Can Khalil Shakir be WR2 next season?

2 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

100 Receptions

1096 yards

8 TDs

Yeah he's in decline say's I sarcastically.

I do agree though that a new receiver, a 1B receiver would make the Offense much better. Someone who can step into the 1A job when Diggs leaves in a couple years.

look at the second half of the season—his decline is represented well right there.  Fully have of his yards came in 5 games—all before Oct 22. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

100 Receptions

1096 yards

8 TDs

Yeah he's in decline say's I sarcastically.

I do agree though that a new receiver, a 1B receiver would make the Offense much better. Someone who can step into the 1A job when Diggs leaves in a couple years.

These are Stevie Johnson numbers. Whaaaa

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

then we picked the wrong WR in April....

It would be highly optimistic to think that a rookie WR will immediately rise to #1 , not to mention an unfair expectation of him. The way I see this playing out:

- Davis leaves

- WR is picked in top 2 rounds with the intent of becoming # 1 

- Diggs* transitions to #2 role and stays with the Bills

- Harty and Sherfield are gone

- Shakir is expected to be #3 and will solidify his spot there

- A 30 something WR is picked up to be the #4

*I think his decline in production is due to injury and not due to him suddenly hitting a wall. He has very reliable hands and will be a good mentor for a rookie. However, the unknown factor is if Beane asks him to take a paycut - will Diggs agree or pout and leave?

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Diggs contract is hefty and runs through the next three seasons.  The Bills would take a big cap hit if he is gone before the 2027 season.

If cut after the 2024 season, there would be a cap savings of around $5M.  Depending on how 2024 goes, that could happen.

11 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

It would be highly optimistic to think that a rookie WR will immediately rise to #1 , not to mention an unfair expectation of him. The way I see this playing out:

- Davis leaves

*I think his decline in production is due to injury and not due to him suddenly hitting a wall. He has very reliable hands and will be a good mentor for a rookie. However, the unknown factor is if Beane asks him to take a paycut - will Diggs agree or pout and leave?

Or we run the offense through Kincaid who starts to put up Kelce numbers and Diggs can slowly decline over a couple seasons and ride off into the sunset

1 hour ago, Maine-iac said:

Or we run the offense through Kincaid who starts to put up Kelce numbers and Diggs can slowly decline over a couple seasons and ride off into the sunset

We need a WR and Kincaid, while having an important part in the offense, cannot be a substitute

1 hour ago, Fan in Chicago said:

However, the unknown factor is if Beane asks him to take a paycut - will Diggs agree or pout and leave?

So you are saying that you realize Diggs is probably just playing thru an injury that he can rehab from in the offseason.........but think Beane is going to ask him to take a paycut after another 100+ catch 1100+ yard season?    

• Haha (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Kincaid Kool-Aid said:

Only thing that makes me nervous is Beane hasn’t proven to be the best WR talent evaluator. Maybe it’s not all on him and it’s highly possible our carousel of coordinators have been less than stellar in their passing game concepts as well, but outside of grabbing an established talent in Diggs his track record at the position isn’t exactly inspiring 

though he’s used very low resources for the most part 

gabe isn’t a reliable two but was a good draft pick, for instance. 

mist of his swings have been day 3

31 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

though he’s used very low resources for the most part 

gabe isn’t a reliable two but was a good draft pick, for instance. 

mist of his swings have been day 3

Fair point. On the flip side, isn’t the lack of premium resources allocated towards arguably the second or third most important position on the team in itself a display of poor judgement at some point?

The NFL is clearly now a passing league and has been for some time, so relying on late round picks or cheap journeyman free agent signings and hoping for a diamond in the rough doesn’t seem particularly wise if that’s the main strategy. Outside of Diggs obviously and Beasley (at least his first couple years) it’s been pretty much a disaster, although let’s at least hope Shakir continues to develop into a decent #3.

