarcasm that you conveniently didn't mention the annual meltdown in January.

Meltdown?  They lost to the #2 and #3 seeds in consecutive years.  Not really egregious losses

I don't know, it seems like they were super amped for the game against Dallas and then to follow that up on a short week, across the country, with no game film because of a new coaching staff I thought they played well, then you can't tell me that the Defense was not amped up to play the Cheaters and totally set the tone.  I am sorry, not to be an apologist for the offense, but to go against Belichick's defense is no small task.  They did what they had to do to get the W.

I thought Bills have played really solid December football.  When it comes to wins in December and January, they don't ask how, they just ask how many.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Meltdown?  They lost to the #2 and #3 seeds in consecutive years.  Not really egregious losses

Yeah, the Chiefs loss, where they gave up 17 points after the two minute warning, including the tying score after they went ahead with 13 seconds left, wasn't that bad at all. It wasted the greatest postseason a QB ever had and probably cost them a Super Bowl title, but it's okay because they were playing a #2 seed.

57 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Yeah, the Chiefs loss, where they gave up 17 points after the two minute warning, including the tying score after they went ahead with 13 seconds left, wasn't that bad at all. It wasted the greatest postseason a QB ever had and probably cost them a Super Bowl title, but it's okay because they were playing a #2 seed.

And you think that game was a result of them "running on fumes"? :blink:

21 hours ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

For every Dallas game, there's three games like the Giants or Broncos or Chargers game. 

Well, I guess this would explain why they are currently 4-12.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.