Why is it so hard for fans to admit reality?

oldmanfan

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

well...they did have to battle that vaunted "interim HC energy"......

There were a lot of things in play against us yesterday. I’m actually encouraged they battled back. After those turnovers, I believe a lot of teams would’ve pack it up. 

Maybe I’m crazy. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

The only thing that sucks is the OP and the endless whining fans during the game.  Clueless entitled fans think every team with a bad record is a weak team that should to be dominated. 

That's basically it.  We think we should beat some of these teams in blowouts, then we don't and fans yelp "aint it awful".

Reality is that every athlete in the NFL is amazing at a level most of us can't imagine. 

You know "that kid" who was easily the star of every sport he played when your kids were in high school?  He washed out of a DII team after 2 years. 

The incredibly athletic big guy who just DOMINATES the pick up volleyball game at the company canoe trip?  He played DI ball, signed as an UDFA, and was cut from the Raiders at the final 53.  They offered him a practice squad spot but he decided he didn't "like pain enough" to play football at the professional level and fell back on his industrial engineering degree.

The practice squad guys on the worst teams are still incredible athletes, and the difference between winning and losing a game can be the attitude and energy the guys take into preparation and then the game. 

A guy like Cook who was extra-sore from a fantastic game last week and then battling illness this week is probably putting himself back on the level of being an ordinary athlete and being susceptible to ordinary athletes '***** him up' with fumbles, just as Micah Parsons was against us last week.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

The reality is we were lucky yesterday.  Josh was bad Josh until the last drive.  Cook had a pivotal fumble.  The defense let a guy with no experience in the league almost win the game for the Bolts.  The only guy that played really well was Oliver.  

Just admit they sucked yesterday and got lucky.  They won’t be that bad every game; I suspect they’ll squish the Fish like Josh always does.  But they sucked yesterday and have too many times this year against inferior competition and that’s why they’re in the position they’re in.

Yea, was absolutely the worst possible thing that could have happened. The Bills played a poor game, on the road. 

And won. Yes, they won. I'm not taking the time to fact check this, however I could SWEAR I have seen teams like the Brady led Patriots and well pretty much every team that has success have rough dog fight games that they have to pull of at the end.

The actual reality of the situation is the Bills are 9-6 and have won 3 straight since the bye. 2 road games and one at home against one of the top teams in the NFC. You and other can yell "Bah Humbug" and channel your inner Scrooge all y'all want. But right now, the Bills path to the playoffs (and VERY possibly to the division title) is in their own hands. Really hard to ask for much more after 15 games of a season. 

What was lucky about that?  We made the plays when it counted.  That’s what the good teams do

its kind of funny hearing fans claim we get lucky honestly…I can’t really think of an unluckier team.  Kickers are 26/27 against us, wrs in close games pull the wildest most improbable td catches out of their a**, bass couldn’t make a fg in a close game,defenders have had insanely good hands anytime there is a ball anywhere near them…does anyone remember a single dropped interception? Lol I don’t. Injuries to pretty much every key defensive player, we were handpicked to be the guinea pig of jax having back to back London games.  The list goes on.  That gift in the giants game was a drop in the bucket 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Yea, was absolutely the worst possible thing that could have happened. The Bills played a poor game, on the road. 

And won. Yes, they won. I'm not taking the time to fact check this, however I could SWEAR I have seen teams like the Brady led Patriots and well pretty much every team that has success have rough dog fight games that they have to pull of at the end.

The actual reality of the situation is the Bills are 9-6 and have won 3 straight since the bye. 2 road games and one at home against one of the top teams in the NFC. You and other can yell "Bah Humbug" and channel your inner Scrooge all y'all want. But right now, the Bills path to the playoffs (and VERY possibly to the division title) is in their own hands. Really hard to ask for much more after 15 games of a season. 

The Chiefs won the SB last year, but in week 15 they needed OT to beat the worst team in the league (Texans) and eked out a 27-24 win against the lowly Broncos in week 17. And we all remember that because we were following along in our hopes for the 1 seed. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

The reality is we were lucky yesterday.  Josh was bad Josh until the last drive.  Cook had a pivotal fumble.  The defense let a guy with no experience in the league almost win the game for the Bolts.  The only guy that played really well was Oliver.  