To be fair to Beane, not sure how much clout McD has in the draft/free agency process but suspect he has quite a bit of influence. If so, it’s probably more than fair to assume he skews towards adding more high level pieces to the defense given our draft/free agency history, so that could also be a huge factor in the overall lack of WR talent brought in in recent years.

To sum up it’s probably a combo of at least 2 of the below 3 things-

1. Lack of WR talent evaluation aptitude (Beane)

2. Outsized focus on allocating resources to the D (McD)

3. inability of the OC dujour to develop/utilize receivers effectively 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So you are saying that you realize Diggs is probably just playing thru an injury that he can rehab from in the offseason.........but think Beane is going to ask him to take a paycut after another 100+ catch 1100+ yard season?    

Fair point. 

Ithink the cut could discussed as Diggs will be, what 31 next season? But yea, I agree it will be a tough discussion  

Khalil is a natural 3 receiver who has a nice game to him. The number 2 has to be a vertical threat who can gain separation.
The thing is Josh has a little Matt Ryan in him from his prime days he would just constantly heave up balls to Julio Jones and say go get it sometimes it worked sometimes it didn’t.

Josh needs that kind of receiver. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Fair point. 

Ithink the cut could discussed as Diggs will be, what 31 next season? But yea, I agree it will be a tough discussion  

I think if we look at players who are asked to take pay cuts and agree there is usually leverage on the team’s side:

1) no or very low guaranteed money for the upcoming season

2) low or manageable dead money if the player were to be cut

In Diggs case, his $18.5M 2024 salary guarantees in March 2024, and the Bills would accrue $31.9M dead cap if they cut him.  

So what would be Diggs motivation to listen to that?

• Agree 1

Curtis Samuel makes a lot of sense in my opinion. He can play inside and out, runs 4.31. Isn’t huge but isn’t a smurf. He played for Joe Brady under Matt Rhule, and had his most productive season. Brandon Beane also had a hand in drafting him before he came to Buffalo. To me, Samuel is what they need. Ideally they draft a guy who is 6-4 and runs 4.31. But Samuel is probably in that tier right below Higgins etc in terms of free agency. I’m not sure they will go after a Higgins. This team needs speed.  

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

- Davis leaves

what injury?

Diggs was a 5 star recruit who, after a somewhat underwhelming college career, made an All Rookie team with the Vikings.   The guy who replaced him has been the best WR in the league since day 1.  

Look at the top 5 WR this year: Hill,  Lamb, AJ Brown, Nacua, St. Brown---all high were  impact immediately. Same for the next 5 (Aiyuk, Moore, Cooper, Allen, Evans.  Why can't that happen in Buffalo?

Problem is that Beane and McD have famously struggled to recognize the need for, or draft, really good WRs. 

12 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

every young TE wants to "put up" GOAT numbers, lol. it's pretty unlikely.  this Offense won't be running through Kincaid.

9 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Curtis Samuel makes a lot of sense in my opinion. He can play inside and out, runs 4.31. Isn’t huge but isn’t a smurf. He played for Joe Brady under Matt Rhule, and had his most productive season. Brandon Beane also had a hand in drafting him before he came to Buffalo. To me, Samuel is what they need. Ideally they draft a guy who is 6-4 and runs 4.31. But Samuel is probably in that tier right below Higgins etc in terms of free agency. I’m not sure they will go after a Higgins. This team needs speed.  

as WR1?

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

every young TE wants to "put up" GOAT numbers, lol. it's pretty unlikely.  this Offense won't be running through Kincaid.

I wasn't being serious. 

Edited by Maine-iac
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

as WR1?

Nah WR2, a Gabe Davis replacement...I don't think we can find a WR1 in free agency. Diggs is 1, Samuel 2, Shakir 3...hopefully, they draft a premium WR somehow who could push that pecking order down. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

what injury?

Diggs was a 5 star recruit who, after a somewhat underwhelming college career, made an All Rookie team with the Vikings.   The guy who replaced him has been the best WR in the league since day 1.  

Look at the top 5 WR this year: Hill,  Lamb, AJ Brown, Nacua, St. Brown---all high were  impact immediately. Same for the next 5 (Aiyuk, Moore, Cooper, Allen, Evans.  Why can't that happen in Buffalo?

Problem is that Beane and McD have famously struggled to recognize the need for, or draft, really good WRs. 

Your response is going in multiple directions so let comment:

- Injury: Looking at his performance before and after end-October leads me to believe he is nursing and playing through an injury. A person of his skills doesnt lose it seemingly overnight. He has been our best receiver prior to it, has good hands, makes tough catches and gets adequate separation. 

- Yes, he may not be a top 5 receiver in the league but he fits the Bills offense. Our goal should be to spread the ball around and if he is consistently delivering 1000+ yard seasons, I want to stick with him till his skills really decline.

- Agreed that Beane has not handled the draft well when it comes to WRs

I know you like Davis but let the recent performance by Diggs not cloud your judgment. Diggs has been by far the more consistent player for the Bills prior to October

11 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I think if we look at players who are asked to take pay cuts and agree there is usually leverage on the team’s side:

1) no or very low guaranteed money for the upcoming season

2) low or manageable dead money if the player were to be cut

In Diggs case, his $18.5M 2024 salary guarantees in March 2024, and the Bills would accrue $31.9M dead cap if they cut him.  

So what would be Diggs motivation to listen to that?

See my response to WEO and to BADOL - i Understand it is weak case to ask for a paycut but it depends on the extent to which injury has affected his play lately. And, I certainly do not want to cut or trade him. 

19 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

See my response to WEO and to BADOL - i Understand it is weak case to ask for a paycut but it depends on the extent to which injury has affected his play lately. And, I certainly do not want to cut or trade him. 

Apologies, but I'm not going to wade through the thread to find it.

It really doesn't depend upon the "extent to which injury has affected his play lately".  No NFL player's agent worth his salt is going to acknowledge a falloff in skill on the part of his player when many other things can legit contribute - offensive scheme, quality of pass protection, usage, inaccurate throws from the QB.

Diggs is currently a top-10 receiver in the league for receptions.  His agents will argue he can't control how he is being used (all those stupid screens that don't work) or the accuracy of his QB's throws.  They're not gonna go with "hey, he's being paid like a #5 but producing like a #15 for yards so sure, we'll take a salary cut we don't have to take".

Edited by Beck Water

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Nah WR2, a Gabe Davis replacement...I don't think we can find a WR1 in free agency. Diggs is 1, Samuel 2, Shakir 3...hopefully, they draft a premium WR somehow who could push that pecking order down. 

Davis at 4 seasons has only 600 fewer yards, more TDs than Samuel at 7.   He'[s had one career season over 700 yards.  Davis has had 2 in 4. 

The guy isn't in any way an upgrade over Davis. He's not even an upgrade over Shakir.  

This would be the typical dumb Bills WR off-season WR move: nearly dead Beasley/John Brown, Crowder, Sanders, Andre Roberts, Duke Williams, Kelvin Benjamin..

Just an endless stream of bums passing though.  no thanks

13 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Your response is going in multiple directions so let comment:

- Injury: Looking at his performance before and after end-October leads me to believe he is nursing and playing through an injury. A person of his skills doesnt lose it seemingly overnight. He has been our best receiver prior to it, has good hands, makes tough catches and gets adequate separation. 

- Yes, he may not be a top 5 receiver in the league but he fits the Bills offense. Our goal should be to spread the ball around and if he is consistently delivering 1000+ yard seasons, I want to stick with him till his skills really decline.

- Agreed that Beane has not handled the draft well when it comes to WRs

I know you like Davis but let the recent performance by Diggs not cloud your judgment. Diggs has been by far the more consistent player for the Bills prior to October

I know it's popular around here to invent or postulate injuries for when players start to hit the tank, but you're making that up. McD denied this was the case just yesterday when directly asked. 