Just admit they sucked yesterday and got lucky.  They won’t be that bad every game; I suspect they’ll squish the Fish like Josh always does.  But they sucked yesterday and have too many times this year against inferior competition and that’s why they’re in the position they’re in.

I wasn't happy with the game either.  Oliver played well and I thought Ford and Rousseau had some good plays as well.  The Bills had 3 turnovers that led to 13 Chargers points.  That's what kept the Chargers in the game. 

The Harty fumble was utterly stupid and a killer.  He wasn't going anywhere and his fumble led to a Charger TD.  More importantly it gave the Chargers the belief they could win.  This team doesn't play smart ball at times.

• Like (+1) 1

Bills are 4th in EPA offense and 14th in EPA defense in weeks 1-12

Bills are 10th in EPA offense and 11th in EPA defense since the the Eagles games (week 13)

Our fan base really wants to assign order to the last few weeks thinking we have turned some "corner". Reality is 3 of the last 4 could have went either way just as the majority of the games played out in weeks 1-12.  In this iteration 2 of 3 went our way. Earlier in the year, they didn't. The foundation of our play which is captured by EPA suggests very little has changed.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On punt returns:

66 fumbled punts in the NFL so far this season.

14 punts returned 40+ yards.

Of course, not all fumbled punts are recovered by the kicking team.

But still ... if you are clearly the better team (which the Bills were last night), isn't it better to just fair catch every one or let it roll? If you are the worse team, you take the chance on a big special teams play.

I don't get why NFL teams refuse to pound this into their punt/kickoff returners.

18 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

What was lucky about that?  We made the plays when it counted.  That’s what the good teams do

its kind of funny hearing fans claim we get lucky honestly…I can’t really think of an unluckier team.  Kickers are 26/27 against us, wrs in close games pull the wildest most improbable td catches out of their a**, bass couldn’t make a fg in a close game,defenders have had insanely good hands anytime there is a ball anywhere near them…does anyone remember a single dropped interception? Lol I don’t. Injuries to pretty much every key defensive player, we were handpicked to be the guinea pig of jax having back to back London games.  The list goes on.  That gift in the giants game was a drop in the bucket 

So on point.  If we were a lucky team with fair officiating we would be undefeated. 

4 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Bills are 4th in EPA offense and 14th in EPA defense in weeks 1-12

Bills are 10th in EPA offense and 11th in EPA defense since the the Eagles games (week 13)

Our fan base really wants to assign order to the last few weeks thinking we have turned some "corner". Reality is 3 of the last 4 could have went either way just as the majority of the games played out in weeks 1-12.  In this iteration 2 of 3 went our way. Earlier in the year, they didn't. The foundation of our play which is captured by EPA suggests very little has changed.

All true. 

With one caveat: the level of the competition isn't the same. Granted, the Chargers without Herbert are pretty damn poor. But Eagles-Chiefs-Cowboys ain't Pats-Giants-Jets ...

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, mrags said:

Yeah. It was you that jumped into the conversation that you weren’t a part of. Hiding behind an alias no less.. Only 500 posts in 6 years. Just screams your alter ego standing up for yourself once and for all. But somehow I can’t let it go. Here, I’ll be the bigger man and stop replying. I’m guessing you won’t do the same. Because you’re a child that thinks youre special. Heres a hint, you aren’t. 

Still going huh lil buddy? I actually deleted my posts but this was just too good. 

Pulling out Message Board rep huh? Nice! 👍

Not that it matters, but I actually transferred when the BBMB shut down. Decade plus there but you’re obviously much cooler 🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Ya Digg? said:

Ahhhhh there it is!! The old “can’t expect to play like that and beat________” Boeing cliche that’s used in here all the time after a close win. Here’s the thing about close wins-it’s an absolute impossibility to play a flawless game and also have the game be close. All i keep reading all season is “the Bills got lucky that this didn’t happen” no they are winning some close games and losing some close ones. A big complaint on here is the Bills can’t win close games. Guess what, they won a close game yesterday. In case you have forgotten, the other team is also paid to play football too.

i feel like you’re ignoring the responses being made to your posts-not one person has said they played a good game yesterday. They played an ugly game BUT THEY STILL WON. That is infinitely more important than whatever point you’re trying to make 

I’m glad they won.  But we are basically in the playoffs now and they can’t have that kind of effort and continue on.

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

You really have done a 180 since the off-season.

True.  Because the inconsistency is the team is maddening.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.