Davis and Diggs can be evaluated and discussed separately---and Diggs performance since mid-October is what it is, it can't be "clouded" by thoughts about the performance of another receiver.  It's a huge issue that everyone is talking about. 

14 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Apologies, but I'm not going to wade through the thread to find it.

It really doesn't depend upon the "extent to which injury has affected his play lately".  No NFL player's agent worth his salt is going to accept a falloff in skill on the part of his player when many other things can legit contribute - offensive scheme, quality of pass protection, usage, inaccurate throws from the QB.

Diggs is currently a top-10 receiver in the league for receptions.  His agents will argue he can't control how he is being used (all those stupid screens that don't work) or the accuracy of his QB's throws.  They're not gonna go with "hey, he's being paid like a #5 but producing like a #15 for yards so sure, we'll take a salary cut we don't have to take".

You don't have to dig back. I have already backed off on my initial suggestion to ask him for a paycut. So, there isnt anything for you and I to argue about. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Davis at 4 seasons has only 600 fewer yards, more TDs than Samuel at 7.   He'[s had one career season over 700 yards.  Davis has had 2 in 4. 

The guy isn't in any way an upgrade over Davis. He's not even an upgrade over Shakir.  

This would be the typical dumb Bills WR off-season WR move: nearly dead Beasley/John Brown, Crowder, Sanders, Andre Roberts, Duke Williams, Kelvin Benjamin..

I think it is a fair argument. I am thinking about the offense overall. I think Davis has his ups and downs, but he isn't special and I think you can replace his production with mid-round guys. I like that he is big, but he doesn't play big. Maybe that can develop over time. Samuel isn't special either, but his speed is his standout trait that we don't have on the roster. I'd give him the money over Davis. I don't think they will be able to afford a Tee Higgins type. So wading into the next tier and Samuel makes sense to me. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I know it's popular around here to invent or postulate injuries for when players start to hit the tank, but you're making that up. McD denied this was the case just yesterday when directly asked. 

"making that up" implies I am stating that as a fact. I am not. I said "leads me to believe" which means i see his history and cannot believe that he suddenly declined mid-season. Also, you dont know for sure that he is not injured. McD is not going to state that and tip the upcoming opposition.

We will know for sure in the offseason. 

• Agree 1

On 1/2/2024 at 2:23 AM, Aussie Joe said:

I’m not arguing otherwise

Is a good one going to be available though when they pick? we will see 

And they won’t be able to move up either 

Why the heck not? They damn well better move up if that's what takes to get one of the consensus top 5-6 receivers (assuming they like the guy).  There certainly won't be 6 receivers taken in the top 15.  If it can be had without costing a first round pick in 2025, it's an absolute must no hesitation. 

6 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

You don't have to dig back. I have already backed off on my initial suggestion to ask him for a paycut. So, there isnt anything for you and I to argue about. 

Oh, C'mon.  With a 53 man roster, practice squad, 32 teams in the league, and a Win-and-In game that's essentially "Win or Go Home", SURELY we can find something?

3 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think it is a fair argument. I am thinking about the offense overall. I think Davis has his ups and downs, but he isn't special and I think you can replace his production with mid-round guys. I like that he is big, but he doesn't play big. Maybe that can develop over time. Samuel isn't special either, but his speed is his standout trait that we don't have on the roster. I'd give him the money over Davis. I don't think they will be able to afford a Tee Higgins type. So wading into the next tier and Samuel makes sense to me. 

what has Samuel's "stand ou" trait brought any team so far?  why would you pay for that?  his 4.31 was like 8 years ago.  

He's a downgrade at WR2 (like all the bums I mentioned that have taken a check from McBeane and are long gone).  you have to do better than that...

2 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

"making that up" implies I am stating that as a fact. I am not. I said "leads me to believe" which means i see his history and cannot believe that he suddenly declined mid-season. Also, you dont know for sure that he is not injured. McD is not going to state that and tip the upcoming opposition.

he's not injured.  I don't know even what type of injury you are imagining--something that had no obvious antecedent, caused no missed and has been kept off the weekly injury report for 3 months straight?  

why would anyone believe that?  clearly the lack of a mentioned injury has NOT stopped every D he has faced from stuffing Diggs, so your argument also makes no sense.  They are all already "tipped" on Diggs. 

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Davis and Diggs can be evaluated and discussed separately---and Diggs performance since mid-October is what it is, it can't be "clouded" by thoughts about the performance of another receiver.  It's a huge issue that everyone is talking about. 

It was noted that he had a back issue about the time that his production started to drop off.    It's not something he can't practice and play thru obviously so they likely don't see the value in reporting it........but it could be significantly impacting his game.    Pretty common for us to find out AFTER the season about these things.   No advantage whatsoever to divulge unusual discomfort that might be slowing him down.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Right.  I pointed this out elsewhere, but it's worth re-stating here.

In early 2020, Jerry Hughes posted on social media about having surgery to repair torn ligaments in his wrist which he had played through all 2019 season.

He appeared on injury report, but only for "Vet Rest".

The NFL investigated whether the Bills had violated their injury reporting policy - and concluded that the Bills had done nothing wrong

This is for a documented, acknowledged by the player, honest to god "I was playing with torn wrist ligaments all season long" injury.

I think McDermott's actual words were "nothing significant" or something like that.  So we all need to calibrate that against the learning that apparently playing through actual torn ligaments requiring surgery is "nothing significant" per the Bills, and the NFL actually agreed with them.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It was noted that he had a back issue about the time that his production started to drop off.    It's not something he can't practice and play thru obviously so they likely don't see the value in reporting it........but it could be significantly impacting his game.    Pretty common for us to find out AFTER the season about these things.   No advantage whatsoever to divulge unusual discomfort that might be slowing him down.

every guy is playing hurt.  

As for the bolded, posters mention this a lot--but it makes little sense.  It's up there with "bulletin board materail" and "trap games", "Santa Claus".  Stuff fans like to talk about.

obviously keeping the opposition "in the dark" about some presumed Diggs injury has  has had "no advantage whatsoever" for Diggs or the Bills---he's getting shut down all the same. 

18 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I will rephrase (see above)--I assume Diggs is as banged up as any player.  I have no evidence or reason to believe he is debilitated to the point where he has declined for 3 months.  

His HC says his decreased snaps are not injury related and, specifically, that there is nothing medically wrong with him. 

As for his decreased snap counts--this mostly started when Brady took over----and it was explicitly by desing:

"Look, I think there's times where we definitely tag him out of plays," Brady said. "I think it was something earlier in the season we talked about to get to where we want to get -- to just not playing (that many snaps)."

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Exactly.  There is ample precedent for players, after the season, to report on actual surgery-requiring injuries (Hughes) or that the injury reported bluntly as "ribs" was actually multiple broken bones (Fitzpatrick, Beasley).  These may or may not have appeared on the injury report, and if they did appear on the injury report, they may have disappeared more promptly than the typical course of healing for such an injury would suggest.

I believe you're one of the guys who has pointed out that Diggs gets assaulted on almost every play.  Opponents "accidentally" kick or knee or elbow his head, often while he's down, with no repercussions from the ref.  It's why on some "mic'd up" segments you can see other players racing over after he's tackled yelling as they go "HEY HEY HEY HEY I'M HERE I'M HERE I'M HERE!" (Davis in one mic'd up segment).  

We all saw "Sauce" Gardner viciously supplex Diggs during the Nov. 19 Jets game.  It's not hard to believe that at the least, that caused a massive contusion, even if the team (and Diggs) don't consider it significant enough to report.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

every guy is playing hurt.  

As for the bolded, posters mention this a lot--but it makes little sense.  It's up there with "bulletin board materail" and "trap games", "Santa Claus".  Stuff fans like to talk about.

obviously keeping the opposition "in the dark" about some presumed Diggs injury has  has had "no advantage whatsoever" for Diggs or the Bills---he's getting shut down all the same. 

Knowing that his back is hurting him might incline certain tacklers to risk penalty to body slam him to the turf in hopes of knocking him out of the game.

Simple as that.

Everyone is playing hurt.....generous of you to acknowledge that after denying the possibility prior:lol:..........but that doesn't account for to what degree it is impacting their ability to perform.

• Agree 1

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Knowing that his back is hurting him might incline certain tacklers to risk penalty to body slam him to the turf in hopes of knocking him out of the game.

Simple as that.

Everyone is playing hurt.....generous of you to acknowledge that after denying the possibility prior:lol:..........but that doesn't account for to what degree it is impacting their ability to perform.

As everyone know, "hurt" isn't the same as "injury"--so why try to make such a point?

Again, Defenders have needed no such "inside info" to slow down Diggs, so his decline has proven your premise false.  Also, "body slamming" a player to "take him out of a game"  is an option on any tackle.  If it really had that result with any frequency, and for such a  low cost (15 yarder), logic dictates that you would see guys taking the penalty on an opposing WR1 more frequently.   But you don't.  So that's another dumb argument that gets endlessly repeated here.

37 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Davis will get a bigger FA deal than Samuel. Without question. He isn't a bad suggestion as your "vet floor" for WR2 though. And then hopefully you find a draft pick who ultimately makes Samuel the first guy in off the bench who had inside / outside flex.

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Oh, C'mon.  With a 53 man roster, practice squad, 32 teams in the league, and a Win-and-In game that's essentially "Win or Go Home", SURELY we can find something?

There is always "Josh doesnt take the easy throws" to fall back on 😃

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Davis will get a bigger FA deal than Samuel. Without question. He isn't a bad suggestion as your "vet floor" for WR2 though. And then hopefully you find a draft pick who ultimately makes Samuel the first guy in off the bench who had inside / outside flex.

Yeah, Gabe gets more. I think that is going to be a crazy market. Not a lot out there so I think young guys like Gabe and Micahel Pittman are going to get seriously overpaid. 

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

As everyone know, "hurt" isn't the same as "injury"--so why try to make such a point?

Again, Defenders have needed no such "inside info" to slow down Diggs, so his decline has proven your premise false.  Also, "body slamming" a player to "take him out of a game"  is an option on any tackle.  If it really had that result with any frequency, and for such a  low cost (15 yarder), logic dictates that you would see guys taking the penalty on an opposing WR1 more frequently.   But you don't.  So that's another dumb argument that gets endlessly repeated here.

That's meathead speak.   I thought you were in the medical field.:lol:

Usually you hurt because something in that area is injured.   There are varying degrees of the same injury, no?   

You can also be injured but not "hurt".   Thurman Thomas played his entire NFL career with a full torn knee tendon.   

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Simple as that.

To your point:

Diggs appeared on the Bills injury report Week 10 with an injury "back" after a collision with a security guard when he ran OOB Wk 9.  In a rare move for him, he was limited in practice all that week.  Gardner decided to pick him up and supplex him after the whistle Wk 11.  He was penalized and fined 10k, to which he responded ambiguously "pain"

I don't think one has to be a tin-hat conspiracy theorist to think that maybe Gardner knew Diggs had been on the injury report for a back injury the previous week, and  maybe causing him some "pain" could aggravate it and knock him out.

It's a fact that teams follow their opponents injury report and players go after known injured body parts with extra vigor.

It's also a fact that Diggs big drop in productivity followed his Week 9, 6 reception on 7 target 86 yd game against Cincy - after which he showed up on the injury report.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah, Gabe gets more. I think that is going to be a crazy market. Not a lot out there so I think young guys like Gabe and Micahel Pittman are going to get seriously overpaid. 

I hear that the upcoming draft is WR -rich. That may dampen the value of such second tier WRs ahead of the draft. I will be very surprised if any team gives Davis #1WR money like Peerless Price got many moons ago

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.